quality posts: 2 Private Messages cellochick

Dallas #6--The Russians Are Coming!

January 9th at 7pm
2515 E Rosemeade Pkwy, Ste 401
Carrollton, TX 75011
(214) 483-5050
russianbanyaofdallas.com

Please RSVP by January 6th.

Be aware when you are driving to the restaurant that the front is facing Marsh Lane (it is on the NW corner of Marsh and Rosemeade).

Attending:
1. Cellochick + 4: 2004 Maloy O'Neill Infante, Boyden Dessert Wine, and Ghost Pepper Vodka (for those who are brave enough to try it!). My friend from Russia will be bringing: Kagor (Russian church dessert wine) and Alazan Valley (Georgian semi-sweet)
2. Zmanonice + 1: Donati Cab Sauv 2006
3. MicroMolChris + 1: Lange Twins Merlot 2006
4. pinkzest + 1: 2006 Pedroncelli Petite Sirah
5. justplainjulie: 2003 Wellington Syrah "Cuvee R"
6. Ublink + 1: Napa Brut Prestige

14 attending as of 1/8/2010.

zmanonice

quality posts: 21 Private Messages zmanonice

Please RSVP by January 6th.

Zman plus SWMBO will be attending. Have to do a little research on what type of wine to bring. Aside from borscht, not very familiar with russian "cuisine".

Z

eastercat

quality posts: 4 Private Messages eastercat

It bites that I have to work that night. Definitely would've been interesting to find out what works with russian food.

if u cn rd ths u cn gt a gd jb, bt if u rt lk ths u r a mrn.

eastercat

quality posts: 4 Private Messages eastercat

double post

if u cn rd ths u cn gt a gd jb, bt if u rt lk ths u r a mrn.

cellochick

Happy New Year Dallas Wine Wooters! Here's to another year of drinking fine wine with good friends!

MolMicroChris

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MolMicroChris

H and I will be there. Not yet decided on what to bring to drink...

pinkzest

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pinkzest

I think Scott and I can go. We're interested in checking out this Russian restaurant. Not sure yet what we're bringing. I will update soon.

cellochick

I'm new at pairing wine with Russian cuisine. From the research I've done, it seems that the following types of wines would work well: rose, bordeaux, syrah, zinfandel, and hermitage. Apparently, big and robust reds work well with this type of food (with the exception of the rose). I will NOT be bringing a pinot noir to this dinner!

Remember, if you want to bring something other than wine that is OK too. We've had folks bring beer before, and I'll be bringing a vodka concoction for those who dare to try it.

cellochick

Reservations are made, so we are good to go for Saturday! Please be sure to post your wine so I can make a tasting sheet.

zmanonice

After looking at the menu, I was going to bring a pinot to match with the lamb items. But you guys scared me off. So I am going to bring a magnum of the Donati Cab Sauv 2006. Just the right setting for this size.

Has anybody heard from the San Angelo gang lately? They seem to have dropped off the forums and I have wine I am holding for them.

Z

UBlink

quality posts: 19 Private Messages UBlink

Think you can fit in 2 more? The Blinks have had a lot going on but looks like we might be able to make Saturday night.

On our trip to Russia we drank lots of sparkling - I'm sure we could bring some for this occasion.

Following the eight word profile, political economy in eight words:
Ain't no free lunch - them what has gets.

cellochick

UBlink wrote:Think you can fit in 2 more? The Blinks have had a lot going on but looks like we might be able to make Saturday night.

On our trip to Russia we drank lots of sparkling - I'm sure we could bring some for this occasion.

Awesome! I'm glad you can come to this one! I'll update our reservations!

cellochick

Please don't forget to post your wines so that I can create a tasting sheet for this event! Thanks everyone!

UBlink

quality posts: 19 Private Messages UBlink

Blinks are bringing a magnum of Mumm Napa Brut Prestige (NV). I know the Russians love their bubbly and this seems like a great time to share. Look forward to seeing everyone.

Edit: What do we know about stemware at this place? I can bring flutes for the bubbly if needed.

