evanssm1

quality posts: 3 Private Messages evanssm1

Where: evanssm1 House (10 Min South of Dayton Dragons Stadium) (PM for address)
When: January 16th 2010 (Saturday) (7ish)
Wine: Wines That We Are Excited to Taste
Who will: evanssm1 +1, conroo +1, buckeye566, m5rammy +1, quinones4766 +1, GlendaCC +1, SoupRKnowva.
Who might: ahuesman, Vinyaernil, mjones4183 +4, Nostrom0, p2002.
Theme: The Wright Woot!

We will provide a nice variety of cheeses, crackers, veggies, and her favorite spinach bread bowl dip. Oh and of course we will provide a few select bottles of wine from previous woot offerings.

Original post: (I am some what new to the wine woot community and was wondering if anyone was up for a gathering before the weather turns bad on us. I am down near the Dayton area but willing to travel if most of you live up north. Any thoughts? )

(13) Woot Woots, (17) Shirt Woots, (10) Wine Woots, (2) Sellout Woot, (10) Kids Woot, (1) Deals Woot.
My Cellar
Ohio #2 Wine Tasting (Anyone In?)

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98

Doable from here for me (in MI). I'll keep an eye out and when y'all get something finalized, I'll see about making the trip!

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

evanssm1

Crickets.......... Anyone...Anyone...

(13) Woot Woots, (17) Shirt Woots, (10) Wine Woots, (2) Sellout Woot, (10) Kids Woot, (1) Deals Woot.
My Cellar

cjsiege

quality posts: 13 Private Messages cjsiege

Have some faith! I think it took Conroo a couple of months to get #1 set up.

ahuesman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ahuesman

I live just outside of Dayton in Waynesville and would be very interested in this idea. I have plenty of wine without enough wine drinking friends in the area to appreciate!

evanssm1

ahuesman wrote:I live just outside of Dayton in Waynesville and would be very interested in this idea. I have plenty of wine without enough wine drinking friends in the area to appreciate!

Well if nothing else you, your significant other (?), me and my fiance can get together for some wine and dinner. We, as you, have enough wine to drink a small army under the table and no one to enjoy it with.

If your in Waynesville we are no more that 25 to 30 min away.

My Cellar

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
cheron98 wrote:Doable from here for me (in MI). I'll keep an eye out and when y'all get something finalized, I'll see about making the trip!

Ditto here. A bit more of a drive than I would like from WNY, but to meet up with fellow wooters, it's always a possibility. Maybe someone will get one going up around Cleveland some time. That's definitely a doable drive.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

PghRiverRat

quality posts: 1 Private Messages PghRiverRat

I'm in the Akron area and could be interested if it's not too far. Also, I have found that the Woot Cellars offerings don't do much for me and if anyone wants to make an offer/trade I'm open. I have (3) Emergency Holiday Provisions, (1) Toothsteinn, plus(4) InZinerators, none of which I care for. Haven't tried the Boss Monster yet, I sure hope that does more for me than the others.

I like to cook with wine. In fact, I drank a bottle last night while cooking dinner!

tiger7610

quality posts: 17 Private Messages tiger7610

While I most likely will not be able to make it to the gathering unless the dates are favorable. I wouldnt mind taking some Inzinerator off your hands if any of the buffalo people end up going.

ahuesman

evanssm1 wrote:Well if nothing else you, your significant other (?), me and my fiance can get together for some wine and dinner. We, as you, have enough wine to drink a small army under the table and no one to enjoy it with.

If your in Waynesville we are no more that 25 to 30 min away.

I'm game for whatever. The wife is not a fan of any wine other than Port and she is a rare drinker of that. However, that won't stop us. We actually live near St Rt 48 and Rt 73 which is only about 5 miles south of downtown Centerville. We could potentially host a gathering as we have a nice sized wet bar in the basement... next to all the good vino.

evanssm1

ahuesman wrote:I'm game for whatever. The wife is not a fan of any wine other than Port and she is a rare drinker of that. However, that won't stop us. We actually live near St Rt 48 and Rt 73 which is only about 5 miles south of downtown Centerville. We could potentially host a gathering as we have a nice sized wet bar in the basement... next to all the good vino.

