javadrinker

quality posts: 4 Private Messages javadrinker

Alright, as many of you know, those wacky New Yorkers Cesare and KTtest somehow took my Twitter winning luck to a whole new level and got themselves a trip to Kauai out of it...and no, I'm not jealous.

As part of the trip they need to get themselves to the West coast and that gives us the opportunity for yet another So Cal gathering. They are looking at tacking on a couple of days in So Cal either before or after their week in Hawaii. So that would be either 11/14 - 11/15 or 11/21 - 11/22. That gives us the perfect excuse for another So Cal tasting.

So let's show the East coasters that the West coasters aren't as laid back and lazy as we seem to be.

What is everyone's availability for either of those weekends? Can anyone host a woot gathering?

Let's get some feedback ASAP so Cesare and KT can finalize their flight arrangements.

Mahalo!!!

Edit: Ok, so upon further review we now have two separate back to back gatherings.

==========================================================

Last edited: 11/6/09 3:00 PM

THEME: Cesare and KT's Aloha Pitstop #1
WINE THEME: What does the CT community really know (CT wines rater 90+)
DATE: 11/20
TIME: 6pm+
HOST: Nostrom0 & Soochee

ATTENDEES LIST (so far):

1. Cesare
2. Kttest
3. Javadrinker
4. MarkDaSpark
5. Nostrom0
6. Soochee

MAYBES:

1. AndyDuncan
2. The Pencilthieves
3. The APW's
4. Kool

REGRETS:

1. Nallie
2. TimByrd
3. Clayfu
4. PSquishy +1
5. Madwine

==========================================================

THEME: Cesare and KT's Aloha Pitstop #2
WINE THEME: Have we been Parkerized? (Wines rated 90+ by Robert Parker only)
DATE: 11/21
TIME: 6pm+
HOST: Java

ATTENDEES LIST (so far):

1. Cesare
2. Kttest
3. Javadrinker
4. MarkDaSpark
5. TimByrd
6. Nallie
7. Clayfu

MAYBES:

1. Merbill + 1
2. Kool

REGRETS:

1. PSquishy +1
2. Madwine
3. Nostrom0
4. Soochee

And the path to drunken poverty continues... Java's Stash at CT

• Wine.woots: um, lost count.
  • Other woots: um, lost count too. I might have a problem.

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 178 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

Both are fine with me, but they might run into problems if they are going to Hawaii after the 22nd. Thanksgiving is the 26th, during the week right after the 21st/22nd.

I've heard where some or most airlines are putting an extra fee on flights around Thanksgiving (and Christmas/New Years). So they might need to check if there are fees if they fly back home on the 22nd or 23rd.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

Cesare

quality posts: 1588 Private Messages Cesare

We will be in Hawaii the week of Nov 16-20 so no worries about Thanksgiving, extra fees, etc. Just need to decide if we stop in ca the weekend before or after.

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus

If it's somewhere relatively close, I'm in! No more comps!!!

We need a theme. Wines from Hawaii? Just kidding!

Edit: Apparently, I'm going up to SF to see my soon-to-be-brother-in-law over the first weekend. However, please don't schedule it around that because you never know with me.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

Cesare

kylemittskus wrote:If it's somewhere relatively close, I'm in! No more comps!!!

We need a theme. Wines from Hawaii? Just kidding!

Edit: Apparently, I'm going up to SF to see my soon-to-be-brother-in-law over the first weekend. However, please don't schedule it around that because you never know with me.

Oh good, we'll definitely make it the first weekend then.
Just kidding. Would suck to miss you! Although... aren't you coming to nyc soon?

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

kylemittskus

Cesare wrote:Oh good, we'll definitely make it the first weekend then.
Just kidding. Would suck to miss you! Although... aren't you coming to nyc soon?

Right before Christmas, Danielle and I will be there. I think our dates are the 17th through the 23rd.

tommythecat78

quality posts: 18 Private Messages tommythecat78
javadrinker wrote:Alright, as many of you know, those wacky New Yorkers Cesare and KTtest somehow took my Twitter winning luck to a whole new level and got themselves a trip to Kauai out of it...and no, I'm not jealous.

As part of the trip they need to get themselves to the West coast and that gives us the opportunity for yet another So Cal gathering. They are looking at tacking on a couple of days in So Cal either before or after their week in Hawaii. So that would be either 11/14 - 11/15 or 11/21 - 11/22. That gives us the perfect excuse for another So Cal tasting.

So let's show the East coasters that the West coasters aren't as laid back and lazy as we seem to be.

What is everyone's availability for either of those weekends? Can anyone host a woot gathering?

Let's get some feedback ASAP so Cesare and KT can finalize their flight arrangements.

Mahalo!!!

Damn...thats a couple days after I leave SoCal!

___________________________________________________________________________________________
My Cellar (has not been updated in forever)
Do the people want fire that can be applied nasally? -Golgafrinchan Marketing Consultant

Cesare

tommythecat78 wrote:Damn...thats a couple days after I leave SoCal!

