tenuki

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tenuki

Kinda throwing it out there since the woot calendar's filling up pretty fast. Location slightly TBD, since while I'm willing to host, I'm worried people coming in from out of town for Dark and Delicious would rather spend Sat. in Sonoma/Napa and not drive back down to Walnut Creek for the gathering, so maybe get a location up there.

Anyway, come out for Dark and Delicious Friday, 2/19, and come hang out for the weekend with a gathering on Sat. night!

CT

bahwm

quality posts: 30 Private Messages bahwm
tenuki wrote:Kinda throwing it out there since the woot calendar's filling up pretty fast. Location slightly TBD, since while I'm willing to host, I'm worried people coming in from out of town for Dark and Delicious would rather spend Sat. in Sonoma/Napa and not drive back down to Walnut Creek for the gathering, so maybe get a location up there.

Anyway, come out for Dark and Delicious Friday, 2/19, and come hang out for the weekend with a gathering on Sat. night!

Will you be hosting D & D? I don't see a separate forum for it.

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

tenuki

bahwm wrote:Will you be hosting D & D? I don't see a separate forum for it.

D&D is that silly thing loweeel likes so much It's a Petite Sirah event that'll be in Alameda. I assume loweeel, cat, sparky and java will be there. I know some of the norcal people said they would have gone last year if they could so maybe this year

CT

bahwm

quality posts: 30 Private Messages bahwm
tenuki wrote:D&D is that silly thing loweeel likes so much It's a Petite Sirah event that'll be in Alameda. I assume loweeel, cat, sparky and java will be there. I know some of the norcal people said they would have gone last year if they could so maybe this year

Thanks for the link. I forgot (not sure that I ever really knew or realized that it is a commercial event). There are a lot of nice wineries represented. Hmmmmm. We're thinking about being in Vegas that week, but heading back east on Fri. That's winter break week for many NYS schools.

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

CAGrl

quality posts: 13 Private Messages CAGrl

Unfortunately, I might have other plans. I might be taking the NY bar exam. It would be the Tuesday after D&D so unfortunately, if I do take the exam, it'd be a no go for me. I'm so disappointed. I missed it this year so I really wanted to go check it out. Oh well.

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 185 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
bahwm wrote:Will you be hosting D & D? I don't see a separate forum for it.

We'll probably create one later, closer to the event.

I have to talk to Cheron about us staying at the same hotel as this year. The room with the suite really worked out for us. And depending, we might want to see if we can get a second (adjoining) suite, especially if we get more people dropping by. Last year WD and WineFarm went to D&D and dropped by afterwards for some PS.

That weekend we visited several wineries, and dropped by Vincent Arroyo for their barrel tasting.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

tenuki

CAGrl wrote:Unfortunately, I might have other plans. I might be taking the NY bar exam. It would be the Tuesday after D&D so unfortunately, if I do take the exam, it'd be a no go for me. I'm so disappointed. I missed it this year so I really wanted to go check it out. Oh well.

You're leaving us for NY? aww, but given the way cali's doing can totally see it.

CT

CAGrl

tenuki wrote:You're leaving us for NY? aww, but given the way cali's doing can totally see it.

Well, just trying to keep all my options open. Can't find anything here, so hubby and i thought it might be a good idea to try for a state with reciprocity.

MarkDaSpark

Okay, created the D&D thread for the activities not associated with NoCal #4 so we don't take over your thread.

That said, I'm sure we wouldn't mind company for D&D and winery visits (and assistance with some of the great ones you guys already took Nostrom0 and soochee to).

I did already commit to going to NoCal #4, right?

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

soochee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages soochee
CAGrl wrote:Well, just trying to keep all my options open. Can't find anything here, so hubby and i thought it might be a good idea to try for a state with reciprocity.

Options are always good, but we'll miss you in Cali. We'll definitely need more get-togethers in case you do leave.