You know the saying that its a small world. I grew up about 5 minutes north of you and my oldest sister lives about 2 minutes west of you in Springboro. My Fiance also grew up in Centerville. We both look forward to meeting you.

My Cellar

cheron98

PghRiverRat wrote:I'm in the Akron area and could be interested if it's not too far. Also, I have found that the Woot Cellars offerings don't do much for me and if anyone wants to make an offer/trade I'm open. I have (3) Emergency Holiday Provisions, (1) Toothsteinn, plus(4) InZinerators, none of which I care for. Haven't tried the Boss Monster yet, I sure hope that does more for me than the others.

Give the Boss Monster a lot of air when you go for it. Like, pour it into a decanter about 3 hours before dinner. And then it MIGHT be ready to go for dinner Ridiculous beast.

ahuesman

evanssm1 wrote:You know the saying that its a small world. I grew up about 5 minutes north of you and my oldest sister lives about 2 minutes west of you in Springboro. My Fiance also grew up in Centerville. We both look forward to meeting you.

It is a small world. You probably know the area better than me as we moved here about 3 years ago from Xenia.

Did you have anything specific in mind for the wine tasting? This will be a first for me.

evanssm1

ahuesman wrote:It is a small world. You probably know the area better than me as we moved here about 3 years ago from Xenia.

Did you have anything specific in mind for the wine tasting? This will be a first for me.

Nothing specific as of right now. This would also be my first wine tasting (woot gathering at least.) I am very open to suggestions. I do have a magnum of 96 Pine Ridge Andrus Reserve that is ready to be tasted.

On another note. Is anyone going to the Arrow Wine (Centerville) annual tasting. There is a limit of 150 people and its on November 15th. I have gone the last two years and have been very impressed but it seems to be raising in price each year, surprise surprise.

My Cellar

PghRiverRat

quality posts: 1 Private Messages PghRiverRat
cheron98 wrote:Give the Boss Monster a lot of air when you go for it. Like, pour it into a decanter about 3 hours before dinner. And then it MIGHT be ready to go for dinner Ridiculous beast.

Thanks for the tip, I will do that. Might give it a try next week.

I like to cook with wine. In fact, I drank a bottle last night while cooking dinner!

Vinyaernil

quality posts: 10 Private Messages Vinyaernil

I'm new to wine, but I'd love to meet up with fellow wooters! I'm in Columbus.

There are no windows in my office. Top Secret Serious Business is top secret.

mjones4183

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mjones4183
evanssm1 wrote:I am some what new to the wine woot community and was wondering if anyone was up for a gathering before the weather turns bad on us. I am down near the Dayton area but willing to travel if most of you live up north. Any thoughts?

Dayton here also i got 4 who are interested

mjones4183

conroo

quality posts: 5 Private Messages conroo

Hey everybody! ConRoo here. I'd be a definite IN! Even though it's about a 2-1/2 hour drive. I have a friend in Springboro that I haven't seen in a long, long time, and I'm sure she would be willing to come with me!

Cheron, are you in Detroit? I could meet you on I-75 somewhere if you don't want such a long drive. I'm just West of Findlay on your route.

Columbus is another option. Centrally located for all Ohioians.

Date-wise, I doubt if I could find a date open until after the first of the year.

W:too many to count
WW:too many to count
SW:too many to count
SOW:too many to count

cjsiege

Hey conroo! I was hoping you'd cruise past and see the thread!

GlendaCC

quality posts: 0 Private Messages GlendaCC

I'm in Indiana, three hours from Dayton, which is my hometown. The family complains I don't visit enough, so if something were planned on a weekend, I would try to come. Chances are I'd have my boyfriend with me too. It'd be fun!

cheron98

conroo wrote:Cheron, are you in Detroit? I could meet you on I-75 somewhere if you don't want such a long drive. I'm just West of Findlay on your route.

Not in Detroit proper but I would be coming down I-75. But I don't mind the drive Pretty much anywhere in Ohio is a day trip, though I'd probably overnight it just so I'm not driving at midnight.

evanssm1

Looks like we have a good group of people interested in setting this up. Now we need to figure where and when and most importantly what to taste. Up for suggestions in all areas.

