Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Cesare

quality posts: 1565 Private Messages Cesare

Cavedoni Botte Piccola Italian Balsamic
$34.99 + $5 shipping
Condition: Aged 7 Years
Product: 1 250ml Cavedoni Botte Piccola Italian Balsamic
All states can order this and no you don't have to be 21.

Product Website
Brought to us by Casa de Case

Previous Offer Forums:
7/10/2008
12/2/2008
8/6/2009

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

slightlyslapdash

quality posts: 8 Private Messages slightlyslapdash

Man I love this stuff!!!!!!!!

I love to add it to my rice when I cook.

=(|) woot monkeys rock. \m/(>.<)\m/

hld1970

quality posts: 16 Private Messages hld1970

I bought this last time and it is very worth it. My favorite use: drizzling on vanilla ice cream.

greenmonkey125

quality posts: 10 Private Messages greenmonkey125

I bought this for my mom last time it was up. She's used it for lots of things and really likes it. I, however, find it tastes more like grape 'must' than it does a really great balsamic vinegar. It's definitely a decent product, though. It has that nice syrupy consistency that I look for in an aged vinegar, and a nice concentrated flavor.

Just a little too 'fruity' still for my tastes.

I, personally, buy a lot of my vinegars and oils from a local place called Zingermans. They have a website (http://www.zingermans.com) that they ship from. I'm not plugging them, but they have some cool stuff. =P

hinnman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hinnman

This stuff is so good! I could drink it!

GvnMcCld

quality posts: 6 Private Messages GvnMcCld

I bought this last year, only thing I can say: Pure Awesome.

jaykid007

quality posts: 14 Private Messages jaykid007

I had this last time and it was amazing...going in for another!
Actually, going for two! This will sell out fast.

CaptainWes

quality posts: 102 Private Messages CaptainWes

Is this like the stuff Alton Brown keeps handcuffed in a briefcase to his wrist?

awilder

quality posts: 0 Private Messages awilder

How do you say "Nectar of the Gods" in Italian?

posmr15

quality posts: 3 Private Messages posmr15

isn't this expensive for vinegar?

jaykid007

quality posts: 14 Private Messages jaykid007
awilder wrote:How do you say "Nectar of the Gods" in Italian?

Nettare dei dei

Here is the link to the blog for this product last August:
http://wine.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=3370476

shrdlu

quality posts: 4 Private Messages shrdlu
posmr15 wrote:isn't this expensive for vinegar?

No. No it isn't. Not for this one. I gave one as a present to a friend, and kept one. He's still thanking me.

Heirloom tomatoes, with a bit of fresh rosemary, and some aged parmesan. Mmmmmmmm

It takes months to find a customer, but only seconds to lose one.
The good news is that we should run out of them in no time.

http://demotivators.despair.com/demotivational/disservicedemotivator.jpg

Nidaba

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Nidaba

Actually, vinegar attracts flies better than honey.

And this vinegar looks like it would bring all the flies to the yard.

jtoc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jtoc

250ml is less than half the size of a bottle of eggo pancake syryp. Too small for the price.

I don't care what you think.

tinginator

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tinginator

mmm this is my first wine.woot purchase.

thanks to those who posted a quick positive review of the vinegar - you pushed me over after reading the woot descript.

bought two as gifts to family - hoping to enjoy it with them on some vanilla ice cream in chilly ol' Texas : )

chris12345

quality posts: 25 Private Messages chris12345

Comments from August's sale.

Would this be a good gift for someone who is satisfied using what's sold for a couple of bucks at the grocery store as balsamic vinegar?

Portions of this comment have been redacted.

DaZoneRanger

quality posts: 44 Private Messages DaZoneRanger

Anybody ever have John Spenger's Bistro Blends Heirloom Balsamic Vinegar? How does this compare? I use the John Spenger stuff on all types of ice cream--vanilla, strawberry, chocolate, even mango frozen yogurt. I've found another one at Marshall's (of all places) that tastes very similar, only slightly less smooth (but costs only 1/3 the price of the Bistro Blends bottle). They both list 5% acidity. What is the acidity on this one?

dustthouart

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dustthouart

I found this blog review of it.

I'm not having a lot of luck finding out what price this normally sells for. I found a German gourmet site selling it for 24 euro, but nothing stateside...

Corrado

quality posts: 130 Private Messages Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

...and so popeth my gift week cherry. In for two after The Wife polished off our bottle last week. I hate "vinegar" and I love this stuff!

