WootBot


quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Red Zeppelin Winery - Three Pack

Speed to First Woot:
1h 7m 24.000s
First Sucker:
foolsday
Last Wooter to Woot:
ssufish
Last Purchase:
5 years ago
Order Pace (rank):
Bottom 13% of Wine Woots
Bottom 14% of all Woots
Woots Sold (rank):
Bottom 27% of Wine Woots
Bottom 31% of all Woots

Purchaser Experience

  • 5% first woot
  • 7% second woot
  • 16% < 10 woots
  • 26% < 25 woots
  • 47% ≥ 25 woots

Purchaser Seniority

  • 5% joined today
  • 2% one week old
  • 2% one month old
  • 23% one year old
  • 67% > one year old

Quantity Breakdown

  • 77% bought 1
  • 14% bought 2
  • 9% bought 3

Percentage of Sales Per Hour

7%
7%
0%
0%
5%
7%
2%
12%
7%
14%
21%
5%
5%
2%
0%
2%
2%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
2%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Percentage of Sales Per Day

23%
7%
70%
0%
0%
0%
0%
Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting





Quality Posts



Corrado


quality posts: 130 Private Messages Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

Red Zeppelin Winery - Three Pack
$49.99 + $5 shipping
Condition: Red
Products:
1 2005 Black Zeppelin
1 2005 Red Zeppelin Syrah
1 NV (05/06) Red Zeppelin Vinidiction

CT links above!

Corrado's Training Blog @ http://DrawnOutsideTheLinesOfReason.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/Corrado
**********************


It's not my fault that I love Gatzby! He's such a pretty, pretty "man."

Cesare


quality posts: 1642 Private Messages Cesare

Winery Website

Red Zeppelin on Facebook

Congrats to hld1970 for the correct guess!

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

gcdyersb


quality posts: 141 Private Messages gcdyersb

What a surprise, high alcohol and Paso Robles . . . .

Cabernet Franc: it's not just for blending! It's also for blogging.

OmniOne


quality posts: 6 Private Messages OmniOne

i may be forced to buy this based on the winery name alone.

hey hey what can i do?

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 185 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

Wine.Woot Gatherings, courtesy of CJ:

cjsiege wrote: Upcoming Woot Wine Gatherings…All The News for the week of January 10.
Visit our Wine.Woot Event Calendar on Google Calendar!

January
1/16: NoVA/DC #15.75: New Year’s Resolutions
1/16: Buffalo #3: Braving the Elements
1/16: Ohio #2: Dayton Area
1/22: Minnesota #10: Alaska1 is in town
1/23: Colorado #4 / Wyoming #1: Fireworks in the Snow
TBD: NYC#14: The Rescheduled Holiday Bash

February
2/13:Dallas #6.5: Happy VD at Amici’s
2/19-21: 2010 Dark & Delicious Weekend Coordination Thread.
2/20: NorCal #4: Post-D&D Recovery
2/20: NoVA/DC #16: Theme TBD
TBD: Connecticut #5

March
3/5-7: Arizona #1: Spring Training!
3/13: Dallas #7: Chinese BBQ

April
4/17: Dallas #7.5: Citrus Bistro

May
5/14-16: Vegas #1:CyberPub Cellars Bottling
5/15: Dallas #8: Eden
5/29: Detroit #?: Woot Cellars Celebration

July
7/17: Second Annual Sip & Sail (NYC)
7/20-22: RPM’s Historical Wine Tour
7/31: Connecticut Clambake #2: An Annual Tradition

Looking for some helping hands: No events in your area??? Start one! Create an interest thread in the World of Wine Woot Community Tab!



So create or join one now!


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

StillmanB


quality posts: 21 Private Messages StillmanB

Howdy, hos! I'm Stillman Brown, the Red Zeppelin winemaker/founder/vineyard consultant/party hurler. I'm here to answer questions and try to remember that harvest in September, and the pH to the third decimal. (Sorry, but one of my favorite wine bar owners had a birthday party, so I'm soluble.) I hear the surf outside my window (really, it's that big) and I'll be around the next 48 hours for all y'all. Clone 877, turbocharged Grenache, Alvis screwcaps, and the best wine to serve with thrash metal or Domenico Scarlatti . . . I have advice worth its weight in organic sulfur! And party invites.

