InShadows

quality posts: 1 Private Messages InShadows

Time to begin a new year with some old friends. An intermediate gathering between our formal big gatherings. All are welcome. Theme needs to be discussed but host and time has been arranged already. Discuss your new year's resolutions and break them with us.

Let us know here if you'll attend and what you'll be bringing.

Details:
Date: Saturday, January 16, 2010 - "New Year's Resolution"
Time: 5pm?
Theme: TBD
Host: InShadows (PM for directions) - Woodbridge, VA (Metro DC but not Metro accessible)

Attending:
• InShadows (host)
• cjsiege
• InShadows +1
• InShadows +1
• InShadows +1
• InShadows +1

Maybe:
• InShadows + 1
• InShadows + 1

Regrets:
• hershelk
• spdrcr05
• spdrcr05 + 1
• nabrunk
• Alaska1

Wines:
Ghost Pines Chardonnay - InShadows
2004 Madison Cellars Merlot and a 2004 Madison Cellars Syrah - cjsiege

Food:
- Appetizer

- Side Dish

- Entree
• Rib Eye Steak Sandwiches - cjsiege

- Dessert
• Brownies - InShadows

CT
“Every time you think something or someone is stupid, it just means there is another thing in this world you don’t understand.” - In memory of Robert, 1975-2009
If you make a man a fire, he'll be warm for a night. If you set him on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Past NoVA Gatherings

cjsiege

quality posts: 13 Private Messages cjsiege

Thank you for hosting, InShadows! I'm up for cooking. I'll bring Chevre Pinwheels. I can also do "large cooking" if anyone wants to make this a meal occasion instead of just munchies.

Alaska1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Alaska1

Put me in for Possible. I will try my best. I am going to make it one of these times!

Little Vineyards Sonoma Valley Trio, Chateau Souverain Zinfandel Single-Vineyard Sampler Trio,Armida Winery Poizin Trio,Chase Family,Pack Cellars - Two Pack, Wellington Zinfandel Vertical Four Pack, InZinarator 4 pack, Peter Wellington 2006 Victory Reserve - 2 Pack, Saxon Brown 2008 Sonoma Valley Zinfandel - 3 Pack, Woodenhead Vintners 2006 Martinelli Road Old Vine RRV Zinfandel - 2 Pack

spdrcr05

quality posts: 30 Private Messages spdrcr05

I'm in... potentially +1

In periods of profound change, the most dangerous thing is to incrementalize yourself into the future -- Thomas Edision

cjsiege

Do we want to do "real food" and maybe start a little earlier? Between myself and Shadow, we've got some decent cooks in the house. (Alaska, this will NOT be a "bus driver's holiday" for you!)

hershelk

quality posts: 6 Private Messages hershelk
cjsiege wrote:Do we want to do "real food" and maybe start a little earlier? Between myself and Shadow, we've got some decent cooks in the house.

I'm in for a real meal and I'm no slouch in the kitchen when I put my mind to it. We can each take a course.

CT

InShadows

hershelk wrote:I'm in for a real meal and I'm no slouch in the kitchen when I put my mind to it. We can each take a course.

okay real meal it is then.. how does 5pm sound then? people can always come earlier if they need/want to.

also will we be doing secret santa or dirty santa? should we put a limit maybe like $20 on the gift and should that be $20 MSRP or what we paid for the gift since some of us are uber-shoppers?

okay enough questions for now.

CT
“Every time you think something or someone is stupid, it just means there is another thing in this world you don’t understand.” - In memory of Robert, 1975-2009
If you make a man a fire, he'll be warm for a night. If you set him on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Past NoVA Gatherings

Alaska1

cjsiege wrote:Do we want to do "real food" and maybe start a little earlier? Between myself and Shadow, we've got some decent cooks in the house. (Alaska, this will NOT be a "bus driver's holiday" for you!)

I'm not sure what that means? Please help.

Little Vineyards Sonoma Valley Trio, Chateau Souverain Zinfandel Single-Vineyard Sampler Trio,Armida Winery Poizin Trio,Chase Family,Pack Cellars - Two Pack, Wellington Zinfandel Vertical Four Pack, InZinarator 4 pack, Peter Wellington 2006 Victory Reserve - 2 Pack, Saxon Brown 2008 Sonoma Valley Zinfandel - 3 Pack, Woodenhead Vintners 2006 Martinelli Road Old Vine RRV Zinfandel - 2 Pack

cjsiege

Alaska1 wrote:I'm not sure what that means? Please help.

A busman's holiday (or bus driver's holiday) is "A holiday in which you spend most of your time doing the same or something very similar to your normal work. Comes from the late 1800's, where a man who drives a bus for a living goes on a long bus journey on their holiday."

Alaska1

Well I love to cook so if you guys think of something let me know. If not I will just bring so darn good wine. Well I think some cheese too. I love some good cheese!

hershelk

quality posts: 6 Private Messages hershelk

Sorry guys, I am going to have to send my regrets. I have an almost forgotten previous engagement for the 9th. Eat and drink well and happy holidays.

