+ Add a Comment

sanity

quality posts: 5 Private Messages sanity

Updated 5/17/2010

So we've had the crush and the press, the racking was done by the winery, and the wine has been bottled! Guess what, it's not terrible, in fact it tastes pretty good!

A wine dinner and tasting and competition will be held end of August. I will confirm the cost here shortly.

The grapes we used:
62% Suisin Valley Zinfandel
23% Amador Barbera
15% Suisun Valley Cabernet Sauvignon (includes the small percentage of the community barrel, mostly cab, used to top off the barrel over the months.)

A small % of the community barrel is used to top of each barrel through the fermentation process.

Attendees
sanity and mr. sanity and friends
imagine4vr
cheron98 and friend
Markdaspark
tenuki
HAK
mewalk707 and tequila mom?
d-dog and bam
javadrinker and whizzo

Sponsors
full case Cheron98
full case Imagine4vr
full case Java
full case Markdaspark
full case mewalk707
3 3/4cases sanity plus mr sanity
full case tenuki
full case CAgirl
full case Bahwm and Ddeuddeg
1/2 case Zoomba77
full case Cat's friend
1/2 case polarbearr22
1/2 case HAK
1/4 case merbill
1/4 case sanity's friends

SHIPPING INFO
1/2 case lauratchi
full case cj
full case TtheC
full case gregorylane
1/2 case trwagner
1/2 case mewalk707's aunt
1/4 case Sulakd may pick up
1/2 case Tenuki's friend may pick up

What ever is left after the weekend is over, is what I'll be shipping.

So confusion does not reign, Here is a list of what I will do (if it is not on the list...please read between the lines )

If you could not find a wootlegger, or for some reason decided not to take your shares with you, then I will gladly ship your shares.

I will let you research the costs for shipping between ground and faster shipping. Just use any Vegas zip code to gt an idea of costs.

I will ship using proper boxes. Your shipment may be in multiple boxes.

I will ship using complete name, address with street name fully spelled out, zip and phone number.

I will ship using 1 carrier with whom I have an account. Ground or sooner, your choice. hint: the delivery people do not wear brown clothing.

I will email or pm your actual shipping costs after the box has been received by the carrier.

I will make a paypal link ava for payment.

I will accept a check.

I will ship your shares promptly after the bottling.

Imagine4vr

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Imagine4vr

Yay! Love that it's Vegas #1. I'm in for sure. I think in the previous thread we were leaning toward May 14-16. May 9 is Mothers Day and the last weekend of the month Mem'l Day.

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98

I will be there, along with my friend

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 182 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

May 14 to 16 work for me as well.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

gregorylane

quality posts: 15 Private Messages gregorylane

Following ten commandments & posting in the pub...the 14th is my birthday. I would totally enjoy meeting you folks and bringing the wine back!

What up with the August tasting/competition? Are the winemakers suggesting waiting 3 months to open, or is that just a reason to party?

There is really no point in trying to explain liberty to people who don't understand what it means.
rpm-2012

tenuki

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tenuki

You know I'm in Think Randy and his wife were planning on going first weekend of May for their bdays so they're out.

CT

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42

I'm also in. And I would also fly in on the 14th and then out on the evening of the 16th. Have to do the 16th because my Award expires on that day.

EDIT: Ugh, ick. I just looked at the SWA site and on Sunday the latest flight out of Vegas is a 11:40 AM flight with a 2 hour layover in BWI creating 8 hours of "travel time". ICK ICK!

EDIT EDIT: Hmm, though just realized I'm only 5.5 credits away from my next Award and I've been averaging almost a credit per month by use of the Visa points. So I should have another Award available such that I could fly home the morning of the 17th....which would allow me to take the 9:35AM direct flight for only 5 hours of travel time (getting me home at 10:35pm on Monday).
And I could take the 7:10am direct flight on Friday that would get me to Vegas at 9:50am, allowing the whole day in Vegas.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

mewalk707

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mewalk707

The 14-16th works for me. I'm considering driving instead of flying. Google maps says 10 hrs from Napa... not too bad. If I decide to drive I would be willing to bring any NorCal wine home with me. Don't hold me to that just yet though. I'll let you know when i've gone from consideration to decision.

I'm really looking forward to this. Hash House a Go Go has been calling my name and i'm hoping to find out if my bowling game was just a fluke that day.

sanity

gregorylane wrote:Following ten commandments & posting in the pub...the 14th is my birthday. I would totally enjoy meeting you folks and bringing the wine back!

What up with the August tasting/competition? Are the winemakers suggesting waiting 3 months to open, or is that just a reason to party?

Well, there's always reason to party.
Add in your b-day, it's a no-brainer!

imho the wine will not be ready to open in May, nor even in August. It will be drinkable, just not where it could be. I was given a bottle of 2008 wine Charlie made, and he suggested it not be opened till late 2010 at earliest.