PghRiverRat


quality posts: 1 Private Messages PghRiverRat

Some notes from AlaWine.com:

Red Zeppelin Black Zeppelin 2005 is a big, bold, and ultimately beautiful red wine blend of Syrah, Alicante, and Cabernet. It is dry and full bodied, with powerful fruit flavors and firm tannins. Suggested retail price is $50. Overall composite score: 97 points.

http://alawine.com/archives/05-01-2007_05-31-2007.html

Tempting indeed...

I like to cook with wine. In fact, I drank a bottle last night while cooking dinner!

StillmanB


quality posts: 21 Private Messages StillmanB
gcdyersb wrote:What a surprise, high alcohol and Paso Robles . . . .



turbizzi


quality posts: 5 Private Messages turbizzi

In for one, and expecting it to rock the pants off Le Cigare Volant, which is one of the best red blends I've ever had and worth every bit of the $30 or so per bottle.

Throwing down a gauntlet like that takes some serious swagger - about as much swagger as Robert Plant puts into "Black Dog."

also...please labrat me.

StillmanB


quality posts: 21 Private Messages StillmanB
StillmanB wrote:



Tell me about it! I had to re-test the Black Zeppelin for Japanese export, and it came up 16.1 instead of the 15.9 on the label. I pick on flavor and seed lignification, and when I see a storm offshore . . .

koneco


quality posts: 16 Private Messages koneco

I buy for the name, my gut feeling, and the entertaining winemaker.

koneco


quality posts: 16 Private Messages koneco

I don't know nothin' 'bout no labrattery rules or nothin', but I wouldn't mind labrattin' this offerin'. However, it mus' be expressed that I ain't no wordsmith, and I ain't know much about describin' wine with fancy terms an' such, but I know a good wine when I taste one, so y'all let me know if you be wantin' a good, honest 'pinion.

DefilerZ


quality posts: 1 Private Messages DefilerZ

I rarely buy woot wines that are actually wine. I bought the Adequate gift pack for the story, and the mead a while ago because, hell its mead.

I am buying this for the name. I hope it is good!

gcdyersb


quality posts: 141 Private Messages gcdyersb
StillmanB wrote:Tell me about it! I had to re-test the Black Zeppelin for Japanese export, and it came up 16.1 instead of the 15.9 on the label. I pick on flavor and seed lignification, and when I see a storm offshore . . .



I comment because there is a stereotype of Paso Robles wines--which often turns out to be just that, a stereotype. But then a 16%er shows up!

Did you acidulate the Black Zeppelin? Or did it retain acidity well with the high sugar ripeness?

Cabernet Franc: it's not just for blending! It's also for blogging.

StillmanB


quality posts: 21 Private Messages StillmanB
gcdyersb wrote:I comment because there is a stereotype of Paso Robles wines--which often turns out to be just that, a stereotype. But then a 16%er shows up!

Did you acidulate the Black Zeppelin? Or did it retain acidity well with the high sugar ripeness?



Awesome, a real question! I don't get this at Las Vegas events. I whacked the 05 Black a bit (1.2g/L tartaric) based on the harvest chemistry of 6.6 ta and 3.68 pH. I wanted the acid & pH to be roughly the same at the end of fermentation as at harvest. It's an E facing hill on the cooler side of Paso so it wasn't dangerous.

kylemittskus


quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus
StillmanB wrote:Awesome, a real question! I don't get this at Las Vegas events. I whacked the 05 Black a bit (1.2g/L tartaric) based on the harvest chemistry of 6.6 ta and 3.68 pH. I wanted the acid & pH to be roughly the same at the end of fermentation as at harvest. It's an E facing hill on the cooler side of Paso so it wasn't dangerous.



Why did you blend two vintages into one wine? Not enough wine for the first vintage? Left overs? Was it always planned to be that way?

