darlenee1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages darlenee1

SO, I spoke with the owner, and he's down with us hosting a tasting there. Obviously, we'd have to pay for the food. But there is no corkage. I think this is an awesome idea, so who is in?
What: Wine tasting
When: 11/6 3:30
Where: Miya's
Attending:
Darlene something sparkling Mumm Sparkling Pinot Noir
Darlene's hubby
dsapp 05 Sevenhill Cellars Riesling
dsapp's better half
mother
polarbear22 2004 Paradise Ridge Sparkling Shiraz
pb's lovely wife
See page three for possible menu
And woot sent a ton of Sake to us.
Maybe
Koa1138
justinrsanderson
justin's lovely lady

Ran out of room for the wines, and can't think of a good quote for now

justinrsanderson

quality posts: 1 Private Messages justinrsanderson
darlenee1 wrote:SO, I spoke with the owner, and he's down with us hosting a tasting there. Obviously, we'd have to pay for the food. But there is no corkage. I think this is an otterific idea, so who is in?
When: TBD
Attending:
Darlene
Darlene's hubby

I'd love to make it out there for this, just need some guidance as to when. November 6th doesn't work for us, and neither does Thanksgiving week. Best sushi rolls I've had, very creative.

"If it smells done, it's done. If it smells burnt, it's burnt. If it don't smell, it ain't done yet."

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus

May I suggest sparkling wine and Champagne as a specific theme? Sushi + bubbles = WIN!

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
kylemittskus wrote:May I suggest sparkling wine and Champagne as a specific theme? Sushi + bubbles = WIN!

And here I was thinking a nice Turley PS would be the perfect pairing.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

justinrsanderson

HitAnyKey42 wrote:And here I was thinking a nice Turley PS would be the perfect pairing.

I brought a nice 2003 Joseph Swan Zin there, and it worked with some of the stuff really nicely (in my opinion). Bun's sushi is far from traditional, and not limited to any set of ingredients. Watch out for the HongKee punch!

"If it smells done, it's done. If it smells burnt, it's burnt. If it don't smell, it ain't done yet."

darlenee1

justinrsanderson wrote:I brought a nice 2003 Joseph Swan Zin there, and it worked with some of the stuff really nicely (in my opinion). Bun's sushi is far from traditional, and not limited to any set of ingredients. Watch out for the HongKee punch!

Hongkee punch=Win. Anything works with Bun's food. Sparklers are great for some, but I have brought Zin with me in the past. Now, if only some locals would start commenting so we can pick a date! Most Saturdays work for me, after 4:00.

darlenee1

justinrsanderson wrote:I'd love to make it out there for this, just need some guidance as to when. November 6th doesn't work for us, and neither does Thanksgiving week. Best sushi rolls I've had, very creative.

Justin, it would be great to see you and Katie again! Throw out some dates that are good for you.

bahwm

quality posts: 29 Private Messages bahwm

Sounds good, but all of October and most of November is already booked for us.

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

darlenee1

This is turning into the Connecticut Wine Tasting, Buffalo edition

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
darlenee1 wrote:SO, I spoke with the owner, and he's down with us hosting a tasting there. Obviously, we'd have to pay for the food. But there is no corkage. I think this is an otterific idea, so who is in?
When: TBD
Attending:
Darlene
Darlene's hubby

My wife and I are in, assuming no conflicts. Those three bottles of marinade are at risk of becoming two. Must get them out of the house.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

darlenee1

polarbear22 wrote:My wife and I are in, assuming no conflicts. Those three bottles of marinade are at risk of becoming two. Must get them out of the house.

It's okay if you guys use one
Okay, dates that work for me are:10/23, 11/6, 11/20. I'm amenable to other dates, not Thanksgiving weekend.

polarbear22

darlenee1 wrote:It's okay if you guys use one

Thanks, but we won't. Just wanted you to know that they are still safe.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
My Cellar

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
polarbear22 wrote:Thanks, but we won't. Just wanted you to know that they are still safe.

I thought you were handing those off a couple of weeks ago.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

polarbear22

ddeuddeg wrote:I thought you were handing those off a couple of weeks ago.

That fell through. They are still sitting in our kitchen, so I don't forget them. But they look tempting.

My Cellar

mother

quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother
darlenee1 wrote:It's okay if you guys use one
Okay, dates that work for me are:10/23, 11/6, 11/20. I'm amenable to other dates, not Thanksgiving weekend.

I'd say 11/6 of those choices. I'm not available on 10/23...

dsapp

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dsapp
mother wrote:I'd say 11/6 of those choices. I'm not available on 10/23...

I believe 11/6 looks good for us too.

Kao1138

quality posts: 30 Private Messages Kao1138

I might be able to make it at 11/6 but I'd have to check in to that if that's definitely the date you're going for.

darlenee1

Okay, 11/6 it is. I'm emailing Bun to ask him what time would be best for us to come.

bahwm

darlenee1 wrote:Okay, 11/6 it is. I'm emailing Bun to ask him what time would be best for us to come.

