soochee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages soochee

To make it a little bit more official! Here's what I see tentatively. Let me know what needs changing.

DATE: Saturday, November 7th
WHERE: We're starting in Calistoga and will probably do most of our tastings here. We'll wind up at soochee and Nostrom0's timeshare in Napa by the airport.
TIME: TBD
THEME: Calistoga/Napa wines of course

I need a head count for reservations at Toffanelli's. Everyone will be paying for their own meals and tastings and on there won for accommodations.

ATTENDEES:
1. Soochee and Nostrom0
2. Greg and Karla (Nostrom0's cousins)
3. Mewalk707
5. wombativ
6. Monica and Tony (Soochee's friends)
7. MarkDaSpark
8. Phil +1 (cousin's friend)

MAYBE:
1. Tenuki

REGRETS:
1. CAGirl + 1.5 (maybe more?)
2. joannevicious +1

I will finalize the plan and time table soon and people can decide when they want to join in the party.

Hey NorCal Wine Wooters! Nostrom0 and I are heading up to Napa for a weekend on November 6-8, 2009. We're coming with some cousins to celebrate their engagement as well as 3 birthdays all in November.

Anyone available to help us celebrate? I was thinking of a get-together at our timeshare resort, either by the pool or I can make a reservation in the resort's wine cave. http://www.shellhospitality.com/hotels/vino_bello_resort/

Let me know if there's enough people available and/or those who may want to join us in Napa to make this an official NorCal #3 gathering.

Hope to see you soon!

mewalk707

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mewalk707

Wouldn't miss it. How can I help?

CAGrl

quality posts: 13 Private Messages CAGrl

Would love to make it. The only wrinkle for us might be the fact that mother-in-law's turning 60 on the 9th. So depends on what she wants to do for celebration. If we're available, count us in. The wine cave sounds fascinating. But Lexie probably couldn't come.

tenuki

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tenuki

Heh, I was wondering when a good date for the next one would be. If I'm free I'll be there.

CT

soochee

Most likely we'll do something on Saturday (11/7) but if that doesn't work, then maybe Friday night, we should be up there by dinner time.

Melanie I may have a special assignment for you since I can't really bring stuff with me. I'll let you know as we get closer.

tenuki

Whoa, did soochee just disappear off of facebook?

edit: ah, just fb problems, now celtic harp isn't showing :P

CT

javadrinker

quality posts: 4 Private Messages javadrinker

Temporary thread hijack. For you Bay Area folks it looks like Twisted Oak is having a fall release party in SF on Wednesday, 9/30. Here's the link to the FB event page.

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=134309364748&ref=nf

And the path to drunken poverty continues... Java's Stash at CT

• Wine.woots: um, lost count.
  • Other woots: um, lost count too. I might have a problem.

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 181 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
soochee wrote:Most likely we'll do something on Saturday (11/7) but if that doesn't work, then maybe Friday night, we should be up there by dinner time.

Melanie I may have a special assignment for you since I can't really bring stuff with me. I'll let you know as we get closer.

Hmmmm. Tempting. Very tempting.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

mewalk707

MarkDaSpark wrote:Hmmmm. Tempting. Very tempting.

I think you say this in every gathering's thread.

tenuki

mewalk707 wrote:I think you say this in every gathering's thread.

For not having met, you know him really well ;)

CT

soochee

To add more incentive...I have an appointment on 11/7 at 2pm with Vince Toffanelli of Toffanelli Family Winery! Thanks for Angie and Melanie for the connection. We can razz him for skipping NOrCal Gathering #1. Anyone want to join us? He hasn't decided whether to do a winery tour or vineyard tour yet, but I vote vineyard. I told him I would give him a final head count the week before.

For Saturday we'll be touring the Calistoga area. How's about a personal guided tour mewalk? Any good places for breakfast in Calistoga? So far, in the morning we're heading to Castello Di Amorosa to take some engagement photos and sip some wine. 2pm with Vince. I'm sure more will be added later.

mewalk707

soochee wrote:To add more incentive...I have an appointment on 11/7 at 2pm with Vince Toffanelli of Toffanelli Family Winery! Thanks for Angie and Melanie for the connection. We can razz him for skipping NOrCal Gathering #1. Anyone want to join us? He hasn't decided whether to do a winery tour or vineyard tour yet, but I vote vineyard. I told him I would give him a final head count the week before.

For Saturday we'll be touring the Calistoga area. How's about a personal guided tour mewalk? Any good places for breakfast in Calistoga? So far, in the morning we're heading to Castello Di Amorosa to take some engagement photos and sip some wine. 2pm with Vince. I'm sure more will be added later.

