+ Add a Comment

Krugsters

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Krugsters

PLEASE NOTE: After July 30th no refunds will be given for cancellations for paid reservations on the boat or Central Park Tour. You may, if you wish, find someone to take your spot and transfer the reservation though. Thanks for understanding.

2nd ANNUAL Sip and Sail/New York City Wine Wooters Weekend

August 20-22, 2010

A 3 Day Wine & Food Event

FRIDAY NIGHT, August 20th, 7PM-?
Sake & Sushi at Krugsters and shamer's Place.
Delicious assortment of sushi paired with SakéOne sakes. Champagne and dessert donations welcome.
NOT TO MISS-ddeuddeg's white chocolate-ginger cheesecake
$10pp
Due to space, limited to the first 14 people.
FILLED

SATURDAY AUGUST 21st, 12-2 PM:
Sip and Sail private charter wine.wooters cruise on the Shearwater yacht.
$50 per person
$10 Raffle for a chance to win 1937 Warre's Colheita Reserve Tawny Port
A very rare and hard to find bottle.
Picture of Bottle and Description
White wines only, no reds on boat.
LIMITED TO 40 PEOPLE,
7 spaces left as of 8/11/10.

and not to be missed...last year's raffle winner Fishzine has generously offered to open his winning magnum of 1995 Gosset Champagne Celebris Brut.. This is indeed a treat and not to be missed! Thanks Fishzine!

SATURDAY, AUGUST 21st, 3-6 PM:
Reserved waterside terrace seating (weather permitting) brunch and BYOB with NO CORKAGE at Southwest New York. The Brunch menu is now up on their new website. Looks delicious!
It is a lovely short walk along the water from the boat.
Red wines preferred but not exclusive.
HAK has graciously offered to open his Magnum of 1979 Robert Mondavi Winery Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve, again, another raffle prize win. Thanks HAK!
LIMITED TO 40 PEOPLE
16 spaces left as of 8/6/10

SUNDAY AUGUST 22nd, EARLY AFTERNOON, 11AM-1PM
$6 Bottomless mimosa or bloody mary brunch at Regional .
LIMITED TO 25 PEOPLE
11 spaces left as of 7/21/10

AFTERNOON 2PM-3PM
Customized, private Guided Nature Walk in the North Woods of Central Park .
MANHATTAN ADIRONDACKS-
Olmsted and Vaux designed the North Woods after the forests of the Adirondack Mountains, with their crystal streams, tumbling cascades, rustic bridges and picturesque pools right in NYC's backyard.
Hilly, stairs, and a few Park-related obstacles to negotiate-not recommended for the handicapped.
$15 includes cost of tour and gratuity.
LIMITED TO 25 PEOPLE,
11 spaces left as of 7/21/10.

EVENING, 5-7 PM
Tapas and Spanish wine tasting led by Spanish expert sommelier John Davidson at Buceo 95.
$35 includes 4 tasting portions of selected Spanish wines paired with assorted tapas.
LIMITED TO 18 PEOPLE,
10 spaces left as of 7/21/10

Here is the link to last year's thread.