We will be able to taste it at the bottling.

The August dinner event is held at World Market Center Las Vegas, and the judging that takes place is sponsored by one of the Culinary Associations (I'll double check which one). I also do not yet know the cost of the event.

sanity

mewalk707 wrote:The 14-16th works for me. I'm considering driving instead of flying. Google maps says 10 hrs from Napa... not too bad. If I decide to drive I would be willing to bring any NorCal wine home with me. Don't hold me to that just yet though. I'll let you know when i've gone from consideration to decision.

I'm really looking forward to this. Hash House a Go Go has been calling my name and i'm hoping to find out if my bowling game was just a fluke that day.

I'd be interested in bowling, too.

Anyone else interested in those geeky-cool shirts?

tenuki

mewalk707 wrote:The 14-16th works for me. I'm considering driving instead of flying. Google maps says 10 hrs from Napa... not too bad. If I decide to drive I would be willing to bring any NorCal wine home with me. Don't hold me to that just yet though. I'll let you know when i've gone from consideration to decision.

Should I ask why you're driving? Would you want a second driver?

CT

MarkDaSpark

sanity wrote:I'd be interested in bowling, too.

Anyone else interested in those geeky-cool shirts?

Yes. Prefer the red, but if the majority want the camel (ick) then that's okay. But really like the red Vegas one.

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

CAGrl

quality posts: 13 Private Messages CAGrl

Put me down as a maybe. By the way, what geeky t-shirts?

MarkDaSpark

CAGrl wrote:Put me down as a maybe. By the way, what geeky t-shirts?

In the original thread, there's a link and pics of some retro bowling shirts on the last page of the thread. Use the link in the beginning post that Sanity has above.

sanity

Just received this email from Charlie. Sounds like fun; I'm game! tenuki, sparky, anyone else?

Grape Expectations Port Party

Now that the hectic holiday season has come to a close, Grape Expectations would like to celebrate the beginning of a new decade by extending an invitation to all present and future winemakers to come join us at our inaugural 2010 Port Party. Our first ever, barrel of Ruby Port, has been aging for 15 months at the winery and with great anticipation is ready for bottling. Please join us for this momentous day.

When: Saturday, January 9th from 1pm till 7pm

Where: Grape Expectations (of course)

What to Expect: Fantastic Fun (of course) and light food, soft drinks, adult potions and libations will be served.

What to Bring: A smile and warm clothing

BARREL LEADERS: Please contact your barrel mates and share this invitation.

This is a golden opportunity to visit your 2009 wine barrel, eat/drink, meet and greet fellow wine makers.

Looking forward to a great day and feel free to share this invitation with your family and friends.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro (I came, I saw, I stuck around)

Charlie Peters (CWO) Chief Wine Officer

Grape Expectations

1971 Whitney Mesa, Henderson, NV 89014

806-3383

tommythecat78

quality posts: 18 Private Messages tommythecat78

Put me down as a maybe (+1) for now. I hope to move into the definitely column soon.

___________________________________________________________________________________________
My Cellar (has not been updated in forever)
Do the people want fire that can be applied nasally? -Golgafrinchan Marketing Consultant

MarkDaSpark

sanity wrote:Just received this email from Charlie. Sounds like fun; I'm game! tenuki, sparky, anyone else?

Now that the hectic holiday season has come to a close, Grape Expectations would like to celebrate the beginning of a new decade by extending an invitation to all present and future winemakers to come join us at our inaugural 2010 Port Party. Our first ever, barrel of Ruby Port, has been aging for 15 months at the winery and with great anticipation is ready for bottling. Please join us for this momentous day.

What to Expect: Fantastic Fun (of course) and light food, soft drinks, adult potions and libations will be served.

This is a golden opportunity to visit your 2009 wine barrel, eat/drink, meet and greet fellow wine makers.

Looking forward to a great day and feel free to share this invitation with your family and friends.

Grape Expectations

806-3383

Sorry. zTimBz's Party is that night.

Imagine4vr

sanity wrote:Just received this email from Charlie. Sounds like fun; I'm game! tenuki, sparky, anyone else?

Grape Expectations

806-3383

hmmm This sounds awesome and it's my birthday weekend. I will let you know in a day or two? Just have to figure out finances.

bahwm

quality posts: 29 Private Messages bahwm
HitAnyKey42 wrote:I'm also in. And I would also fly in on the 14th and then out on the evening of the 16th. Have to do the 16th because my Award expires on that day.

EDIT: Ugh, ick. I just looked at the SWA site and on Sunday the latest flight out of Vegas is a 11:40 AM flight with a 2 hour layover in BWI creating 8 hours of "travel time". ICK ICK!