Stay longer Stay longer Stay longer
Maybe if I say it enough times it will happen!

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple

javadrinker

tommythecat78 wrote:Damn...thats a couple days after I leave SoCal!

Damnit man...unacceptable!!!!

What's your full on So Cal schedule?

tommythecat78

Cesare wrote:Stay longer Stay longer Stay longer

Would if I could.

javadrinker wrote:Damnit man...unacceptable!!!!

What's your full on So Cal schedule?

I get there Tues. the 10th, leave Thurs. afternoon.

___________________________________________________________________________________________
Do the people want fire that can be applied nasally? -Golgafrinchan Marketing Consultant

kttest

quality posts: 2 Private Messages kttest
Cesare wrote:Stay longer Stay longer Stay longer

I'll continue the chant....Stay longer Stay longer!

Thanks Java, so excited to come out there to see you guys!

- Krista
"Wine is the most civilized thing in the world." -Ernest Hemingway.
NYC Tastings Summary courtesy of HAK

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
kylemittskus wrote:Right before Christmas, Danielle and I will be there. I think our dates are the 17th through the 23rd.

If y'all set up a NYC tasting on like the 19th, I can be there too

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

javadrinker

tommythecat78 wrote:I get there Tues. the 10th, leave Thurs. afternoon.

Well I know we talked about doing some wine related thingamabob...what part of town are you staying in and what will your availability be to hang out and damage our livers?

tommythecat78

javadrinker wrote:Well I know we talked about doing some wine related thingamabob...what part of town are you staying in and what will your availability be to hang out and damage our livers?

West Hollywood. Either Tuesday night or Wednesday night works for me. I will probably need a ride though.

javadrinker

tommythecat78 wrote:West Hollywood. Either Tuesday night or Wednesday night works for me. I will probably need a ride though.

Not a prob on the ride. Budgetary constraints? Feel like a show or something or just dinner and then getting our drink on? Cirque du Soleil is in town in Santa Monica and discount tix are available. Sparky, you in?

MarkDaSpark

javadrinker wrote:Not a prob on the ride. Budgetary constraints? Feel like a show or something or just dinner and then getting our drink on? Cirque du Soleil is in town in Santa Monica and discount tix are available. Sparky, you in?

Of course. And there's a Fogo de Chão in Beverly Hills.

133 N. La Cienega Blvd., Beverly Hills, CA 90211
T: (310) 289.7755

Although dinner looks to be $56.50 plus drinks.

Hmmmm. There's also one in Scottsdale, which IIRC, is just outside Phoenix. So maybe next February during Arizona Wine.Woot gathering?

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

clayfu

quality posts: 10 Private Messages clayfu
MarkDaSpark wrote:Of course. And there's a Fogo de Chão in Beverly Hills.

Hmmmm. There's also one in Scottsdale, which IIRC, is just outside Phoenix. So maybe next February during Arizona Wine.Woot gathering?

$20 corkage rarely waived.. and the food is not much better than green fields! Plenty of great restaurants in West Ho also!

tommythecat78

MarkDaSpark wrote:Of course. And there's a Fogo de Chão in Beverly Hills.

javadrinker wrote:Not a prob on the ride. Budgetary constraints? Feel like a show or something or just dinner and then getting our drink on? Cirque du Soleil is in town in Santa Monica and discount tix are available. Sparky, you in?

Budgetary constraints I won't know until closer to the trip. More than likely a relaxing evening of dinner and wine drinking will be what the doctor ordered. Thursday afternoon begins the 3-day trek across the country back to Chi-town.

soochee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages soochee

I want to win a trip to Hawaii! Not fair, but super happy for you.

Nov 13-15 we'll be in Vegas for The Big Smoke (a Cigar Afficiando show). So Nov 21-22 is better for us, unless y'all want to go to Vegas ;)

Also Nov 7-8, we'll be in Napa with the NorCal wine.wooters if anyone wants to come with.

kylemittskus

So it soundslike the 2nd weekend when the new yorkers will be tan and/or burnt and mosquito bittten?

kttest

kylemittskus wrote:So it soundslike the 2nd weekend when the new yorkers will be tan and/or burnt and mosquito bittten?

hey hey hey bite your tongue!

Does the second weekend work for everyone? If so, we would arrive in Cali Thursday night (11/19)around 9:15pm and would plan on flying out on Sunday afternoon (11/22). We really should book our flights since its less than a month to go!

Oh and *looking at Java inparticular* I want to know where I get have some good Mexican food out there, I always hear how great it is in Cali, so I want to try some!

- Krista

kylemittskus

kttest wrote: Oh and *looking at Java inparticular* I want to know where I get have some good Mexican food out there, I always hear how great it is in Cali, so I want to try some!

That's racist! Where are you kids flying into/out of?

kttest

kylemittskus wrote:That's racist! Where are you kids flying into/out of?

Oh why, is Java Mexican? I just know he has excellent taste!

