TYPE:
1.8kg Plastic Barrel without Pits,
1.8kg Plastic Barrel with Pits

Olivey website

In for one. Love olives!

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

greenmonkey125

quality posts: 10 Private Messages greenmonkey125

has anyone ever tried these? This sounds great... but 4lbs of olives is a big commitment...

k1avg

quality posts: 82 Private Messages k1avg
First sucker: k1avg
Speed to first woot: 0m 20.420s
Last wooter to woot: k1avg

Yeah, buddy. I eat olives like it's my job.

--
Lawyer (of sorts) by day. Drinker of fine wines, homebrewer of fine beers, connoisseur of fine Scotches by night.
The current holdings.

pblgov

quality posts: 15 Private Messages pblgov

i'm assuming this isn't kosher

k1avg

greenmonkey125 wrote:has anyone ever tried these? This sounds great... but 4lbs of olives is a big commitment...

No, but I've seen plastic jars of olives exactly like these (i.e., same shape and color, though I don't know from memory if they're the same importer and all that) in the Greek deli I frequent at least once a week, and they're legit Greek. The owner's name is Kostas, for goodness sake.

--
Lawyer (of sorts) by day. Drinker of fine wines, homebrewer of fine beers, connoisseur of fine Scotches by night.
The current holdings.

greenmonkey125

Along with my commitment issues, (and kind of in the same vein) does anybody know how long these would last if/after being opened? And should they be stored in the refrigerator? My guesses would be... quite a while, and yes. But I'd like to know if anyone's an... expert?

eastercat

quality posts: 4 Private Messages eastercat

Does anyone know if there's a quality difference between pitted and non? For example, is the non pitted less processed?

if u cn rd ths u cn gt a gd jb, bt if u rt lk ths u r a mrn.

k1avg

greenmonkey125 wrote:Along with my commitment issues, (and kind of in the same vein) does anybody know how long these would last if opened? And should they be stored in the refrigerator? My guesses would be... quite a while, and yes. But I'd like to know if anyone's an... expert?

Well, I'm no...expert, but yes, they'll need to be refrigerated after opening, and should last for a while. I had a jar of kalamata olives last well over eight months hidden in the back of my fridge in one of my college apartments. They'd gotten a little acidic by then, to be sure, but they were still, as it were, good eats.

--
The current holdings.

Anorion

quality posts: 36 Private Messages Anorion

Gluten free?

Certified Linux Chemist Guy.
If I hated Apple products any more than I do, I'd be on lists.

k1avg

eastercat wrote:Does anyone know if there's a quality difference between pitted and non? For example, is the non pitted less processed?

Well, by definition, yes.

--
The current holdings.

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58

Current numbers (updated each minute)
First sucker: k1avg
Speed to first woot: 0m 20.420s
Last wooter to woot: tytiger58

Oh yea on these like sugar on a cupcake! I love me some Greek olives.

Cheers!

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

k1avg

CaptainWes wrote:Can we just get finefoods.woot.com rolling already and leave this site for the alcoholics?
Are these olives extra-virgin?

"Extra virgin," "virgin," and other such designations only refer to olive oil and depend on the process used to press the oil. There are not, to my knowledge, any such quality designations for whole olives.

--
The current holdings.

k1avg

Anorion wrote:Gluten free?

Dude, they're olives.

--
The current holdings.

speedogirl2

quality posts: 28 Private Messages speedogirl2
eastercat wrote:Does anyone know if there's a quality difference between pitted and non? For example, is the non pitted less processed?

Don't know if this helps, but someone at an italian market once used this analogy: pitted olives are like eating canned peaches and unpitted olives are like eating fresh peaches.

greenmonkey125

The pitting process (as I'm aware) is pretty simple and minimally invasive... well... as non-invasive as poking a pit out can be (I believe it's a mechanized process with a 'plus shaped' rod that goes in one side and pushes the pit out the other side). They're not chemically altered or anything for the pitting process. I just prefer the texture of olives that have stayed with the pit, but that's just my opinion.

k1avg

speedogirl2 wrote:Don't know if this helps, but someone at an italian market once explained to me that pitted olives are like eating canned peaches and unpitted olives are like eating fresh peaches.

Sounds like they were trying to sell you some unpitted olives.

--
The current holdings.

worldofjohnboy

quality posts: 77 Private Messages worldofjohnboy

Considering my wife and I don't care for olives, today's WW is "the pits" for us!

"Every man dies... not every man truly lives." -William Wallace (from the movie Braveheart)

eastercat

I love olives. These'll be excellent on the nights when I have dolmas, hummus and pita. In for one.

speedogirl2

quality posts: 28 Private Messages speedogirl2

The photo of the product shows the unpitted olives as 2kg weight, and pitted as 1.8kg of weight, but the woot description states 1.8kg for either unpitted or pitted. Either the description is incorrect, or the photos are incorrect.

EDIT: Woot fixed the description. Yay they actually listen.

By the way 2 kg equals 4.4 lbs of olives.

greenmonkey125

k1avg wrote:Dude, they're olives.

Translation: as olives are... olives, and not a wheat/rye/barley product, it's kind of impossible for there to be gluten.

eastercat

k1avg wrote:Well, by definition, yes.

Sorry, I meant processed in the sense that they lose their flavor. I normally buy my olives in small quantities and don't have them as often as I'd like.
However, it looks like speedogirl2 and greenmonkey125 answered my question.

Thanks for humoring this very tired wooter.

