$34.99 + $5 shipping
Condition: 750ml New Oil
Product: 1 Olivestri Siloro olio nuovo

Product Website
Info on Olivestri

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

sgoman5674

quality posts: 41 Private Messages sgoman5674

Is this Kosher?

cihad

quality posts: 6 Private Messages cihad

Will this go well with the balsamic that was sold on Thursday?

• Woots: 94
  • Shirt Woots: 15
  • Sellout Woots: 18
  • Wine Woots: 16
  • Kids Woots: 9
  • Random Bags of koi: 12

arcsus

quality posts: 4 Private Messages arcsus

"Air freighted from Italy" then "Shipped Smart Post". For some reason this made me laugh.

melrod333

quality posts: 3 Private Messages melrod333

Can anyone say if storage of this oil would be different from any other decent olive oil?
Similarly, what is shelf life if stored properly?

AlexJS

quality posts: 3 Private Messages AlexJS

compared to what that website charges, this isn't a bad deal. One bottle would cost me $51 shipped to VA

Time to first Bindle of Carrots: 6 years, 4 months, and 26 days

dennbruce

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dennbruce
cihad wrote:Will this go well with the balsamic that was sold on Thursday?

IMHO, yes! For what it's worth both are imported by Casa de Case. I've had the balsamic and I can't wait to try the olive oil. Here's a video that's got my mouth watering: http://www.casesf.com/CasaDeCase/Making%20Olive%20Oil.htm

12/20/2004 - Z-Cyber 128MB MP3 Player with FM Radio
4/19/2005 - Microsoft Bluetooth Optical Desktop Elite
9/5/2005 - Mystery Brand 6 Piece 100 watt Speaker Set
1/30/2006 - Creative Labs USB Bluetooth Adaptor
1/31/2007 - Random Crap
4/27/2007 - Screaming Monkey with Black Woot Cape

egzgg

quality posts: 15 Private Messages egzgg
AlexJS wrote:compared to what that website charges, this isn't a bad deal. One bottle would cost me $51 shipped to VA

Truee, but I still wanna know what's so special about this olive oil.

Anyone try it yet?

shrdlu

quality posts: 4 Private Messages shrdlu
cihad wrote:Will this go well with the balsamic that was sold on Thursday?

It is at LEAST as good as the Balsamic (depending on how well you liked it), and probably better. I bought three. I'm considering creating another account, just to buy three more.

This is lovely tasty stuff.

I'm also happy (yes, not kidding) that it ships with smartpost. It's WINTER. Sometimes I travel. This means that it goes to my nice, warm, PO Box, and I don't have to worry about being home to protect it from the elements.

It takes months to find a customer, but only seconds to lose one.
The good news is that we should run out of them in no time.

http://demotivators.despair.com/demotivational/disservicedemotivator.jpg

pfcouvar

quality posts: 4 Private Messages pfcouvar

Since the selling point for this oil seems to be its unusual and fleeting freshness, does it need to be consumed quickly to justify the price? I'm not so concerned with it "going bad", since I'll surely finish it in the next 6 months, but if it's going to turn into the equivalent of an $18/bottle of olive oil after a few weeks, I'll probably pass.

AlexJS

dennbruce wrote:IMHO, yes! For what it's worth both are imported by Casa de Case. I've had the balsamic and I can't wait to try the olive oil. Here's a video that's got my mouth watering: http://www.casesf.com/CasaDeCase/Making%20Olive%20Oil.htm

and FWIW, Casa di Case pairs this very olio with Thursday's balsamic offering. Methinks they're on to something...

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22

And here is a link to a thread started a month or so back. Looks like a very desirable olive oil.

Wine.woot thread on olio nuovo

Andy - have you tasted yet?

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

turbizzi

quality posts: 5 Private Messages turbizzi

I scored a bottle as kind of a labrat bonus. The olive oil was so good it completely outshined the bottle of Adequate Gift my friends and I were sampling.

This stuff is a bright neon green, and my wife described it best when she said "It's so olivey!"

Indeed, you get much more green-olive flavor than any oil I'd ever had. Resist the urge to crack pepper into it - no seasoning necessary. Every once in a while, a delightfully gnarly little hint of black pepper will stick in the back of your throat. Complicated flavors at work here.

