cjsiege

quality posts: 13 Private Messages cjsiege

For NoVA/DC #19, we've decided to dig deep -- deep into the depths of our own cellars, that is! Buying a bottle for this one is strictly forbidden! You need to pony up something you already have.

Hey - you *know* you've got more in there than you can possibly consume, anyway!

Date: September 11, 2010
Time: 6pm
Host: hershelk
Theme: From the Depths of My Cellar...
Your wine should be something that is already in your cellar. Something you like, but haven't had for a while. Something you have been saving for "something special", but can't think of what. Something you just want to try out and are willing to share with friends.

UPDATED 9/10/10
Attending:
1. cjsiege (04 Madison Cellars Serendipity; snacky olive bar stuff)
2. nabrunk (Scott Harvey Rose)
3. InShadows (Chard-Oh-YEAH; Benessere Pinot Grigio; Late Harvest Esotericas; bacon explosion)
4. hershelk
5. aranderson (2003 Newport Vineyards Brut Cuvee)
6. k1avg (2003 Chateau Marjosse)
7. k1avg +1
8. Alaska1
9. akrenee
10. hershelk +1
11. hershelk +2
12. hershelk +3
13. hershelk +4
14. wkdpanda (94 Fieldstone CS; 95 Fieldstone CS)
15. tripgrad ( 2006 Wellington Grenache)
16. tripgrad +1 (Polenta with Spicy Pork Ragu)
17. syncrodan (Dalton Shiraz, 2006; yummy bread & cheese)
18. syncroamy (Opala Vinho Verde, 2009(?))
19. iByron (1998 Luis Pato Bairrada Vinha Pan, 1998 Domaine Piétri-Géraud Banyuls Cuvée Méditerranée)

Maybe:
* spdrcr05
* richardhod

Regrets:
* kkv123 (*sniff*)

kkv123

quality posts: 10 Private Messages kkv123

Oh, how I love this theme! There are so many things I keep for 'something special' but never get around to drinking.

I could do a vertical of Linden dessert wine. Or pop open that nice bottle of Hendry Zinfandel.

I could host, but we've got to get past September 1st. Until then, I'm intermittently out of town and buried at work.

hershelk

quality posts: 6 Private Messages hershelk

Now that the cellar is done, I am willing to host if I'm around. I am available August 28th as well as any weekend in September except Labor Day weekend.

I'm willing to take suggestions on what i should open. Just check my CT.

CT

k1avg

quality posts: 82 Private Messages k1avg

Ooh, this is going to be interesting, given that four months ago I possessed exactly one bottle of wine. I'll take suggestions out of my CT as well, though I don't really have any (in stock, anyway) that scream "special occasion" (save one, but it's saved for an occasion...erm...more special than this. ).

I'm also absolutely going to make this one. I have every weekend in September and late August currently free, and if we can lock down a date soon enough, will unequivocally plan around this.

--
Lawyer (of sorts) by day. Drinker of fine wines, homebrewer of fine beers, connoisseur of fine Scotches by night.
The current holdings.

InShadows

quality posts: 1 Private Messages InShadows

I have my bottle picked out for this already. If PetiteSirah were still down here, he would enjoy my selection - a Chard-Oh-YEAH!

I think I'm also slated to bring the Benessere Pinot Grigio and one of the Late Harvest Esotericas.

Now for this one will I be making the bacon explosion as well?

Calendar is free except for the weekend of August 21st and September 18th (Virginia Wine Festival weekend).

I think I'm going to Barrel Oak Winery this weekend if anyone is interested.

CT
“Every time you think something or someone is stupid, it just means there is another thing in this world you don’t understand.” - In memory of Robert, 1975-2009
If you make a man a fire, he'll be warm for a night. If you set him on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Past NoVA Gatherings

aranderson

quality posts: 1 Private Messages aranderson

I am free every weekend in September and the weekend of August 14th. I don't know why I decided to schedule all of my family visits in the same month. I may need to drink a lot in the month of September to make up for it. Most of my wine is from Woot so take a look at my CT (it will be updated this weekend) and let me know if there is anything in there you would like to try.

CT

aranderson

InShadows wrote:I have my bottle picked out for this already. If PetiteSirah were still down here, he would enjoy my selection - a Chard-Oh-YEAH!

I think I'm also slated to bring the Benessere Pinot Grigio and one of the Late Harvest Esotericas.

Now for this one will I be making the bacon explosion as well?

Calendar is free except for the weekend of August 21st and September 18th (Virginia Wine Festival weekend).

I think I'm going to Barrel Oak Winery this weekend if anyone is interested.

I am up for going to Barrel Oak this weekend. Just let me know when you are thinking.

CT

k1avg

aranderson wrote:I am up for going to Barrel Oak this weekend. Just let me know when you are thinking.

