darlenee1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages darlenee1

So, our last "tasting" was in August at the FREAKING AWESOME clambake. I thought now would be a good time to start planning the next one, since I have such a freaking great time hanging out and drinking wine with you guys. Look at the link below and speak up about what you'd like to bring from the list of suggested drinking

Theme: Iconic American Wines

Date: 2/27

Time: 6:00
Place: polarbear's lovely home near Hartford, CT

Attending:
darlenee1 with
my awesome husband
polarbear22
pb's lovely wife
dsapp
dsapp's +1
mother
edthebedhead

Wines:
darlenee1: '06 Schramsberg Blanc de Noirs
darlene's awesome hubby Steve: Ridge Three Valleys
PB: 1998 Joseph Phelps Cab
PB: Oregon pinot noir
dsapp: 08 Kinero Roussanne Rustler James Berry Vineyard
dsapp's lovely +1:'08 Jaffurs Syrah
mother:
edthebedhead:

Food:
Pb: awesome sounding chicken
Darlene: chocolate mousse, and something snacky tbd
dsapp: bread (with olives, perhaps)

Ran out of room for the wines, and can't think of a good quote for now

darlenee1

......(crickets)

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22

I missed the start of this thread. Sorry.

Assuming we want a couple weeks lead time, I do not have any conflicts except 11/14.

So let's throw out some dates, etc.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

darlenee1

November, as it stands for me, is wide open. December is pretty much out, then January opens back up, if we have to push it that far. I'll message Adam on Facebook to get in here and chat.

darlenee1

An FYI, Restaurant Week is in New Haven early November. I highly recommend Miya's

bahwm

quality posts: 26 Private Messages bahwm
darlenee1 wrote:An FYI, Restaurant Week is in New Haven early November. I highly recommend Miya's

Of course you do! Me too.

If only New Haven wasn't so far away . . . but, who knows?

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

darlenee1

bahwm wrote:Of course you do! Me too.

If only New Haven wasn't so far away . . . but, who knows?

bahwm

Hey, Connecticut! Wake up out there. Buffalo's almost sneaking another one in before you guys are! Of course, you are welcome to join us for the wine tasting/spa weekend MLK weekend. Should be fun! Details are still a bit sketchy. But, check out our forum.

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

polarbear22

Sorry. Things were bouncing around. Surgery on the shoulder on 11/20, so out for a little while with that. And then holidays. I am out for MLK weekend, as that is our parish retreat.

So later in January or early February will work. I think I can get SWMBO to agree to hosting.

And, are there any nutmeggers thinking of going to the Buffalo tasting. I have a case of wine that wants to get to Buffalo.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
My Cellar

darlenee1

Well, I don;t have a new calendar yet, but I'm sure Feb is wide open as it stands right now. January can be a little harder, but let's start throwing out dates and see what works for people.

darlenee1

So, just had dinner with mother and others, and he wants to have a get together soon! Anyone want to come over and brew and drink wine and stuff Saturday, November 28th? Let me know

bahwm

darlenee1 wrote:Well, I don;t have a new calendar yet, but I'm sure Feb is wide open as it stands right now. January can be a little harder, but let's start throwing out dates and see what works for people.

D, don't your computer or your phone have calendars?

bahwm

darlenee1 wrote:So, just had dinner with mother and others, and he wants to have a get together soon! Anyone want to come over and brew and drink wine and stuff Saturday, November 28th? Let me know

Would love to, but we have other plans for that weekend already.

rpm

quality posts: 168 Private Messages rpm
darlenee1 wrote:So, just had dinner with mother and others, and he wants to have a get together soon! Anyone want to come over and brew and drink wine and stuff Saturday, November 28th? Let me know

We'll be in California that weekend; probably in Napa.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

polarbear22

rpm wrote:We'll be in California that weekend; probably in Napa.

[green font]Had to say where you where going?[/green font]

Sounds like a family Thanksgiving. Enjoy

My Cellar

darlenee1

bahwm wrote:D, don't your computer or your phone have calendars?

Well, yeah. But I need to write everything in my dayplanner, or it's not officially happening

polarbear22

I doubt I will be driving by then. And my daughter will be here. So I want to, but unlikely that I will be able.

My Cellar

cjsiege

quality posts: 13 Private Messages cjsiege

*bump* I'll shift the TBD to February.

darlenee1

So, we're looking at sometime in February, right guys? Or is it January? As it stands right now, I am wide open. And I have a theme idea, Iconic American Wines, which I stole form the NOVA Black Friday tasting thread (thanks for the link, tripgrad). So, what say you Connecticut and Connecticut area wooters?

bahwm

Oh, darlene, you're so sweet thinking of us Buffalonians for President's Week. We would love to come. However, we will be going to New Orleans on Mon. Feb. 15th - Fri. the 19th. We'll be there for Mardi Gras and celebrating our First Wedding Anniversary!

rwheeler

quality posts: 5 Private Messages rwheeler

I'm relatively new to wine.woot (and wines in generally, honestly), but I live in CT. What do these tastings usually entail? Depending what my schedule looks like, I may be interested in learning more from a group of presumably knowledgeable people.

polarbear22

rwheeler wrote:I'm relatively new to wine.woot (and wines in generally, honestly), but I live in CT. What do these tastings usually entail? Depending what my schedule looks like, I may be interested in learning more from a group of presumably knowledgeable people.

The tastings are low key, especially what we have done in CT. Usually, everyone, or about everyone, brings a bottle of wine for the group to try. Those that don't bring wine, bring some food.