We made short work of a loaf of French bread from the local Safeway, and I couldn't help think this oil deserved something fancier. I can't wait to try the bruschetta recipe on the bottle.

One thing to note is the shelf life is shorter than traditional olive oil. I just take that as a good excuse to eat more.

This bottle of olive oil has showstopper potential at your holiday party, and it's too good to give away as a gift. Seriously, I'm not sharing any more.

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42

Personally I'm not too excited about the savings on this deal. It's $38 from them, and $34.99 from woot. Yes, there's an extra $8.83 savings in shipping making it a total of almost $12....but still.

I've never bought "high quality" oil before, and before I consider buying one as either a gift or for myself....what is this best used for and how does it compare to regular oils?
Is this worth it and why?

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

AlexJS

melrod333 wrote:Can anyone say if storage of this oil would be different from any other decent olive oil?

a few words on how long this will keep

the short answer: not as long as unfiltered

scyld

quality posts: 7 Private Messages scyld

I've always found it interesting how consuming olive oil by dipping bread into it has become normal in the US. Italians never do this, at least not the ones in the regions I've been to.

That's not to say I don't enjoy consuming olive oil in this way myself.

solidary121

quality posts: 7 Private Messages solidary121

Last wooter to woot: solidary121

Ah, well, this should go extremely well with my two bottles of Balsamic that will be coming soon. Their website shows that the shelf-life for a 5-liter tin is under a full year - any ideas on a 750mL bottle?

turbizzi

quality posts: 5 Private Messages turbizzi
melrod333 wrote:Can anyone say if storage of this oil would be different from any other decent olive oil?

The expiration date on my labrat bottle says December 2011. I'm sure I'll finish mine in a fraction of that time - it's so good I'll go out of my way to use it.

I didn't see any special storage instructions.

evrything4fun

quality posts: 0 Private Messages evrything4fun
AlexJS wrote:a few words on how long this will keep

I'm still really confused as to how long it will last in its "good" stage. Could we at least get a window, like how long it could last under ideal conditions...?

Actively searching for a wine.wooter annonymous meeting

melrod333

quality posts: 3 Private Messages melrod333
AlexJS wrote:a few words on how long this will keep

Thanks, not terribly exact, but at least points me to use it sooner rather than later.

In for 3. One for a definite gift, the others for me, or maybe an additional gift.

AlexJS

Last Wooter To Woot: AlexJS

I'd like to call this meeting of WWA (wine.woot Anonymous) to order.

ahaley

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ahaley

I have tasted this olive oil. It is STUNNING. This is not cooking oil. This is for eating, do not use this for sauting, etc. youare wasting it. Dip bread, make salad dressings, or pour on vegatables, pasta. Also makes great Pesto too.

In a cool, dark place it will keep well.

Allen T Haley

AlexJS

melrod333 wrote:Thanks, not terribly exact, but at least points me to use it sooner rather than later.

In for 3. One for a definite gift, the others for me, or maybe an additional gift.

Yeah, like a lot of food, there's too many variables involved to be more exact (temperature, light, etc).

I might even use my can of wine-saver argon on this stuff.

andyduncan

quality posts: 32 Private Messages andyduncan
polarbear22 wrote:And here is a link to a thread started a month or so back. Looks like a very desirable olive oil.

Wine.woot thread on olio nuovo

Andy - have you tasted yet?

Yup.

--------------------------------------------------
EDIT: please note this review is for the cheaper "Fiordolio", not the "Siloro" offered. The Fiordolio they sell in the 5-liter tins is the one without the D.O.P. certification. Casa De Case says this about the differences between the two:

"Fiordolio is made from the same olives as Siloro, and with the same care and quality control, taken entirely from within the D.O.P. region. Because the oil does not carry the D.O.P. certification it is much more economical. In blind tasting, we have been hard pressed to tell the difference between the Siloro and Fiordolio..."

Back to our regularly scheduled program
--------------------------------------------------

My 5-liter tin arrived the day before thanksgiving, we had some at thanksgiving, and I've had some throughout the week. I had some friends over for dinner last night, and we had some more.

