Corrado

quality posts: 130 Private Messages Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

Torii Mor “Deux Verres” Reserve Pinot
$49.99 + $7.00 shipping
Condition: Red
Product:
2 2006 “Deux Verres” Reserve Pinot Noir

CT link above. Avg. price in CT north of $40 per bottle.

Corrado's Training Blog @ http://DrawnOutsideTheLinesOfReason.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/Corrado

It's not my fault that I love Gatzby! He's such a pretty, pretty "man."

Cesare

quality posts: 1560 Private Messages Cesare

Winery Website

Torii Mor on Twitter
Torii Mor on Facebook
Torii Mor on Yelp

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

jwhite6114

quality posts: 119 Private Messages jwhite6114

How good is this deal?

The summer of deals is apparently not over yet, cuz this is another sizzler.

Click the link above for full discount details, CT prices and links, etc.

CT | | | | | |

NedDawg

quality posts: 34 Private Messages NedDawg

Wine Spectator review:
TORII MOR
Pinot Noir Willamette Valley Deux Verres Reserve 2006
Score: 89
Release Price: $45
Ripe and a bit aggressive, with a mild grip of tannin and a sharp edge to the rhubarb and cherry flavors, finishing with some silk to the texture. Best from 2009 through 2012. 981 cases made. –HS

gcdyersb

quality posts: 141 Private Messages gcdyersb

What's the drinking window on these? Are they more approachable now, or built for the long haul?

These look good, at any rate. Kind of between the Oregon & single vineyard bottlings in price and selection of favored barrels according to their website.

Cabernet Franc: it's not just for blending! It's also for blogging.

saxwizerd45

quality posts: 9 Private Messages saxwizerd45

Winemaker has a pretty interesting bio... this is supposed to be very Burgundian?

It is well to remember that there are five reasons for drinking: the arrival of a friend; one's present or future thirst; the excellence of the wine; or any other reason.

soliver

quality posts: 27 Private Messages soliver

I've spent the last few months with wines from Washington and Oregon and this winery was one of my favorites. I tried the '07 Olalla Pinot and was very pleased, which is no mean trick for me.

mplarkin

quality posts: 12 Private Messages mplarkin

Yes!!! Virginia is ON THE LIST!

I have no idea what's going on, but I'm IN.

And I wouldn't mind being a rat one bit.

hld1970

quality posts: 16 Private Messages hld1970

Wine Advocate review:

Torii Mor 2006 "Deux Verres" Reserve Pinot Noir

90 pts - "Dark ruby-colored, it reveals aromas of damp earth, tobacco, spice box, and cherry. Supple textured with good depth and concentration, it has gobs of savory, spicy fruit and a lengthy finish. Drink it over the next four years." -Wine Advocate

ToriiMor

quality posts: 17 Private Messages ToriiMor

Hello Wooters! Monique from Torii Mor here. All of us at the winery are very excited for our Woot debut. These guys are offering up a tremendous deal on the "Deux Verres", which is our reserve Willamette Valley Pinot noir. You'll be hard pressed to find a better offer on this wine anywhere.
Jacques Tardy, our winemaker, and I will be checking in periodically to answer any questions you may have on the wine or the winery, so ask away.

gcdyersb

Jamie Goode visits Torii Mor on his Wine Anorak website. He has some positive reviews.

claudicina

quality posts: 34 Private Messages claudicina

As far as a red wine goes, how does this compare to say, a Merlot? (asks the wine virgin)

McMalbec

quality posts: 8 Private Messages McMalbec

Sounds interesting- in for one.
Would love to put this wine in the lab on Thursday night to celebrate the Packers victory!

ToriiMor

gcdyersb wrote:What's the drinking window on these? Are they more approachable now, or built for the long haul?

These look good, at any rate. Kind of between the Oregon & single vineyard bottlings in price and selection of favored barrels according to their website.

