saxwizerd45

quality posts: 9 Private Messages saxwizerd45

Is Mexican food impossible to pair with wine? I don't know. Never really tried before. I do intend to find out, though! I'll update this post as need be.

Información Esencial:

Saturday, March 13, 2010
7pm

La Ciudad
4515 North Sheridan Rd.
(between Sunnyside Ave & Windsor Ave)
Chicago, IL 60640
http://www.yelp.com/biz/la-ciudad-chicago
http://chicago.menupages.com/restaurants/la-ciudad/menu
New restaurant that seems to be building up steam in an area, well, not too widely considered to be a great restaurant area. A diamond in the rough?

Attendees:

saxwizerd45 +1
cheron98
tommythecat78 +1
crusaderRabbit
tauwillow +1

Maybe:

Regrets:

burrnini
Zorandra

It is well to remember that there are five reasons for drinking: the arrival of a friend; one's present or future thirst; the excellence of the wine; or any other reason.

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98

Yay Chicago! And just to let y'all know, I plan to leave here EARLY Friday morning, and will be spending the whole weekend out there. The plan currently is to hit some of the stuff I haven't been able to do courtesy of CityPass (anyone is welcome to join me!) with dinner maybe at Roy's on Friday night, then the official Mexican thing on Saturday, and I head home Sunday evening.

I am staying at Holiday Inn Mart Plaza. Definitely hitting Shedd's and the Field Museum and Adler Planetarium, likely all on Friday if I can manage to get out there early enough, else it'd be Field Museum & Adler on Friday, Shedd's and shopping on Saturday.

I'd like to go to the John Hancock Observatory one evening (maybe after dinner on Saturday with the group? It's open til 11).

Sunday will be the Museum of Science and Industry. Though I may skip it. Let me know if you'd like to join me for my outings

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

tommythecat78

quality posts: 18 Private Messages tommythecat78
cheron98 wrote:Yay Chicago! And just to let y'all know, I plan to leave here EARLY Friday morning, and will be spending the whole weekend out there. The plan currently is to hit some of the stuff I haven't been able to do courtesy of CityPass (anyone is welcome to join me!) with dinner maybe at Roy's on Friday night, then the official Mexican thing on Saturday, and I head home Sunday evening.

I am staying at Holiday Inn Mart Plaza. Definitely hitting Shedd's and the Field Museum and Adler Planetarium, likely all on Friday if I can manage to get out there early enough, else it'd be Field Museum & Adler on Friday, Shedd's and shopping on Saturday.

I'd like to go to the John Hancock Observatory one evening (maybe after dinner on Saturday with the group? It's open til 11).

Sunday will be the Museum of Science and Industry. Though I may skip it. Let me know if you'd like to join me for my outings

Add me +1 sax. I posted in the other thread cuz I didn't see this one right away.

Cheron, I will just have to play it by ear as far as the museums and stuff. More than likely will hit something though since I haven't been to anything in quite a while.

___________________________________________________________________________________________
My Cellar (has not been updated in forever)
Do the people want fire that can be applied nasally? -Golgafrinchan Marketing Consultant

saxwizerd45

tommy +1 added.

It is well to remember that there are five reasons for drinking: the arrival of a friend; one's present or future thirst; the excellence of the wine; or any other reason.

cheron98

tommythecat78 wrote:Add me +1 sax. I posted in the other thread cuz I didn't see this one right away.

Cheron, I will just have to play it by ear as far as the museums and stuff. More than likely will hit something though since I haven't been to anything in quite a while.

We'll keep in touch. I'll attempt to call you when I get in town to see if you're up for anything, but you might still be hiding in your coffin

zorandra

quality posts: 5 Private Messages zorandra

La Cuidad's Menu

Mixteco's Menu

Ugh. St. Patrick's Day weekend... how the hell did I miss that?? Now to figure out the logistics of this all.

I don't want the world, I just want your half. - TMBG, "Ana Ng"
CT (working on it)

saxwizerd45

We're not big on St. Patty's day... so hopefully our mexican places will be a respite from the St. Patty's day crazies!

cheron98

For those thinking about Roy's for Friday, they are currently running a prix fixe menu for $35 - http://www.roysrestaurant.com/cuisine/prix_fixe_menu.asp

saxwizerd45

So for those of us confirmed attending our (heretofore) little gathering on the 13th... do the moles (the complex sauces, not the burrowing animals) of Mixteco sound better or does the more varied fare of La Ciudad sound more appealing?

tommythecat78

saxwizerd45 wrote:So for those of us confirmed attending our (heretofore) little gathering on the 13th... do the moles (the complex sauces, not the burrowing animals) of Mixteco sound better or does the more varied fare of La Ciudad sound more appealing?