Me too, as long as we wouldn't be getting back too late. And I'll happily chip in gas money.

--
Lawyer (of sorts) by day. Drinker of fine wines, homebrewer of fine beers, connoisseur of fine Scotches by night.
The current holdings.

InShadows

k1avg wrote:Me too, as long as we wouldn't be getting back too late. And I'll happily chip in gas money.

The winery is open from 11am-9pm. I was just thinking about getting there around 5pm and stay until close. Not sure if that's too late or not.

CT
“Every time you think something or someone is stupid, it just means there is another thing in this world you don’t understand.” - In memory of Robert, 1975-2009
If you make a man a fire, he'll be warm for a night. If you set him on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Past NoVA Gatherings

aranderson

InShadows wrote:The winery is open from 11am-9pm. I was just thinking about getting there around 5pm and stay until close. Not sure if that's too late or not.

I am guessing Saturday?

CT

k1avg

InShadows wrote:The winery is open from 11am-9pm. I was just thinking about getting there around 5pm and stay until close. Not sure if that's too late or not.

Oh, yeah, that won't be a problem. The only time constraint I have is the puppy - since my lovely housemate is out of town, I can't leave him home alone for too long before having to break out the carpet cleaner. But if you're leaving in the late afternoon, that would be fine.

--
The current holdings.

kkv123

k1avg wrote:Oh, yeah, that won't be a problem. The only time constraint I have is the puppy - since my lovely housemate is out of town, I can't leave him home alone for too long before having to break out the carpet cleaner. But if you're leaving in the late afternoon, that would be fine.

Unlike many other wineries, Barrel Oak permits dogs.

kkv123

k1avg wrote:Oh, yeah, that won't be a problem. The only time constraint I have is the puppy - since my lovely housemate is out of town, I can't leave him home alone for too long before having to break out the carpet cleaner. But if you're leaving in the late afternoon, that would be fine.

Unlike many other wineries, Barrel Oak permits dogs.

InShadows

kkv123 wrote:Unlike many other wineries, Barrel Oak permits dogs.

and kids..

aranderson wrote:I am guessing Saturday?

yes Saturday. Figure that we could use some wine to cool us off from the 100 degree weather. Plus it's the last weekend for their white sangria.

It'll be bring your own food.

CT
Past NoVA Gatherings

k1avg

kkv123 wrote:Unlike many other wineries, Barrel Oak permits dogs.

Heh, my dog the wino would probably want to never leave. I think it'll probably be too hot to have him outdoors for that long, though (he's a furry little critter).

--
The current holdings.

hershelk

k1avg wrote:Heh, my dog the wino would probably want to never leave. I think it'll probably be too hot to have him outdoors for that long, though (he's a furry little critter).

There is a large inside tasting area where he can cool off in addition to the outside patios. Sounds like fun. I'd head out myself but I plan on dying from heat stroke running in the Crystal City Twilight 5K Saturday night.

CT

k1avg

hershelk wrote:There is a large inside tasting area where he can cool off in addition to the outside patios. Sounds like fun. I'd head out myself but I plan on dying from heat stroke running in the Crystal City Twilight 5K Saturday night.

Well, in that case I would love to bring him, but I think logistically it's still not going to happen, since I'm taking the Metro to meet InShadows, and he's a little big to fit in a reasonably-sized carrier (the puppy, not InShadows).

--
The current holdings.

Alaska1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Alaska1

Ohhh I can't wait! Sounds great. Ohh wait I think I was the one that suggested this theme. :-)
Now If I could just find a saddle I would be set.
;-) (inside joke) :P

Little Vineyards Sonoma Valley Trio, Chateau Souverain Zinfandel Single-Vineyard Sampler Trio,Armida Winery Poizin Trio,Chase Family,Pack Cellars - Two Pack, Wellington Zinfandel Vertical Four Pack, InZinarator 4 pack, Peter Wellington 2006 Victory Reserve - 2 Pack, Saxon Brown 2008 Sonoma Valley Zinfandel - 3 Pack, Woodenhead Vintners 2006 Martinelli Road Old Vine RRV Zinfandel - 2 Pack

aranderson

I will meet you guys there at 5.

CT

spdrcr05

quality posts: 30 Private Messages spdrcr05

I CAN'T do Labor Day Weekend... the rest I'll have to play by ear.

In periods of profound change, the most dangerous thing is to incrementalize yourself into the future -- Thomas Edision

nabrunk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nabrunk

I'm free after Labor Day - but not until then.

"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars." ~ Oscar Wilde

cjsiege

Shall we try for Sept 11?

Sept 4 is Labor Day. Sept 18 is the Virginia Wine festival. Sept 25 is when I'm not available, and I'd really like to make this one.

InShadows

cjsiege wrote:Shall we try for Sept 11?