This wine is drinking quite nicely right now. However, it will be well worth the wait if you can lay it down for 2-3 more years. Since this deal includes 2 bottles, you can enjoy one now and cellar the second bottle.

PetiteSirah

quality posts: 78 Private Messages PetiteSirah
NedDawg wrote:Wine Spectator review:
TORII MOR
Ripe and a bit aggressive, with a mild grip of tannin and a sharp edge to the rhubarb and cherry flavors, finishing with some silk to the texture. Best from 2009 through 2012. 981 cases made. –HS

MMMM TANNINS. Makes pinot drinkable!

Hail the victor, the king without flaw
Salute your new master ... Petite Sirah!

"Who has two thumbs and loves Petite Sirah?" ThisGuy!

gcdyersb

NedDawg wrote:Wine Spectator review:
TORII MOR

I wonder what the Speculator means by aggressive & sharp? Acidity? Understanding the scoring logic of wine mags (high 80s/low 90s maximum for wines of balance, but mid 90s+ for wines of extremes), this should be very good. Especially if their objection is moderate acidity. I tend to think they deduct for acidity where they often shouldn't.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus

What was the attempted style with this PN? Burgundian? Juicy-California? Or do Oregon PNs have their own, distinct style?

The only OR PN I've had was the Willamette Valley Trio that I absolutely despised (and I don't think I was alone). I'm open, but weary, sadly. Stupid bad wine.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

jwink

quality posts: 39 Private Messages jwink

For those too lazy to click on the CellarTracker link, the winery has added the following wiki information [w.w offering page redundancy edited out] with some great background:

Current harvest levels range between 14,000 and 17,000 cases depending on the vintage. The focus at the winery is devoted to the production of Pinot Noir beginning in the vineyards with careful, attentive management to achieve mouth-watering, truly physiologically ripe fruit and continuing in the cellar with small lots, minimal handling, and native yeast fermentation to express each unique site in a classic “Burgundian” way.

Torii Mor currently obtains fruit from over ten carefully chosen vineyards. Our wine making team ensures that the vineyards will produce the highest quality fruit with strong emphasis on low tonnages and low-input farming practices for natural plant balance. This dedication to quality has resulted in the production of vineyard-designated wines to complement our well known Oregon production that remains the flagship of Torii Mor.

And now about the name: TORII MOR was chosen by the founder as he felt it conjured a feeling of unique elegance. Borrowing from the Japanese, the word “torii” refers to the ornate gates often seen at the entrances to Japanese gardens. “Mor” is a word in ancient Scandinavian that means “earth.” By integrating these two distinct languages, the romantic image of a gate to the earth space or passageway to beautiful things is formed. We believe that Pinot Noir, more than any other varietal, is that beautiful gateway to the earth.

Jacques Tardy, winemaker at Torii Mor winery, Dundee, Oregon

Jacques is a native of Nuits Saint Georges, in Burgundy, France. Jacques grew up in a family which has been heavily involved in the French wine industry for five generations, both in wine making and vineyard management. Jacques was educated at the Lycee Agricole and Viticole of Beaune, earning a degree in 1974 in Viticulture and Enology. After Jacques completed a year of mandatory military service, he returned home, leased vineyards and made his first wine under his own Jacques Tardy label in 1976.

After several years of making wine in France, Jacques moved to California in 1982 to work at the J. Lohr Winery in San Jose, California. Jacques started first in the cellar and was promoted quickly to Cellar Master, a position he held for more than five years.

With the desire to make quality Pinot Noir, Jacques and his family moved to Oregon in 1990 to explore job opportunities. Jacques started as Co-Winemaker at Montinore Vineyards, in Forest Grove, Oregon, and was promoted to Winemaker in 1992. In 1998 Jacques added to his winemaking duties the management of the 240 acre vineyard after the vineyard manager left the company, a position he held until fall 2004 when he took over the as winemaker at Torii Mor winery in Dundee. The quality red and white wines that Jacques has produced since 1990 have earned several gold medals and other awards of distinction. While at Torii Mor, Jacques has crafted his signature “Deux Verres” burgundian style wine, as well as furthering new world Oregon style “terroir” high quality wines.