Fun! Vince is a great guy, you'll really like him. His winery is pretty unique. It is very small (used to be Angie's playhouse when we were kids). He has done some really neat things in order to convert the space. The vineyard is absolutely beautiful though. And if you go there you’ll probably get to meet grammy. She's 80-ish and still works the vineyard. Not to mention one of the nicest ladies I know.

Breakfast in Calistoga...

Most people would recommend Sarafornia. It’s too “touristy”. I think they’re overrated. Unless you like waiting in line for mediocre food?!

If you want a bloody mary with your breakfast, go to the Hydro. Full bar + good food = a great start to any day!

Miguel’s has good food. Service tends to be a little inconsistent.

There are a couple other places that serve breakfast, but I either don’t have the personal experience with them or I don’t think they’re what you’re looking for. After typing that all out it looks like the Hydro is my clear favorite.

I would love to join you guys after you’re done at the castle. Where else would you like to go?

CAGrl

Okay guys. I'm gonna try to convince the mother in law that she needs to spend her birthday weekend up in napa/calistoga. =) If we got her a hotel room with us and Lexie I think she would love. it. If that were the case, all 4 (+ lexie) would be in for everyting including the vineyard walk, as long as Vince was okay with it. =) Just keep us updated.

MarkDaSpark

tenuki wrote:For not having met, you know him really well ;)

And here I was thinking I could bring up that scaffolding you wanted from Hi-Time .....

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

soochee

mewalk707 wrote:I would love to join you guys after you’re done at the castle. Where else would you like to go?

So far, we're getting breakfast, going to the Castle, lunch somewhere, Chateau Montelena, because I want to see what it looks like during the day (either before or after Toffanelli), then back to the hotel for a celebration. The wine cave closes at 7pm, so if we want to taste in there, we'll have to head back by 6pm or else it'll be a pool party.

That already seems like a lot to me.

wombativ

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wombativ
soochee wrote:So far, we're getting breakfast, going to the Castle, lunch somewhere, Chateau Montelena, because I want to see what it looks like during the day (either before or after Toffanelli), then back to the hotel for a celebration. The wine cave closes at 7pm, so if we want to taste in there, we'll have to head back by 6pm or else it'll be a pool party.

That already seems like a lot to me.

If you have any extra time in your schedule, Vincent Arroyo is probably my favorite place in Calistoga that I've tasted at during my harvest off days the over the last month. Lots of different varietals, specializing in Petit Sirah . . .

mewalk707

wombativ wrote:If you have any extra time in your schedule, Vincent Arroyo is probably my favorite place in Calistoga that I've tasted at during my harvest off days the over the last month. Lots of different varietals, specializing in Petit Sirah . . .

And usually a very informative stop as well. Not to mention conveniently located between Montelena and the Tofanelli vineyards.

joannevicious

quality posts: 4 Private Messages joannevicious
soochee wrote:Hey NorCal Wine Wooters! Nostrom0 and I are heading up to Napa for a weekend on November 6-8, 2009. We're coming with some cousins to celebrate their engagement as well as 3 birthdays all in November.

Anyone available to help us celebrate? I was thinking of a get-together at our timeshare resort, either by the pool or I can make a reservation in the resort's wine cave. http://www.shellhospitality.com/hotels/vino_bello_resort/

Let me know if there's enough people available and/or those who may want to join us in Napa to make this an official NorCal #3 gathering.

Hope to see you soon!

7th 7th 7th 7th 7th 7th 7th

That's the only day I can do it. And possibly only if it's kid-/baby-friendly, which sounds like it should be, right?? (Although my mom might be into hanging out with the 3yo that day...)

tenuki

If anyone's picking up the Wellington Rose and wouldn't mind parting with a bottle let me know.

edit: and remind me not to pick up bottles at woot gatherings, that's apparently just total fail

CT

soochee

joannevicious wrote:7th 7th 7th 7th 7th 7th 7th

That's the only day I can do it. And possibly only if it's kid-/baby-friendly, which sounds like it should be, right?? (Although my mom might be into hanging out with the 3yo that day...)

So far all festivities are a go for the 7th. Our kiddies are staying home (woohoo), so I'm not sure how much fun it'll be for yours.

I'll finalize plans at the end of Oct. For those coming up from south, maybe we can all meet in Napa and carpool up to Calistoga and wind up back in Napa.

mewalk707

tenuki wrote:If anyone's picking up the Wellington Rose and wouldn't mind parting with a bottle let me know.

edit: and remind me not to pick up bottles at woot gatherings, that's apparently just total fail

I went in on the Wellington. You can take one of mine. Do you still want the triacipedis that I have set aside for you?

tenuki

mewalk707 wrote:I went in on the Wellington. You can take one of mine. Do you still want the triacipedis that I have set aside for you?