Sept 4 is Labor Day. Sept 18 is the Virginia Wine festival. Sept 25 is when I'm not available, and I'd really like to make this one.

mark it

CT
Past NoVA Gatherings

aranderson

Works for me. And sicne I am not allowed to buy anything to bring to it, I will bring the 2003 Newport Vineyards Brut Cuvee or the 2008 Newport Vineyards Landot Noir. Unless there is something else on CT that everyone would prefer.

CT

k1avg

It's a plan.

I'll be bringing a 2003 Chateau Marjosse, an odd little $12 Bordeaux that I've had laying around for almost a year - since before I even got into wine (also from Schneider's, meaning it's probably crap), and another bottle of something - maybe one of the ones I was supposed to bring to #18, or something else. If anything jumps out at you on my CT, by all means ask.

--
The current holdings.

k1avg

Oh, and I'll have at least +1 unless otherwise noted.

For my second bottle, I'm debating bringing a 2004 Erasmo La Reserva de Caliboro, which is absolutely amazing stuff, but I may decide I love it too much to share.

--
The current holdings.

iByron

quality posts: 40 Private Messages iByron

Put me down as a "maybe."

I'll need to be down to see my folks by then anyway.

iByron

iByron's iCellar (I'm a reciprocal CT Cellar Buddy)

Your Private WIneaux

Alaska1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Alaska1

Im going to check to see if the 11th works. I hope it does. I'll let you guys know. If the 11th does not work My birthday is the 18th ;-)

Little Vineyards Sonoma Valley Trio, Chateau Souverain Zinfandel Single-Vineyard Sampler Trio,Armida Winery Poizin Trio,Chase Family,Pack Cellars - Two Pack, Wellington Zinfandel Vertical Four Pack, InZinarator 4 pack, Peter Wellington 2006 Victory Reserve - 2 Pack, Saxon Brown 2008 Sonoma Valley Zinfandel - 3 Pack, Woodenhead Vintners 2006 Martinelli Road Old Vine RRV Zinfandel - 2 Pack

hershelk

Sept. 11 works for me. I can even host if needed. I'm not really metro accessible, but am inside the beltway. Also, I have a lot of space.

CT

akrenee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages akrenee

Can I come too?

k1avg

akrenee wrote:Can I come too?

Of course!

--
The current holdings.

richardhod

quality posts: 261 Private Messages richardhod
hershelk wrote:Sept. 11 works for me. I can even host if needed. I'm not really metro accessible, but am inside the beltway. Also, I have a lot of space.

being Sept 11, I suspect fruit bombs may not be welcome

wkdpanda

quality posts: 10 Private Messages wkdpanda

Been a while since I was able to attend a group. I will have to check my calendar, and pencil it in. I am coming back from the beach on the morning of the 11th, so should be able to attend.

I am thinking, I might have '96 Cab Sauv that should be drunk soon.

-Andy

----------------
Andy the Wicked Panda

cjsiege

wkdpanda wrote:Been a while since I was able to attend a group. I will have to check my calendar, and pencil it in. I am coming back from the beach on the morning of the 11th, so should be able to attend.

I am thinking, I might have '96 Cab Sauv that should be drunk soon.

Good to see you back again! Let us know when you can switch pencil for pen!

Looks like I need to start expanding the top post.

cjsiege

hershelk -- what is your comfortable attendee cap? Just figured I'd check, since we are now tentatively over 10 (confirmed and maybes).

hershelk

cjsiege wrote:hershelk -- what is your comfortable attendee cap? Just figured I'd check, since we are now tentatively over 10 (confirmed and maybes).

Please. no more then 100. Whatever we think is an appropriate max. Space isn't as much of an issue as just when are too many people, too many for a tasting. I would guess somewhere around 20 - 25. I expect I will have a couple of additions as well.

CT

hershelk

I think I am going to be a +3, potentially more.

CT

nabrunk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nabrunk

OK, I've put this in the calendar, this sounds like a really fun one!

Unfortunately, I really don't have much in the way of a cellar, so this might be something unimpressive.

Actually, I have a pretty tasty Scott Harvey Rose that I set aside for sharing. Not really a "special" wine, but I liked it enough to want to share the bottle with others. So, put me down for that.

"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars." ~ Oscar Wilde

hershelk

nabrunk wrote:Actually, I have a pretty tasty Scott Harvey Rose that I set aside for sharing. Not really a "special" wine, but I liked it enough to want to share the bottle with others. So, put me down for that.

Sounds Special enough for me. Doesn't have to be expensive or exotic. Just something you like or have and want to try.

CT

wkdpanda

quality posts: 10 Private Messages wkdpanda

Change me from pencil to pen. Now, to just dig it out of the temp offsite storage...

-andy

----------------
Andy the Wicked Panda