Following the eight word profile, political economy in eight words:
Ain't no free lunch - them what has gets.

cellochick

UBlink wrote:Blinks are bringing a magnum of Mumm Napa Brut Prestige (NV). I know the Russians love their bubbly and this seems like a great time to share. Look forward to seeing everyone.

Edit: What do we know about stemware at this place? I can bring flutes for the bubbly if needed.

I know they have wine glasses, but probably not flutes.

justplainjulie

quality posts: 5 Private Messages justplainjulie

I'm bringing 2003 Wellington Syrah "Cuvee R"

BrainDivn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages BrainDivn

The "Broley's' are not sure what to pair with Russian Food... but a quick look over our bookshelf cellar had us pull Lange Twins Merlot 2006 to study. Sorry CheloChick no rosé in our library.

pinkzest

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pinkzest

We're bringing a 2006 Pedroncelli Petite Sirah for sure. Not sure what else.

zmanonice

DFW #6: The Russians are Coming!

Thanks again to Cellochick for organizing our dinner, which was delicious.

Here are my notes on what I tasted, not necessarily in any order. As previously noted, my caveat is that I'm not good with floral notes and mid-palate finishes, so what you see here are basic notes combined with research on the winery websites. I will also let you know that I am a big red fan and don’t find a lot of whites pleasing unless they are crisp and dry. Obviously, YMMV (your mileage may vary).

Roger Sabon Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée Réservée, 2003 – Could not find a web site for this winery which is odd given the number of wines they produce. Lighter shade of purple, almost clear to the bottom of the glass. Distinctive nose but can’t quite place the notes. Can really taste the Grenache in this Rhone blend. Web notes also indicate Syrah, but not sure if there are any other varieties included. Medium tannins with a decent finish. Really liked this wine, would like to taste it again in five years.

Malloy O’Neill Infante, 2004 – A blend of 54% Zinfandel, 22% Sangiovese, 22% Petite Sirah, and 2% Syrah, from Paso Robles. 15.2% alcohol and only 210 cases produced. Purple color, opaque. Can’t pick up much on the nose. Not as hot as expected from the specs. The Sangiovese definitely dominates the flavor. Medium finish with some tannins. Decent wine.

Boyden Vermont Ice Red – this wine is made from the Frontenac grape and lists at 15% residual sugar. Purple in color, tart and sweet taste at the same time, almost syrupy. Decent wine for dessert, but a little too sweet for my taste.

Kagor Dionysos Mereni Late Harvest Cabernet Sauvignon, Moldova, Dessert Wine, 500ml – 16% residual sugar. Very sweet nose, syrupy taste. Can’t believe this was a cab sauv wine. From Russia which made it tough to find specs. Found the web site, but couldn’t find this wine.

Alazanis Valley Semi-Sweet Red, 2007 – Estate bottled in Kakheti, Georgia. 11.5% alcohol. Made from Saperavi grapes. On the nose, sweet with berry notes and a hint of honey. Sweet taste with no tannins to speak of with a very short finish.

Donati Cabernet Sauvignon, Estate Vineyard, 2006 – Solid purple in color, opaque. Berries on the nose. Typical cab flavor with medium tannins and a nice long finish. Liked this wine.

LangeTwins Merlot, 2006 (not to be confused with Lange Winery) – Purple in color, clear at the edge. Light hint of berries on the nose. Had a light taste with some tannins on the follow through. Average wine, would make for an everyday house wine.

Pedroncelli Petite Sirah Dry Creek Valley Family Vineyards, 2006 – Nice, dark purple in color, opaque. Couldn’t pick up much on the nose, maybe a little tar. Strong tannins, nice bite to the wine, with a long finish. This is a wine made to age.

Wellington Cuveé R Syrah, 2003 – Blend of wine from Wellington Estate Vineyard (old and young vines), Shumahi Ranch, and Demko Vineyard. The composition is 97% Syrah and a splash of Viognier. Nice purple color, opaque. A “dry” smell and did not pick up any berries as expected. This was a “mouth grabber” with medium to strong tannins. A little spice with a smooth finish. Liked this wine.

