+ Add a Comment

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 181 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

Okay, for those of you who need to start planning months in advance (Cheron), or for those who need to block things off in advance, here's the scoop.

Dark & Delicious 2010 ticket info and ordering. 20 Food and 34 wineries have already signed up to participate. Sign up for tickets on the left side of the web page.

This is the US's annual, quintessential Petite Sirah food & wine event

Rock Wall Wine Company - 2301 Monarch Street, Alameda, CA

Friday, February 19, 2010 | 6:00pm - 9:00pm

Tickets are $60 per person

$70 per person as of 2/1/2010

Tickets are only $40 if you are a PS Groupie. $50 single or $75 for a couple (annual membership). Plus you get a t-shirt (both as a groupie and for the event).

NoCal #4 will be on the 20th (Saturday).

Last year, Loweeel (aka Petite Sirah), Cheron, JavaDrinker, Tenuki (plus 2 friends - WorstVeg being one), and I made arrangements for D&D. We stayed at a great Holiday Inn in Alameda (not too far from D&D), and got one room with a suite. WineDavid and WineFarm showed up for D&D, and came back to the hotel for some PS tasting.

Java couldn't stay for the weekend, so it was just the rest of us (WD & WF had other things as well) going around to wineries that weekend. We moved to another hotel for the Saturday and Sunday fun. However, I think we may stay somewhere else next year.

We went to Vincent Arroyo for their barrel tasting, as well as other wineries in the area, both Saturday and Sunday.

Long story short (too late!), I'm sure most of us will be returning to the scene of the crime. So we can use this as planning for events not associated with NoCal #4.

D&D (Friday, 2/19/2010):

Attendees (16):

• Loweeel +1
  • MarkDaSpark
  • JustPlainJulie +1
  • WineDavid39
  • WineFarm
  • Tenuki +1 (J)
  • Nostrom0
  • Soochee
  • CAGirl
  • klezman
  • Fairnymph
  • JoanneVicious
  • JavaDrinker

Maybes:

• WorstVeg
  • mewalk707
  • Mother

Drop-Outs, Scabs, Pathetic Excuses, etc.

• Cheron98
  • TheMostRighteous (TMR)
  • ddeudeg
  • bahwm

Friday night hotel:

The Holiday Inn & Suites Oakland
77 Hegenberger Road
Oakland, CA 94621

Weekend Events (Saturday & Sunday Wineries):

Attendees: (13 Sat/ 11 Sun)

• Loweeel +1
  • MarkDaSpark
  • JavaDrinker
  • Nostrom0
  • Soochee
  • Fairnymph
  • JustPlainJulie +1
  • Tenuki (+1 (j) on Sat / Maybe on Sun)
  • WorstVeg (Sat only)
  • mewalk707 (Yes on Sat / Maybe on Sun)
  • CAGirl +1 (Sat only)

Maybes:

• Mother
  • klezman

Saturday/Sunday Hotel looks to be:

Clarion Collection Lodge at Calistoga
1865 Lincoln Ave., Calistoga, CA

Come to the Dark Side!!!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98

I may have my ticket, if the PSith Master already picked it up I believe TMR will be joining us as well, but I'm not sure.

I'm looking into the reward night costs of the Oakland Holiday Inn (where we were). Need to know where we plan to be for Saturday and/or Sunday. Are we thinking this is going to be a full weekend event again like last year (Friday - Monday)? Definitely want to stay at the same HI for Friday night, that was really nice. So.

Yeah.

I'm using my reward nights for one room each night for me and Loweeel. I'll get costs up for the rest of you for what it'll be.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

MarkDaSpark

cheron98 wrote:I may have my ticket, if the PSith Master already picked it up I believe TMR will be joining us as well, but I'm not sure.

I'm looking into the reward night costs of the Oakland Holiday Inn (where we were). Need to know where we plan to be for Saturday and/or Sunday. Are we thinking this is going to be a full weekend event again like last year (Friday - Monday)? Definitely want to stay at the same HI for Friday night, that was really nice. So.

Yeah.

I'm using my reward nights for one room each night for me and Loweeel. I'll get costs up for the rest of you for what it'll be.

Full weekend for me, but most may leave Sunday to fly home. We'll have to see. ddeudeg and bahwm may change their plans and fly in for D&D as well. (Yea!!)

The first night hotel was nice. We might want to see if they have two suites side by side, in case the group is larger this year.

Let me know how much the suite is, since it worked out well for us last year.

Saturday night will be NoCal #4, so we probably should be close to it. Napa/Sonoma area so far is all they have for it.

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

Loweeel

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Loweeel

I am planning on coming, and may be +1 or possibly even +2 depending on who decides to come.

Work may, of course, decide to get in the way, but I think I can avoid it.

More details as I know more.