My Cellar

cheron98

evanssm1 wrote:Looks like we have a good group of people interested in setting this up. Now we need to figure where and when and most importantly what to taste. Up for suggestions in all areas.

What seems to work for most groups is for someone to spearhead and take charge, suggest a few dates and see what peoples availability is, suggest a place or two, and suggest a couple of theme ideas.

Otherwise you'll never get an agreement

conroo

Wh-o-o-o H-o-o-o! It looks like this might actually happen! :0)

When I organized OWWT#1 the biggest delay was in how often people actually checked the thread and responded. It is imperative, for the success of this event, that everyone check the tread — and comment — frequently.

evanssm1, are you still willing to host? If so, THANK YOU! If you cannot, can we find a suitable place, or is anybody else OK with stepping up? We will need to know what dates are available for the host. I'm looking at January as the best opportunity for me to attend. Delaying the date gives everyone a little time to arrange their schedules. Any date that month is doable for me, as of now.

I also believe we should stay orientated to the wine.woot offerings. After all, there is where this found love of wine and friendship has been fostered. Anybody have any Polyphemus left? It was drinking perfectly at the OWWT#1.

cheron, I thought you would be coming down I-75. I thought the company might be nice.

Let's do this ... count me in for me + 3.

evanssm1

conroo wrote:Wh-o-o-o H-o-o-o! It looks like this might actually happen! :0)

When I organized OWWT#1 the biggest delay was in how often people actually checked the thread and responded. It is imperative, for the success of this event, that everyone check the tread — and comment — frequently.

evanssm1, are you still willing to host? If so, THANK YOU! If you cannot, can we find a suitable place, or is anybody else OK with stepping up? We will need to know what dates are available for the host. I'm looking at January as the best opportunity for me to attend. Delaying the date gives everyone a little time to arrange their schedules. Any date that month is doable for me, as of now.

I also believe we should stay orientated to the wine.woot offerings. After all, there is where this found love of wine and friendship has been fostered. Anybody have any Polyphemus left? It was drinking perfectly at the OWWT#1.

cheron, I thought you would be coming down I-75. I thought the company might be nice.

Let's do this ... count me in for me + 3.

I just spoke with SWMBO and I got the thumbs up for hosting the event. I am in Dayton about 10 minutes south of the Dayton Dragons stadium. If this is to far for the majority let me know and we can try to find a good centralized location.

My Cellar

cheron98

conroo wrote:cheron, I thought you would be coming down I-75. I thought the company might be nice.

It's not you, it's me I'm a little bit of a control freak and when I don't have my own car and I'm not in control of my comings and goings, especially around new folk, I get really nervous and fidgety and a little pissy when I can't leave when I want or need to because of having to wait on someone else. Just ask java and Sparky - they got to experience that first hand I appreciate the offer, though, I really do!!

evanssm1

FYI 1: We have a spare bedroom that has never been used (future kids room) and a comfy couch for anyone that might be thinking about staying in town for the night. If you are the adventurous type there is plenty of room in the basement to set up a few blow up mattresses.

FYI 2: We do not have any kids but do have two medium size dogs (30#s), but they will either be locked upstairs in our bed room or we will have my parents take them for the weekend.

My Cellar

conroo

cheron98 wrote:It's not you, it's me I'm a little bit of a control freak and when I don't have my own car and I'm not in control of my comings and goings, especially around new folk, I get really nervous and fidgety and a little pissy when I can't leave when I want or need to because of having to wait on someone else. Just ask java and Sparky - they got to experience that first hand I appreciate the offer, though, I really do!!

I understand totally. I'm really the same way. Have car, will travel ... when I please.

conroo

evanssm1 wrote:I just spoke with SWMBO and I got the thumbs up for hosting the event. I am in Dayton about 10 minutes south of the Dayton Dragons stadium. If this is to far for the majority let me know and we can try to find a good centralized location.

Thank you for your generous offer. we have a location, now we need a date.

If January looks good, let's nail it down.

I'm good for any weekend except New Years Day.

