MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 185 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

Our very own Doc O is visiting from the land of 10,000 swamps .... err, lakes, and is available on October 3rd (Saturday).

So is Casa Madwine available then? Or do we need to find another location for our debauchery .... err, Wine Tasting?

And is 5pm okay? Or 6 pm?

Okay, here is the updated "Living, Breathing Document". Remember it can change, it is not set in stone. Just post your correction, and it will be updated.

Last edited: 9/16/09 10:00 AM

THEME: Doc Otolith Visits from the land of 10,000 Swamps
WINE THEME: aka what wines to bring?
DATE: 10/3 ??
TIME: 5:00 PM ?? (Stiletto Heels optional)
LOCATION: San Diego Area - Rockbottom for dinner and back to Nostrom0/Soochee's suite for wine ??
HOST: TBD

ATTENDEES LIST (so far):

MAYBES:
REGRETS:

If your wine needs decanting, please bring a decanter.

Glasses will have limited availability, so bring your glass(es) (and leave it if you want to please MW).

Snacks/Dessert TBD

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith

Looking forward to joining you guys/gals in some wine tasting.

I'm thinking I may bring some local wines from the area to share with all of you.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

madwine

quality posts: 3 Private Messages madwine
otolith wrote:Looking forward to joining you guys/gals in some wine tasting.

I'm thinking I may bring some local wines from the area to share with all of you.

Dr. O, the date looks good. Would love to host you here. But . . . don't go walking away shaking your head and saying "Hey, babe (to your wife), what the hell just happened?". The SoCal group is a silly/crazy/fun bunch. I'm the mean one! We all look forward to it!

soochee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages soochee

We'll have to miss this one. We'll be in Vegas for Fabiooooollllllaaaaaa's wedding. I'm sure she won't mind if you crashed the wedding. I'm hoping we'll be done in time to host #13.

MarkDaSpark

soochee wrote:We'll have to miss this one. We'll be in Vegas for Fabiooooollllllaaaaaa's wedding. I'm sure she won't mind if you crashed the wedding. I'm hoping we'll be done in time to host #13.

You can't have Nostrom0 fly you both into Carlsbad for it? Tsk, tsk, tsk.

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

sanity

quality posts: 5 Private Messages sanity
soochee wrote:We'll have to miss this one. We'll be in Vegas for Fabiooooollllllaaaaaa's wedding. I'm sure she won't mind if you crashed the wedding. I'm hoping we'll be done in time to host #13.

I might be able to make this; a little closer and I'll be able to confirm.

calling soochie and Nostrom0, are you joining us for the Vegas outing?

sanity

quality posts: 5 Private Messages sanity

So sorry I will not be attending; we have a motorcycle trip to the Grand Canyon planned for that weekend; I thought the bike trip was the following weekend.

MarkDaSpark

Umm, what time is the wedding? Turns out I will be missing this gathering, as I've already paid for a conference in Vegas that Fri-Sun.

(Unless I can bribe Nostrom0 and SooChee to fly back )

Nostrom0

quality posts: 13 Private Messages Nostrom0
MarkDaSpark wrote:You can't have Nostrom0 fly you both into Carlsbad for it? Tsk, tsk, tsk.

I WAS going to be displaying my new plane at the Miramar Airshow that weekend....
and then moseying over to Carlsbad for some boccie...
but no.

Stupid bachelor parties and their obligatory debauchery.

Stash at CT

soochee

sanity wrote:
calling soochie and Nostrom0, are you joining us for the Vegas outing?

No Vegas for us this time around. We're going the weekend of Oct 3rd for a wedding weekend. We may see you all if you decide on a SoCal stop after Vegas.

soochee

MarkDaSpark wrote:Umm, what time is the wedding? Turns out I will be missing this gathering, as I've already paid for a conference in Vegas that Fri-Sun.

The wedding's on Monday. "Who the hell has their wedding on a Monday?!" was Nostrom0's reaction.

K00L

quality posts: 0 Private Messages K00L
MarkDaSpark wrote:Our very own Doc O is visiting from the land of 10,000 swamps .... err, lakes, and is available on October 3rd (Saturday).

So is Casa Madwine available then? Or do we need to find another location for our debauchery .... err, Wine Tasting?

And is 5pm okay? Or 6 pm?

Okay, here is the updated "Living, Breathing Document". Remember it can change, it is not set in stone. Just post your correction, and it will be updated.

THEME: Doc Otolith Visits from the land of 10,000 Swamps
WINE THEME: aka what wines to bring?
DATE: 10/3
TIME: 5:00 PM ?? (Stiletto Heels optional)
HOST: MadWine and MadWino

ATTENDEES LIST (so far):
MAYBES:
REGRETS:

If your wine needs decanting, please bring a decanter.

