cjsiege


quality posts: 14 Private Messages cjsiege

Date: Saturday, December 18
Time: 6pm
Host: InShadows
Theme: Winter Whites: heartier whites that will help chase away the chill

Attending:
1. InShadows
2. aranderson
3. k1avg
4. aranderson +1
5. nabrunk

Maybes:
* jwhite6114
* Alaska1
* synchrodan
* synchroamy
* chemvictim
* chemvictim +1
* wkdpanda


Regrets:
* tripgrad
* cjsiege
* bunnymasseuse
* akrenee
* hershelk

aranderson


quality posts: 1 Private Messages aranderson
cjsiege wrote:Since we have several folks who cannot make Black Friday, but can make a December GTG, let's start kicking dates around? Here are the options at the end of the year:

12/4, 11, 18 and 1/1 are the Saturdays. 12/31 is the Bank/Federal Holiday for New Year's Day (if you get the major bank holidays off).



As of right now, I am free all of those days including the 31st.

CT

tripgrad


quality posts: 3 Private Messages tripgrad

Often we struggle to come up with a theme for our GTGs. Here is a suggestion for this or some future gathering:
wines served in the "upper class" cabin
This WSJ article offers a tasting tour of five airlines' top offerings, most of which can be purchased at reasonable prices.

R.I.P.
WINE.W00T NOV 4, 2012

akrenee


quality posts: 0 Private Messages akrenee

I'm available any Saturday after 5! Not the 12/31-01/01...Got an anniversary to celebrate with a certain other wooter!

Alaska1


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Alaska1
akrenee wrote:I'm available any Saturday after 5! Not the 12/31-01/01...Got an anniversary to celebrate with a certain other wooter!



:P

Little Vineyards Sonoma Valley Trio, Chateau Souverain Zinfandel Single-Vineyard Sampler Trio,Armida Winery Poizin Trio,Chase Family,Pack Cellars - Two Pack, Wellington Zinfandel Vertical Four Pack, InZinarator 4 pack, Peter Wellington 2006 Victory Reserve - 2 Pack, Saxon Brown 2008 Sonoma Valley Zinfandel - 3 Pack, Woodenhead Vintners 2006 Martinelli Road Old Vine RRV Zinfandel - 2 Pack

ddeuddeg


quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg

We've never spent New Year's away. This could be the year.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne


Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

InShadows


quality posts: 1 Private Messages InShadows
cjsiege wrote:12/4, 11, 18 and 1/1 are the Saturdays. 12/31 is the Bank/Federal Holiday for New Year's Day (if you get the major bank holidays off).



I can most definitely do 12/4 and 12/18. Maybe is 12/11 since that following week I should be having my final and 1/1 is right out since I will be out of town watching the good ol' hockey game.

CT
“Every time you think something or someone is stupid, it just means there is another thing in this world you don’t understand.” - In memory of Robert, 1975-2009
If you make a man a fire, he'll be warm for a night. If you set him on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Past NoVA Gatherings

cjsiege


quality posts: 14 Private Messages cjsiege

Shall we make a tentative call for 12/18?

tripgrad


quality posts: 3 Private Messages tripgrad
cjsiege wrote:Shall we make a tentative call for 12/18?


12/18 is kinda problem for me
'cause Miami Heat will be playin' DC.

R.I.P.
WINE.W00T NOV 4, 2012

cjsiege


quality posts: 14 Private Messages cjsiege
tripgrad wrote:12/18 is kinda problem for me
'cause Miami Heat will be playin' DC.



OK, here's the rundown:

12/11: no InShadows
12/18: no tripgrad
12/24: no anybody
12/31: no akrenee, Alaska1

I guess the question now becomes: do we have a host? If so, what is the host's schedule?

InShadows


quality posts: 1 Private Messages InShadows
cjsiege wrote:OK, here's the rundown:

12/11: no InShadows
12/18: no tripgrad
12/24: no anybody
12/31: no akrenee, Alaska1, InShadows

I guess the question now becomes: do we have a host? If so, what is the host's schedule?



fixed that for ya..