*1. Krugsters (Paid Boat,Raffle,Sushi,CPTour,SW,Regional&Buceo)
*2. shamer (Paid Boat,Raffle,Sushi, CPTour,SW,Regional,Buceo)
*3. kttest (Paid Boat, Raffle, Sushi,SW)
*4. Cesare (Paid Boat, Raffle, Sushi,SW)
*5. ddeuddeg (Paid Boat,Raffle,NPSushi,CPTour,SW,Regional&Buceo)
*6. bahwm (Paid Boat,Raffle,NPSushi,CPTour,SW,Regional&Buceo)
7. Fishzine (Paid Boat, Raffle,SW,Regional)
8. Fishzine + 1 (Paid Boat, Raffle,SW,Regional)
9. afranke (Paid Boat,Raffle)
10. afranke + 1 (Paid Boat)
*11. HAK (Paid Boat,Raffle,NPSushi,SW,?Regional&Buceo)
*12.speedoo (Paid Boat,Raffle,Sushi,)
13. speedoo +1
14. PetiteSirah (Paid Boat,Raffle,SW?Bueco)
15. PetiteSirah + 1 (Paid Boat,Raffle,SW,Bueco)
16. canonizer (Paid Boat,Raffle)
17. canonizer + 1 (Paid Boat,Raffle)
18. rpm (Paid Boat, Raffle,SW)
19. SWMBO (Paid Boat, Raffle,SW)
*20. tiger7610 (Paid Boat,Raffle,CPTour,NPSushi, SW, Regional)
*21. UBlink (Paid Boat,Raffle,Sushi,CPTour,SW)
*22. Ublink +1(Paid Boat,Raffle,Sushi,CPTour,SW)
*23. Ublink +2(Paid Boat,Raffle,Sushi,CPTour,SW)
24. polarbear22 (Paid Boat,Raffle,CPTour,SW, Regional)
25. polarbear22 +1 (Paid Boat,Raffle,CPTour,SW Regional)
26. justplainjulie (Paid Boat,Raffle,CPTour,SW,Regional&Buceo)
27. justplainjulie+1 (Paid Boat,Raffle,CPTour,SW,Regional&Buceo)
28. Kao1138 (Paid Boat,Raffle,CPTour,SW,Regional,Buceo)
*29. iByron (Paid Boat,Raffle,Sushi,SW)
30. iByron +1 (Paid Boat,NPRaffle)
31. cugino di Cesare (NP boat,raffle?,NPsushi,SW)

*shamer's Mummy (no Boat,Sushi,CPTour,Regional)

MAYBES:
1. justinrsanderson
2. darlenee1
3. darlenee1 +1
4. conroo
5. conroo +1
6. tiger7610 +1
7. friend of Cesare
8. Friend of Cesare

REGRETS
Cheron98, mewalk707, thatguy314, thatgirl214, peitie sirah's +2, otolith, wifey-pooh

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98

me + friend if in july

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42

I'm in as well, as long as it's a weekend I'm around. July may be pretty full (with rpm tour & CT clambake) but if enough people decide on one of the off weekends, I'm in. I'm also in for August.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 185 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

Just in case anyone has questions about what went on at last year's Sip n Sail.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg

With those 4 names on the list, how could we resist, especially with my Jesuit buddy on 16th St. offering us a place to stay as his guests. And he makes incredible martinis!

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

fishzine

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fishzine

You can add me, and a +1 to the list. Had a blast last year and will find someway to fit it into my schedule.

edit to add, July or August would be fine with me.

speedoo

quality posts: 41 Private Messages speedoo
fishzine wrote:You can add me, and a +1 to the list. Had a blast last year and will find someway to fit it into my schedule.

edit to add, July or August would be fine with me.

July looks very busy with the RPM tour II plus the CT clambake. But please add me and +1 to the list and note my preference for August.

PetiteSirah

quality posts: 80 Private Messages PetiteSirah

me + 2

Hail the victor, the king without flaw
Salute your new master ... Petite Sirah!

"Who has two thumbs and loves Petite Sirah?" ThisGuy!

canonizer

quality posts: 22 Private Messages canonizer

subject to finalizing dates, me+1

signed.

Krugsters

Updated first post.

I've also been thinking in between diaper changes...

Changes for this year:
1. Everyone should bring their own GoVino glasses if they wish to have them. Otherwise, it's the boat's lousy plastic cups.
2. Everything is prepaid via paypal this time around.
3. Do people still want a raffle?

kttest

quality posts: 2 Private Messages kttest

I also suggest that it NOT be a formal tasting...we just bring wine and drink and enjoy the sail. That way no one is stuck doing the pouring and missing out on the enjoyment of the whole thing. Everyone could just bring a bottle or could chip in and we buy a case of something to share.

- Krista
"Wine is the most civilized thing in the world." -Ernest Hemingway.
NYC Tastings Summary courtesy of HAK

cheron98

kttest wrote:I also suggest that it NOT be a formal tasting...we just bring wine and drink and enjoy the sail. That way no one is stuck doing the pouring and missing out on the enjoyment of the whole thing. Everyone could just bring a bottle or could chip in and we buy a case of something to share.

