1. Scott Harvey
2. borisgoodenough
3. wine diva
4. cheron98
5. cheron98 +1
6. shewhohasnoname
7. crabbyman22
8. crabbyman22 +1

borisgoodenough has been emailing with Scott Harvey; he's a judge again at the MI Wine Competition on 8/2, and is game for a (not too huge) get-together the following night (Tuesday 8/3) with Michigan Wooters at his place near Brighton, halfway between Lansing and the Detroit area. Very casual BBQ and wine bash. Maybe even some Zinfandel!

For those who wish to wander out that-a-way, we can carpool out if you so desire.

Who's in?

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
cheron98 wrote:DETAILS
DATE: August 3, 2010 - WEDNESDAY
TIME: TBD (evening)
THEME: Scott Harvey!
HOST: borisgoodenough (PM for directions) - Brighton area

ATTENDEES:
1. Scott Harvey
2. borisgoodenough
3. wine diva
4. cheron98

borisgoodenough has been emailing with Scott Harvey; he's a judge again at the MI Wine Competition on 8/2, and is game for a (not too huge) get-together the following night (Tuesday 8/3) with Michigan Wooters at his place near Brighton, halfway between Lansing and the Detroit area. Very casual BBQ and wine bash. Maybe even some Zinfandel!

For those who wish to wander out that-a-way, we can carpool out if you so desire.

Who's in?

Tempting, but bahwm will be at a conference for LOTE teachers, and I may be doing a 5 day August exam review class. Not my favorite summer activity, but bahwm's away, it's a 3 minute walk, and they throw gobs of money at me, so it's hard to resist if they offer it to me again.
Maybe next time.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
ddeuddeg wrote:Tempting, but bahwm will be at a conference for LOTE teachers, and I may be doing a 5 day August exam review class. Not my favorite summer activity, but bahwm's away, it's a 3 minute walk, and they throw gobs of money at me, so it's hard to resist if they offer it to me again.
Maybe next time.

Well, if they don't, come on out

crabbyman22

quality posts: 6 Private Messages crabbyman22

I'm in(+1),unless I have plans I don't know about.Missed Scott last year in Livonia(area) and Champagnes(in Warren) last year.

"Alcohol-the cause of,and solution to,all of life's problems"
Homer(Simpson)

ddeuddeg

cheron98 wrote:Well, if they don't, come on out

Sorry, won't make that trip alone, especially after driving from Central NY alone the day before, after being in Cali for more than a week, home for 2 days, then off to the Clambake, with a stop at Krugsters' place in the Catskills on the way back. Much as I'd love to see Scott (and you, of course), I can't quite afford to make this a continuous wine.woot summer.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

cheron98

ddeuddeg wrote:Sorry, won't make that trip alone, especially after driving from Central NY alone the day before, after being in Cali for more than a week, home for 2 days, then off to the Clambake, with a stop at Krugsters' place in the Catskills on the way back. Much as I'd love to see Scott (and you, of course), I can't quite afford to make this a continuous wine.woot summer.

They should ALL be continuous wine.woot summers

crabbyman - looking forward to seeing you again!

ddeuddeg

cheron98 wrote:They should ALL be continuous wine.woot summers

Indeed! Maybe I'll win $97M in the Powerball drawing tonight, and then they will be.

borisgoodenough

quality posts: 4 Private Messages borisgoodenough

Hi all,

Driving times: we're about 30 minutes from Livonia / Plymouth / Northville, 45 from Birmingham / Bloomfield Hills, 15 minutes north of Ann Arbor.

We'll set a starting time once I hear from Scott on his schedule for the day -- but basically anytime 6 or after should be fine.

Figure on a casual evening on the deck and the "wine room", weather permitting. We'll put some flesh on the grill; if everyone could bring a side dish or other munchie, that would be great.

Joel

borisgoodenough

WHICH OF SCOTT'S WINES DO YOU WANT TO TASTE?

Scott's confirmed -- we'll get started around 6:30 on 8/3. Directions to follow, or PM me.

Scott will be sending some of his wines on ahead for us to taste, and asked if there are things we'd particularly like to try. They're on his website, so if you have a favorite or something you've wanted to taste, throw it into the thread and we'll do a request list.

cheron98

borisgoodenough wrote:WHICH OF SCOTT'S WINES DO YOU WANT TO TASTE?

Scott's confirmed -- we'll get started around 6:30 on 8/3. Directions to follow, or PM me.

Scott will be sending some of his wines on ahead for us to taste, and asked if there are things we'd particularly like to try. They're on his website, so if you have a favorite or something you've wanted to taste, throw it into the thread and we'll do a request list.

I've been wanting to try the Angel Ice

ddeuddeg

cheron98 wrote:I've been wanting to try the Angel Ice

Now you tell me. I could have brought a bottle with wine in it, instead of just an empty bottle.

cheron98

bump!

cyborgdo11

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cyborgdo11

Zoomba and I are maybes. We will know closer to the event.

cheron98

cyborgdo11 wrote:Zoomba and I are maybes. We will know closer to the event.