CT

cjsiege

*bump*

InShadows

CT
Past NoVA Gatherings

cjsiege

So, which course am I taking?

InShadows

cjsiege wrote:So, which course am I taking?

whichever... I think even if we have all of them desserts we still win!

CT
Past NoVA Gatherings

cjsiege

How do folks feel about chicken cacciatore? Or would you prefer something like this?

spdrcr05

If it arrives in time I'm bringing Scott Harvey Forte

I'll bring food too... depends on how busy work is this week before I know what.

In periods of profound change, the most dangerous thing is to incrementalize yourself into the future -- Thomas Edision

InShadows

cjsiege wrote:How do folks feel about chicken cacciatore? Or would you prefer something like this?

mmmmm steak.. but bring whichever.

CT
Past NoVA Gatherings

cjsiege

InShadows wrote:mmmm steak.. but bring whichever.

If you provide the grilling mechanism, I'll provide steak. I'll even throw in a nice little spring mix salad to accompany.

InShadows

cjsiege wrote:If you provide the grilling mechanism, I'll provide steak. I'll even throw in a nice little spring mix salad to accompany.

Let's see - 2 George Foreman grills, 1 Weber Baby Q, and 1 Char-Broil Professional Grill. Yeah, I think I got ya covered on grilling mechanisms.

CT
Past NoVA Gatherings

cjsiege

I'll bring a 2004 Madison Cellars Merlot and a 2004 Madison Cellars Syrah with me. Those should go well with the sandwiches. And I think IS can come up with a PG or two for anyone who prefers a white instead.

InShadows

CT
Past NoVA Gatherings

cjsiege

*bump*

Hey folks, please confirm if you will be here! I need to know how much steak to bring!

InShadows

CT
Past NoVA Gatherings

cjsiege

Love your use of The Highlander! "There can be only ONE!"

InShadows

CT
Past NoVA Gatherings

spdrcr05

So despite getting both flu shots... I have the flu, fortunately not the H1N1.

Spent all morning in the ER hooked to an IV as I was unable to keep even fluids down last night. I'm now on Tamiflu but in no condition to go out... not that you'd want me around anyway.

Dang it... I miss you guys!

InShadows

spdrcr05 wrote:So despite getting both flu shots... I have the flu, fortunately not the H1N1.

Spent all morning in the ER hooked to an IV as I was unable to keep even fluids down last night. I'm now on Tamiflu but in no condition to go out... not that you'd want me around anyway.

Sorry to hear that! We're going to miss you too. Plus I think I have some wine for you and your baker's rack too. We'll keep a light on for you but we understand under the circumstances. Get better quickly!

CT
Past NoVA Gatherings

bahwm

quality posts: 24 Private Messages bahwm
spdrcr05 wrote:So despite getting both flu shots... I have the flu, fortunately not the H1N1.

Sorry to hear about your flu. Get better soon!

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

bahwm

quality posts: 24 Private Messages bahwm

Have fun! Be safe! We'll be thinking of you during our dinner and wine pairing here!

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

cjsiege

Ok, just in case no one figured this out.... We've rescheduled for NEXT Saturday - 16 January. InShadows has been working all weekend. SpdRcr is sickly, but [hopefully] on the mend. Fingers crossed that we can get this all put back together!

cjsiege

**crickets**

BUMP!

nabrunk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nabrunk

Sadly, I cannot attend - I will be in California attending to family business (at least it will be warm! Though I might have to shake anyone who complains that 60 degrees is cold. It's colder than that INSIDE my house!).

My schedule has become unbelievably hectic, but I would love to host a woot when I get my head screwed on properly. That may be a while, though.

"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars." ~ Oscar Wilde

Alaska1

Sorry guys I'm out again. :-( I Promise this will happen sometime. I feel that I am missing out on the fun. I will look forward to the next Date. Sorry again.
Chris

cjsiege

*snif*

No nabrunk. No Alaska1.

*snif*

Can you all come on 2/20? We've got that thread (#16) up and running.

Alaska1

I will check that date out at work today! I will try my hardest to make it to 2/20/2010!
Thanks.

cjsiege

*bump*

So, who's coming tomorrow night?

cjsiege

Well, the NoVA/DC regulars really missed a great evening! And an honest-to-goodness, sit-down dinner. With lots of wine!

InShadows - thank you for hosting, and for a wonderful dessert! I really hope that all of the guests will become regulars!

WF & WD: Thank you for pistachios and doorprizes! You treat us all so well!!!

tripgrad

quality posts: 3 Private Messages tripgrad
cjsiege wrote:Well, the NoVA/DC regulars really missed a great evening! And an honest-to-goodness, sit-down dinner. With lots of wine!

InShadows - thank you for hosting, and for a wonderful dessert! I really hope that all of the guests will become regulars!

WF & WD: Thank you for pistachios and doorprizes! You treat us all so well!!!

Sorry that I couldn't attend, but I'm back on my feet & looking forward to next month's event.

R.I.P.
WINE.W00T NOV 4, 2012