kttest

quality posts: 2 Private Messages kttest

So we have fallen behind and have not had a proper tasting since....The Mondavi Tasting...back in May?!

UPDATED AS OF 11/3/09

DATE: Saturday, November 7th
WHERE: kttest & Cesare's
POUR TIME: 4pm
ARRIVAL TIME: between 3:30 and 3:45
THEME: Left vs. Right Bank Bordeaux

For those of you who joined us for the Viva Italia Tasting you know that we don't have a lot of room, so we'd like to limit it to a max. of 16 people.

ATTENDEE MAX REACHED WAIT LIST AVAILABLE:
1. kttest -- food/wine
2. Cesare -- wine/food
3. Krugsters - wine
4. Shamer
5. afranke - food/wine
6. bmckenna - wine
7. HitAnyKey - wine
8. fdiaz01 - wine
9. fdiaz01 +1
10.rpm -- wine
12.PetiteSirah
13.dsapp - wine/food
14.dsapp +1 - wine
15.wootified - wine
16.speedoo - wine

WAITING LIST:
1. askthepaperclip

REGRETS:
gijose
Polarbear22
thatguy314
canonizer
darleene1
wootified +1
rpm +1

***12 WINES MAX***

LEFT BANK:
1996 Château Léoville Poyferré, Médoc, St. Julien -- bmkenna
2006 Château Prieuré-Lichine, Médoc, Margaux -- fdiaz01
2000 Château La Lagune, Haut-Médoc -- Cesare
1983 Château Cos d'Estournel, Médoc, St. Estèphe -- RPM
1976 Château Haut-Bages Libéral Pauillac -- kttest
2000 Château Olivier, Graves, Pessac-Léognan -- afranke
1986 Château Talbot Médoc, St. Julien -- speedo

RIGHT BANK:
1997 Château L'Arrosée, St. Émilion Grand Cru -- Krugsters
2006 Château Montviel, Libournais, Pomerol -- wife of dsapp
2000 Château La Vieille Cure, Libournais, Fronsac -- wootified

WHITES:
2005 Reignac Blanc, Bordeaux Contrôlée -- HAK
2006 Château de Callac Blanc -- speeedo

DESSERT:
2005 Château Doisy-Védrines, Sauternais, Sauternes -- dsapp

FOOD:
cheese -- afranke
Roquefort -- dsapp
Escargot -- Cesare
Pate -- kttest
cheese/bread -- speeedo

- Krista
"Wine is the most civilized thing in the world." -Ernest Hemingway.
NYC Tastings Summary courtesy of HAK

Krugsters

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Krugsters

November might be better for us but we're in.

How about Burgundy?

afranke

quality posts: 10 Private Messages afranke

I'm in for 11/7. On 10/24 I'll be at a conference in Reims :D

Cesare

quality posts: 1673 Private Messages Cesare
afranke wrote:I'm in for 11/7. On 10/24 I'll be at a conference in Reims :D

Ooh we might have to turn this into a champagne tasting!

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

kttest

afranke wrote:I'm in for 11/7. On 10/24 I'll be at a conference in Reims :D

ooh you can bring something back!

- Krista

canonizer

quality posts: 22 Private Messages canonizer

Both of these work for me currently.

signed.

gijose

quality posts: 4 Private Messages gijose

Med school probably impossible to find a good date for me, especially since I'm up in Westchester now.

NYC!

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42

Just noticed the thread, which is funny cuz if I didn't have such a crazy weekend I actually thought about starting one the end of last week. Ya beat me to it, Krista.

Count me in. As far as I know, both dates work for me too. As for theme, the only thing I request is that whatever it be is something that I can locate a wine that is currently in my cellar. I really need reasons to open up more of my current inventory.
If we do France again I do have one bottle from Loire, but nothing at all from Burgundy.

The last handful of tastings have been "region" type themes. Are there any other types of themes that would bring more diversity to the tasting anyone can think of?

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

kttest

gijose wrote:Med school probably impossible to find a good date for me, especially since I'm up in Westchester now.

Sorry to hear that, hope med school is going well! If anything changes let us know.

- Krista

kttest

HitAnyKey42 wrote:Just noticed the thread, which is funny cuz if I didn't have such a crazy weekend I actually thought about starting one the end of last week. Ya beat me to it, Krista.

Count me in. As far as I know, both dates work for me too. As for theme, the only thing I request is that whatever it be is something that I can locate a wine that is currently in my cellar. I really need reasons to open up more of my current inventory.
If we do France again I do have one bottle from Loire, but nothing at all from Burgundy.

The last handful of tastings have been "region" type themes. Are there any other types of themes that would bring more diversity to the tasting anyone can think of?

So how about we call this tasting "Compliments of Eric's Cellar"

Personally I have liked the Spain and Itlay theme tastings, I thought it really opened my eyes to the differences within each region. Not to say that another theme wouldn't be good, I'm just not having any other ideas at the moment.