Favorites: Roessler ¬ KRPN ¬ Etude ¬ Stuart ¬ KRPort ¬ Tøøthstejnn ¬ Titus ¬ URSA ¬ InZin ¬ SBMystery ¬ SxBS&Z+4 ¬ DC3&4 ¬ TyC3&FB ¬ FeEquus ¬ PSPS ¬ Harvey ¬ SBRes&CR ¬ Corison ¬ Noceto ¬ Humbug ¬ KRSEXY3SOME ¬ PoiZin06 ¬ POLY ¬ Castoro ¬ SBCab ¬ KRPS2K ¬ HW12 ¬ GSaké ¬ הגפןCab ¬ PepBr

CT ¬ PSychos' Path
"The one difference between me and Petite Sirah is that I don't have a dumb period." - YT

cheron98

MarkDaSpark wrote:Let me know how much the suite is, since it worked out well for us last year.

The suite is $132.24/night after taxes et al at the full pre-payment advance purchase no cancellations allowed price.

Else, $141.36 for the package that includes breakfast for 2 ($10 each), that allows cancellations and does not charge until you check out.

My points do not cover the cost of a suite - they will go towards the 2 king bed room.

cheron98

And it looks like the closest HI for Napa area is in American Canyon, just north of Vallejo where we stayed last year. Brand new hotel - wasn't open last year. And it's an HIE, so breakfast is included.

MarkDaSpark

cheron98 wrote:The suite is $132.24/night after taxes et al at the full pre-payment advance purchase no cancellations allowed price.

Else, $141.36 for the package that includes breakfast for 2 ($10 each), that allows cancellations and does not charge until you check out.

My points do not cover the cost of a suite - they will go towards the 2 king bed room.

No problem. Hmmm, around $9 more for $20 worth of breakfast? Book 'em, Cheron-O. Or should I book the package?

cheron98

MarkDaSpark wrote:No problem. Hmmm, around $9 more for $20 worth of breakfast? Book 'em, Cheron-O. Or should I book the package?

well, if I book 'em, I get the points later for your room Unless you've signed up for Priority Club membership and you want the points since you're paying your own room.

I'm going to hold off on the second hotel only because we haven't all figured out the dates for everyone yet. If L is planning on staying thru to Monday, that'll make a difference. So. Yeah. But Oakland is sure enough to book.

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee

I totally forgot, we're coming up on the one year anniversary of FRUIT FORWARD AND FABULOUS. Oh, man, I have so much to plan and no time to do it.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

tenuki

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tenuki

I'm definitely in. Single tickets are actually $60 this year Maybe I'll join groupie, not sure. Worstveg will hopefully be in South America as there's a conference she's excited about for work, but has never actually gotten to go abroad for a conference yet. J says she'd like to go again, but I'd consider that a probable rather than a yes.

CT

MarkDaSpark

cheron98 wrote:well, if I book 'em, I get the points later for your room Unless you've signed up for Priority Club membership and you want the points since you're paying your own room.

I'm going to hold off on the second hotel only because we haven't all figured out the dates for everyone yet. If L is planning on staying thru to Monday, that'll make a difference. So. Yeah. But Oakland is sure enough to book.

Maybe I should book my room then. Oh, do you know what the difference is between the King Bed Executive Suite and the King Suite w/ Parlor? Other than the King Suite w/ Parlor is a lot more?

cheron98

MarkDaSpark wrote:Maybe I should book my room then. Oh, do you know what the difference is between the King Bed Executive Suite and the King Suite w/ Parlor? Other than the King Suite w/ Parlor is a lot more?

No clue. The descriptions look exactly the same. The KBES is what I got for us last time, though.

Tenuki - will you be returning to your abode, or do you want a room too? I think if I book 4 or more rooms at once I can negotiate a group deal, so Sparky, you may want to hold off. If Java wants his own room and TMR comes and wants his own room and tenuki wants a room, or if 2 of those 3 wish to share, we can look into a group rate. 'Cuz ddeuddeg and bahwm would need a room too.

Edit: No, nevermind, need at least 10 rooms to get a group rate. Bastards.

MarkDaSpark

cheron98 wrote:No clue. The descriptions look exactly the same. The KBES is what I got for us last time, though.

Tenuki - will you be returning to your abode, or do you want a room too? I think if I book 4 or more rooms at once I can negotiate a group deal, so Sparky, you may want to hold off. If Java wants his own room and TMR comes and wants his own room and tenuki wants a room, or if 2 of those 3 wish to share, we can look into a group rate. 'Cuz ddeuddeg and bahwm would need a room too.

Well, we're up to 5 (you, Loweeel +1, TMR, Java, me) with 2 more possible (Tenuki and ddeudeg/bahwm).

And sounds like the "Parlor" has a conference table with chairs instead of the sofa and TV, from calling them direct.

Edit: Okay, suite booked using Triple AAA rate.

justplainjulie

quality posts: 5 Private Messages justplainjulie

I'd like to jump in as a "maybe." I am kind of late to the party on this and need to check flights and such, but it sounds like a great time.

mother

quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother

Throw me in as a maybe as well... Sounds like a good time!

MarkDaSpark

justplainjulie wrote:I'd like to jump in as a "maybe." I am kind of late to the party on this and need to check flights and such, but it sounds like a great time.

It's 3 months away!!! Although the D&D tickets sometimes go quickly.