Side question: You have one purchase on one of the woot sites. What did you buy?

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

StillmanB


quality posts: 21 Private Messages StillmanB

To find out about the wildest winery party in the U.S., CayucaPalooza, Wet Zeppelin II: go to www.SwillyIdle.com (my nickname, ahem).
In case you're on the Central Coast next August, our Cal Poly enology & viticulture scholarship fundraiser is an extravaganza of wine, food, music, and absurd behavior. Our attorneys have advised us not to post videos or pictures . . . but we can tell you where to find them. Or make your own!

StillmanB


quality posts: 21 Private Messages StillmanB
kylemittskus wrote:Why did you blend two vintages into one wine? Not enough wine for the first vintage? Left overs? Was it always planned to be that way?

Side question: You have one purchase on one of the woot sites. What did you buy?



I made an 04 Vinidiction (Syrah/Cab blend, both Bear Valley) but the NV Vinidiction is 05 Bear Valley Syrah and 06 Paso (Hall-Brady) Cab; the 05 Bear Valley Cab didn't ripen enough to be an Red Zeppelin wine, and the 06 was too earthy/herbal. (I made most of the 06 Bear Valley Syrah into a 2nd label wine.) As the various lots I had in the cellar aged, I kept tasting them to see what was most compatible. Despite the 'leftover' connotation of non-vintage, I went with it.
I got the tea!

auggie24


quality posts: 23 Private Messages auggie24

I love me some Syrah, and all of these seem to be swimming with it.

Can you let us (me) know why the "1% White Varietal" was thrown into the mix on the Syrah?

JOATMON


quality posts: 19 Private Messages JOATMON
StillmanB wrote:To find out about the wildest winery party in the U.S., CayucaPalooza, Wet Zeppelin II: go to www.SwillyIdle.com (my nickname, ahem).
In case you're on the Central Coast next August, our Cal Poly enology & viticulture scholarship fundraiser is an extravaganza of wine, food, music, and absurd behavior. Our attorneys have advised us not to post videos or pictures . . . but we can tell you where to find them. Or make your own!



Wait; Cow Piley has an enology and viticulture program? Since when? I don't remember one when I attended.

Are you a graduate?

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

kaptkobe


quality posts: 0 Private Messages kaptkobe

In for two willing to labrat
'

StillmanB


quality posts: 21 Private Messages StillmanB

BTW, the Alicante Bouschet in the Black Zeppelin was the first planting of this varietal in SLO County in sixty years; I thought it would be one of the few varietals able to stand up to low yielding Syrah in a field blend, and contribute animal/plum notes (it's appx 16% of the wine). It's a cross of Grenache and Petite Bouschet (which is half Aramon?? and half Tenturier, thus the color) and so could be referred to as a turbocharged Grenache, or for you viticulturally inclined Norwegian punk rock fans, a Turbonegro-charged Grenache. Ahem! Great band . . . .

StillmanB


quality posts: 21 Private Messages StillmanB
JOATMON wrote:Wait; Cow Piley has an enology and viticulture program? Since when? I don't remember one when I attended.

Are you a graduate?



Nay, I am a Berkeley grad from eons past. The Cal Poly program only started 5 years ago, and is up to 300 students. I had a scholarship application on Facebook today!!

StillmanB


quality posts: 21 Private Messages StillmanB
auggie24 wrote:I love me some Syrah, and all of these seem to be swimming with it.

Can you let us (me) know why the "1% White Varietal" was thrown into the mix on the Syrah?



It looked harmless enough, and I thought it might contribute a bit of acidity. I brought canes to various profs and growers, the semi-consensus was Sauv Blanc but it's grassless.

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 185 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
koneco wrote:I don't know nothin' 'bout no labrattery rules or nothin', but I wouldn't mind labrattin' this offerin'. However, it mus' be expressed that I ain't no wordsmith, and I ain't know much about describin' wine with fancy terms an' such, but I know a good wine when I taste one, so y'all let me know if you be wantin' a good, honest 'pinion.