- Krista

fdiaz01

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fdiaz01

count me in +1. i think Nov will be better for us. ill think some more about the themes and get back....

kttest

fdiaz01 wrote:count me in +1. i think Nov will be better for us. ill think some more about the themes and get back....

Great! Since 11/7 is better for those that have replied, including us, I am taking 10/24 off the table and confirming 11/7 as the date.

- Krista

kttest

So this would be our 13th tasting and I can only remember a handful of the themes we have done thus far.

Eric, do you have links to all the previous threads? Rememebring past themes may help us with future ones. Just a thought.

- Krista

afranke

Theme Ideas:

Except for a few bottles at "Trekking for Wine" and one of the dessert wines RPM contributed at "Diabetic's Dilemma," I don't think we've ever had anything from the southern hemisphere, let alone a theme. Perhaps a "Shellback tasting?"

Since November is traditionally election month, maybe a "Left vs. Right (Bank)" Bordeaux tasting?

It's a bit late (even the wrong end of October), but an Oktoberfest of German wines?

Personally, I can't protest a Burgundy tasting at all. But throw in that both white and red Burgundy are great for pairing with a traditional Thanksgiving meal, and this tasting could be a prelude to the holiday. Or expand it to Pinot Noir and/or Chardonnay in general.

Fall is here and the colors are changing, so perhaps we can see how many "red - rose - blanc de noirs" trios we can dig up for different varietals? This would be a tricky one to organize...

We've yet to do any single varietal tastings. After the Mondavi super-vertical, some horizontal flight in a specific year might be interesting.

Krugsters

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Krugsters
afranke wrote:Theme Ideas:

Except for a few bottles at "Trekking for Wine" and one of the dessert wines RPM contributed at "Diabetic's Dilemma," I don't think we've ever had anything from the southern hemisphere, let alone a theme. Perhaps a "Shellback tasting?"

Since November is traditionally election month, maybe a "Left vs. Right (Bank)" Bordeaux tasting?

It's a bit late (even the wrong end of October), but an Oktoberfest of German wines?

Personally, I can't protest a Burgundy tasting at all. But throw in that both white and red Burgundy are great for pairing with a traditional Thanksgiving meal, and this tasting could be a prelude to the holiday. Or expand it to Pinot Noir and/or Chardonnay in general.

Fall is here and the colors are changing, so perhaps we can see how many "red - rose - blanc de noirs" trios we can dig up for different varietals? This would be a tricky one to organize...

We've yet to do any single varietal tastings. After the Mondavi super-vertical, some horizontal flight in a specific year might be interesting.

FANTASTIC ideas A! I love the Left Bank/Right Bank idea.
Also, how about Australia? We've haven't had anything from there.

rpm

quality posts: 177 Private Messages rpm

Put us down rpm + swmbo

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

kttest

rpm wrote:Put us down rpm + swmbo

Great!

Krugsters wrote:FANTASTIC ideas A! I love the Left Bank/Right Bank idea.

Very good ideas! Either would be interesting.

- Krista

HitAnyKey42

Krugsters wrote:FANTASTIC ideas A! I love the Left Bank/Right Bank idea.

I could go for Left Bank/Right Bank. I do have a ton of Bordeaux, and I'm sure I gotta have some nice good ones too in my mix. Would just need to google up how to know which ones are left or right.

I could also do Australia too. Even got an 2004 Massena Durif Howling Dog I could bring.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

rpm

quality posts: 177 Private Messages rpm
HitAnyKey42 wrote:I could go for Left Bank/Right Bank. I do have a ton of Bordeaux, and I'm sure I gotta have some nice good ones too in my mix. Would just need to google up how to know which ones are left or right.

I could also do Australia too. Even got an 2004 Massena Durif Howling Dog I could bring.

I think I'd prefer Bordeaux to Australia - I just don't buy much Australian wine anymore.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

PetiteSirah

quality posts: 80 Private Messages PetiteSirah

I'm in, subject to cancellation as always for the next decade. I have almost no bordeaux that's ready to drink.

How about PS? California Heritage wines (also inc. Zin, Mourved, Charb, Carig)? Tannins?

Hail the victor, the king without flaw
Salute your new master ... Petite Sirah!

"Who has two thumbs and loves Petite Sirah?" ThisGuy!

dsapp

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dsapp

Please count us in.

dsapp + wife of dsapp

Can't wait!

darlenee1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages darlenee1

I plan on attending. I have class until 2:00 on Saturdays, so if this is an early afternoon thing I will rescind my rsvp ;)

Ran out of room for the wines, and can't think of a good quote for now

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22

Too bad I kept reading that as "Oklahoma Folks".

Truthfully, I would have loved to make it, but we have a conflict. I know that it will be great as usual, especially with Krista and Cesare as hosts.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

bmckenna

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bmckenna

Is this where I was being summoned to, Krista? If so, I'm in for the 7th...lock up that last spot for me, if it's open.

kttest

polarbear22 wrote:Too bad I kept reading that as "Oklahoma Folks".

Truthfully, I would have loved to make it, but we have a conflict. I know that it will be great as usual, especially with Krista and Cesare as hosts.