Most likely LAX since it has the most flight choices for us, but San Diego is also an option, so we were taking a look there as well.

- Krista

soochee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages soochee

Most of us are closer to LAX, especially since Nostrom0 and I live practically down the street from the airport. It'll be harder for us to get down to SD again since we just met Doc O down there.

If you want great Mexican food, you're coming to the right city. From taco trucks to gourmet fairs.

Second weekend best for us!

kylemittskus

soochee wrote:Most of us are closer to LAX, especially since Nostrom0 and I live practically down the street from the airport. It'll be harder for us to get down to SD again since we just met Doc O down there.

If you want great Mexican food, you're coming to the right city. From taco trucks to gourmet fairs.

What she said.

tommythecat78

kttest wrote:hey hey hey bite your tongue!

Does the second weekend work for everyone? If so, we would arrive in Cali Thursday night (11/19)around 9:15pm and would plan on flying out on Sunday afternoon (11/22). We really should book our flights since its less than a month to go!

Oh and *looking at Java inparticular* I want to know where I get have some good Mexican food out there, I always hear how great it is in Cali, so I want to try some!

As long as it is not called Taco Bell or Del Taco you should be safe. It is a lot harder to find bad Mexican fare than it is to find good.

kttest

soochee wrote:Most of us are closer to LAX, especially since Nostrom0 and I live practically down the street from the airport. It'll be harder for us to get down to SD again since we just met Doc O down there.

Awesome, thanks! I can't wait!

- Krista

kttest

tommythecat78 wrote:As long as it is not called Taco Bell or Del Taco you should be safe. It is a lot harder to find bad Mexican fare than it is to find good.

I have heard that, that's the one thing we don't really have in NY which I wish we did!

- Krista

javadrinker

The original post has been edited to note our revised date for the gathering as well as put up the standard "who's in" list.

Psquishy, wasn't sure if you were in or just thinking about it based on your posts so I put you as a maybe for now.

zTimothyBz

quality posts: 2 Private Messages zTimothyBz

I can host on the 21st, but won't be home from class until 7:30, perhaps Sparky or Java could be over earlier to welcome guests. (And/or convince certain other friends to cook up a feast.)

tommythecat78 wrote:I get there Tues. the 10th, leave Thurs. afternoon.

One possibility for something unusual might be the Silent Movie Theater and Ethiopian food. (They don't have their calendar up for that week, yet, though.)

-- T

Official holder of unofficial, unauthorized, non-woot gatherings.
My cellar

kylemittskus

zTimothyBz wrote:I can host on the 21st, but won't be home from class until 7:30, perhaps Sparky or Java could be over earlier to welcome guests. (And/or convince certain other friends to cook up a feast.)

Where do you live Senior Tim?

MarkDaSpark

kylemittskus wrote:Where do you live Senior Tim?

Lakewood, close off the 605.

kylemittskus

Just bumping.

Theme ideas?

nallie

quality posts: 8 Private Messages nallie

I'm in.

"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all." - h.keller
"If you can do something about it, there is no need to worry. If you cannot do anything about it, there is no use in worrying." - j.white (and also Shantideva)

kylemittskus

nallie wrote:I'm in.

In for what and when? And what are we to drink while we are wherever we are to be?

nallie

kylemittskus wrote:In for what and when? And what are we to drink while we are wherever we are to be?

In for this (Cesare and KT's Aloha Pitstop) then (11/21), regardless of where (LOCATION: TBD) and what (WINE THEME: TBD).

Looking forward to meeting you, Psquishy.

"If you can do something about it, there is no need to worry. If you cannot do anything about it, there is no use in worrying." - j.white (and also Shantideva)

tommythecat78

nallie wrote:In for this (Cesare and KT's Aloha Pitstop) then (11/21), regardless of where (LOCATION: TBD) and what (WINE THEME: TBD).

Looking forward to meeting you, Psquishy.

And what about my brief visit to your wonderful state...hmmmmm?

nallie

tommythecat78 wrote:And what about my brief visit to your wonderful state...hmmmmm?

Would love, love, love to meet you, Tthe, but it's a long shot. The Wednesday you're in town is out of the question (my daughter's birthday) but Tuesday the 10th might maybe possibly conceivably work since there is no school on the 11th. I'll see about getting a sitter as it gets closer.

tommythecat78

nallie wrote:Would love, love, love to meet you, Tthe, but it's a long shot. The Wednesday you're in town is out of the question (my daughter's birthday) but Tuesday the 10th might maybe possibly conceivably work since there is no school on the 11th. I'll see about getting a sitter as it gets closer.

Thats good because it is looking like Tuesday will be my wine.woot day.

nallie

tommythecat78 wrote:Thats good because it is looking like Tuesday will be my wine.woot day.

Seriously? Well, perhaps it's kismet then. I'll do my best. Try to convince those crazy Orange and LA county boys to take you somewhere south like Dana Point or San Clemente or Carlsbad, and it will become exponentially more likely.