For all those new to “Labrat” and/or “rattery” …..

Cheron98 has kindly put all information about the Labrat program at the beginning of the Labrat Thread (where she kindly and graciously cross-posts all the labrat posts into one convenient place).

She has the rules of "rattery" there. As well as a listing of the labrats and offers from June 2 of last year (2008).


Only the Monday offer will have labrats. Offers later in the week will not.


In essence, once you sign up for the labrat program, you are eligible to receive an additional bottle from the current offer (via FedEx overnight) if:

a) Sign up for the labrat program (See WineDavid's Signature line).
b) You purchase the new Sunday/Monday offer before the deadline (usually 10 am CT, Monday).


There are no set guidelines other than doing your best to present your opinions about the labrat bottle in a timely manner (since there may be some people on the fence about the current offer, and are waiting for your opinions). You can be as creative (or not) as you want. Read thru some of the previous labrats to get an idea. There are a lot of humorous reports, as well as serious ones.


Some have used the UC Davis Wine Scoring System and others have used the Parker 100 point system. Others have just used “It’s Good!”. There is no right or wrong way to report.

For a quick overview of the majority of wine scoring systems, the DeLong Wine Ratings Review is available as a PDF.


DeLong Wine has been on Wine.Woot before with their Varietal Chart and Tasting Books, and sponsors The Century Club for those who have tasted over 100 different varietals (and we have several Wine.Wooters as members, with others on the verge). Check out Century Club thread in the World of Woot Wine for more info. And they’ve added a “Doppel Member” status for those who have tasted over 200 different varietals. They are supposed to have a new form (Word and Excel) in May to help with the 200.


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

StillmanB


quality posts: 21 Private Messages StillmanB
MarkDaSpark wrote:For all those new to “Labrat” and/or “rattery” …..

Cheron98 has kindly put all information about the Labrat program at the beginning of the Labrat Thread (where she kindly and graciously cross-posts all the labrat posts into one convenient place).

She has the rules of "rattery" there. As well as a listing of the labrats and offers from June 2 of last year (2008).


Only the Monday offer will have labrats. Offers later in the week will not.


In essence, once you sign up for the labrat program, you are eligible to receive an additional bottle from the current offer (via FedEx overnight) if:

a) Sign up for the labrat program (See WineDavid's Signature line).
b) You purchase the new Sunday/Monday offer before the deadline (usually 10 am CT, Monday).


There are no set guidelines other than doing your best to present your opinions about the labrat bottle in a timely manner (since there may be some people on the fence about the current offer, and are waiting for your opinions). You can be as creative (or not) as you want. Read thru some of the previous labrats to get an idea. There are a lot of humorous reports, as well as serious ones.


Some have used the UC Davis Wine Scoring System and others have used the Parker 100 point system. Others have just used “It’s Good!”. There is no right or wrong way to report.

For a quick overview of the majority of wine scoring systems, the DeLong Wine Ratings Review is available as a PDF.


DeLong Wine has been on Wine.Woot before with their Varietal Chart and Tasting Books, and sponsors The Century Club for those who have tasted over 100 different varietals (and we have several Wine.Wooters as members, with others on the verge). Check out Century Club thread in the World of Woot Wine for more info. And they’ve added a “Doppel Member” status for those who have tasted over 200 different varietals. They are supposed to have a new form (Word and Excel) in May to help with the 200.



VERY interesting. My own point system is the dollar scale, combining both objective and subjective criteria; I once unkindly suggested that the 'purely objective' numerical wine rating scales were developed by critics who got all their wine for free . . .

merbill


quality posts: 29 Private Messages merbill

So why do you show on the label a Red Zeppelin that has crashed? I wouldn't think you'd want your product associated with "crash and burn".