I agree with this.

fishzine

kttest wrote:I also suggest that it NOT be a formal tasting...we just bring wine and drink and enjoy the sail. That way no one is stuck doing the pouring and missing out on the enjoyment of the whole thing. Everyone could just bring a bottle or could chip in and we buy a case of something to share.

Maybe a middle ground? I think the problem last year was too many wines and with only two bottles of each we had to have someone doing the pouring or not everyone got to try each wine(I recall this happened with first wine when we tried to simply pass it around). Maybe cut the # of wines in half and shoot for 4 bottles of each that can be simply passed around? Also make sure we have a tasting order planned out and a rough estimate on how long we will have for each type till the next four bottles are opened? Just an idea.

As far as Krugster's other questions:

Obviously I liked having the raffle last year, so would vote to do it again :P

The Govino glasses where nice but certainly not a deal breaker. Nice enough to still enjoy the wine but cheap enough that I didn't care to carry it around the rest of the night so gave it away. Again maybe just need to spread the work around and have someone else in charge of the glasses so a couple people are not doing everything?

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
Krugsters wrote:6. bahwm ( I assume...)

I guess you assumed this because I used the pronoun "we" in my response earlier. I didn't mean to be cryptic. Thanks for assuming correctly.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

Krugsters

fishzine wrote:

As far as Krugster's other questions:

Obviously I liked having the raffle last year, so would vote to do it again :P

BY THE WAY, I'm DYING to know...did you open up that bottle yet?? If so, we NEED a report!

Krugsters

ddeuddeg wrote:
I guess you assumed this because I used the pronoun "we" in my response earlier. I didn't mean to be cryptic. Thanks for assuming correctly.

Sorry, I got distracted by Jesuit.
I like Jesuits.
And Franciscans even more.
A Franciscan monk married shamer and I. In Italy.

fishzine

Krugsters wrote:BY THE WAY, I'm DYING to know...did you open up that bottle yet?? If so, we NEED a report!

No, still waiting for the right occasion to open it up.

rpm

quality posts: 175 Private Messages rpm

July 17th is awfully close to the Tour starting July 19th.

August would work better for me.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

spdrcr05

quality posts: 30 Private Messages spdrcr05

me +1

In periods of profound change, the most dangerous thing is to incrementalize yourself into the future -- Thomas Edision

cheron98

Well, July 17th is the only day me and +1 will be able to make it since we were planning to be in NYC that weekend anyway. Hotel & flight are booked, and we'll be there a few days - so even if the Sip & Sail doesn't happen, we'll be more than happy to meet up with the locals for dinner/drinks some evening anyway

Krugsters

cheron98 wrote:Well, July 17th is the only day me and +1 will be able to make it since we were planning to be in NYC that weekend anyway. Hotel & flight are booked, and we'll be there a few days - so even if the Sip & Sail doesn't happen, we'll be more than happy to meet up with the locals for dinner/drinks some evening anyway

Awesome. We can always do a mini Sip 'n Sail. :0

afranke

quality posts: 10 Private Messages afranke

I'm in + 1.

Krugsters

OK. So I just got off the phone with Shearwater. Even though they have raised their prices since last year (it went up $500 for a private charter!) they are agreeing to honor the price we paid last year plus charge no corkage fees for our bottles (normally $10 a bottle).

Yay!

Dates:
Please post your preference and majority wins.

Saturday August 21st or
Saturday August 28th.

Time:
We can have either the 12:00 to 2:00 PM time slot or the 5:00 to 7:00 PM.

Price:
$50 per person

AND...this year I might handle the door prize differently. For $5 I might get a nice case of something and have 12 winners instead of one. Thoughts?
Or I can do my usual and have one REALLY nice bottle.

This year though I ask that everyone prepay via PayPal for the boat and raffle. That way I can do the administrative work beforehand and enjoy the sail this year.

Also, different from the last sail, just bring a bottle of whatever you like. No lists just surprise everyone. If you are part of a couple than just bring one bottle per couple. That way we won't end up with 40 bottles of wine.