But will update and add you as a maybe ....

mewalk707

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mewalk707
cheron98 wrote:No clue. The descriptions look exactly the same. The KBES is what I got for us last time, though.

Need a roommate?

Is there another single out there that wants to buy tix together to get the cheaper price?

justplainjulie

quality posts: 5 Private Messages justplainjulie
MarkDaSpark wrote:It's 3 months away!!! Although the D&D tickets sometimes go quickly.

But will update and add you as a maybe ....

Fine. Add me as a confirmed "yes" - I'm bad at dealing with peer pressure.

cheron98

mewalk707 wrote:Need a roommate?

Is there another single out there that wants to buy tix together to get the cheaper price?

AFAIK, Loweeel will be my roomie. He's paying for my flight out, so I'm providing the hotel.

cheron98

justplainjulie wrote:Fine. Add me as a confirmed "yes" - I'm bad at dealing with peer pressure.

woohoo!

mewalk707

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mewalk707
cheron98 wrote:AFAIK, Loweeel will be my roomie. He's paying for my flight out, so I'm providing the hotel.

Then i'll need to get a room too. Sounds like we're halfway to a group rate already.

cheron98

mewalk707 wrote:Then i'll need to get a room too. Sounds like we're halfway to a group rate already.

meep

cheron98

How many people did we squish into that living space in the suite last year? 10?

tenuki

cheron98 wrote:How many people did we squish into that living space in the suite last year? 10?

I count 8. WD, WF, You, Java, Sparky, me + 2.

Edit: oops, forgot the redheaded guy :P So 9?

PS Edit: doubly entertaining since he's probably the reason we all went, sorry lowell :P

CT

tenuki

I probably would not rent a room, esp. if I get other people like J to go and might even offer crash space.

CT

cheron98

tenuki wrote:I count 8. WD, WF, You, Java, Sparky, me + 2.

PS Edit: doubly entertaining since he's probably the reason we all went, sorry lowell :P

K. I'll see about getting us a hangout post-D&D room then, because I don't think we could fit too many more in the suite. It was comfy at that number. Any more and I think we'd be on each others' laps.

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42

Dang, ya'll are making me want to come now. And I know I shouldn't.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

MarkDaSpark

cheron98 wrote:AFAIK, Loweeel will be my roomie. He's paying for my flight out, so I'm providing the hotel.

Be aware that Loweeel said +1 or +2 (might be a new SO and his brother), so he might be planning on a separate room from you.

MarkDaSpark

tenuki wrote:I count 8. WD, WF, You, Java, Sparky, me + 2.

Well, he did fall asleep towards the end.

The "Parlor" had a conference table, but that didn't sound too fun. Didn't ask if any of the King Size Executive Suites had adjoining rooms with a door between them (doesn't look like it from last year's pics).

Plus I've got some PS Ports, as well as some verticals of Turley, and older PS's, so I will be consulting with the PSith Master about what to bring.

cheron98

MarkDaSpark wrote:Be aware that Loweeel said +1 or +2 (might be a new SO and his brother), so he might be planning on a separate room from you.

then he's gonna have to pay his own hotel. Deal is he shares my (free) room

MarkDaSpark

Oh, and right now I'm putting people down under both sections (D&D, and Sat/Sun Winery stuff) as they pop up.

So if you are only doing one of the other, please specify.

CAGrl

quality posts: 13 Private Messages CAGrl

Okay, put me and hubby as maybes. Completely depends on what I do for that weekend with regards to the bar but hopefully, it won't be so bad. All this pressure is really making me want to go. Myabe I'll do D&D and skip Nor Cal #4.

cheron98

CAGrl wrote:Okay, put me and hubby as maybes. Completely depends on what I do for that weekend with regards to the bar but hopefully, it won't be so bad. All this pressure is really making me want to go. Myabe I'll do D&D and skip Nor Cal #4.

I think we're hoping that NorCal #4 will end up being in the Napa/Sonoma area and we can all kind of combine them

MarkDaSpark

cheron98 wrote:I think we're hoping that NorCal #4 will end up being in the Napa/Sonoma area and we can all kind of combine them

I think she meant that she can only go to one, due to the pressure of studying for the Bar Exam.

CAGrl

quality posts: 13 Private Messages CAGrl
MarkDaSpark wrote:I think she meant that she can only go to one, due to the pressure of studying for the Bar Exam.

yuppo. D&D sounds like the better choice only because I might be flying out Saturday night or Sunday morning.

MarkDaSpark

D&D Ticket arrived today (or yesterday, didn't pick up my UPS box then).

#003! Woot!!

tenuki

MarkDaSpark wrote:D&D Ticket arrived today (or yesterday, didn't pick up my UPS box then).

#003! Woot!!

bah, I should have gone ahead and ordered when they were first up, but didn't know if I want one or two or ...

CT

cheron98

i'm out. have fun, guys.

MarkDaSpark

cheron98 wrote:i'm out. have fun, guys.

How come? We'll miss you.

cheron98

MarkDaSpark wrote:How come? We'll miss you.

Long story short, too much to do next year, too little vacation time, and I have to pick and choose very carefully.

Bearing in mind that I might get sick at the end of the year.