It's really good. It has a grassy, herbaceous quality that is still quite fruity. The closest thing I could think of is that it tastes like green banana peel smells when you crack open a banana, but much subtler. There's a little bit of spice on the end, kind of a white pepper sort of heat, very light and fleeting.

I made some rice with it (excellent) and we used it to roast some potatoes (good, but probably a waste, I think the heat might have killed it, probably best to use it as a garnish/finisher), but the favorite consumption method was just the oil with a little bit of sea salt in it, into which we dipped some fresh home-made sourdough bread (only my second attempt at baking sourdough bread, they're ugly, but quite tasty). We also had a nice domestic champagne, one that I'm still not sure why WD hasn't offered on the site. Very reasonably priced. Stelvin cap closure.

I'd highly recommend that you pick up either this bottle, or one of the tins from Casa de Case, if they're still available. It's pricey, but I don't know of anywhere else you can even get olio nuovo, so I think it's worth it. The only other place I've had it is in restaurants, so if you figure you're going to get a dozen meals or so out of this bottle, that's not bad.

Some pics:

I'm putting WD's kids through college.

CasaDeCase

quality posts: 14 Private Messages CasaDeCase
evrything4fun wrote:I'm still really confused as to how long it will last in its "good" stage. Could we at least get a window, like how long it could last under ideal conditions...?

OK, Shelf life: This oil will retain its big bloom and bright flavors for at least a month - after that it will still be great olive oil, just a lot more tame. On the other hand, the bright green color will turn to golden shortly after the bottle is opened and the oil is exposed to air - but the flavor will not change. We sell this oil to lots of folks in 5 liter tins which they use over a much longer time frame. There is a huge amount of sediment in the oil which settles out in the bottom of the tin (in the bottle, too, but much less, obviously). Here is a link to an explanation about the sediment and longevity of the oil. Longevity of the oil.

Toffeeking

quality posts: 36 Private Messages Toffeeking
turbizzi wrote:I scored a bottle as kind of a labrat bonus. The olive oil was so good it completely outshined the bottle of Adequate Gift my friends and I were sampling.

This stuff is a bright neon green, and my wife described it best when she said "It's so olivey!"

Indeed, you get much more green-olive flavor
than any oil I'd ever had. Resist the urge to crack pepper into it - no seasoning necessary. Every once in a while, a delightfully gnarly little hint of black pepper will stick in the back of your throat. Complicated flavors at work here.

We made short work of a loaf of French bread from the local Safeway, and I couldn't help think this oil deserved something fancier. I can't wait to try the bruschetta recipe on the bottle.

One thing to note is the shelf life is shorter than traditional olive oil. I just take that as a good excuse to eat more.

This bottle of olive oil has showstopper potential at your holiday party, and it's too good to give away as a gift. Seriously, I'm not sharing any more.

The neon green description put me over the fence...thanks

Now all I need is some holiday SAKE to gift to myself

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
andyduncan wrote:

I wantz a byte! That looks delicious. I wish I liked Olive Oil.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
andyduncan wrote:Yup.

My 5-liter tin arrived the day before thanksgiving, we had some at thanksgiving, and I've had some throughout the week. I had some friends over for dinner last night, and we had some more.

It's really good. It has a grassy, herbaceous quality that is still quite fruity. The closest thing I could think of is that it tastes like green banana peel smells when you crack open a banana, but much subtler. There's a little bit of spice on the end, kind of a white pepper sort of heat, very light and fleeting.

I made some rice with it (excellent) and we used it to roast some potatoes (good, but probably a waste, I think the heat might have killed it, probably best to use it as a garnish/finisher), but the favorite consumption method was just the oil with a little bit of sea salt in it, into which we dipped some fresh home-made sourdough bread (only my second attempt at baking sourdough bread, they're ugly, but quite tasty). We also had a nice domestic champagne, one that I'm still not sure why WD hasn't offered on the site. Very reasonably priced. Stelvin cap closure.

I'd highly recommend that you pick up either this bottle, or one of the tins from Casa de Case, if they're still available. It's pricey, but I don't know of anywhere else you can even get olio nuovo, so I think it's worth it. The only other place I've had it is in restaurants, so if you figure you're going to get a dozen meals or so out of this bottle, that's not bad.