It's a bit too far out for us to commit, so we're a maybe for now. Hell, we'll take any excuse to go up there and drink.

tenuki

MarkDaSpark wrote:Okay, created the D&D thread for the activities not associated with NoCal #4 so we don't take over your thread.

That said, I'm sure we wouldn't mind company for D&D and winery visits (and assistance with some of the great ones you guys already took Nostrom0 and soochee to).

I did already commit to going to NoCal #4, right?

Not officially, I just assumed ;) Really though just started the thread to put it on the w.w calendar. And then she didn't put it on anyway I know four months ahead is kinda ridiculous (well three now).

CT

CAGrl

soochee wrote:Options are always good, but we'll miss you in Cali. We'll definitely need more get-togethers in case you do leave.

It's a bit too far out for us to commit, so we're a maybe for now. Hell, we'll take any excuse to go up there and drink.

Well, NY is just to take the bar exam. Since I'm in school, you guys won't get rid of me at least until the end of 2010.

klezman

quality posts: 126 Private Messages klezman

Wine + East Bay + Saturday night? That sounds pretty doable...

2014: 42 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2012 Iron Horse Estate Chardonnay
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

MarkDaSpark

There won't be a Fulton Road Wine thing like this year (several Fulton Road wineries had open house D&D weekend this year), but Scott has graciously offered an informal open house with cheese, bread and salami scheduling it for any one of the nights that weekend.

Sunday, since Saturday is the NoCal gathering?

tenuki

MarkDaSpark wrote:There won't be a Fulton Road Wine thing like this year (several Fulton Road wineries had open house D&D weekend this year), but Scott has graciously offered an informal open house with cheese, bread and salami scheduling it for any one of the nights that weekend.

Sunday, since Saturday is the NoCal gathering?

hmm, are people still going to be around Sunday night though?

CT

MarkDaSpark

tenuki wrote:hmm, are people still going to be around Sunday night though?

Chances are that Loweeel and I will be. Perhaps Java too.

MarkDaSpark

Any updates on who will be hosting this? And where?

We are looking at accomodations for Saturday (& Sunday), so we need to know soon.

mewalk707

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mewalk707
MarkDaSpark wrote:Any updates on who will be hosting this? And where?

We are looking at accomodations for Saturday (& Sunday), so we need to know soon.

I am willing to co-host. I don’t live in the valley anymore so my house is out. Unless you want to come to Lake County!? No? I figured as much.

We’ll need gathering space and hotel rooms. Options that have been thrown around so far (see the D&D thread for more detail):

HIE in American Canyon

Silverado Resort in Napa

Any other ideas?

joannevicious

quality posts: 4 Private Messages joannevicious
klezman wrote:Wine + East Bay + Saturday night? That sounds pretty doable...

ditto

MarkDaSpark

Ok. Great news ..... if you guys like it.

I just got done talking with Jana Harvey and Bill Crowe of Scott Harvey Wines.

We can have our Wine.Woot gathering at their St. Helena home if we want on that Saturday night (from 5 to 10 pm). They will have cheese for us, and coffee as well at the end.

Unfortunately, Scott won't be able to be there, but I think Jana might be able to make it.

I've also bought some wines for my portion (so I don't have to drag some up). Was thinking Old World vs. New World wine styles as the theme. Also, I got a new 2007 InZin for us.

2007 InZinerator | New World | Zin
2007 Scott Harvey Mountain Selection Barbera | Old World | Barbera
2006 Scott Harvey Mountain Selection Syrah | Old World | Syrah
2007 Jana Michigan Riesling | Old World | Riesling
2008 Napa Valley Riesling | Old World | Riesling

As well as some Forté for afterwards.

Do you like? Dislike? Happy? Upset? Will this work for us?

tenuki

MarkDaSpark wrote:
Do you like? Dislike? Happy? Upset? Will this work for us?

It's kinda awesome. I guess I'll host a different NorCal gathering since I understand it'd be much better suited in wine country. If I can get my friends to stay out there will be really cool. I'd be up for buying a bottle of Angel Ice and donating it as I STILL haven't gotten any, even with the 50% off codes over the holidays. What a stupid I am.