Mumm Napa Brut Prestige – A nice dry bubbly, and easy to drink.

Z

The lineup from tonight:

Here's the link to pics of all the dinners: DFW Woot Dinners

cellochick

Excellent notes and pics Zach! Thank you so much!

I really enjoyed this dinner! It was so much fun to see what wines paired with Russian cuisine!

Looking forward to the next one!

langetwins

quality posts: 0 Private Messages langetwins

Looks like a killer wine dinner! Our new vintage (2007) Cab is out - hope you can try it sometime. Cheers!

Joe.

zmanonice wrote:DFW #6: The Russians are Coming!

Thanks again to Cellochick for organizing our dinner, which was delicious.

Here are my notes on what I tasted, not necessarily in any order. As previously noted, my caveat is that I'm not good with floral notes and mid-palate finishes, so what you see here are basic notes combined with research on the winery websites. I will also let you know that I am a big red fan and don’t find a lot of whites pleasing unless they are crisp and dry. Obviously, YMMV (your mileage may vary).

Roger Sabon Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée Réservée, 2003 – Could not find a web site for this winery which is odd given the number of wines they produce. Lighter shade of purple, almost clear to the bottom of the glass. Distinctive nose but can’t quite place the notes. Can really taste the Grenache in this Rhone blend. Web notes also indicate Syrah, but not sure if there are any other varieties included. Medium tannins with a decent finish. Really liked this wine, would like to taste it again in five years.

Malloy O’Neill Infante, 2004 – A blend of 54% Zinfandel, 22% Sangiovese, 22% Petite Sirah, and 2% Syrah, from Paso Robles. 15.2% alcohol and only 210 cases produced. Purple color, opaque. Can’t pick up much on the nose. Not as hot as expected from the specs. The Sangiovese definitely dominates the flavor. Medium finish with some tannins. Decent wine.

Boyden Vermont Ice Red – this wine is made from the Frontenac grape and lists at 15% residual sugar. Purple in color, tart and sweet taste at the same time, almost syrupy. Decent wine for dessert, but a little too sweet for my taste.

Kagor Dionysos Mereni Late Harvest Cabernet Sauvignon, Moldova, Dessert Wine, 500ml – 16% residual sugar. Very sweet nose, syrupy taste. Can’t believe this was a cab sauv wine. From Russia which made it tough to find specs. Found the web site, but couldn’t find this wine.

Alazanis Valley Semi-Sweet Red, 2007 – Estate bottled in Kakheti, Georgia. 11.5% alcohol. Made from Saperavi grapes. On the nose, sweet with berry notes and a hint of honey. Sweet taste with no tannins to speak of with a very short finish.

Donati Cabernet Sauvignon, Estate Vineyard, 2006 – Solid purple in color, opaque. Berries on the nose. Typical cab flavor with medium tannins and a nice long finish. Liked this wine.

LangeTwins Merlot, 2006 (not to be confused with Lange Winery) – Purple in color, clear at the edge. Light hint of berries on the nose. Had a light taste with some tannins on the follow through. Average wine, would make for an everyday house wine.

Pedroncelli Petite Sirah Dry Creek Valley Family Vineyards, 2006 – Nice, dark purple in color, opaque. Couldn’t pick up much on the nose, maybe a little tar. Strong tannins, nice bite to the wine, with a long finish. This is a wine made to age.

Wellington Cuveé R Syrah, 2003 – Blend of wine from Wellington Estate Vineyard (old and young vines), Shumahi Ranch, and Demko Vineyard. The composition is 97% Syrah and a splash of Viognier. Nice purple color, opaque. A “dry” smell and did not pick up any berries as expected. This was a “mouth grabber” with medium to strong tannins. A little spice with a smooth finish. Liked this wine.

Mumm Napa Brut Prestige – A nice dry bubbly, and easy to drink.

Z

The lineup from tonight:

Here's the link to pics of all the dinners: DFW Woot Dinners