Some pics:

Thanks. I ordered as soon as I saw it. After reading this, I am thinking I should go in for more.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

cynthylee

quality posts: 9 Private Messages cynthylee

$39.99 for Balsamic Vinegar... $39.99 for Olive Oil... done shopping for the parents who don't "need" anything?? Priceless!

bkarney

quality posts: 5 Private Messages bkarney

Awesome, thank you Casa De Case and WD!

Toffeeking wrote:The neon green description put me over the fence...thanks

And you, Mr. ToffeeKing, hopefully we'll be seeing your name on the selling side of things soon!

CT

CasaDeCase

sgoman5674 wrote:Is this Kosher?

Not certified Kosher.
But 100% natural. Extra Virgin olive oil is the only food oil humans eat raw. The olives are harvested, crushed and pressed: basta! - that's all. Every other oil (corn, safflower, etd.) is processed in a refinery.

afranke

quality posts: 10 Private Messages afranke

In for one, getting holiday shopping done.

spammie

quality posts: 7 Private Messages spammie

[quote postid="3635562" user="andyduncan"] We also had a nice domestic champagne, one that I'm still not sure why WD hasn't offered on the site. Very reasonably priced. Stelvin cap closure.
Some pics:

quote]

In for 6 of the champagne! After buying the olive oil today and 2 of yesterday's balsamic offering (and being one of the lucky 10 to get the tradizonale!) it's all I can afford.

CasaDeCase

"andyduncan wrote: The only other place I've had it is in restaurants
For you foodies, we supply a lot of great restaurants in the San Francisco Bay area and many are featuring the olio nuovo on their menus now. If you are in New York: today we are shipping a huge amount of this olio nuovo to Michael White's restaurants in NYC: Alto, Convivo & Marea, and 10 Downing is featuring it right now.

apw2123

quality posts: 7 Private Messages apw2123
andyduncan wrote:Yup.

Some pics:

I do not have the palate that Andy has but I did enjoy it to no end. I could smell the grassy notes and I think I ate my weight in bread and oil (which is a lot). Andy had it right, some salt in the oil and bread I dipped my potatoes in it and it was awesome. I know it seems expensive for an olive oil but it is totally worth it.

Buy wine because you like it, not because someone said that is the wine you should drink.

andyduncan

quality posts: 32 Private Messages andyduncan
apw2123 wrote:I dipped my potatoes in it and it was awesome.

You dipped your potatoes into the community oil trough? That's the last time you get to sit next to the oil.

I'm putting WD's kids through college.

apw2123

quality posts: 7 Private Messages apw2123
andyduncan wrote:You dipped your potatoes into the community oil trough? That's the last time you get to sit next to the oil.

Nope into the oil that dripped off my bread onto my plate. But I should have dipped into the community oil trough that would have been easier and I would have got more oil on them, thanks for the suggestion. Now I am hungry for oil trough and bread...stupid kids who "need" an "education" keeping me from breaking into your house for more oil.

Buy wine because you like it, not because someone said that is the wine you should drink.

pfcouvar

quality posts: 4 Private Messages pfcouvar
CasaDeCase wrote:OK, Shelf life: This oil will retain its big bloom and bright flavors for at least a month - after that it will still be great olive oil, just a lot more tame. On the other hand, the bright green color will turn to golden shortly after the bottle is opened and the oil is exposed to air - but the flavor will not change. We sell this oil to lots of folks in 5 liter tins which they use over a much longer time frame. There is a huge amount of sediment in the oil which settles out in the bottom of the tin (in the bottle, too, but much less, obviously). Here is a link to an explanation about the sediment and longevity of the oil. Longevity of the oil.

What a great answer to my question. Thank you!

Aracos

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Aracos
spammie wrote:
In for 6 of the champagne! After buying the olive oil today and 2 of yesterday's balsamic offering (and being one of the lucky 10 to get the tradizonale!) it's all I can afford.

I hear you, but I skipped the balsamic this time since I have 4 full and a partial still from 2 previous offers. I'm one of the lucky 10 also and I just found out this morning I'm getting laid off again on the 30th. I guess I will have more time to polish off this bottle of olive oil while it is still at its peak at least. If it is as good as the comments say, I'm sure I'd wish for more, but I can't swing it.