La Ciudad gets my vote.

___________________________________________________________________________________________
Do the people want fire that can be applied nasally? -Golgafrinchan Marketing Consultant

cheron98

saxwizerd45 wrote:So for those of us confirmed attending our (heretofore) little gathering on the 13th... do the moles (the complex sauces, not the burrowing animals) of Mixteco sound better or does the more varied fare of La Ciudad sound more appealing?

I'd say La Ciudad.

saxwizerd45

Been wanting to try La Ciudad, so LC it is.

Now, perhaps the bigger question... what to drink?

cheron98

saxwizerd45 wrote:Been wanting to try La Ciudad, so LC it is.

Now, perhaps the bigger question... what to drink?

...wine?

saxwizerd45

cheron98 wrote:...wine?

Yeah, yeah... I was thinking of bringing the Radog Pinot that was on w.w not too long ago. Either of y'all had it? Seems like PN would probably work well w/ mexican...

cheron98

saxwizerd45 wrote:Yeah, yeah... I was thinking of bringing the Radog Pinot that was on w.w not too long ago. Either of y'all had it? Seems like PN would probably work well w/ mexican...

So I've read. Rieslings are supposed to work well, too, as well as PG, and a shocking number of other varietals, including Cab and Barbera.

I'm not sure what I'm bringing for sure, but it'll either be something from Scott Harvey or something from Twisted Oak.

tommythecat78

saxwizerd45 wrote:Yeah, yeah... I was thinking of bringing the Radog Pinot that was on w.w not too long ago. Either of y'all had it? Seems like PN would probably work well w/ mexican...

The Radog is good. I had it with Indian and that was not a good pairing. Seemed to enhance the spice in the food overwhelmingly. On it's own it was excellent. I will be bringing an '07 Reif Estates Vidal from Niagara. I have a feeling that this wine will be awesome with spicy food.

saxwizerd45

Perhaps not the Radog then...

Cabernet? I've been itching to open one of my Wellingtons...

lauratchi

quality posts: 5 Private Messages lauratchi
tommythecat78 wrote:The Radog is good. I had it with Indian and that was not a good pairing. Seemed to enhance the spice in the food overwhelmingly. On it's own it was excellent. I will be bringing an '07 Reif Estates Vidal from Niagara. I have a feeling that this wine will be awesome with spicy food.

For Mexican that has mole or chipotle involved, you may want to plan for something red. A zin or maybe a malbec. I cheat and look for suggestions on restaurant menus, or see what places like Salpicon or Frontera grill recommend with their food.

Little Vineyards Trio began the slow start to the slippery slope. it was alllllllllll downhill from there!

joeliquor

quality posts: 0 Private Messages joeliquor

I live within walking distance of Mixteco and I'll disclaim that I've only given it one shot, but for all the "best thing since sliced bread" reviews on Yelp I felt that my mole was way more KC Masterpiece than complex.

saxwizerd45

joeliquor wrote:I live within walking distance of Mixteco and I'll disclaim that I've only given it one shot, but for all the "best thing since sliced bread" reviews on Yelp I felt that my mole was way more KC Masterpiece than complex.

Interesting... we were last there probably about a year ago and thought the moles were pretty good. *shrug*

saxwizerd45

lauratchi wrote:For Mexican that has mole or chipotle involved, you may want to plan for something red. A zin or maybe a malbec. I cheat and look for suggestions on restaurant menus, or see what places like Salpicon or Frontera grill recommend with their food.

Good idea. A lot of syrah and tempranillo w/ a few pinot noir recommendations on Rick Bayless' site... now I'm back to thinking Pinot.

lauratchi

saxwizerd45 wrote:Interesting... we were last there probably about a year ago and thought the moles were pretty good. *shrug*

Good moles abound at Sol de Mexico on Cicero just south of Belmont. Really good sauces an fresh homemade tortillas for sopping duties. Not a bargain basement place. But good value for the types of food. Offerings include rabbit, venison and duck along with the usual meats. A really good house made horchata that would be better still with a hit of rum.