Got ya listed. Updated header with attendees.

evanssm1

quality posts: 3 Private Messages evanssm1

We would love to come up and see Scott again and try some more of his amazing wine but we are getting married that Saturday, so I don't think we can swing another short vacation in the middle of the week. Have fun and tell Scott we said Hi.

(13) Woot Woots, (17) Shirt Woots, (10) Wine Woots, (2) Sellout Woot, (10) Kids Woot, (1) Deals Woot.
My Cellar
Ohio #2 Wine Tasting (Anyone In?)

cheron98

*bump*

borisgoodenough

Hi all,

Just heard from Scott; he's sending some of his wines today for us to taste next Tuesday.

Could use a few more people attending, if any of you would encourage other wooters.

Will be PM'ing everyone who's signed up with directions.

Joel

cheron98

Just poked at jrbw3 about this - he showed up the last time Scott came to town. So, hopefully he'll come too.

jrbw3

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jrbw3

Awfully tempting. Love Scott's stuff. Put me as a maybe and I will confirm or deny very soon.

Now too many to list, as I'm too lazy to figure out how to scroll it.
Suffice it to say, my retirement fund suffers, but I enjoy good juice.

jrbw3

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jrbw3

Schedule rearranging is not coming together. I wish I could make this one. Give my best to Scott and enjoy his wonderful wines. Hope the weather is good to you.

Now too many to list, as I'm too lazy to figure out how to scroll it.
Suffice it to say, my retirement fund suffers, but I enjoy good juice.

cheron98

Woo hoo, it's tomorrow!! Still trying to get in touch with Zoomba and cyborg to see if they're coming or not. Dunno why they're not responding.

Newlyweds. Sheesh.

borisgoodenough

More folks still welcome for tomorrow -- we'll also be joined by Lorenzo from Chateau Aeronautique, out in Jackson, who's bringing along a couple of his Rieslings.

cheron98

By the by, I don't know if I mentioned, but I plan to bring along some of the CyberPub Cellars wine. A bottle to share and a bottle for Scott, to try to sweet talk him into doing a chemical analysis on it so we can finally get some numbers on it

cheron98

What's this? A FedEx package? From woot?

oooooooh...

tiger7610

quality posts: 17 Private Messages tiger7610

At least you got a Fedex package, we never received ours for the clambake

cheron98

tiger7610 wrote:At least you got a Fedex package, we never received ours for the clambake

Aw sad. The PO on it says "Huntington Lab Rat", but that's not what's actually inside.

cheron98

WOW What an evening. Thank you to borisgoodenough for being good enough to host this one (Note to self: Next time there's a gathering at his place, park on the street, not down the driveway...)! And thank you to Scott Harvey and Lorenzo Lizarralde for sharing your creations with us! There was an amazing spread of both food and wines, and I'll see if I can remember them all...

Appetizers:
Bread and various fresh herbed oils
Parmesan Crisps (thanks to Woot!)
Amazing 12-year-aged cheddar (thanks to crabbyman22!) and lesser-aged but still-delicious cheddar
Jarlsberg & Brie
Grilled shrimp
Olive tapenade

Main Buffet Dinner:
Roast beast (perfectly seasoned and cooked)
Freshly picked Michigan Corn on the cob
Tomato and Herb tart
Mixed potato salad
Mixed greens salad

Artisan Salts (thanks Woot!) accompanied the meal for flavor accents. Holy yum.

Dessert:
Rain Republic Guatemalan Chocolate (thanks Woot!) and fresh mint leaves
Fresh fruit
Trifle
Chocolate Chip Cookies

Wine List:
From Chateau Aeronautique, courtesy of Lorenzo Lizarralde:
2008 Riesling
2009 Riesling
2008(?) Cabernet Sauvignon
Late Harvest Riesling

From Scott Harvey Wines, courtesy of Scott Harvey:
?? Jana Sparkling Rose
2007 Jana Michigan Riesling
2008 Jana Napa Valley Riesling
2007 Mountain Selection Zinfandel
2006 Old Vine Zinfandel
2007 Vineyard 1869 OV Zinfandel
2005 Jana Napa Valley Old Vine Zinfandel
2006 J&S Reserve Barbera
2006 J&S Reserve Syrah
2007 InZINerator
2007 One Last Kiss Red
2006 Angel Ice

With special appearances by:
2009 CyberPub Cellars Publend
1997 Ridge Late Harvest Zinfandel

crabbyman22

quality posts: 6 Private Messages crabbyman22

Wrote a rather long post about wine tasting last night-poof-it's gone.Not gonna do it again right now.

Had a great time.Thanks to everyone.

"Alcohol-the cause of,and solution to,all of life's problems"
Homer(Simpson)