Does that mean you wouldn't have been interested had it been Oklahoma?? Sorry you can't make it, maybe next time!

- Krista

kttest

bmckenna wrote:Is this where I was being summoned to, Krista? If so, I'm in for the 7th...lock up that last spot for me, if it's open.

yay, you found it....I wanted to make sure you were aware what was going on . You got spot #16.

- Krista

speedoo

quality posts: 41 Private Messages speedoo

Sadly, I will have to miss this. I will be in either Seattle or Portland on that day.

Nothing in October, I guess?

fdiaz01

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fdiaz01

A Pinot Noir (open to every region/country; some nice stuff coming out of Austria and Germany BTW) or a left bank/right bank bordeaux theme sounds good to me

wootified

quality posts: 5 Private Messages wootified

doh! never check the forums often enough for these.

Plz add me +1 to waiting list if possible, thanks

P.S. I've stopped keeping this up to date
Woot:75 Sell:15 Kids:12 Shirts:0 Wine:44

HitAnyKey42

We're about a month away. We should start nailing down the theme. Those that haven't spoken up, do so.

Multiple people have suggested (or agreed to) the Left vs Right Bank Bordeaux.
Loweeel (aka PetiteSirah) is so far the only one who would rather not (since he doesn't have much bordeaux ready to drink). His suggestions have been California Heritage or PS (surprise surprise) or "Tannins" (surprise surprise, again)...
Australia has been mentioned, though rpm would rather not.
fdiaz mentioned a Pinot Noir tasting, but personally I'm not sure I'm too keen on a tasting of just PN's.
afranke added in southern hemisphere as a suggestion.

Ok, I think that sums up all the main suggestions so far.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

HitAnyKey42

Oh, and we also need to pick the time so people can plan. The mid-afternoon ones are always nice cuz those that travel from afar can then not have to worry about having to travel back home late at night. Plus people can have plans for the night as well. I know I for one, would probably like to be able to do so.
So if we could aim for something in the 1-4pm range, that would be my preference.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

kttest

My vote is for Left vs Right Bank Bordeaux.

How about a 4pm pour time?

- Krista

darlenee1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages darlenee1
kttest wrote:My vote is for Left vs Right Bank Bordeaux.

That would work best for me, since I leave from Waterbury at 1:30 (damn school!). I have no preference for the wine selection. Just tell me which bank to bring, if that's what we're doing, and I'll get something.

Ran out of room for the wines, and can't think of a good quote for now

HitAnyKey42

kttest wrote:My vote is for Left vs Right Bank Bordeaux.

Personally I'd vote for earlier since I'd most likely want to head on into the city after we're done, but I could live with 4 if I need to. So I guess it'll come down to if anyone else actually needs it to be earlier.
rpm & dsapp are people we really need to hear from, as they have the furthest distances to travel to get back home after the tasting. rpm often needs to leave early when we have the later starts, and we really don't want to do that to him again.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

kttest

HitAnyKey42 wrote:Personally I'd vote for earlier since I'd most likely want to head on into the city after we're done, but I could live with 4 if I need to. So I guess it'll come down to if anyone else actually needs it to be earlier.
rpm & dsapp are people we really need to hear from, as they have the furthest distances to travel to get back home after the tasting. rpm often needs to leave early when we have the later starts, and we really don't want to do that to him again.

I'm hoping not to start too early, as I'd need some time to get the house in order.

- Krista

afranke

kttest wrote:I'm hoping not to start too early, as I'd need some time to get the house in order.

Ditto, but my reason is more college football-related.

kttest

Also, if we have, lets say 10 wines, we could be done by 8pm, leaving those who want to go out or head home, plenty of time to do so. The trick is to actually have the tasting order set up before the start time and the actual pouring/tasting starts at 4! We haven't mastered this concept yet, but there's a first time for everything!

If we go with Left vs. Right Bank, we should have 5 of each and anyone not bringing a wine can bring some food.

- Krista

HitAnyKey42

10 (though I think we can go 12 without too much issue) sounds like a good idea. That leaves Lowell to be able to bring food item if he wants, since he mentioned he has “almost no bordeaux that’s ready to drink”. I think the 12 people bringing wines, 4 people bringing food sounds like the best ratio to me, IMHO. Pretty much allows most of the people with +1’s to bring one wine and one thing of food item.
As a reminder, with regards to cheese, GourmetLibrary is now open and is offering free shipping through at least the end of this month. So a “food” person could order up some cheese and get it with no shipping & no tax. Just a suggestion, as that way we get more cheese for the money.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

HitAnyKey42

PetiteSirah wrote:I'm in, subject to cancellation as always for the next decade. I have almost no bordeaux that's ready to drink.

Btw, you do have a bottle of bordeaux ready to drink.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

dsapp

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dsapp

Starting at 4 works for us. Actually, we have a local cheese shop that just opened (it's quite good!), so we don't mind bringing food if you guys decide that 10-12 bottles is enough. We also don't mind chipping in with someone who wants to buy a bottle. Whatever you decide.

Can't wait.