CT
“Every time you think something or someone is stupid, it just means there is another thing in this world you don’t understand.” - In memory of Robert, 1975-2009
If you make a man a fire, he'll be warm for a night. If you set him on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Past NoVA Gatherings

kylemittskus


quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus

I approve of this title.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

k1avg


quality posts: 82 Private Messages k1avg

I'm unlikely to make any of these dates, since my exams run through the 17th and I'll probably be flying out the next day. If it's the 4th or 11th, though, I can try and take the night off. No promises, though, so certainly don't plan around me.

--
Lawyer (of sorts) by day. Drinker of fine wines, homebrewer of fine beers, connoisseur of fine Scotches by night.
The current holdings.

cjsiege


quality posts: 14 Private Messages cjsiege

Updated first post. There isn't a consensus right now.

Do we forge ahead? Do we consider rolling to January?

bahwm


quality posts: 30 Private Messages bahwm

Y'all could come up to Buffalo over the MLK Weekend. Really cheap flights out of BWI on SW and the Buffalo airport is about 15 minutes or so from our house.

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

wkdpanda


quality posts: 11 Private Messages wkdpanda
bahwm wrote:Y'all could come up to Buffalo over the MLK Weekend. Really cheap flights out of BWI on SW and the Buffalo airport is about 15 minutes or so from our house.



You know, I have family in the Rochester area. This is getting tempting to come up and visit, and swing by the Buffalo tasting at the same time.

----------------
Andy the Wicked Panda

wkdpanda


quality posts: 11 Private Messages wkdpanda

So far, my Dec weekends are all free. Unless something comes up of course. RL does interfere with drinking, from time to time.

----------------
Andy the Wicked Panda

InShadows


quality posts: 1 Private Messages InShadows
cjsiege wrote:Updated first post. There isn't a consensus right now.

Do we forge ahead? Do we consider rolling to January?



there never will be a consensus with all of us. just forge ahead either the 11th or 18th.

CT
“Every time you think something or someone is stupid, it just means there is another thing in this world you don’t understand.” - In memory of Robert, 1975-2009
If you make a man a fire, he'll be warm for a night. If you set him on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Past NoVA Gatherings

bahwm


quality posts: 30 Private Messages bahwm
wkdpanda wrote:You know, I have family in the Rochester area. This is getting tempting to come up and visit, and swing by the Buffalo tasting at the same time.


OK, let's try this again--for some reason, my post from two hours ago has gone missing! That would be great if you would be able to join us! It would be great to see you again! Go over to the Buffalo threat and post there. I'll add you as a maybe.

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

k1avg


quality posts: 82 Private Messages k1avg
InShadows wrote:there never will be a consensus with all of us. just forge ahead either the 11th or 18th.

I'm not flying out until the 19th, so the 18th is a guaranteed in for me.

--
Lawyer (of sorts) by day. Drinker of fine wines, homebrewer of fine beers, connoisseur of fine Scotches by night.
The current holdings.

cjsiege


quality posts: 14 Private Messages cjsiege
InShadows wrote:there never will be a consensus with all of us. just forge ahead either the 11th or 18th.



Any volunteers for hosting?

jwhite6114


quality posts: 119 Private Messages jwhite6114

I'm a MAYBE for 12/18, but cannot do any of the other dates.

CT | | | | | |

cjsiege


quality posts: 14 Private Messages cjsiege

Shall we call this as 12/18? Potentially with InShadows as host? Unless someone closer in is willing.

aranderson


quality posts: 1 Private Messages aranderson

I can pick up people at the Franconia/Springfield Metro and take them to IS's place if anyone needs a ride or doesn't want to drive.

CT

ddeuddeg


quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
cjsiege wrote:Shall we call this as 12/18? Potentially with InShadows as host? Unless someone closer in is willing.

I know it's off topic, but are you doing that Messiah gig again?

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne


Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

k1avg


quality posts: 82 Private Messages k1avg
aranderson wrote:I can pick up people at the Franconia/Springfield Metro and take them to IS's place if anyone needs a ride or doesn't want to drive.

Ooh, me, me, me!