Thanks! J likes rose's, so I'd like a bottle to share sometime. They're okay but I'd never reach for one without company.

Sure, honestly I can't remember if I brought one home or not from NorCal #2. I know we popped one, can't remember if I got one or two from CAgirl though.

How's the house going? And where you staying in Vegas?

CT

joannevicious

soochee wrote:So far all festivities are a go for the 7th. Our kiddies are staying home (woohoo), so I'm not sure how much fun it'll be for yours.

I'll finalize plans at the end of Oct. For those coming up from south, maybe we can all meet in Napa and carpool up to Calistoga and wind up back in Napa.

If by South, you mean South of Napa, then yes. Although, it's possible my car may be full-ish anyway. I'll most definitely have to bring baby, but babies have fun anywhere, though 3yo can probably hang out with someone else doing something more fun.

Looking forward to it!!

mewalk707

tenuki wrote:Thanks! J likes rose's, so I'd like a bottle to share sometime. They're okay but I'd never reach for one without company.

Sure, honestly I can't remember if I brought one home or not from NorCal #2. I know we popped one, can't remember if I got one or two from CAgirl though.

How's the house going? And where you staying in Vegas?

If you can't remember whether you took a wine home or drank it it must have been a hell of a party. I'm sorry I missed it.

The house is great. I love love love it! I've been meaning to post some pics on fb. I'll get around to it one of these days.

I don't have a place in Vegas yet. Another thing I need to do... hmm... I see a pattern here. Apparently, i'm a slacker.

CAGrl

mewalk707 wrote:If you can't remember whether you took a wine home or drank it it must have been a hell of a party. I'm sorry I missed it.

The house is great. I love love love it! I've been meaning to post some pics on fb. I'll get around to it one of these days.

I don't have a place in Vegas yet. Another thing I need to do... hmm... I see a pattern here. Apparently, i'm a slacker.

I believe I have 2 bottles of the inzin and possibly a tri for tenuki, but not sure. Haven't really checked since we got back from joanne's place. Next time I see you, I will give you those bottles tenuki.

tenuki

mewalk707 wrote:If you can't remember whether you took a wine home or drank it it must have been a hell of a party. I'm sorry I missed it.

I just can't remember if I bought one or two off CAgirl. I brought a lot of bottles, bought more off her that she brought, and we opened a lot of bottles so not sure what all I took home :P

Glad your place is rockin. Recommended you to Cheron as a Vegas roommate since she's looking.

CT

tenuki

CAGrl wrote:I believe I have 2 bottles of the inzin and possibly a tri for tenuki, but not sure. Haven't really checked since we got back from joanne's place. Next time I see you, I will give you those bottles tenuki.

lol, if you have two I think one of the inzin's is yours. I really like the 2006 and wish I had a bottle, and I feel like if I keep picking them up at our gatherings a bottle's never making it home :P

CT

MarkDaSpark

mewalk707 wrote:Fun! Vince is a great guy, you'll really like him. His winery is pretty unique. It is very small (used to be Angie's playhouse when we were kids). He has done some really neat things in order to convert the space. The vineyard is absolutely beautiful though. And if you go there you’ll probably get to meet grammy. She's 80-ish and still works the vineyard. Not to mention one of the nicest ladies I know.

Breakfast in Calistoga...

Most people would recommend Sarafornia. It’s too “touristy”. I think they’re overrated. Unless you like waiting in line for mediocre food?!

If you want a bloody mary with your breakfast, go to the Hydro. Full bar + good food = a great start to any day!

Miguel’s has good food. Service tends to be a little inconsistent.

There are a couple other places that serve breakfast, but I either don’t have the personal experience with them or I don’t think they’re what you’re looking for. After typing that all out it looks like the Hydro is my clear favorite.

I would love to join you guys after you’re done at the castle. Where else would you like to go?

Scott Harvey's would be a great place to visit as well, if he and Jana are in.

I'm also thinking of joining the Chase Family Cellars wine club, and they offer a lunch for 4 or so with notice. They make their Zin and PS from the Hayne vineyards, same as Turley.

Nostrom0

quality posts: 13 Private Messages Nostrom0
MarkDaSpark wrote:

I'm also thinking of joining the Chase Family Cellars wine club, and they offer a lunch for 4 or so with notice. They make their Zin and PS from the Hayne vineyards, same as Turley.

So does that mean you're in????

