HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 28 Private Messages HitAnyKey42

So after over a year of our tastings being on hold, the NYCrew is having another. Though like a few years ago, this one is a bit east of the city. About an hour and a half east, on Long Island's North Shore.

The theme as you'll see below is Raiding HAK's Cellar. Time to drink down some of my wines. If you choose a wine from my cellar, it is simply appreciated (otherwise known as expected ) that you bring some monetary or food-like compensation for your selection. Link to my cellar is in my sig.

UPDATED AS OF 1/28/11

DATE: January 29, 2011
WHERE: HAK's Condo, Way-Da-F*ck-East, Long Island
POUR TIME: 2:30pm
ARRIVAL TIME: ~2pm
THEME: Raiding HAK's Cellar

ATTENDEES:
1. HitAnyKey
2. HAK's Mom
3&4. mandoo500 (+1)
5. HAK's friend #1
6. HAK's friend #2
7. HAK's friend #3
8&9. HAK's friend #4 (+husband)
10&11. Cesare/kttest

MAYBEE:

REGRETS:
Krugsters/Shamer (w/Twins)
PetiteSirah
kat8480
speedoo
thatguy314
HAK's co-worker (+1)

WINES chosen from da HAK's Cellar (in possible tasting order):
1994 Golan Heights Winery Yarden Cabernet Blanc by HAK's friend June
2009 Ty Caton Racchus Reserve White on behalf of friend #1
2005 Clone 5 Pinot Noir Central Coast by mandoo500
2007 Bodegas Neo Ribera del Duero El Arte de Vivir by Cesare on behalf of HAK on behalf of friend #2
2005 Morlanda Priorat Vega Escal by Cesare/Krista
2006 Twisted Oak Mourvedre River of Skulls Dalton Vineyard by HAK

2009 Grape Expectations CyberPub Cellars Publend for fun

Stuff being brought:
mandoo - some cheese
HAK friend #1 - fresh french bread & brie, maybe some fruit
Cesare/Krista - some sort of food
HAK friend #4&hubby - apples & jarlsberg cheese, walnuts, & olive tapenade
HAK's mom - baked ziti

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

canonizer

quality posts: 22 Private Messages canonizer
HitAnyKey42 wrote:Since the original planned tasting fell through due to the blizzard, I'm starting a new thread so it doesn't get cluttered by the 4 pages of the other thread.

So peeps! When do we have it and where do we have it? Those are the most important questions.

UPDATED AS OF 12/26/09

DATE: sometime in January?
WHERE: TBD
POUR TIME: TBDpm
ARRIVAL TIME: TBDpm
THEME: Boozin' It Up Cuz the Last Date was Canceled

ATTENDEES:
1. HitAnyKey

MAYBEE:

WINES:
2006 Twisted Oak Mourvedre River of Skulls Dalton Vineyard by HAK (until decided otherwise by Theme)

I would love to make a tasting, for once. I'm out of town until 1/9 but i think the following few weekends are strong for me.

Also, I just ordered a case of the Havens Napa from K&L, which I think comes to $15-16/bottle after 3 day shipping. Going to split whatever remains with my brother but please pm me if you want a bottle.

(ordered it solely based on the love-in people had)

signed.

HitAnyKey42

canonizer wrote:Also, I just ordered a case of the Havens Napa from K&L, which I think comes to $15-16/bottle after 3 day shipping. Going to split whatever remains with my brother but please pm me if you want a bottle.

You can count me out. I didn't even go in on the Cab/Merlot woot. Though I may consider some of the Bourriquot or Syrah if they pop up tonight or later in the week. If they do pop up, lemme know if anyone wants to split an order to cut cost.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

canonizer

HitAnyKey42 wrote:You can count me out. I didn't even go in on the Cab/Merlot woot. Though I may consider some of the Bourriquot or Syrah if they pop up tonight or later in the week. If they do pop up, lemme know if anyone wants to split an order to cut cost.

Trading, depending on the woot cost would be great for the bourriquot or the black and blue. I'm just not a big syrah guy, no matter how hard i try.

edit: I misread your response. The K&L buy is actually their higher end, napa label, not their sonoma/napa blend.

signed.