GlendaCC

conroo wrote:Thank you for your generous offer. we have a location, now we need a date.

If January looks good, let's nail it down.

I'm good for any weekend except New Years Day.

Don't forget there's a long weekend in January for MLK Day (18th). Might be good for those coming from out of town?

The following weekend (23rd) is my birthday weekend, so I already have something booked that weekend. I otherwise don't think I have anything else scheduled in January.

GlendaCC

So I've never been to a woot wine tasting event. What do we bring or pay or do or whatever??

Besides taste/drink wine...
:-)

evanssm1

GlendaCC wrote:Don't forget there's a long weekend in January for MLK Day (18th). Might be good for those coming from out of town?

The following weekend (23rd) is my birthday weekend, so I already have something booked that weekend. I otherwise don't think I have anything else scheduled in January.

Ok so I am going to set this event for the 16th (Saturday) if that is ok with most people.

My Cellar

evanssm1

GlendaCC wrote:So I've never been to a woot wine tasting event. What do we bring or pay or do or whatever??

Besides taste/drink wine...
:-)

We will provide a variety of cheeses that should pair with the wine (depending on what we decide on).

This will be my first as well so I am not sure what is customary. Anyone want to step in and let us know what else is either expected or that we should prepare for.

My Cellar

conroo

evanssm1 wrote:Ok so I am going to set this event for the 17th (Saturday) if that is ok with most people.

I'm good for 1/17!

I've been waiting for the right time to share my '06 Wellington Noir de Noirs. This looks like the right time!

cjsiege

Don't forget to update the title of the thread and the first post to include the date! And as you work out more details, please put them into the first post, too. Makes it easier to find all the details when your thread gets to be 3 or 4 pages long. Trust me!

conroo

evanssm1 wrote:We will provide a variety of cheeses that should pair with the wine (depending on what we decide on).

This will be my first as well so I am not sure what is customary. Anyone want to step in and let us know what else is either expected or that we should prepare for.

Since we are just getting started, I think if everyone brings a bottle (purchased from w.woot) and some kind of snack-like food, we should be all set. We don't even have to be that elaborate with food. Some gatherings have been centered around pizza. One gathering was a group sailing event, and another was set at a very nice restaurant in Chicago.

Whatever happens ... happens. It's alll good!

For those of you that like to jet around, ahem ... Sparky ... Dayton has a very nice airport.

evanssm1

conroo wrote:
For those of you that like to jet around, ahem ... Sparky ... Dayton has a very nice airport.

We are willing to provide curb side pick up as well if that helps. Ok well I should say I am willing to provide curb side pick up, she might be teaching or something important, while I am "working" from home. You know how us sales guys are.

My Cellar

cheron98

conroo wrote:Since we are just getting started, I think if everyone brings a bottle (purchased from w.woot) and some kind of snack-like food, we should be all set. We don't even have to be that elaborate with food. Some gatherings have been centered around pizza. One gathering was a group sailing event, and another was set at a very nice restaurant in Chicago.

Whatever happens ... happens. It's alll good!

Good luck getting Sparky out somewhere it's even remotely cold in January His freezing point is at about 50 degrees!

I'm confused on the date - you say "1/17" and "Saturday" like they're the same day Did you mean 1/16? I don't get MLK day off, so if it's 1/17 (Sunday) I'll have to pass...

conroo

cheron98 wrote:

I'm confused on the date - you say "1/17" and "Saturday" like they're the same day Did you mean 1/16? I don't get MLK day off, so if it's 1/17 (Sunday) I'll have to pass...

I didn't even look at a calendar, just following evanssm1's lead. I assumed Saturday.

What say you evanssm1?

cheron98 wrote:Good luck getting Sparky out somewhere it's even remotely cold in January His freezing point is at about 50 degrees!

Well, I wouldn't want to be the one to put out his spark.

evanssm1

cheron98 wrote:I'm confused on the date - you say "1/17" and "Saturday" like they're the same day Did you mean 1/16? I don't get MLK day off, so if it's 1/17 (Sunday) I'll have to pass...

Good catch, yes I meant the 16th that Saturday. I as well do not get MRK day off so it will have to be that Saturday.

My Cellar