--
Lawyer (of sorts) by day. Drinker of fine wines, homebrewer of fine beers, connoisseur of fine Scotches by night.
The current holdings.

cjsiege


quality posts: 14 Private Messages cjsiege
ddeuddeg wrote:I know it's off topic, but are you doing that Messiah gig again?


E-mail for you!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Opening post has been updated to reflect Dec 18th and InShadows as host. Time to start talking about themes!

wkdpanda


quality posts: 11 Private Messages wkdpanda

Put me down as attending. Unless something crazy happens, I'm there.

----------------
Andy the Wicked Panda

cjsiege


quality posts: 14 Private Messages cjsiege

*bump*

k1avg


quality posts: 82 Private Messages k1avg
cjsiege wrote:Opening post has been updated to reflect Dec 18th and InShadows as host. Time to start talking about themes!

Well, since our dear InShadows is hosting, and we're all aware of his oenophilic propensities, what about "Winter Whites"? (Or, for the particularly cheesy among us, "White Christmas".) Maybe it's a bit too narrow, but it can encompass the sparklers we all love, as well as white dessert wines and Madeira. Heck, even sake or cognac would work. We're flexible.

--
Lawyer (of sorts) by day. Drinker of fine wines, homebrewer of fine beers, connoisseur of fine Scotches by night.
The current holdings.

dcwineguy


quality posts: 0 Private Messages dcwineguy

hola all... how do i join this NoVA/DC group??

Thx!

T

k1avg


quality posts: 82 Private Messages k1avg
dcwineguy wrote:hola all... how do i join this NoVA/DC group??

Thx!

T

You just did. Welcome aboard!

--
Lawyer (of sorts) by day. Drinker of fine wines, homebrewer of fine beers, connoisseur of fine Scotches by night.
The current holdings.

synchrodan


quality posts: 7 Private Messages synchrodan

You can throw a firm "maybe" up for MRS. Synchrodan and me. It's holiday party season, and a few are still tbd.

cjsiege


quality posts: 14 Private Messages cjsiege

Updates posted above. Congrats to Synchrodan & Synchroamy! Wish I could be at this one!

And don't forget to check out the thread for NoVA/DC #22: Black Tie. Yes, we are already planning it!

hershelk


quality posts: 6 Private Messages hershelk
synchrodan wrote:You can throw a firm "maybe" up for MRS. Synchrodan and me. It's holiday party season, and a few are still tbd.



I am also a firm Maybe and may not know for certain till just before.

CT

bunnymasseuse


quality posts: 2 Private Messages bunnymasseuse

Coming in from the vast cold that is my lapse of appearance on here I will not be able to make this (my informal local Xmas will occur that day prior to my leaving for a Kansas Christmas with other family)... but I am marking down #22 as we speak to plan time aside.

121 Woots and counting

cjsiege


quality posts: 14 Private Messages cjsiege
bunnymasseuse wrote:Coming in from the vast cold that is my lapse of appearance on here I will not be able to make this (my informal local Xmas will occur that day prior to my leaving for a Kansas Christmas with other family)... but I am marking down #22 as we speak to plan time aside.


Woo hoo! I'm thrilled to see your screen name again! I'll pencil you in for #22.

bunnymasseuse


quality posts: 2 Private Messages bunnymasseuse
cjsiege wrote:Woo hoo! I'm thrilled to see your screen name again! I'll pencil you in for #22.



Yep, glad to be back from the land of the living working dead!

121 Woots and counting

chemvictim


quality posts: 3 Private Messages chemvictim

The Mr. and I would love to meet some NoVA wooters! Can we come? Pleeeezzz? What should we bring? :D

cjsiege


quality posts: 14 Private Messages cjsiege
chemvictim wrote:The Mr. and I would love to meet some NoVA wooters! Can we come? Pleeeezzz? What should we bring? :D


Of course! You are welcome to come! This one will be down in the Woodbridge area. InShadows will send out a PM a day or so ahead of time with address.

Bring a bottle of wine and a munchie to go with it. And your own glasses - especially if you are persnickety about your glasses.