HitAnyKey42

Bumping this back to the top so we can get planning going again....

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

speedoo

quality posts: 41 Private Messages speedoo

Well I am in town in January but will be away most of next month. So I'd love to get to a tasting.

HitAnyKey42

Well looks like our organization and participation for getting tastings together has kinda fallen apart...

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

canonizer

HitAnyKey42 wrote:Well looks like our organization and participation for getting tastings together has kinda fallen apart...

I think Krugsters is our heart, if not the soul, of our events. I hear she has other things keeping her busy.

signed.

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
canonizer wrote:I think Krugsters is our heart, if not the soul, of our events. I hear she has other things keeping her busy.

well CLEARLY someone else needs to step up and fill in

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

canonizer

cheron98 wrote:well CLEARLY someone else needs to step up and fill in

I have no soul. I'm just a glass filled halfway up with wine.

signed.

HitAnyKey42

cheron98 wrote:well CLEARLY someone else needs to step up and fill in

I've offered my place multiple times, but it's not really a trip those in the city can (or are willing) to make easily, since I'm more than an hour from the city.
And aside from Cesare/kttest (who are in Queens actually...which is officially not part of Long Island), I have yet to see/hear of anyone on W.W who are from the island.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

AlexxxR

quality posts: 0 Private Messages AlexxxR

Hi-
I'm new to the message board but a long time woot and wine.woot aficionado. I live on the upper west side of manhattan and would love to help out planning a tasting in any way i can. Do you guys need help planning? How does this work? Do we all pitch in to buy wine?

HitAnyKey42

AlexxxR wrote:Hi-
I'm new to the message board but a long time woot and wine.woot aficionado. I live on the upper west side of manhattan and would love to help out planning a tasting in any way i can. Do you guys need help planning? How does this work? Do we all pitch in to buy wine?

We just need to get everyone else off their duff to join the discussion of when/where/what to do for the next tasting. Our normal location (at Krugsters) is no longer usable due to the new twins and remodelling to accomodate them.
If you'd actually want to host a tasting (attendance limitations simply get set based on how much space you think you have), then we just need to get the ball rolling.
As for how it all works, the typical thing is that each person brings a bottle of wine (and/or food, cheese, etc). Most times we all decide on a theme and try to bring wines that follow it.

Take a look at some of the previous NYC tastings to have an idea of what we've done in the past.

If you are willing to host, we can help take care of all the main stuff. Right now we just need a location and to pick a date to start things off.

PS. Welcome! We look forward to having you join in the fun.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

HitAnyKey42

So do we still have any NYers alive out there? I'm not going through my wine fast enough without any tastings to bring it to.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

Cesare

quality posts: 1472 Private Messages Cesare
HitAnyKey42 wrote:So do we still have any NYers alive out there? I'm not going through my wine fast enough without any tastings to bring it to.

So have a tasting at your place and nobody bring wines, open only yours. Problem solved :P

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

Krugsters

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Krugsters
Cesare wrote:So have a tasting at your place and nobody bring wines, open only yours. Problem solved :P

me likey.

kat8480

quality posts: 9 Private Messages kat8480
HitAnyKey42 wrote:I've offered my place multiple times, but it's not really a trip those in the city can (or are willing) to make easily, since I'm more than an hour from the city.
And aside from Cesare/kttest (who are in Queens actually...which is officially not part of Long Island), I have yet to see/hear of anyone on W.W who are from the island.

On the Island and have been wooting for about a year. Keep me posted and I would love to do a wine tasting!

Krugsters

kat8480 wrote:On the Island and have been wooting for about a year. Keep me posted and I would love to do a wine tasting!

See, there ya go HAK. How about a june or July BBQ tasting at your place?

iByron

quality posts: 40 Private Messages iByron

Just say when and I'll make the effort to come up.

Things have been hectic down here in Philly (and of course we had that brutal February...stopping travel and all), but I surely want to make time to get up that way.

iByron

iByron's iCellar (I'm a reciprocal CT Cellar Buddy)

Your Private WIneaux

HitAnyKey42

kat8480 wrote:On the Island and have been wooting for about a year. Keep me posted and I would love to do a wine tasting!