AND bring your own Go Vino glass. Either that are use the boat's crappy plastic cups.

cheron98

Krugsters wrote:Saturday August 21st or
Saturday August 28th.

Well, that officially puts me out. Sorry

Krugsters

cheron98 wrote:Well, that officially puts me out. Sorry

I know. I'm sorry. With the timing of the RPM tour the August dates seem the most realistic.

But the NY crew will show you a good time the weekend you are here so no worries.

justinrsanderson

quality posts: 1 Private Messages justinrsanderson

I'm interested, does this leave from NYC? Any other type of event planned (rather than just a 2 hours sail?)

"If it smells done, it's done. If it smells burnt, it's burnt. If it don't smell, it ain't done yet."

HitAnyKey42

Krugsters wrote:OK. So I just got off the phone with Shearwater. Even though they have raised their prices since last year (it went up $500 for a private charter!) they are agreeing to honor the price we paid last year plus charge no corkage fees for our bottles (normally $10 a bottle).

That is total AWESOMENESS!!

Krugsters wrote:
Dates:
Please post your preference and majority wins.
Saturday August 21st or
Saturday August 28th.

Time:
We can have either the 12:00 to 2:00 PM time slot or the 5:00 to 7:00 PM.

AND...this year I might handle the door prize differently. For $5 I might get a nice case of something and have 12 winners instead of one. Thoughts?
Or I can do my usual and have one REALLY nice bottle.

This year though I ask that everyone prepay via PayPal for the boat and raffle. That way I can do the administrative work beforehand and enjoy the sail this year.

Also, different from the last sail, just bring a bottle of whatever you like. No lists just surprise everyone. If you are part of a couple than just bring one bottle per couple. That way we won't end up with 40 bottles of wine.

Currently I think either date works for me. I’ll think more on that later and try to figure out if I’m planning on having anything planned for those weekends. Don’t think time would matter to me either.
Door prize, for now I’ll just go with whatever others want….unless I change my mind later and put in an opinion.

I do still think we should have some sort of a list of what wines people are bringing. I’ll maintain the list if no one else wants to. Obviously I’m sure some people might not know what they want to bring too far ahead of time, but as people decide what they want to bring I feel it’s best to post it. Yes, the plan is somewhat of a “casual” non-tasting tasting, but it’ll still be good to know ahead of time most of the wines. Then some form of “order” can be considered for them. And as we won’t have multiple bottles of the wines, and not everyone will be able to try every wine (because the bottles will empty too fast), then ppl can have an idea of which ones they will plan to skip (especially if they’ve already had them before) and which ones they want to make sure to try. Or something like that.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

HitAnyKey42

justinrsanderson wrote:I'm interested, does this leave from NYC? Any other type of event planned (rather than just a 2 hours sail?)

Here is the link to last year's thread. (Kathy you may want to add it somewhere in the first post)

After the tasting last year we went over to hang out at a wine bar (yes, wine then more wine). Some people did some touring of the city and such as well.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

tiger7610

quality posts: 17 Private Messages tiger7610

I"m a maybe but I would vote for the 21st, since 28th is a bit too close to the start of school, but its too early for me to confirm just yet.

Krugsters

justinrsanderson wrote:I'm interested, does this leave from NYC? Any other type of event planned (rather than just a 2 hours sail?)

Yes. it leaves from lower Manhattan.

And yes.
Right now I am leaning towards booking the 12 to 2 PM time slot on the boat so
afterward anyone who wants can head over to Estancia 460 for a late lunch It's a short walk along the water from the boat.
I am working with the owner to coordinate a flat price 3 course lunch (app, main, dessert and coffee) with a tasting of South American wines.
The food will be $20 to $30 per person with the drinks additional.

We will have a private, dedicated area for our
group reserved from 3 to 6 PM.

I don't have time to provide all the links right now (babies are awake) but will do so later.

