iByron

quality posts: 40 Private Messages iByron

For those of you around Thanksgiving weekend, tripgrad has graciously offered up his townhouse in Burke for a w.w 'lite' gathering.

Thanksgiving (in the US) means a lot of foods brought together that normally would never see the same table. Thus our theme is:

Whatever You Think Is Appropriate for Black Friday

That can be Thanksgiving-appropriate wines, wines that you find relaxing after a day of Hell at the Mall, the wine you wish had been served with T-day dinner, the "Black WInes" of Cahors, aut cit.

Let us know here if you'll attend and what you'll be bringing.

Details:
Date: Friday, November 27, 2009 - "Black Friday"
Time: TBD
Theme: Black Friday
Host: tripgrad (PM for directions) - Burke, VA (Metro DC)

Attending:
• tripgrad (host)
• iByron
• InShadows

Maybe:

Regrets:
• cjsiege
• nabrunk
• cheron98

Wines:
2006 Villa Appalaccia Winery Pinot Grigio (InShadows)
2005 Domaine des Gravalous Cahors Cuvée Traditionelle (iByron)

iByron's iCellar (I'm a reciprocal CT Cellar Buddy)

Your Private WIneaux

cjsiege

quality posts: 13 Private Messages cjsiege

Dang it! I'll be in Charlotte. Unless we start at 6am. Then I can come to Burke, have a few sips and *then* go to Charlotte.

Hey....that's a truly evil thought. We show up at Tripgrad's house at 3am, line up around the block, and pretend like we're in line for the $99 laptop at Best Buy...

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 26 Private Messages ddeuddeg
cjsiege wrote:Dang it! I'll be in Charlotte. Unless we start at 6am. Then I can come to Burke, have a few sips and *then* go to Charlotte.

Hey....that's a truly evil thought. We show up at Tripgrad's house at 3am, line up around the block, and pretend like we're in line for the $99 laptop at Best Buy...

Truly evil doesn't begin to describe that idea. I'll pass, thank you. I want time to enjoy your company.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98

Hmmmmmmm... I *think* we're doing Dinner on Black Friday, but MAYBE I can be available. I'll keep an eye out but probably can't commit for sure until possibly that day.

Because I'll be at my sis' for Thanksgiving. So we'll see

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

InShadows

quality posts: 1 Private Messages InShadows

I was going to go on Friday to PA to see my cousins but I can go up on Saturday. It's just an excuse for me to go to a WBS Penguins game anyways. So count me in... I can bring a nice pinot grigio, I kid I kid..

CT
“Every time you think something or someone is stupid, it just means there is another thing in this world you don’t understand.” - In memory of Robert, 1975-2009
If you make a man a fire, he'll be warm for a night. If you set him on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Past NoVA Gatherings

iByron

InShadows wrote:I was going to go on Friday to PA to see my cousins but I can go up on Saturday. It's just an excuse for me to go to a WBS Penguins game anyways. So count me in... I can bring a nice pinot grigio, I kid I kid..

Hey a nice PG is perfectly acceptable.

iByron

Your Private WIneaux

iByron

InShadows wrote:I was going to go on Friday to PA to see my cousins but I can go up on Saturday. It's just an excuse for me to go to a WBS Penguins game anyways. So count me in... I can bring a nice pinot grigio, I kid I kid..

Hey a nice PG is perfectly acceptable.

iByron

Your Private WIneaux

InShadows

iByron wrote:Hey a nice PG is perfectly acceptable.

iByron

I probably will bring a PG just not one I've bought 50 bottles of and sold 36(?) of to wine.wooters. Ya'll might be getting tired of that one.

CT
“Every time you think something or someone is stupid, it just means there is another thing in this world you don’t understand.” - In memory of Robert, 1975-2009
If you make a man a fire, he'll be warm for a night. If you set him on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Past NoVA Gatherings

cjsiege

cheron98 wrote:Hmmmmmmm... I *think* we're doing Dinner on Black Friday, but MAYBE I can be available. I'll keep an eye out but probably can't commit for sure until possibly that day.

Because I'll be at my sis' for Thanksgiving. So we'll see

Shall I leave a key under the back door mat? In case you have had a little "too much family"? You can have the house to yourself.

cheron98

cjsiege wrote:Shall I leave a key under the back door mat? In case you have had a little "too much family"? You can have the house to yourself.

You are such an angel, I would adore that. Will you be in town on Thursday? There's a good chance that when I show up, sis & fam will be off at the in-laws' house for their dinner (yeah, they're doing 2 dinners. crazies).

cjsiege

cheron98 wrote:You are such an angel, I would adore that. Will you be in town on Thursday? There's a good chance that when I show up, sis & fam will be off at the in-laws' house for their dinner (yeah, they're doing 2 dinners. crazies).

How about if I call you tonight?

cheron98

cjsiege wrote:How about if I call you tonight?

I'll be available

tripgrad

quality posts: 3 Private Messages tripgrad

iconic American wines suggested by Dave McIntyre:
Santa Barbara County,CA chardonnay
Carneros, CA Pinot noir
Napa Valley cabernet sauvignon
old-vine Zinfandel
N.Y. Sparkling wine
Oregon pinot gris
Columbia Valley, WA Riesling
or a Local wine such as Horton Vineyards Viognier.