Great to finally find another WineWooter out on Long Island! Where abouts are you? (you can always PM me if you don't want to post it)
I will definitely host a tasting at my place sometime in the not-to-distant future (I'm in Middle Island). Probably sometime June'ish like some have suggested. I'm still hoping for someone else to be able to host something before then, but these weeks and months are slipping by pretty fast.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

HitAnyKey42

So I'm gonna make it official. I'm offering to host again in June. Either the 19th or 26th, as I'm down at the Jersey Shore the weekend of the 12th. And I might be able to do the 5th if that's best for more people.
Just as a reminder....I'm a good 60-90 mins from the city, and the only public transportation is the LIRR which gets you to a train station about 15-20 minute drive from my condo.
I'll keep this one labeled as Tasting #14, until/unless someone else volunteers to host a tasting prior to June.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

Krugsters

HitAnyKey42 wrote:So I'm gonna make it official. I'm offering to host again in June. Either the 19th or 26th, as I'm down at the Jersey Shore the weekend of the 12th. And I might be able to do the 5th if that's best for more people.
Just as a reminder....I'm a good 60-90 mins from the city, and the only public transportation is the LIRR which gets you to a train station about 15-20 minute drive from my condo.
I'll keep this one labeled as Tasting #14, until/unless someone else volunteers to host a tasting prior to June.

We, with the girls, cannot plan that far in advance. I think either weekend should be fine tho but the 26th is better. I think.
We have room in the van for 3 others if anyone wants to hitch a ride.

PetiteSirah

quality posts: 76 Private Messages PetiteSirah

New Yorkers -- LivingSocial (which is like groupon) has $100 at Premier Cru Wine Merchants for $50.

Click here to purchase.

Hail the victor, the king without flaw
Salute your new master ... Petite Sirah!

"Who has two thumbs and loves Petite Sirah?" ThisGuy!

HitAnyKey42

HitAnyKey42 wrote:So I'm gonna make it official. I'm offering to host again in June. Either the 19th or 26th, as I'm down at the Jersey Shore the weekend of the 12th. And I might be able to do the 5th if that's best for more people.

Just to officially get it onto the CJ's calendar, I'm going set the date for this thing at my place to be for the 26th of June. If we change it to the 19th (or some other date, we'll update).
And if someone else is willing to host a tasting before then, we'll make that one #14 and this one will become #15.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

cjsiege

quality posts: 13 Private Messages cjsiege
HitAnyKey42 wrote:Just to officially get it onto the CJ's calendar, I'm going set the date for this thing at my place to be for the 26th of June. If we change it to the 19th (or some other date, we'll update).
And if someone else is willing to host a tasting before then, we'll make that one #14 and this one will become #15.

Gotcha covered.

Krugsters

Is this thing still on?

darlenee1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages darlenee1

Wish I could come! Seeing OVO that evening in Hartford.

Ran out of room for the wines, and can't think of a good quote for now

HitAnyKey42

Krugsters wrote:Is this thing still on?

Yes. Even if I have to chat it up with a handful of my non-wooter friends and invite them. One of my coworkers is already interested.
I was also thinking that a good "theme" could be "Raiding HAK's Cellar". Anyone that doesn't have anything from their own cellar they really desire to bring, searches my list and chooses something. I would of course reserve the authority to veto the choice.
And those choosing wines from my cellar make their contributions of either food, money, or help cooking/preparing/etc. Or a combination of the three. After all, food shopping is one of those things I really don't like, and I'm still not particuarly good at cooking.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

kttest

quality posts: 2 Private Messages kttest

I'm not sure C & I are available this day, but put us down as maybes.

- Krista
"Wine is the most civilized thing in the world." -Ernest Hemingway.
NYC Tastings Summary courtesy of HAK

speedoo

quality posts: 41 Private Messages speedoo
kttest wrote:I'm not sure C & I are available this day, but put us down as maybes.

I should be able to make it as well, so put me down as a maybe/probable.

Will it be an afternoon thing? To leave us NYCers time to return safely to THE CITY?

Or I guess we could visit wineries as well to make it a weekend thing? Any wine out that way worth tasting, or should I head north to the Finger Lakes for some nice riesling?