Corrado's Training Blog @ http://DrawnOutsideTheLinesOfReason.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/Corrado

It's not my fault that I love Gatzby! He's such a pretty, pretty "man."

fairnymph

quality posts: 55 Private Messages fairnymph

Here's my question. I just bought a bottle of $120, 25-year-aged BV. How is this going to compare to that?

Let's say the $120 bottle is a 10 and $4 Trader joe's stuff is a 1. Where does this lie on that scale?

It seems to me it's going to be under 5, and I'd rather pay more for a much better bottle. Thoughts?

My Cellar * Read my ramblings on LiveJournal.

79 wine.woots, 42 shirt.woots, 18 woots, 3 sellout.woots, 1 kids.woot

"I like my Sirah like I like my women: young, Petite and inky." - Thralow on CT

XterraGuy

quality posts: 5 Private Messages XterraGuy

My girlfriend got a bottle of this a few months ago here. This stuff is fantastic. If I'm good, she lets me take a nip from the bottle ;)

nvaine

quality posts: 63 Private Messages nvaine

Hard to find elsewhere, but here's a couple for about $55.

http://www.designdolcevita.com/

http://www.tuscanyflavors.com

juicius

quality posts: 39 Private Messages juicius

Moderna?

manywaters

quality posts: 2 Private Messages manywaters

Real Balsamic must be aged for a minimum of 12 years.

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42

I gave one to my mom for her birthday from the last December's offering. Wish I had thought to ask her how much she has left and specifically how much she liked it (other than that I know she liked it), or I'd think of getting another.
I still haven't even opened the one I kept for myself. I suppose I should do so. Heh.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

gosla

quality posts: 1 Private Messages gosla

Yea... I know what you're thinking.

"This is a lot of money for vinegar..."

To call this vinegar is much akin to calling a Ferrari, "a car..."

They are both made in the same town.

This "vinegar" is quite special indeed, and after having it, I know that I've just got to eventually experience "the car..."

I bought this last time. Got messed up a bit in shipping. I complained, and someone involved with the item told me to contact customer service.

By the time I got back to woot, and saw that message, I tried some.

WHOA!!! This was amazing. Anyway, I didn't even bother whining. And here I am, having bought another 2 within seconds of it being listed.

And, yea, better BUY NOW. It WILL sell out, even despite the "quantity of 2 limit" that to me, seems to be a trick to make it seem more elite. That's the only negative thing I can say. The "vinegar" itself, is phenomenal.

BTW - I'm sure someone will post more, but this stuff really isn't anything at all like what you've probably seen, if you're bitching about the price, etc. And it is a bargain...

I'd have bought 3, for the record. Might even open another account to snag another 2 now... ; )

ENJOY!!! : )

Hapgood610

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Hapgood610

After reading the rave reviews on the site, I purchased three of these last year as gifts (though I ended up keeping one for myself). This is good balsamic vinegar. My favorite use was in a citrus, cherry recipe (see below). The balsamic plus cherries and citrus were absolutely delish on top of ice cream. That said, I still have a pretty full bottle of this stuff in the pantry. It turns out, I don't eat dessert at home. Other than dessert, I haven't found a whole lot to do with small quantities of really expensive vinegar. I've put it on portobello mushrooms and tried to make a salad dressing with it - but after trying it once, I couldn't justify using my expensive vinegar to cook with - there just wasn't enough of a flavor enhancement. I gave one bottle to my grandma and split the other bottles up and gave them to my friends. All involved like gourmet food items and yet none of them ever mentioned the vinegar again. If they enjoy/used it, I didn't hear about it. I also took my bottle to an ice cream sundae party with a bunch of foodies. Again, it went unused, it couldn't compete with hot fudge and fresh whipped cream.

That said, the package is very nice for gifting (click on the photo to see). It really is good vinegar, just make sure you find someone who will appreciate it.

Cherry recipe (scroll to the bottom of the article)
http://www.latimes.com/features/printedition/food/la-fo-cherries-s,0,433960.story

If anyone uses this for something other than an ice cream topper, please pass on your suggestions.

bigfrank

quality posts: 10 Private Messages bigfrank

I bought this the last time, If you ever had just made and still warm fresh Mozzarella from Brooklyn NY and added this Balsamic then you know what heaven is like.

join me in the hot tub at www.bigfrankshottub.com

DaZoneRanger

manywaters wrote:Real Balsamic must be aged for a minimum of 12 years.

That's actually what it says on Wikipedia. So, uh, what exactly is this? I'm still wondering if anybody has had the John Spenger's Bistro Blends Heirloom Balsamic and how it compares to this. The Bistro Blends is supposed to contain some 18 year balsamic blended in. I saw a show on PBS about balsamic, and there was a balsamic maker that was blending 100+ year old balsamic in with their best stuff, which cost like $150 for a few ounces.