Krugsters

HitAnyKey42 wrote:

I do still think we should have some sort of a list of what wines people are bringing. I’ll maintain the list if no one else wants to. Obviously I’m sure some people might not know what they want to bring too far ahead of time, but as people decide what they want to bring I feel it’s best to post it. Yes, the plan is somewhat of a “casual” non-tasting tasting, but it’ll still be good to know ahead of time most of the wines. Then some form of “order” can be considered for them. And as we won’t have multiple bottles of the wines, and not everyone will be able to try every wine (because the bottles will empty too fast), then ppl can have an idea of which ones they will plan to skip (especially if they’ve already had them before) and which ones they want to make sure to try. Or something like that.

No, this is going to be a "pop and pour" event. No order, no lists, you get what you get so choose who you sit next to wisely .
If we have doubles of wines than so be it (although I can't imagine we will with the field being open to bring whatever you want).

I think this also makes it more fun....Like "Hey everyone down at this end of the boat...HAK just opened his 1998 bottle of Dom".
Let's for once not plan this part out.

kttest

quality posts: 2 Private Messages kttest
Krugsters wrote:OK. ...they are agreeing to honor the price we paid last year plus charge no corkage fees for our bottles (normally $10 a bottle).

What a negotiator! I should have hired you as my wedding planner.

Everything you mentioned sounds great, as of now, I think either date works for us and the earlier time could be nice with a lunch option afterwards.

- Krista
"Wine is the most civilized thing in the world." -Ernest Hemingway.
NYC Tastings Summary courtesy of HAK

Krugsters

kttest wrote:What a negotiator! I should have hired you as my wedding planner.

Watch out William Shatner!

justinrsanderson

quality posts: 1 Private Messages justinrsanderson

This sounds better and better.....I'm always looking for excuses to head in to the city, and this sounds like a perfect opportunity to hit some of the restaurants I've been waiting to visit, like Daniel's new DBGB.

A sushi lunch would be great too, one of the other days.

"If it smells done, it's done. If it smells burnt, it's burnt. If it don't smell, it ain't done yet."

Krugsters

justinrsanderson wrote:[/url].

A sushi lunch would be great too, one of the other days.

Perhaps one of the other members of the NY crew can arrange this? Perhaps a champagne/sushi event?

Also, I might be able to contact someone about a Friday evening or Sunday afternoon tasting workshop if people are interested. A well known name in the wine world.

Krugsters

justinrsanderson wrote:This sounds better and better.....I'm always looking for excuses to head in to the city, and this sounds like a perfect opportunity to hit some of the restaurants I've been waiting to visit, like Daniel's new DBGB.

Wow. DBGB looks amazing!
Perhaps we can reserve the 16 seat private dining for Friday night? Wonder how much that is?

rpm

quality posts: 175 Private Messages rpm
Krugsters wrote:Yes. it leaves from lower Manhattan.

And yes.
Right now I am leaning towards booking the 12 to 2 PM time slot on the boat so
afterward anyone who wants can head over to Estancia 460 for a late lunch It's a short walk along the water from the boat.
I am working with the owner to coordinate a flat price 3 course lunch (app, main, dessert and coffee) with a tasting of South American wines.
The food will be $20 to $30 per person with the drinks additional.

We will have a private, dedicated area for our
group reserved from 3 to 6 PM.

I don't have time to provide all the links right now (babies are awake) but will do so later.

This looks promising for SWMBO + rpm.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith

Hmmmm, I wonder if I could talk the wifey-pooh into a weekend in NYC that just so happens to involve a sip-n-sail.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

UBlink

quality posts: 19 Private Messages UBlink
otolith wrote:Hmmmm, I wonder if I could talk the wifey-pooh into a weekend in NYC that just so happens to involve a sip-n-sail.

The lovely Mrs. Blink thoroughly enjoyed the weekend last year. Might as well put me down as +2, including her NYC friend.

Following the eight word profile, political economy in eight words:
Ain't no free lunch - them what has gets.

fishzine

tiger7610 wrote:I"m a maybe but I would vote for the 21st, since 28th is a bit too close to the start of school, but its too early for me to confirm just yet.

My vote would be for the 21st too. I actually think school will have started here by the 28th, and that will complicate things greatly for trying to get to the city. Any of the times will be fine.