Krugsters

My choice for raiding HAK's cellar:
http://www.cellartracker.com/wine.asp?iWine=628527

Back up:
http://www.cellartracker.com/wine.asp?iWine=628124

thatguy314

quality posts: 7 Private Messages thatguy314

I should be able to make it if work doesn't kill me this week. Can't speak for thatgirl yet.

I can bring from my cellar (fairly red-heavy) or from the HAK cellar. Whatever's preferred.

My CT is not really up to date. That's something I need to work on over the next couple weeks.

HitAnyKey42

thatguy314 wrote:I should be able to make it if work doesn't kill me this week. Can't speak for thatgirl yet.

I can bring from my cellar (fairly red-heavy) or from the HAK cellar. Whatever's preferred.

You can do either. The HAKs Cellar thing came about from everyone telling me I have just a few too many wines.
If you do from my cellar, I'll just appreciate (otherwise known as expect ) compensation in the form of cash and/or food-stuffs.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

HitAnyKey42

Krugsters wrote:My choice for raiding HAK's cellar:
2004 La Rasina Brunello di Montalcino

Back up:
2005 Ottimino Zinfandel Little 8 Von Weidlich

Does this mean that you are a near-definite in being able to attend? I'm sure my mom would love to meet the twins as I'm assuming they'd be coming along, so that would work out too.
And I got two bottles of cognac of unknown age & quality to hand over to shamer.

As for your choices above, two pretty good ones. I've heard great things about the Rasina, so I'm cool with opening that up a little "early". Especially since I have 2 of them.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

HitAnyKey42

So now it's time to move onto the specifics since the date is coming up fast.
Time. I think the same 1pm start that we had for the last one at my place should still be the best. Allows for people to travel out during the morning, spend the afternoon and into the early evening, and then be able to get back home before it gets too late.
Anyone that would not be driving out, and would need to take the train, post such asap. Either myself (or my dear ole mommy) can pick you up, as it's about a 15min ride from my place. Or someone else that is driving out may be able to pick you up on the way (since essentially everyone will pass by the Ronkonkoma train station on the way out).

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

thatguy314

quality posts: 7 Private Messages thatguy314
HitAnyKey42 wrote:I'll just appreciate (otherwise known as expect ) compensation in the form of cash and/or food-stuffs.

Phew. I thought compensation was going to be in the form of sexual favors.

HitAnyKey42

Let me know if starting a bit later than 1pm is not good for anyone. I know last time we started around 1pm so that those traveling from the city areas could get home at a decent time. But I have at least one friend (the same one some of you met at the last tasting at my place) that would be able to attend if we started a bit later. She would still end up being a little late, but the later we start the less late she is.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

HitAnyKey42

Bumpety-bump, to get feedback on my above question & confirmations & all that jazz from folx.

speedoo, you were origally a maybe...are you going to be able to make it?

loweeel, is your +1 going to be able to come out with you?

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

HitAnyKey42

Ok, I'm officially changing the start time to 2:30pm. Though if everyone gets there earlier (and if my friend can maybe get out of work before 4) then we'll start earlier.
But still feel free to show up as early as you want to....as long as it's after noon.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

HitAnyKey42

Well this is now being officially postponed until who-knows-when.
Too many people can't make it, or haven't responded, etc, etc. So now looks like this will have to happen some other week, or not at all this summer (due to such busy schedules).

As of now, my only available weekends are still pretty crappy ones, but I'll make one of them work if enough people are up for it.

The options are:
7/10 - which is between my 4th of July weekend in Cleveland, OH and my heading out to San Diego before the rpm tour
7/24 - day after return from rpm tour, week before CT Clambake
8/7 - week after Clambake
8/14 - week before Sip-n-Sail
8/28 - week after Sip-n-Sail, and before my having 2 more weekends in a row away.

So yup, busy summer. So every post which options you would prefer or would be able to make it to, or anything like that.
If we can't plan an official Woot tasting, I'll probably try to pick one of the weekends to just host a party of sorts, since a few of my friends are still hounding me that I haven't had a party for them to come out and see the place. And of course you guys would be invited, and we can do some sort of wine thing along with it (or just drink wine ).

My Cellar
NYC Tastings