I'm totally tempted to jump on this, but something tells me it will not be any better than the JS stuff that I can find online or at a local farmer's market (don't get me wrong, the JS stuff is fantastic--but why pay more?)

Hapgood610

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Hapgood610
shrdlu wrote:No. No it isn't. Not for this one. I gave one as a present to a friend, and kept one. He's still thanking me.

Heirloom tomatoes, with a bit of fresh rosemary, and some aged parmesan. Mmmmmmmm

Now that's a suggestion! I tried the standard basil and mozzarella, but found the vinegar too sweet. This could be perfect.

ckeilah

quality posts: 149 Private Messages ckeilah

This stuff is so good it crashed my computer, took down my network, tripped the power, and made me yell obscenities... Well, that's the reason I'm so late to the praise game here. This stuff is spectacular! It really is vinegar perfection. Just a few drops on some basil, tomato, and fresh mozzarella will create sensations of ecstasy usually reserved for much more vigorous activities. Yes, it's crazy expensive for "vinegar". But this is so far and above every other vinegar I've ever tasted, and the required dosage is so low, that it really is worth every penny.

The only problem is that there's no cap for the pour nozzle so I'm torn between wasting precious drops every time I switch out the corks and pouring straight from the bottle which can lead to overdose. Anyone at woot listening? can we get a cap for the pour nozzle so we can leave that cork in the bottle all the time?

Please do not increment my Quality Posts count. 69 is a good place to be. ;-)
MOD: We had to...we just HAD TO...

CasaDeCase

quality posts: 14 Private Messages CasaDeCase
fairnymph wrote:Here's my question. I just bought a bottle of $120, 25-year-aged BV. How is this going to compare to that?

Let's say the $120 bottle is a 10 and $4 Trader joe's stuff is a 1. Where does this lie on that scale?

It seems to me it's going to be under 5, and I'd rather pay more for a much better bottle. Thoughts?

You can read my posting from the previous offering . But essentially you most likely purchased a tradizionale and should be very good indeed. The posting will explain the difference. so where on your scale does this fit? Hmmm. There were some folks last time who purchased Botte Piccola and who wrote to us separately to purchased superb tradizionale; I'll let them answer.

ckeilah

Corrado wrote:...and so popeth my gift week cherry. In for two after The Wife polished off our bottle last week. I hate "vinegar" and I love this stuff!

Yeah, and it'll grow hair on your upper lip! ;-)

ckeilah

fairnymph wrote:Here's my question. I just bought a bottle of $120, 25-year-aged BV. How is this going to compare to that?

Dayum! I had a couple of bottles of BV circa 1982. I had no idea they sold for that kind of insanity. I would gladly have sold them and bought a case of this vinegar. 25yo BV is about an 8. To paraphrase the biggest rock band of all time: THIS GOES TO ELEVEN!!!

JOATMON

quality posts: 19 Private Messages JOATMON
CasaDeCase wrote:There were some folks last time who purchased Botte Piccola and who wrote to us separately to purchased superb tradizionale; I'll let them answer.

Speaking of which, any chance you will reprise that special offering? I know I'll jump...

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

CasaDeCase

JOATMON wrote:Speaking of which, any chance you will reprise that special offering? I know I'll jump...

I need to check our inventory. You can imagine we don't keep hundreds of these puppies on the shelf. I'll let you know tomorrow.

choey2k5

quality posts: 6 Private Messages choey2k5

Will this satisfy my need for alcoholic intoxication when mixed in small quantities with wine?

DaZoneRanger

What's the acidity of this? 6%? The two BVs that I've had that were good enough for ice cream were 5%, but on the PBS show, I thought I remember seeing that true BV should be 6%. I'm wondering if the two I've tried lower the acidity to bring out the sweetness and to mimic the higher grades of BV.

CasaDeCase

CasaDeCase wrote:You can read my posting from the previous offering (I am not sure how to reference a particular posting, but this will get you to the post and just find the really long one.) But essentially you most likely purchased a tradizionale and should be very good indeed. The posting will explain the difference. so where on your scale does this fit? Hmmm. There were some folks last time who purchased Botte Piccola and who wrote to us separately to purchased superb tradizionale; I'll let them answer.

HA! This is way too funny. I totally misread your post - you were comparing wine and vinegar and I thought you were comparing two kinds of balsamic vinegar - one of which sells in the $120 range. Too funny. Anyway - how can scale-up pigs and chickens? They taste completely differently.