NightGhost

quality posts: 1905 Private Messages NightGhost

Here's some Olive Recipes.

and more from Explore Crete.

greenmonkey125

oh and by the way, they have a website manifoods.gr if anybody is interested. And it's available in English (or Greek)!

k1avg

eastercat wrote:Sorry, I meant processed in the sense that they lose their flavor. I normally buy my olives in small quantities and don't have them as often as I'd like.
However, it looks like speedogirl2 might've answered my question.

Thanks for humoring this very tired wooter.

Well, I suppose they don't lose flavor so much as they do "structure," making it easier for the olives at the bottom of the jar to get a little crushed and mushy. And you do sort of lose the experience of having to carefully gnaw at the olive and spit the pit out.

But then, pitted olives are so much easier to just grab a handful of and stuff in your face.

It all depends what you're looking for, but no, you won't see a discernible difference in flavor (or shouldn't, at least). And now that you're in for this, I doubt you'll want for olives for quite some time.

--
The current holdings.

k1avg

greenmonkey125 wrote:Translation: as olives are... olives, and not a wheat/rye/barley product, it's kind of impossible for there to be gluten.

Aye, it's not olive loaf, after all.

--
The current holdings.

41susan14

quality posts: 7 Private Messages 41susan14
NightGhost wrote:Here's some Olive Recipes.

and more from Explore Crete.

Oh for heavens sake. Olive Recipes:

Unpitted olives: Eat Olive. Spit out pit. Repeat.

Pitted olives: Impale an olive on each of your fingers and thumbs. Eat olives off. Repeat.

Why adulterate yummy olives with other stuff?

k1avg

41susan14 wrote:Pitted olives: Impale an olive on each of your fingers and thumbs. Eat olives off. Repeat.

Why adulterate yummy olives with other stuff?

I will happily donate my undeserved quality posts to 41susan14 for this pearl of wisdom.

--
The current holdings.

bitman

quality posts: 14 Private Messages bitman
k1avg wrote:Yeah, buddy. I eat olives like it's my job.

Slowly and while watching the clock?

mdnorman

quality posts: 50 Private Messages mdnorman

I can't believe I'm tempted. This is nuts.

hijakk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hijakk

Peppers? As in bell peppers?
Damnit, these sounded so good otherwise
I wish I didn't find peppers so horrible.

Company asset #423423 was lost while fighting the forces of evil.

zerac

quality posts: 2 Private Messages zerac

Not to insult you woot, but somebody missed the boat with the cheese in your picture. That cheese should have been Feta without a doubt. Oh well, I guess I'm not insulted by the cheddar.

k1avg

mdnorman wrote:I can't believe I'm tempted. This is nuts.

No, dude. Olives.

--
The current holdings.

hjdttt

quality posts: 3 Private Messages hjdttt

Anybody have the dimensions of the barrel? I want to make sure this will fit in my fridge. And if I get a second, will it keep in a pantry for a while if I do not open? Yes, seriously. We like olives THAT much in our family.

vladistov

quality posts: 51 Private Messages vladistov
greenmonkey125 wrote:Along with my commitment issues, (and kind of in the same vein) does anybody know how long these would last if/after being opened? And should they be stored in the refrigerator? My guesses would be... quite a while, and yes. But I'd like to know if anyone's an... expert?

I suppose this isn't the answer you are looking for, but I can assure you that the olives shall be long gone before they go bad. They're covered in brine, which means the microorganisms aren't going to have much a chance. If you use clean utensils to draw them out, your olives shall still be good this time next year. I've cured my own olives and found open jars hidden in the back of the fridge several months later that were just fine.

Eleni927

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Eleni927
k1avg wrote:Well, I suppose they don't lose flavor so much as they do "structure," making it easier for the olives at the bottom of the jar to get a little crushed and mushy. And you do sort of lose the experience of having to carefully gnaw at the olive and spit the pit out.

But then, pitted olives are so much easier to just grab a handful of and stuff in your face.

It all depends what you're looking for, but no, you won't see a discernible difference in flavor (or shouldn't, at least). And now that you're in for this, I doubt you'll want for olives for quite some time.

the thing no one's really mentioned and my main reason for going with non-pitted is that the pitted olives, to me anyways, have too much of the brine taste when you eat them. the hole where the pit was gets filled in after all, and though convenient it's too much for me.

kogaku

quality posts: 27 Private Messages kogaku
k1avg wrote:No, but I've seen plastic jars of olives exactly like these (i.e., same shape and color, though I don't know from memory if they're the same importer and all that) in the Greek deli I frequent at least once a week, and they're legit Greek. The owner's name is Kostas, for goodness sake.

Similar experience, have had two of these jars (one black, one green, both with-pits as I recall), I don't remember the brand(s) on the jars and doubt it matters (was about 15-20 yrs ago). In for one of these tonight (via alternate spousal account to make use of the $5 coupon), have been wanting to get another olive jug for quite some time, and this was the ideal opportunity.

FWIW, I think that with-pits taste better, and, black taste better than green. But, since my wife insists on pitted, I'll have to endure the no-pits. (And since they're assorted, I'll be able to enjoy the black ones to me 'arts content.)

PS:

Anyone else find themselves logged OFF of Woot, and having great difficulty getting logged back ON tonight?

mdnorman

quality posts: 50 Private Messages mdnorman

Any ideas regarding how the strainer thing works? From the "top" picture, it seems that the lid doesn't completely seal the jar.

aspen128

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aspen128

So the wine can only be shipped to the states listed, but what about the foods? Specifically, can this particular woot go overseas to a military apo?

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
aspen128 wrote:So the wine can only be shipped to the states listed, but what about the foods? Specifically, can this particular woot go overseas to a military apo?

Anywhere in the states. I seriously doubt they will The Strangers (2008)international.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen