synchrodan

quality posts: 7 Private Messages synchrodan

Details:

Date: May 1st
Time: 2:00pm
Theme: BBQ (Red) / Summer (White)
Host: nabrunk (Alexandria, VA - Metro Accessible!)

Attending: (For those who haven't confirmed, please do so!)

1. nabrunk
- White Knight Viognier
- Sangria
- Grilled Chicken/Veggie Burgers
- Potato/Pasta Salad
2. hershelk
- Conundrum (white blend)
- hummus and pita chips
3. InShadows?
4. synchrodan
- San Simeon Petite Sirah, 2005
- cornbread
5. synchrodan's fiance
- Royal Valley Chenin Blanc, 2009
- cookies
6. CJ
- Clif The Climber, 2007
7. CJ +1
- KR Esoterica LH Viognier
8. Tripgrad
- Pinot Noir
- 3 hard cheeses
9. Alaska1
- A red, a white (tbd)
- Steak
10. Alaska1 gf
11. aranderson
- Pietra Santa Merlot, 2005
- Chocolate Eclair

My Original E-mail:

I noticed that no one has created a thread for another NoVA/DC tasting. Since February's was so great, I am surprised! So I figured I'd step up to the plate and get one going.

Any thoughts on a date or location?

As for theme, I have an interesting suggestion -- what about blind tastings? I think that could be fun and different. I'd have something in mind like this:

- Four or so different white varietals to see how well we can differentiate.
- Region contests/predicting. This could be fun for comparing the same varietal from a few regions, esp. with Reds.
- Vintage comparisons of the same vineyard -- how well can you taste age?
- Figure Out the Blend: Someone buys a blend, everyone else tries to determine grapes and percentages
- Etc. -- I'm sure we could come up with other ideas as well.

I figure with 12-16 bottles we could easily structure a few different fun blind tasting rounds.

Thoughts from the group?

Alaska1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Alaska1

Im voting for April. If I can make it. ;p

Little Vineyards Sonoma Valley Trio, Chateau Souverain Zinfandel Single-Vineyard Sampler Trio,Armida Winery Poizin Trio,Chase Family,Pack Cellars - Two Pack, Wellington Zinfandel Vertical Four Pack, InZinarator 4 pack, Peter Wellington 2006 Victory Reserve - 2 Pack, Saxon Brown 2008 Sonoma Valley Zinfandel - 3 Pack, Woodenhead Vintners 2006 Martinelli Road Old Vine RRV Zinfandel - 2 Pack

cjsiege

quality posts: 14 Private Messages cjsiege

I'm in. I'm just lurking for right now. Crazy-busy at work.

Anyone willing to host? I'd do it - but I don't think you all want to drive all the way down here.

RaiderSPE

quality posts: 1 Private Messages RaiderSPE

Anyone here been to WWA's wine tastings at the Arlington Cinema & Draft house or taken one of their courses? Just curious as I was thinking of testing it out.

InShadows

quality posts: 1 Private Messages InShadows
RaiderSPE wrote:Anyone here been to WWA's wine tastings at the Arlington Cinema & Draft house or taken one of their courses? Just curious as I was thinking of testing it out.

Not yet, maybe after the semester is over with. There's also the wine tasting festivals all around NoVA that some of us attend and others still participate in with various wineries. Besides the Arlington Cinema & Draft House there are a few other places that have tastings or even pairings on a monthly basis. I believe Madigan's Waterfront in Occoquan does this but couldn't find anymore information on it and I think they changed their website around.

Okay I'll bite, what does the SPE stand for?

CT
“Every time you think something or someone is stupid, it just means there is another thing in this world you don’t understand.” - In memory of Robert, 1975-2009
If you make a man a fire, he'll be warm for a night. If you set him on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Past NoVA Gatherings

RaiderSPE

quality posts: 1 Private Messages RaiderSPE
InShadows wrote:

Okay I'll bite, what does the SPE stand for?

Just the Username I have been using since college 11 years ago. Raider = Fraternity Mascot - SPE = SigmaPhiEpsilon

nabrunk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nabrunk

We'm tentatively in, depending on the date we arrive at. Though, We'm assuming November, at this point.

edit - woot is doing odd things two the posts. Disregard anything that doesn't make sense.

"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars." ~ Oscar Wilde

CpprCr8

quality posts: 5 Private Messages CpprCr8

Should we shoot for May? What are the calendars looking like? We think We'm available all weekends.

EDIT: We always knew We were a princess. Now We've got the "royal We" to prove it!

cjsiege & CpprCr8: A girl & a car, living the w.w dream!

InShadows

CpprCr8 wrote:Should we shoot for May? What are the calendars looking like? I think I'm available all weekends.

EDIT: I always knew I were a princess. Now I've got the "royal I" to prove it!

I'm available:
April 10th
April 17th
May 1st
May 15th
July 3rd
July 17th

CT
“Every time you think something or someone is stupid, it just means there is another thing in this world you don’t understand.” - In memory of Robert, 1975-2009
If you make a man a fire, he'll be warm for a night. If you set him on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Past NoVA Gatherings

hershelk

quality posts: 6 Private Messages hershelk

I should have my new wine cellar done by June and able to host something then. However, I think we should try to do something before then. Anyone else able to host in April/May. With the weather turning warm, it might be time to do a patio/summer wine tasting so we know what to stock up on for the summer.

I'm available most of May except for the weekend of the 8th-9th. In April, I am only free on the 24th.

CT

nabrunk

I can host April 24. I live in Alexandria (metro accessible), and have a yard we can use, if people bring chairs, and the weather cooperates. There is also relatively good parking on the weekends.

I offered to host last year, and had to cancel at the last minute because of a family emergency. This will be my way of making it up

Because my home is fairly small and I like my neighbors, I may have to limit the number of attendees, depending on response.

"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars." ~ Oscar Wilde

kkv123

quality posts: 10 Private Messages kkv123
nabrunk wrote:I can host April 24. I live in Alexandria (metro accessible), and have a yard we can use, if people bring chairs, and the weather cooperates. There is also relatively good parking on the weekends.

May is better for me - I'm out of town on April 24th.

But if that is our chosen date, I'll try to pass along to another taster the items that I discovered at my house after the last tasting:

one iPhone charger (spdrcr)
one Vinturi (cjsiege), and
one wine glass (owner unknown).

The mystery pair of underwear has been claimed. :-)

nabrunk

I can be pretty flexible with dates - as long as they are 4/24 or after.

I can host in May, if that's better over-all, depending on the chosen date. I'm out of town Mother's day weekend and Memorial Day weekend (the precise dates escape me). Otherwise, with a little notice, I can probably swing it (there's the upside of having no life!).

cjsiege

Well - I think that May 1 sounds like a lovely date! And with the lovely nabrunk hosting!

Others chiming in???? Syncrodan & Syncroamy? Alaska1? SpdRcr? Haven't seen folks on the boards recently.

nabrunk

May 1 works for me! BYOM (bring your own maypole

Has a theme been settled on? If not, I think someone mentioned "spring and summer" wines - I like this idea!

hershelk

quality posts: 6 Private Messages hershelk

May 1 sounds good. I'm in. I have a couple possibles good for a spring/summer wine theme.

CT

CpprCr8

nabrunk wrote:May 1 works for me! BYOM (bring your own maypole

Has a theme been settled on? If not, I think someone mentioned "spring and summer" wines - I like this idea!

Syncrodan made a few proposals up at the top. During the last tasting, I had a wine-infused vision of a "V for Victory" tasting, where the varietal, vineyard, wine name, or AVA had to begin with V.

synchrodan

Okay just updated the start of the thread. It sounds like May 1st may be the winner. (works for me too, though Amy can't make it) But let's have some more input from others before we write this in stone.

I'm totally woot with nabrunk hosting. Thanks for offering! (And metro accessible is always a plus when consuming lots of delicious wine.)

As for theme, I mean, any of those listed are fine. Spring/Summer wine could be fun, though a bit broad (someone had better make some sangria if we choose this one!). I still think a blind tasting theme could be fun, but I'm open to whatever others like. As long as the wine is good, I don't particularly care about the theme.

If/When we decide for certain on May 1st, I'll start more closely updating the attendees list.

Anyone who hasn't given any input and cares to, please do so. Thanks everyone!

InShadows

May 1st is also the Kentucky Derby and Virginia Gold Cup. Kentucky wines or wines with horse themes?

CT
Past NoVA Gatherings

nabrunk

A few quick notes:

I have a multi-pet household. Those with allergies might want to sit this one out.

My house is .6 miles from Braddock Road metro and .7 miles from King Street Metro. It's an easy walk, and there is frequent bus service for those who have too much to carry. For drivers, the parking restrictions in the neighborhood do not apply on weekends.

As to theme: What about narrowing "spring/summer" down to BBQ theme? Has that been done before? Most people associate beer with BBQs, so it might be nice to try it with wine? And, as mentioned above, sangria would be required.

An import cabeat - while I have a BBQ in my yard I have never used it, nor ever tried to use one before (please don't mock me). So, I'm willing to do a test fire on it this weekend, but I can't guarantee that I will have ANY proficiency with it!

Alaska1

Soo May 1st is the date? Just want to make sure so I can TRY to finally make it to a tasting.

Little Vineyards Sonoma Valley Trio, Chateau Souverain Zinfandel Single-Vineyard Sampler Trio,Armida Winery Poizin Trio,Chase Family,Pack Cellars - Two Pack, Wellington Zinfandel Vertical Four Pack, InZinarator 4 pack, Peter Wellington 2006 Victory Reserve - 2 Pack, Saxon Brown 2008 Sonoma Valley Zinfandel - 3 Pack, Woodenhead Vintners 2006 Martinelli Road Old Vine RRV Zinfandel - 2 Pack

nabrunk

Alaska1 wrote:Soo May 1st is the date? Just want to make sure so I can TRY to finally make it to a tasting.

Yes - May 1 is the winner (if we do another date, I will not be able to host).

nabrunk

I also have a tentative +2 for May 1.

CpprCr8

I'm +1 for this shindig. Thank you, nabrunk, for hosting!

synchrodan

Updated the top. Looks like May 1st is finalized.

We need more input on theme. I'm fine with the BBQ idea. Is everyone else?

Also anyone who hasn't confirmed attendance, please do! Thanks everyone!

Alaska1

Still trying to get that date locked down. Will let you know ASAP.

iByron

quality posts: 40 Private Messages iByron

Please start early in the afternoon. If you do that, I can make it.

iByron

iByron's iCellar (I'm a reciprocal CT Cellar Buddy)

Your Private WIneaux

nabrunk

Early afternoon works for me.

One of my favorite passtimes is drinking wine in my yard on a spring afternoon.

I'll throw out a start time of 1:00 or 2:00, and see if that sticks.

Additional update - my BBQ-fu skills failed. I think the igniter on my gas grill is defunct. But, I have a charcoal grill that I can make available if someone has the skills to use it. Otherwise, I am planning to order BBQ chicken and potato salad for people to munch on. Additional food contributions will be welcome!

tripgrad

quality posts: 3 Private Messages tripgrad

I can attend on May 1, too.

R.I.P.
WINE.W00T NOV 4, 2012

synchrodan

nabrunk wrote:Early afternoon works for me.

One of my favorite passtimes is drinking wine in my yard on a spring afternoon.

I'll throw out a start time of 1:00 or 2:00, and see if that sticks.

Additional update - my BBQ-fu skills failed. I think the igniter on my gas grill is defunct. But, I have a charcoal grill that I can make available if someone has the skills to use it. Otherwise, I am planning to order BBQ chicken and potato salad for people to munch on. Additional food contributions will be welcome!

I'd sort of lean towards 2pm, as 1pm just seems early. But Byron -- can you do 2pm? If not, I'm fine with 1pm. Others?

spdrcr05

quality posts: 30 Private Messages spdrcr05

Alas... if the date stays May 1st I'm going to unable to attend. At this point I'm either going to the NASCAR race @ Richmond or taking a friend's daughter to her Softball tournament.

If the date changes, somebody let me know!

In periods of profound change, the most dangerous thing is to incrementalize yourself into the future -- Thomas Edision

nabrunk

spdrcr05 wrote:Alas... if the date stays May 1st I'm going to unable to attend.

I'm pretty sure we locked in 5/1. But, if people want to reopen the dates discussion, 5/15 and 5/22 are free on my calendar...but for my own sanity, I'd like to nail the date down soon (must budget time for housekeeping before people come over!!)

Alaska1

I'm Still trying to do the 1st. I hope to nail it down tomorrow! please please please!! I'm trying guys.

cjsiege

Alaska1 wrote:I'm Still trying to do the 1st. I hope to nail it down tomorrow! please please please!! I'm trying guys.

Fingers crossed for you! If it will help, I'll do a variation on the "snow day" thing that kids do -- pajamas on inside out and backwards.

bahwm

quality posts: 30 Private Messages bahwm
cjsiege wrote:Fingers crossed for you! If it will help, I'll do a variation on the "snow day" thing that kids do -- pajamas on inside out and backwards.

I heard a new one this year: put a teaspoon inside your pillowcase overnight.

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

Alaska1

GGGRREEEEAAATTTTTT NEWS!!!!
Got the 1st off! Will finally be able to attend!!
Thank you all for your...... what ever you did!
Also great is my girlfriend will be in town, so + 1. Ohh and im a chef so if you want to grill im your guy! Lets do this!!!
Chris

synchrodan

Alaska1 wrote:GGGRREEEEAAATTTTTT NEWS!!!!
Got the 1st off! Will finally be able to attend!!
Thank you all for your...... what ever you did!
Also great is my girlfriend will be in town, so + 1. Ohh and im a chef so if you want to grill im your guy! Lets do this!!!
Chris

That's great news! Updated the info post.

synchrodan

Okay. Here's the deal. May 1st is just 10 days from tomorrow, so I think we need to nail down the details. Here are those which still haven't been finalized. I'll list where I think consensus is leaning (or what I think makes sense):

Time: 2pm? (Does this work for you Byron?)
Theme: BBQ Wine (reds), Summer Wine (whites)

If no one objects by this Thursday night, then the above suggestions will be permanent.

Once the theme is decided we can begin figuring out who is bringing what wine. I intend to do my shopping this weekend, which is why I'd like to get the theme ironed out before then. If anyone has any suggestions that fit the theme above, feel free to post. I'm no expert on summer whites or BBQ reds.

Thanks everybody!!

Alaska1

I love "Summer reds"/ B.B.Q reds (ZINFANDEL!!!) And have a nice little stash if do say so my self. I am great with the 2pm start time. Im not sure what else. Let me know if you need anything else. Do I bring my own stemware? Not a problem if I need to. I am excited to meet all of you finally, after what..... 6 months of trying to get this to all fall into place. Can't wait!

Alaska1

synchrodan wrote:Details:

Date: May 1st
Time: TBD
Theme: TBD: BBQ (Summer) Wine, "V for Victory", Blind Tasting, Horse Theme (more input needed)
Host: nabrunk (Alexandria, VA - Metro Accessible!)

Attending: (will confirm these names in the weeks to come, others please post!)

1. nabrunk
2. nabrunk +1
3. nabrunk +2
4. CJ
5. hershelk
6. KKV?
7. InShadows?
8. synchrodan
9. CJ
10. CJ +1
11. Tripgrad
12. Alaska1
13. Alaska1 gf :-)
14. YOU!

My Original E-mail:

I noticed that no one has created a thread for another NoVA/DC tasting. Since February's was so great, I am surprised! So I figured I'd step up to the plate and get one going.

Any thoughts on a date or location?

As for theme, I have an interesting suggestion -- what about blind tastings? I think that could be fun and different. I'd have something in mind like this:

- Four or so different white varietals to see how well we can differentiate.
- Region contests/predicting. This could be fun for comparing the same varietal from a few regions, esp. with Reds.
- Vintage comparisons of the same vineyard -- how well can you taste age?
- Figure Out the Blend: Someone buys a blend, everyone else tries to determine grapes and percentages
- Etc. -- I'm sure we could come up with other ideas as well.

I figure with 12-16 bottles we could easily structure a few different fun blind tasting rounds.

Thoughts from the group?