CT

Nostrom0

quality posts: 13 Private Messages Nostrom0

So Scott is opening up his home to us, in absentia? Commence with the man-crush. Again.

What's with you NoCal people and your disorganization :p

Stash at CT

mewalk707

tenuki wrote:It's kinda awesome. I guess I'll host a different NorCal gathering since I understand it'd be much better suited in wine country. If I can get my friends to stay out there will be really cool. I'd be up for buying a bottle of Angel Ice and donating it as I STILL haven't gotten any, even with the 50% off codes over the holidays. What a stupid I am.

I love this idea too. Tenuki, what about renting a house nearby for the night? You can host that, k!

MarkDaSpark

Nostrom0 wrote:So Scott is opening up his home to us, in absentia? Commence with the man-crush. Again.

What's with you NoCal people and your disorganization :p

Yes. He's great! When I visited with ddeudeg, bahwm, Cesare, and Kttest, he even offered to let us spend the night.

And to be honest, they don't have a Cheron-type planner up there. And if she was still going to D&D, believe me, this would have been set in stone last year. In November.

tenuki

MarkDaSpark wrote:Yes. He's great! When I visited with ddeudeg, bahwm, Cesare, and Kttest, he even offered to let us spend the night.

And to be honest, they don't have a Cheron-type planner up there. And if she was still going to D&D, believe me, this would have been set in stone last year. In November.

Yeah, given I'm habitually late to everything and never make lists or plans, not really an ideal organizer And I've talked about the above with Cat sometime last month, she laughed at us for having no plans.

At least part of it is that you guys are the ones coming out here though, so should really pick what you want to do. All I'm really looking at is places to stay and how big a place we might need :P

CT

mewalk707

Nostrom0 wrote:What's with you NoCal people and your disorganization :p

I would respond to this but it would require planning and forethought... so nevermind.

CAGrl

mewalk707 wrote:I would respond to this but it would require planning and forethought... so nevermind.

I'm really a planner, but being in south bay makes it kinda hard to plan. And taking the bar the week after makes it doubly hard. Otherwise, I would have volunteered myself.

javadrinker

quality posts: 4 Private Messages javadrinker

So I was gonna ask how far we are in the planning stages but then I read the entirely too short thread.

Sparky, awesome that the Harvey's are welcoming us in to their home. Great job with that.

Um...so now what?

Is everyone agreed that this will be the actual Saturday evening event?

Who is confirmed and who is still on the fence?

Anyone decided where they are staying yet?

Let's get this drunk show on the road!!!

And the path to drunken poverty continues... Java's Stash at CT

• Wine.woots: um, lost count.
  • Other woots: um, lost count too. I might have a problem.

Nostrom0

quality posts: 13 Private Messages Nostrom0
javadrinker wrote:
Um...so now what?

Let's get this drunk show on the road!!!

Nice to have you back from your girlfriend :p

Stash at CT

MarkDaSpark

Nostrom0 wrote:Nice to have you back from your girlfriend :p

She has custody on weekends and holidays ...

tenuki

Sorry, still hashing stuff out, I've kinda been going off the assumption people wouldn't want to pay more for a house, but then realized I have no idea how much a hotel room up there goes for anyway?

CT

MarkDaSpark

tenuki wrote:Sorry, still hashing stuff out, I've kinda been going off the assumption people wouldn't want to pay more for a house, but then realized I have no idea how much a hotel room up there goes for anyway?

Santa Rosa starts at $44 and goes up, but it's 15 miles or so away. (And over the mountain and thru the woods!!)

8 miles away in Calistoga is the Clarion Collection Lodge at Calistoga. $107 a night, with others in St. Helena (and Calistoga) higher.

Napa Travelodge starts around $54 a night. Holiday Inn Express (Cheron mentioned) is $89 a night, but in American Canyon.

MarkDaSpark

tenuki wrote:Sorry, still hashing stuff out, I've kinda been going off the assumption people wouldn't want to pay more for a house, but then realized I have no idea how much a hotel room up there goes for anyway?