Follow me on Twitter
Blooging away

krstnn

quality posts: 1 Private Messages krstnn
claudicina wrote:As far as a red wine goes, how does this compare to say, a Merlot? (asks the wine virgin)

I'm no wine expert, but Pinot Noir is quite different from Merlot, and other red wines, like Cabernet or Syrah.

Pinot, is considered by some, to be a red wine for people who like white. It tends to less tannic, more fruity. (Though this one sounds like it could have a little more "bite".)

I'd say try it out--it looks like a good deal. And from all the comments, this sounds like it might be a good one!

uhoerhold

quality posts: 11 Private Messages uhoerhold
claudicina wrote:As far as a red wine goes, how does this compare to say, a Merlot? (asks the wine virgin)

For me, Pinot Noir is the most unique and recognizable of the red grapes. It has a more subtle fruitiness than the other grapes. In a more traditionally styled Pinot, the fruit is more along the lines of cranberry, and you often get undertones of cola and sandalwood. The aromas are very subtle and can be very profound. Unfortunately, that also means that a mediocre or poor Pinot Noir can be thin and unripe.

In modern versions, where it's more ripe and extracted, there's obviously more fruit, but, in my experience, Pinot still doesn't get as sweet and jammy as, say, a modern Syrah.

If you haven't had a lot of Pinot Noir, I would recommend you try a few. Some people (and I'm not just talking about Sideways) swear it's the holy grail of wine.

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22

Oregon Pinot Noir .... check
CT on the list .... check
Before labrat deadline .... check
Wine.woot deal .... unmatchable

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22

Torii Mor can you comment on the 2006 vintage? I recall reading that it was softer fruit than the 2005, but not as age-worthy. And neither was as good as the 2004. Would you agree?

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

threemoons

quality posts: 18 Private Messages threemoons

Argh, need to pass, wine piling up at home and finances low just now...meh...

boaz38

quality posts: 2 Private Messages boaz38

I would give this one a try if the price was a bit lower. Kind of hard to woe me off Roessler with a price point so high. Just sayin, good luck. ;)

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith

I'm in!
Wow, 2 weeks in a row that I've gone in.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

FergyinDaATL

quality posts: 0 Private Messages FergyinDaATL

Looks like another great choice! In for 2. I'm NOT available to Rat on this one since I'm out of town for overnight delivery tomorrow.

dianefreda

quality posts: 9 Private Messages dianefreda
soliver wrote:I've spent the last few months with wines from Washington and Oregon and this winery was one of my favorites. I tried the '07 Olalla Pinot and was very pleased, which is no mean trick for me.

I love Oregon and Washington wines, especially PN - usually this would be a price point I would have to pass on but I have to celebrate Virginia being back on the list. So i'll have a bottle to celebrate with and a bottle to save. The rubarb really interests me.

rmm989

quality posts: 26 Private Messages rmm989

Wow - what a deal! In for two. Can't wait for this one to get here

CT

tamcap

quality posts: 3 Private Messages tamcap

I was tempted by it as well. Lets see how it works out.

PS. Will rat ;-), if given a chance.

0U812

quality posts: 1 Private Messages 0U812

From Hugh Johnson's 2009 Pocket Wine Guide:

"Torii Mor ★★★ V.gd single-y'yd Pinot N and superior Pinot Gr." (that said, this offering is not single vineyard however)

The Pacific Northwest 2006 vintage (generally): "The century is young, but when talk turns to vintage of the century, this is it so far for Oregon. Incredible quality across the board."

In for three...

ssufish

quality posts: 6 Private Messages ssufish

In for one via iPhone app :-) available to Rat!

bowerad

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bowerad

Man, I am supposed to be on a SIWBM and was just checking the offering out of interest. Torii Mor! I requested a Torii Mor PN in the wine request thread several months back, never dreaming it would come to pass. I can't believe woot got them here.