EDIT EDIT: Hmm, though just realized I'm only 5.5 credits away from my next Award and I've been averaging almost a credit per month by use of the Visa points. So I should have another Award available such that I could fly home the morning of the 17th....which would allow me to take the 9:35AM direct flight for only 5 hours of travel time (getting me home at 10:35pm on Monday).
And I could take the 7:10am direct flight on Friday that would get me to Vegas at 9:50am, allowing the whole day in Vegas.

HAH, check the schedule again: the 9:35 out of Vegas on Mon. gets you to ISP by 5:40 PM on a direct flight--even better!

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

Imagine4vr

Imagine4vr wrote:hmmm This sounds awesome and it's my birthday weekend. I will let you know in a day or two? Just have to figure out finances.

Count me in for sure! I booked a cheap room at Harrahs for Sat night. I won't leave here until early Sat morning, I plan to be there by noon.

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
Imagine4vr wrote:Count me in for sure! I booked a cheap room at Harrahs for Sat night. I won't leave here until early Sat morning, I plan to be there by noon.

It must be we're not listed as attendees because we've only posted in the original thread that we're planning on attending. We're planning on flying out Friday night and back on the last flight on Sunday, so Saturday is the only day that really works, but bahwm and I are planning on it at this point.
BTW, I originally posted the bowling shirt thing because I happened to see it on deals.woot. I had no idea it would gain such traction. Must've underestimated the geek potential of this crowd. Go figure. In any event, I had no particular interest in the camel shirt; it was just there. If people are actually going bowling that weekend sometime, and want to get shirts, I can be as much of a geek as Cheron or Sparky, if necessary, and I like Sparky's choice better as well. I'd be in for 1.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

sanity

Imagine4vr wrote:Count me in for sure! I booked a cheap room at Harrahs for Sat night. I won't leave here until early Sat morning, I plan to be there by noon.

Fantastic! A port party and a birthday party!

If you'd like we can get together for dinner before, near you or closer to the winery.

sanity

ddeuddeg wrote:It must be we're not listed as attendees because we've only posted in the original thread that we're planning on attending. We're planning on flying out Friday night and back on the last flight on Sunday, so Saturday is the only day that really works, but bahwm and I are planning on it at this point.
BTW, I originally posted the bowling shirt thing because I happened to see it on deals.woot. I had no idea it would gain such traction. Must've underestimated the geek potential of this crowd. Go figure. In any event, I had no particular interest in the camel shirt; it was just there. If people are actually going bowling that weekend sometime, and want to get shirts, I can be as much of a geek as Cheron or Sparky, if necessary, and I like Sparky's choice better as well. I'd be in for 1.

My apologies! I knew you were attending; I just didn't double check my cutting and pasting too well.

Bowling would be fun; we all would like to see mewalk in action!

Imagine4vr

sanity wrote:Fantastic! A port party and a birthday party!

If you'd like we can get together for dinner before, near you or closer to the winery.

Dinner after? The party is from 1pm until 7pm.

If you're free Sun morning, Hash House A GO GO before I head back?

tenuki

sanity wrote:Fantastic! A port party and a birthday party!

Haha, I'll look into it.

CT

sanity

Imagine4vr wrote:Dinner after? The party is from 1pm until 7pm.

If you're free Sun morning, Hash House A GO GO before I head back?

I meant to type after, lol. How about dinner at Todd's?
It's about a mile from the winery. We could go a little earlier to the port party, go to dinner, then on to some more fun.

I would love to go to Hash House, but we have a motorcycle ride on Sunday morning, out to Temple Bar Marina on Lake Mead. The gang is heading out after our breakfast meeting at Omelet House, and will arrive at our destination around 11 am. Guests are welcome at the breakfast meeting, or you may also join us at Temple Bar. Which way do you drive, 93/95 or 15/40?

Tenuki, didn't you say you liked Omelet House?

Imagine4vr

sanity wrote:I meant to type after, lol. How about dinner at Todd's?
It's about a mile from the winery. We could go a little earlier to the port party, go to dinner, then on to some more fun.

I would love to go to Hash House, but we have a motorcycle ride on Sunday morning, out to Temple Bar Marina on Lake Mead. The gang is heading out after our breakfast meeting at Omelet House, and will arrive at our destination around 11 am. Guests are welcome at the breakfast meeting, or you may also join us at Temple Bar. Which way do you drive, 93/95 or 15/40?

Todd's looks wonderful, but a little on the pricey side for my budget this weekend. Someplace a little less expensive would work better for me. And yes to more fun after

I drive 93, I think it's the fastest route. Omelet House would be great -

I'm excited, this will be fun!

cjsiege

quality posts: 13 Private Messages cjsiege

Please add me into the Maybe column. I won't know for sure until much later -- probably April. Everything will depend on work schedule.

tenuki

sanity wrote:I meant to type after, lol. How about dinner at Todd's?