3X Wine Wooters FFL Champion, Commissioner, and Monkey Prize recipient
RPM Tours #2 & #4 Tourista
Wine Century Club Member #919

alexa84


quality posts: 7 Private Messages alexa84


Red Zeppelin Winery - Three Pack
Ongoing Sale: http://wine.woot.com/monday/
Current numbers (updated each minute)
First sucker: Nautique99
Speed to first woot: 0m 7.400s
Last wooter to woot: alexa84


This is the first time I've logged on early on a Monday morning to find a wine that would ship to AZ (the shipping combined with 'Sunday night is the night I go out at the end of *my* work week so I don't get on the computer until late in the day Monday' make things difficult here). Is it wrong that I bought it with the hope of getting my very first chance to be a lab rat? (hint, hint)

<--- is ALWAYS available to rat *** my cellar in progress (don't judge!) ***

currently in training for the CSW exam & very excited about it!

Degaman88


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Degaman88

No Tennessee.. :O( Better luck next time.

veni, vidi, vici

dantudor@tudorwines.com


quality posts: 46 Private Messages dantudor@tudorwines.com

Stillman makes Awesome Wine!! This is a steal! I've consumed at least several cases of this wine with the winemaker himself while attending his off the scale fun parties in Cayucos, California. It's world-class fine wine and if you're lucky, you will attend his annual event featuring multiple live bands. Cheers! "Steely" Dan

rnatalie


quality posts: 11 Private Messages rnatalie

OK, I'm in for a set. $15/bottle is worth the risk for Paso Robles for me.

Certified Wine Geek

StillmanB


quality posts: 21 Private Messages StillmanB
merbill wrote:So why do you show on the label a Red Zeppelin that has crashed? I wouldn't think you'd want your product associated with "crash and burn".



Whoa, a marketing question? Or is it a label design question? Anyway, the first gen label (Syrah and Vinidiction) has the crashing Zeppelin that fits the original story. The 2nd gen label on the Black, and the White (Viognier) and Cabernet shows a sideways flying Zeppelin, and the 3rd gen (at this point an awesome painting by Adam Licsko yet unseen by the world) has the Zeppelin flying toward the observer. Am I trying to cover every angle or hopelessly confusing the issue? Yes.

StillmanB


quality posts: 21 Private Messages StillmanB
dantudor@tudorwines.com wrote:Stillman makes Awesome Wine!! This is a steal! I've consumed at least several cases of this wine with the winemaker himself while attending his off the scale fun parties in Cayucos, California. It's world-class fine wine and if you're lucky, you will attend his annual event featuring multiple live bands. Cheers! "Steely" Dan



Thanks, Dan. I love your Pinot Noir, too. Since when do you own up to that nickname, anyway? I thought everyone liked it except you?!?

jwhite6114


quality posts: 119 Private Messages jwhite6114

How good is this deal?

I'm still working on completing this comparison, as shipping prices are not listed on the winery website. However, based on the per bottle prices, this one is working out to be one heck of a deal even before shipping is taken into consideration.

Click the link above for full discount details, CT links and prices, and all the rest.

CT | | | | | |

threemoons


quality posts: 18 Private Messages threemoons

In for one; I love me some whacky blends.

Would LOVE to rat this, and it's been a while (hint hint)

StillmanB


quality posts: 21 Private Messages StillmanB
jwhite6114 wrote:How good is this deal?

I'm still working on completing this comparison, as shipping prices are not listed on the winery website. However, based on the per bottle prices, this one is working out to be one heck of a deal even before shipping is taken into consideration.

Click the link above for full discount details, CT links and prices, and all the rest.



Based on fedex ground rates and a styro 3pack, my winery shipping is $15 to the Western US and $20 to the Central and Eastern US. That info isn't on the Red Zeppelin site, it's from my shipper.

StillmanB


quality posts: 21 Private Messages StillmanB

The WineWoot price for these wines is pretty much my friends and family price, with cheaper shipping.

norvegicus


quality posts: 2 Private Messages norvegicus

In. Happy to 'rat!

ZigIsAwesome


quality posts: 3 Private Messages ZigIsAwesome

This deal makes me really wish I was able to get wine shipped to me in Pennsylvania. Does anyone know if there's a way to find out if this wine exists in any stores near me? I tried the website but it didn't have any kind of information about it.