We try to put together a tasting order. And then anyone that wants to comment on the wines can. Others like to just taste and give the wine a "thumbs up, thumbs down" rating.

We need to schedule a date. So let's hear some chatter around 2/27, 3/6 or 3/13. I have been remiss in trying to get something started, but we have been too busy to host.

My Cellar

cjsiege

quality posts: 13 Private Messages cjsiege
rwheeler wrote:I'm relatively new to wine.woot (and wines in generally, honestly), but I live in CT. What do these tastings usually entail? Depending what my schedule looks like, I may be interested in learning more from a group of presumably knowledgeable people.

In general? Bring a glass. Bring a wine. Share with friends.

(hey - Wine.Woot gatherings in 9 words! Must go modify my thread.)

rwheeler

quality posts: 5 Private Messages rwheeler

Hahah, thanks. I'll keep it in mind.

darlenee1

polarbear22 wrote:The tastings are low key, especially what we have done in CT. Usually, everyone, or about everyone, brings a bottle of wine for the group to try. Those that don't bring wine, bring some food.

We try to put together a tasting order. And then anyone that wants to comment on the wines can. Others like to just taste and give the wine a "thumbs up, thumbs down" rating.

We need to schedule a date. So let's hear some chatter around 2/27, 3/6 or 3/13. I have been remiss in trying to get something started, but we have been too busy to host.

When I get home tonight I'll check my calendar, but I think all dates work for me. Any thoughts on my tentative theme?

philct

quality posts: 1 Private Messages philct
darlenee1 wrote:When I get home tonight I'll check my calendar, but I think all dates work for me. Any thoughts on my tentative theme?

Mr and Mrs philct could make the 27th or the 3rd if you all would have some new wootermaniacs...

[img]

mother

quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother
polarbear22 wrote:

At the moment any of those look doable.

darlenee1

darlenee1 wrote:When I get home tonight I'll check my calendar, but I think all dates work for me. Any thoughts on my tentative theme?

Yep, they are all good for me. But we must decide soon, as my calendar fills up freaky fast.

polarbear22

philct wrote:Mr and Mrs philct could make the 27th or the 3rd if you all would have some new wootermaniacs...

Just looked again. Do you mean the 13th or the 6th of March?

My Cellar

mother

quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother
polarbear22 wrote:Just looked again. Do you mean the 13th or the 6th of March?

Imma guess he meant 2/27 or 3/6.

dsapp

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dsapp

We can do 2/27.

polarbear22

Everyone who has responded can make the 27th, so let's set the date as the 27th.

Last time we tried a theme, it didn't work all that well. So I am thinking something open-ended, like a favorite bottle kind of thing. Thoughts?

My Cellar

darlenee1

polarbear22 wrote:Everyone who has responded can make the 27th, so let's set the date as the 27th.

Last time we tried a theme, it didn't work all that well. So I am thinking something open-ended, like a favorite bottle kind of thing. Thoughts?

I thought the Spanish theme worked out great! I'm cool with whatever, but still like the iconic wines theme

polarbear22

darlenee1 wrote:I thought the Spanish theme worked out great! I'm cool with whatever, but still like the iconic wines theme

I was disappointed in my wines. That is probably why I felt it didn't work.

What would the "iconic" wines be? Are you thinking big names like Mondavi?

And add Philct and Mrs. Philct to the attendees. They said they could make it.

My Cellar

darlenee1

polarbear22 wrote:I was disappointed in my wines. That is probably why I felt it didn't work.

What would the "iconic" wines be? Are you thinking big names like Mondavi?

And add Philct and Mrs. Philct to the attendees. They said they could make it.

Check out my post about midway down the page. I stole the idea from a DC gathering. I guess I liked the Spanish wine theme because one I brought was so awesome. Now I keep seeing it on all these lists as a great wine for the money like in Wine Spectator and such.

polarbear22

darlenee1 wrote:Check out my post about midway down the page. I stole the idea from a DC gathering. I guess I liked the Spanish wine theme because one I brought was so awesome. Now I keep seeing it on all these lists as a great wine for the money like in Wine Spectator and such.

Yeah, your Spanish wine was one of the best. And I really like Spanish wine, so having so many poor bottles was frustrating.

Got you on the iconic wines. I think you should edit that into the first thread and we can work from there.

My Cellar

darlenee1

polarbear22 wrote:Yeah, your Spanish wine was one of the best. And I really like Spanish wine, so having so many poor bottles was frustrating.

Got you on the iconic wines. I think you should edit that into the first thread and we can work from there.

Done! I'll probably bring a bottle of sparkling like the suggested Iron Horse or Schramsberg.

philct

quality posts: 1 Private Messages philct
polarbear22 wrote:Just looked again. Do you mean the 13th or the 6th of March?

rough work week.. i meant feb 27 or march.. but it doesn't matter as the 27th was picked eh!!

[img]

darlenee1

So, I picked up the Schramsberg 2007 Blanc De Noirs (I think, operating from memory here at work)for the tasting! Just three weeks away, so whomever is coming should start piping in.

wombativ

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wombativ

So I saw a job posting for an assistant winemaker in CT on the Davis job site. Then I looked at their website and was reminded of what varietals grow there. Suffice to say that despite my family's wishes, I don't think I'll be returning to CT from CA to make wine any time soon. Plus I'm kind of looking forward to another year of being a harvest bum (Napa, Australia, maybe a stop in NZ). I'll hit you guys up next time I'm in the land of the Charter Oak Tree...