Unfortunately not byob, but if you are into quality Mexican food in the city, you must try. The lady who makes the moles worked for Rick Bayless as his nanny. I'm thinking she taught him lots of stuff.

Little Vineyards Trio began the slow start to the slippery slope. it was alllllllllll downhill from there!

lauratchi

Oh.. and one more thing. Don't forget that next Saturday night is time change night.

cheron98

lauratchi wrote:Oh.. and one more thing. Don't forget that next Saturday night is time change night.

Yeah, gets lemon juice in the eye, but ah well

tommythecat78

cheron98 wrote:Yeah, gets lemon juice in the eye, but ah well

Love that new filter.

cheron98

SO... Friday? Roy's?

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
tommythecat78 wrote:Love that new filter.

Me too. And if you're wondering why they filter sucks, but not suck, our friend Cheron98 will tell you it's because the code monkeys can't do verb conjugations.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

cheron98

ddeuddeg wrote:Me too. And if you're wondering why they filter sucks, but not suck, our friend Cheron98 will tell you it's because the code monkeys can't do verb conjugations.

No, they can conjugate verbs, they just can't conjugate code

tauwillow

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tauwillow

Would it be too much trouble to put me +1 as a last minute maybe?

I wouldn't be able confirm until probably the night before or the morning of. (just because of the circumstances)

Let me know if thats workable or not.

saxwizerd45

Sure! Not a problem at all!

burrnini

quality posts: 10 Private Messages burrnini

no!!! yet another chicago meeting i can't make

why'd you guys have to schedule everything for march? it's the one month i'm stuck somewhat against my will in connecticut.

oh well...i guess i'll just have to plan something for april.

saxwizerd45

burrnini wrote:no!!! yet another chicago meeting i can't make

why'd you guys have to schedule everything for march? it's the one month i'm stuck somewhat against my will in connecticut.

oh well...i guess i'll just have to plan something for april.

In the old thread for the current gathering there was talk of another meet-up later this spring...

zorandra

quality posts: 5 Private Messages zorandra

Sorry I disappeared and did not reply with a status. Something has come up and and I will not be able to make it. Enjoy yourselves and have a great time.

I don't want the world, I just want your half. - TMBG, "Ana Ng"
CT (working on it)

cheron98

Well, I'm here and just spent the last few hours in shedd. The room is awesome and if they kick us out of la ciudad, we can go to my room for more wine ;) lots of space.

Pondering my next move. Field and adler tomorrow, so thinking I might go to hancock observatory for a bit and watch the sunset.

Since no one is available tonight I may just pass on roy's and head back to the hotel this evening and just chill.

Yay vaca!

tauwillow

My husband and I are still tentatively on for tomorrow. I'll be able to confirm in the morning or early afternoon once I get a sense of whether or not labor is on.

cheron98

Clouds have completely rolled in. Will have to do this again sometime when it's clear, just enjoying my free coffee then going back to the hotel.

saxwizerd45

tauwillow wrote:My husband and I are still tentatively on for tomorrow. I'll be able to confirm in the morning or early afternoon once I get a sense of whether or not labor is on.

Oh! We might have the first wine.woot gathering delivery! You have to come now. You'd make history!

saxwizerd45

cheron98 wrote:Clouds have completely rolled in. Will have to do this again sometime when it's clear, just enjoying my free coffee then going back to the hotel.

Yeah... welcome to Chicago in the spring. Weather can be rather changeable. Can't wait for tomorrow evening!

cheron98

My phone died right after that last post. Wasn't even sure it posted. So here I am in the middle of chicago with no google maps to tell me how to get back to the hotel, but sure in the knowledge that the hotel wasn't far enough away to pay the cab fare. So I stumbled and fumbled and eventually wound up back in my room. My feet hurt. I have thoroughly given up the ifea of going out for dinner, and don't even feel like wandering back to the lobby to eat down there.

Room service!

And it's the same menu and prices as the restaurant itself with a meager delivery fee. So I got a bottle of spumante to go with dinner which is a seafood pasta in white sauce followed by green tea gelato.

Yes, a bottle. I'm on vacation.

tauwillow

I did some reading on mexican wine pairing (since I'm a complete wine noob), and as a result, we're thinking about bringing the Zeppelin Vindication.

Feel free to veto that, and I'll go back to my cellar for a better choice.

(and there will be no birthing at the dinner table!)