Not sure I've been to Omelet House. Umm, so getting in wouldn't be a problem, actually some cheap Friday night flights left, getting out though, looks sold out on both southwest and virgin. Have a chance to get out monday, but it's late night and I'd need to take monday off. Apparently a big weekend in Vegas (because of BCS or something else?) lot of flights sold out.

CT

sanity

tenuki wrote:Not sure I've been to Omelet House. Umm, so getting in wouldn't be a problem, actually some cheap Friday night flights left, getting out though, looks sold out on both southwest and virgin. Have a chance to get out monday, but it's late night and I'd need to take monday off. Apparently a big weekend in Vegas (because of BCS or something else?) lot of flights sold out.

CES is the big deal this coming weekend.

Allegiant Air flies into Monterrey and Stockton, too far maybe.

I thought I remembered you posting a while back that you visited Omelet House (Charleston and Rancho) with friends.

Hope you can find a way to make it!

sanity

Imagine4vr wrote:Todd's looks wonderful, but a little on the pricey side for my budget this weekend. Someplace a little less expensive would work better for me. And yes to more fun after

I drive 93, I think it's the fastest route. Omelet House would be great -

I'm excited, this will be fun!

So many fun places to eat dinner near the winery. I'll look for other choices.

Breakfast meeting at Omelet House starts at about 7 ish, meeting is over by 8:30 or 9:00 at the latest, then the ride to Temple Bar is 81 miles (app 56 miles from OH driving on 95/93, 25 miles off 93 to Temple Bar Marina on a paved road), then brunch/lunch (hence the unofficial chapter motto "ride to eat, eat to ride"). The breakfasts are large portions at OH, just not as big as Hash House.

sanity

cjsiege wrote:Please add me into the Maybe column. I won't know for sure until much later -- probably April. Everything will depend on work schedule.

I've added you to the maybe list. Sure hope you can make it!

mewalk707

tenuki wrote:Should I ask why you're driving? Would you want a second driver?

Too many reasons to list. Lets just say I love a road trip! Would this second driver be you? Cause doood... i've seen you drive! You could turn a 10 hour trip into 15. Would love a passenger though!

MarkDaSpark

sanity wrote:CES is the big deal this coming weekend.

Allegiant Air flies into Monterrey and Stockton, too far maybe.

I thought I remembered you posting a while back that you visited Omelet House (Charleston and Rancho) with friends.

Hope you can find a way to make it!

CES was a big disappointment last year. Doubt it will be much better this year.

Have fun!!!

mewalk707

sanity wrote:My apologies! I knew you were attending; I just didn't double check my cutting and pasting too well.

Bowling would be fun; we all would like to see mewalk in action!

Yikes!! The pressure is on! No one was more surprised by my score than me. I only have one goal when bowling... don't fall down!! Everything else is seco

mewalk707

mewalk707 wrote:Yikes!! The pressure is on! No one was more surprised by my score than me. I only have one goal when bowling... don't fall down!! Everything else is seco

Secondary. Everything else is secondary.

I know why I hate my phone, but why does my phone hate woot?

Imagine4vr

sanity wrote:So many fun places to eat dinner near the winery. I'll look for other choices.

Breakfast meeting at Omelet House starts at about 7 ish, meeting is over by 8:30 or 9:00 at the latest, then the ride to Temple Bar is 81 miles (app 56 miles from OH driving on 95/93, 25 miles off 93 to Temple Bar Marina on a paved road), then brunch/lunch (hence the unofficial chapter motto "ride to eat, eat to ride"). The breakfasts are large portions at OH, just not as big as Hash House.

7am breakfast Sunday? Maybe not!? Although maybe that wouldn't be bad, I was thinking of taking the longer route home and stopping in Sedona on the way back.

MarkDaSpark

Ok, here's the bowling shirt .....

Vegas Baby Vegas Red & Black Retro shirt starting at $29.95 (based on size).

They go up to 6x (bowtie) if anyone (bowtie) needs larger (bowtie) sizes.

Add a Hand-Chainstitched Name for only $5.95/word. Woot Name!!

Also Add a Suede Flock Embellishment! Only $2.95 (1" high)

Goes on Chest (Left or Right) or Collar (Right or Left), or Right Sleeve Point.

sanity

MarkDaSpark wrote:Ok, here's the bowling shirt .....

Add a Hand-Chainstitched Name for only $5.95/word. Woot Name!!

Also Add a Suede Flock Embellishment! Only $2.95 (1" high)

Goes on Chest (Left or Right) or Collar (Right or Left), or Right Sleeve Point.

Mine is ordered!

If you are going to order, check out the sizing page first. This is a retro shirt, look at that sizing chart. Their suggestions for choosing a size are useful. The measurements they show are of the fabric, which includes wearing ease.

sanity

So I'll be the guinea pig. I received a phone call that some sizes of the shirts are back-ordered, but will be available around end of January.