Fine. But just don't go stealing Justin from Buffalo for this one!

We have so few available weekends these days! I do believe that the 6th of Nov. is going to have to be the Buffalo tasting date. And besides, our tasting was on the calendar before your post.

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

justinrsanderson

Same day as the Buffalo tasting! You locals should do the first one, and let's try again in December/January for #2? I'll be able to make that one, I think.

madpoet

quality posts: 4 Private Messages madpoet

Sadly... I hate sushi ;) I guess I'll catch the next one. Some day I'll make it to one of these.

darlenee1

madpoet wrote:Sadly... I hate sushi ;) I guess I'll catch the next one. Some day I'll make it to one of these.

I know of at least two sushi haters (including my husband) who adore Miya's. It is not your traditional sushi at all. You might want to give it a try, the place is becoming a little bit famous.

darlenee1

justinrsanderson wrote:Same day as the Buffalo tasting! You locals should do the first one, and let's try again in December/January for #2? I'll be able to make that one, I think.

Justin, we'll go for sushi even if it's just you and me (and our S.O.s)

darlenee1

The threads are being obnoxious right now, so I'm bumping this. Paging mother and polarbear for input.

mother

darlenee1 wrote:The threads are being obnoxious right now, so I'm bumping this. Paging mother and polarbear for input.

On?

HitAnyKey42

justinrsanderson wrote:Same day as the Buffalo tasting! You locals should do the first one, and let's try again in December/January for #2? I'll be able to make that one, I think.

FYI, this isn't the "first one". The first CT tasting was on June 21, 2008. Then there was #2 on 10/25/08 (can't find the thread for that one). I was at #3 on 4/4/09. It appears ya'll counted the first Clambake as #4, and then you had #5 on 2/27/10.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

bahwm

HitAnyKey42 wrote:FYI, this isn't the "first one". The first CT tasting was on June 21, 2008. Then there was #2 on 10/25/08 (can't find the thread for that one). I was at #3 on 4/4/09. It appears ya'll counted the first Clambake as #4, and then you had #5 on 2/27/10.

HAK, they're talking about this being the first one (as in first tasting) at Miya's.

HitAnyKey42

bahwm wrote:HAK, they're talking about this being the first one (as in first tasting) at Miya's.

I know. I was just being silly. Hence the tongue smilie.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

bahwm

HitAnyKey42 wrote:I know. I was just being silly. Hence the tongue smilie.

ooops, missed it!

darlenee1

mother wrote:On?

Are you coming? Does the date work?

mother

darlenee1 wrote:Are you coming? Does the date work?

Indeed I plan on attending!

darlenee1

mother wrote:Indeed I plan on attending!

Ok, I'm a dope. You replied saying that date was good for you. It has been a very stressful semester for me thus far, I'm not as able to be on top of things as I usually am.

polarbear22

Count my wife and I in. I had to talk with her to make sure.

My Cellar

HitAnyKey42

What would be the times for this (estimated start & finish)?

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

darlenee1

HitAnyKey42 wrote:What would be the times for this (estimated start & finish)?

I'm not sure, waiting to hear back from the owner. I would prefer a six/sevenish start time, but it may be better for him to have us earlier. Does anyone have a preference?

mother

darlenee1 wrote:I'm not sure, waiting to hear back from the owner. I would prefer a six/sevenish start time, but it may be better for him to have us earlier. Does anyone have a preference?

10pm heheh- but I'll suffer if I have to

darlenee1

mother wrote:10pm heheh- but I'll suffer if I have to

There's a fifteen dollar platter that is ten rolls, like the late night special, only 2/3 as much food for the price. I also am trying to see if we can work out some sort of prix fixe menu with him. If that's the case, what do people want to spend?

mother

darlenee1 wrote:There's a fifteen dollar platter that is ten rolls, like the late night special, only 2/3 as much food for the price. I also am trying to see if we can work out some sort of prix fixe menu with him. If that's the case, what do people want to spend?

Whats the restaurant week deal?

polarbear22

darlenee1 wrote:There's a fifteen dollar platter that is ten rolls, like the late night special, only 2/3 as much food for the price. I also am trying to see if we can work out some sort of prix fixe menu with him. If that's the case, what do people want to spend?

Not going to weigh in on this. I figure whatever you can work out, we will be really pleased at how cheap it is.

On another note, anyone else have Cabernet with sushi? Had a great Cab with sushi one time.

My Cellar

cjsiege

quality posts: 13 Private Messages cjsiege
polarbear22 wrote:
On another note, anyone else have Cabernet with sushi? Had a great Cab with sushi one time.

What flavor? Salmon? Oooh - or maybe rainbow roll? Mmmmmmmm