Well? Or do we have to stay at the Travelodge?????

Also Java thought up a Theme of Scott Harvey vs. ...... basically pick a wine to go up against the wines of Scott's I've already paid for. Then we can add other Scott Harvey wines vs. others as we add people. Sound good?

tenuki

MarkDaSpark wrote:Well? Or do we have to stay at the Travelodge?????

Also Java thought up a Theme of Scott Harvey vs. ...... basically pick a wine to go up against the wines of Scott's I've already paid for. Then we can add other Scott Harvey wines vs. others as we add people. Sound good?

Sorry, I think j and worstveg will join us for Sat. but they want to go home that night and not join us for Sun. which means I'll take them back to Berkeley, so I'm probably not in on a house. I did keep checking and couldn't find anything that stood out anyway, the couple interesting things were already booked for that weekend, basically was checking craigslist and vrbo.com.

Can you add an Angel Ice to the order for me that we can have that night?

CT

javadrinker

MarkDaSpark wrote:Well? Or do we have to stay at the Travelodge?????

The "official" theme I came up with was "Scott Harvey versus the world". Same dealio as you described...I just like catchy phrases.

tenuki

javadrinker wrote:The "official" theme I came up with was "Scott Harvey versus the world". Same dealio as you described...I just like catchy phrases.

What was that quote? When it's you against the world, bet on the world :P I don't really drink riesling or syrah. The only barbera I know is a kinda cheap but pretty good one. Guess I'll bring a zin too

CT

javadrinker

tenuki wrote:What was that quote? When it's you against the world, bet on the world :P I don't really drink riesling or syrah. The only barbera I know is a kinda cheap but pretty good one. Guess I'll bring a zin too

So is this going to end up being SoCal #whatever or what? So far the only thing I know for sure is that Sparky, Nostrom0, Soochee, and I will be there. Oh and you and your +2 going home that night people. Oh and FairNymph. Oh and Mewalk. Oh and CaGirl. Oh and maybe Loweeel and his possee.

You're still outnumbered by So Cal wooters on a wooter to wooter basis.

So come on man, take some ownership and update this puppy. Summarize. Put it in an easy to digest format...like say, oh I don't know...the format everyone else has used for every single woot gathering since the creation of woot gatherings.

tenuki

javadrinker wrote:So is this going to end up being SoCal #whatever or what? So far the only thing I know for sure is that Sparky, Nostrom0, Soochee, and I will be there. Oh and you and your +2 going home that night people. Oh and FairNymph. Oh and Mewalk. Oh and CaGirl. Oh and maybe Loweeel and his possee.

You're still outnumbered by So Cal wooters on a wooter to wooter basis.

So come on man, take some ownership and update this puppy. Summarize. Put it in an easy to digest format...like say, oh I don't know...the format everyone else has used for every single woot gathering since the creation of woot gatherings.

But Sparky made his thread, and loweeel's making plans and I have no idea what they are, and Sparky's making plans and I have no idea what they are, or even the details of the SH thing really ... but fine, I'll try later to add some semblance of organization.

CT

MarkDaSpark

tenuki wrote:But Sparky made his thread, and loweeel's making plans and I have no idea what they are, and Sparky's making plans and I have no idea what they are, or even the details of the SH thing really ... but fine, I'll try later to add some semblance of organization.

Just use the reply feature on one of those posts, copy and paste it into your beginning post here. Make the changes, and Voila!

javadrinker

X-post from D&D thread:

javadrinker wrote:I went ahead and made my reservations to stay at the Clarion in Calistoga. I'm in for all events (barring hangovers) and hitting some of the Calistoga night life with whoever sticks around town after our woot gathering.

For a wine, I will bring the only other Barbera I have in my stash. It is a 2005 Ponte Family Estate Barbera California.

I'll see what else I have but I wanted to choose something for now to compare with SH's wine. Tick tick tick...tis almost time.