I'm a Portlander and try to head south once or twice a year to do some tasting. Torii Mor has consistently been one of my favorites. I'm looking forward to trying this wine as it's not one I've had before. Would love to rat this one (and would have hoardes of eager co-rats)

gcdyersb

krstnn wrote:Pinot, is considered by some, to be a red wine for people who like white. It tends to less tannic, more fruity. (Though this one sounds like it could have a little more "bite".)

I somewhat agree with the comparison to whites in terms of less tannins and less overt power. It's definitely a versatile varietal in that it can pair with a wide range of foods. But a really good Pinot will have incredible depth to it and usually has very serious earthy, mushroomy nuances. The fruity white drinker might not like the earth-funk, while the big red drinker won't find the face smashing qualities of a Cab.

shh64

quality posts: 1 Private Messages shh64
ToriiMor wrote:Hello Wooters! Monique from Torii Mor here. All of us at the winery are very excited for our Woot debut. These guys are offering up a tremendous deal on the "Deux Verres", which is our reserve Willamette Valley Pinot noir. You'll be hard pressed to find a better offer on this wine anywhere.
Jacques Tardy, our winemaker, and I will be checking in periodically to answer any questions you may have on the wine or the winery, so ask away.

Monique - thanks for joining us. I love OR pinots, so in for 3 here. Would you give me a sneak peak at what I can expect when I open one - do you have your own personal tasting notes you could share?

hiddentreasures

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hiddentreasures

My husband and I were fortunate enough to go to a tasting at Torii Mor on Sunday and tried this Deux Verres Pinot Noir. It is FABULOUS and I highly recommend it.

gcdyersb

hiddentreasures wrote:My husband and I were fortunate enough to go to a tasting at Torii Mor on Sunday and tried this Deux Verres Pinot Noir. It is FABULOUS and I highly recommend it.

How would you describe it? Tannic (for a Pinot)? Earthy? More fruity and round?

ToriiMor

saxwizerd45 wrote:Winemaker has a pretty interesting bio... this is supposed to be very Burgundian?

Jacques Tardy here, this is my first time wooting... I am from Nuits Saint Georges in Burgundy, I am not trying to make my wines burgundian but I follow the less is more style of winemaking. Oregon has such great fruit to work with, i am a terroirist and I want the vineyard to speak through my wine. I hope I am transparent even though my wines have a distinct signature of elegance and balance.
So you will get great fruit quality in this wine but also complexity from the layering of the different vineyard, as a good blend should be.
cheers,

JLessard

quality posts: 4 Private Messages JLessard
uhoerhold wrote:For me, Pinot Noir is the most unique and recognizable of the red grapes. It has a more subtle fruitiness than the other grapes. In a more traditionally styled Pinot, the fruit is more along the lines of cranberry, and you often get undertones of cola and sandalwood. The aromas are very subtle and can be very profound. Unfortunately, that also means that a mediocre or poor Pinot Noir can be thin and unripe.

In modern versions, where it's more ripe and extracted, there's obviously more fruit, but, in my experience, Pinot still doesn't get as sweet and jammy as, say, a modern Syrah.

If you haven't had a lot of Pinot Noir, I would recommend you try a few. Some people (and I'm not just talking about Sideways) swear it's the holy grail of wine.

Great breakdown, thank you.

And as for the recommendation at the bottom of that post, I agree. Try, try and try some more. You'll quickly learn if a) you like it (and you probably will, it's so unique) and then b) what you like about it and start discerning the good from the bad...and when you find good, you buy LOTS.

ToriiMor

Jacques Tardy here,
Pinot Noir is considered more of a feminine wine, meaning it has softer edges and goes down easier... a good Pinot is supposed to be more sensual than most other red wines. the problem with Pinot is that after you had one that knocked your socks off you will spend you lifetime looking for another... you will find them, enjoy! Cheers.