Stash at CT

CAGrl

tenuki wrote:lol, if you have two I think one of the inzin's is yours. I really like the 2006 and wish I had a bottle, and I feel like if I keep picking them up at our gatherings a bottle's never making it home :P

Hahahaha. I checked last night and I definitely have 2 inzin and 1 tri for you. My inzins are still in their box because I was planning on giving it out as Christmas gift (-2 for me). Next time I'm up in the east bay, I'll e-mail you or something so that I can drop them off so that you can enjoy them.

tenuki

CAGrl wrote:Hahahaha. I checked last night and I definitely have 2 inzin and 1 tri for you. My inzins are still in their box because I was planning on giving it out as Christmas gift (-2 for me). Next time I'm up in the east bay, I'll e-mail you or something so that I can drop them off so that you can enjoy them.

Cool, since I also just realized I might not make it. Girl on Girl Dodgeball is that night. It's unclear whether I'll be helping out or or able to attend.

CT

mewalk707

tenuki wrote:Cool, since I also just realized I might not make it. Girl on Girl Dodgeball is that night. It's unclear whether I'll be helping out or or able to attend.

Girl on girl dodgeball? If you're going to ditch us for that it had better be as dirty as it sounds.

tenuki

mewalk707 wrote:Girl on girl dodgeball? If you're going to ditch us for that it had better be as dirty as it sounds.

Would I ditch y'all otherwise? Actually I'm not sure I'll be allowed to go, it's no guys general admission, last year I helped with security and stuff, but that's outsourced this year since they're at a fancy place that wants their own staff. My friend's one of the organizers though and we were talking about me going as designated driver or babysitter for one of our other friends' teams. She thought it'd be hilarious if I wore a designated driver shirt and had random drunk girls probably coming up and asking me if I was driving them home :P Of course these ideas were also thrown around at like 2 a.m. over tequila shots, hence the uncertainty

Actually it's a pretty cool event and for charity. They started like 6 years ago just 13 girls playing in a park and had 850 last year, planning on well over 1k this year. They also have a kickass venue this year.

Edit: removed nsfw link after thinking about it, youtube girlongirldodgeball promo if you want to watch it.

CT

soochee

tenuki wrote:Would I ditch y'all otherwise? Actually I'm not sure I'll be allowed to go, it's no guys general admission, last year I helped with security and stuff, but that's outsourced this year since they're at a fancy place that wants their own staff. My friend's one of the organizers though and we were talking about me going as designated driver or babysitter for one of our other friends' teams. She thought it'd be hilarious if I wore a designated driver shirt and had random drunk girls probably coming up and asking me if I was driving them home :P Of course these ideas were also thrown around at like 2 a.m. over tequila shots, hence the uncertainty

Actually it's a pretty cool event and for charity. They started like 6 years ago just 13 girls playing in a park and had 850 last year, planning on well over 1k this year. They also have a kickass venue this year.

Edit: removed nsfw link after thinking about it, youtube girlongirldodgeball promo if you want to watch it.

Someone remember to bring a ball. I think drunk dodgeball will be the perfect way to spend the evening.

wombativ

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wombativ
soochee wrote:Someone remember to bring a ball. I think drunk dodgeball will be the perfect way to spend the evening.

To think . . . I could get a fourth use out of my White Goodman (Ben Stiller from Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story) costume . . . although I don't really feel like growing the mustache out for that again . . .

joannevicious

wombativ wrote:To think . . . I could get a fourth use out of my White Goodman (Ben Stiller from Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story) costume . . . although I don't really feel like growing the mustache out for that again . . .

Um, COSTUME STORE. Sheesh. Just get a fake one. Mostly because that would be awesome.

And, I am ALL OVER drunk dodgeball. BRING IT.

Oh, and, that's my anniversary weekend, which means I might have actual free overnight childcare. w00t.

soochee

joannevicious wrote:Oh, and, that's my anniversary weekend, which means I might have actual free overnight childcare. w00t.

We're going to have a bunch of stuff to celebrate!

I edited vitals on the original post. Let me know what changes are needed.

Also any suggestions for lunch and dinner anyone? Think large group of drunk wooters...

MarkDaSpark

Nostrom0 wrote:So does that mean you're in????

Yes, as long as my sciatica doesn't act up .... have to stop at Turley on the way back to pick up my PS

CAGrl

I really wish we could make it but unfortunately we're gonna have to back out. My father-in-law's not feeling well so we're gonna spend my mother-in-law's birthday at their place. Taking it easy. Hope you all have fun.

tenuki

CAGrl wrote:I really wish we could make it but unfortunately we're gonna have to back out. My father-in-law's not feeling well so we're gonna spend my mother-in-law's birthday at their place. Taking it easy. Hope you all have fun.

Sorry you can't make it. I actually came on to be wishy washy and say I might not make it either. Talked to the dodgeball friend last night actually about borrowing a few dodgeballs so we can play if we want, and she's still trying to clear it with the other organizers for me to go. She'd also already told our mutual friends that I'd probably be there to babysit them so ...

CT