R.I.P.
WINE.W00T NOV 4, 2012

tripgrad

I've got '06 Kent Rasmussen Pinot Noir from Carneros which RossR rated 93 points on CT:
"My new favorite Pinot!"

R.I.P.
WINE.W00T NOV 4, 2012

tripgrad

Also just received '07 Fess Parker Chardonnay from the iconic Bien Nacido Vineyard as part of wine club shipment.

R.I.P.
WINE.W00T NOV 4, 2012

tripgrad

I've still got 2000 Corison Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon, too.

R.I.P.
WINE.W00T NOV 4, 2012

tripgrad

days to go...

R.I.P.
WINE.W00T NOV 4, 2012

iByron

I may be plus one.

Given the size of the confirmed list, I can't imagine a Burke townhouse won't accommodate!

iByron

Your Private WIneaux

tripgrad

iByron wrote:I may be plus one.

Given the size of the confirmed list, I can't imagine a Burke townhouse won't accommodate!

iByron

Sure, let's say 7:30 pm.

R.I.P.
WINE.W00T NOV 4, 2012

cheron98

I will not be able to make it. We're definitely doing the full dinner thing on Friday and it'll be down in Culpeper, so blah.

tripgrad

days to go...

R.I.P.
WINE.W00T NOV 4, 2012

tripgrad

days to go...

R.I.P.
WINE.W00T NOV 4, 2012

InShadows

And here's what I'm bringing as far as wine is concerned. Still working on thinking about food.

CT
Past NoVA Gatherings

nabrunk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nabrunk

I completely fell off the face of the earth a few months ago - but I'm back!

I am a maybe right now. I will very likely have friends in town, but I don't know what the agenda is. I'll ask 'em if they want to woot! I'll update when I have a better idea of what's going on.

"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars." ~ Oscar Wilde

tripgrad

Only
days to go...

R.I.P.
WINE.W00T NOV 4, 2012

tripgrad

Only
days to go...

R.I.P.
WINE.W00T NOV 4, 2012

tripgrad

No one needs to bring their own wine glass because I have plenty of them.

R.I.P.
WINE.W00T NOV 4, 2012

cheron98

Put me back as a maybe. We're doing dinner tomorrow after all which frees up my Friday. So I may come... could someone please PM me the address? Is it metro accessible?

iByron

cheron98 wrote:Put me back as a maybe. We're doing dinner tomorrow after all which frees up my Friday. So I may come... could someone please PM me the address? Is it metro accessible?

It's not metro-accessible. Burke is VRE-accessible, but I wouldn't recommend trying to navigate that on a holiday.

If you are a "yes" I will come get you. Make your way to Springfield-Franconia. I'll PM my cell.

iByron

Your Private WIneaux

cheron98

iByron wrote:It's not metro-accessible. Burke is VRE-accessible, but I wouldn't recommend trying to navigate that on a holiday.

If you are a "yes" I will come get you. Make your way to Springfield-Franconia. I'll PM my cell.

iByron

Awesome. I'll give you a call on Friday to let you know for sure.

cheron98

so uh, what time is this shindig?

tripgrad

tripgrad wrote:... let's say 7:30 pm.

Also please be careful not to park in the spaces that have white reserved markings.

R.I.P.
WINE.W00T NOV 4, 2012

cheron98

tripgrad wrote:Also please be careful not to park in the spaces that have white reserved markings.

yeah i'm a loser for not seeing that in the thread 7:30, eh. Hmm.

that's a wee bit late for the travel time back here. Think I might pass after all. Sorry guys!

nabrunk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nabrunk

Friends want to do other things, so I am out. I'll keep my eye open for the next time.

"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars." ~ Oscar Wilde

iByron

Well, I'm still in and I've updated my contribution.

See the few of you this evening.

iByron

Your Private WIneaux

iByron

Okay it was as small gathering, but a great time was had by all.

We do have pictures (tripgrad has them) and hopefully they'll be up somewhere soon.

However, no one "went CJ" on any of the bottles this time.

iByron

Your Private WIneaux

CpprCr8

quality posts: 5 Private Messages CpprCr8

Sorry to have missed this! Hopefully iB will be able to come down for the next one!

cjsiege & CpprCr8: A girl & a car, living the w.w dream!

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 26 Private Messages ddeuddeg
iByron wrote:Okay it was as small gathering, but a great time was had by all.

We do have pictures (tripgrad has them) and hopefully they'll be up somewhere soon.

However, no one "went CJ" on any of the bottles this time.

iByron

"went CJ"?

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

cheron98

ddeuddeg wrote:"went CJ"?

To "Go CJ": v.

To finish off a bottle of wine by tipping the bottle straight into your mouth. This is usually accompanied by someone snapping a photo of the act.

Proper etiquette states that to Go CJ, one must tilt one's head all the way back so that the bottle can be perpendicular to the floor. This often requires an act of back-bending to achieve the appropriate effect.

The first recorded act took place at a NoVA/DC gathering, in which the lovely cjsiege, aka Combat Barbie, found that a bottle of blue label Mumm had a few precious drops remaining in it. To not sacrifice these hard-earned drops, she grabbed the bottle, raised it to her lips, and tilted her head and the bottle back until it was truly empty.