Glasses will have limited availability, so bring your glass(es) (and leave it if you want to please MW).

Snacks/Dessert TBD

Sparky, I'll be in Germany (last weekend of Octoberfest) that weekend. MW, will we ever meet? Also spending four days in Prague and four days in the Alsace region.

K00L

madwine wrote:Dr. O, the date looks good. Would love to host you here. But . . . don't go walking away shaking your head and saying "Hey, babe (to your wife), what the hell just happened?". The SoCal group is a silly/crazy/fun bunch. I'm the mean one! We all look forward to it!

MW, at this rate we will never meet. I will be in Europe for 10/1 thru 10/18.

K00L

madwine wrote:Dr. O, the date looks good. Would love to host you here. But . . . don't go walking away shaking your head and saying "Hey, babe (to your wife), what the hell just happened?". The SoCal group is a silly/crazy/fun bunch. I'm the mean one! We all look forward to it!

MW, at this rate we will never meet. I will be in Europe for 10/1 thru 10/18.

tenuki

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tenuki
K00L wrote:MW, at this rate we will never meet. I will be in Europe for 10/1 thru 10/18.

Join her mafia, put a hit on her, she'll find you

CT

lmacschaf

quality posts: 16 Private Messages lmacschaf
tenuki wrote:Join her mafia, put a hit on her, she'll find you

Wish I could make it - but I'll be in the midst of harvest!!!!!

One place to hit - 3rd Corner in Encinitas - just down there on Sunday and it's a great place to drink wine and hang out!

Cheers!

larry schaffer
tercero wines
www.tercerowines.com

clayfu

quality posts: 10 Private Messages clayfu

javadrinker

quality posts: 4 Private Messages javadrinker

Bumpity bump...almost a month to go.

Everything still looking good on your end Doc O?

And the path to drunken poverty continues... Java's Stash at CT

• Wine.woots: um, lost count.
  • Other woots: um, lost count too. I might have a problem.

soochee

MW PM for you.

MarkDaSpark

soochee wrote:MW PM for you.

So if the bachelor party is canceled ....... can Bud come out an play on the 3rd ??? (by flying me to Carlsbad?)

madwine

quality posts: 3 Private Messages madwine

Sorry all! It looks like Jon's travel sched. is ramping up again. I won't be able to host this time around afterall He's at the vineyard this weekend, and something w/ the damn well pump! AGAIN! Then on travel.

javadrinker

madwine wrote:Sorry all! It looks like Jon's travel sched. is ramping up again. I won't be able to host this time around afterall He's at the vineyard this weekend, and something w/ the damn well pump! AGAIN! Then on travel.

Bummer, sounds like this won't really be a woot gathering after all.

Doc O, do you just want to see if some of us can get together for wine and dinner? If you're stuck in the SD area then this might be an option:

http://the3rdcorner.com/

I drove down to meet Clayfu and MBecker for drinks there one time and it is a pretty kick ass wine bar. Let me know what your thoughts are on the matter since it sounds like it might just be me, you, and your wife.

MW, I can pick you up if you can get a sitter.

nallie

quality posts: 8 Private Messages nallie
javadrinker wrote:Bummer, sounds like this won't really be a woot gathering after all.

Doc O, do you just want to see if some of us can get together for wine and dinner? If you're stuck in the SD area then this might be an option:

http://the3rdcorner.com/

I drove down to meet Clayfu and MBecker for drinks there one time and it is a pretty kick ass wine bar. Let me know what your thoughts are on the matter since it sounds like it might just be me, you, and your wife.

MW, I can pick you up if you can get a sitter.

Now wait just a minute. How did I get left out of this ensemble? It is not often we get old friends visiting from so far away. I'm going to do all I can to be there for some, if not all, of the evening. Word.

"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all." - h.keller
"If you can do something about it, there is no need to worry. If you cannot do anything about it, there is no use in worrying." - j.white (and also Shantideva)

javadrinker

nallie wrote:Now wait just a minute. How did I get left out of this ensemble? It is not often we get old friends visiting from so far away. I'm going to do all I can to be there for some, if not all, of the evening. Word.

Done and done...party at Nallie's...mind the shellac.

nallie

javadrinker wrote:Done and done...party at Nallie's...mind the shellac.

Note to Java - attendance =/= hostessing. Nice try, though.

"If you can do something about it, there is no need to worry. If you cannot do anything about it, there is no use in worrying." - j.white (and also Shantideva)

javadrinker

nallie wrote:Note to Java - attendance =/= hostessing. Nice try, though.

Done and done...party in the alley behind Nallie's place...now shhhh before she calls the cops.

nallie

[looks sideways at Java and then pointedly rolls her eyes (and in case your wondering, no, it's not at all easy to pointedly roll your eyes. In fact, it hurts a little)]

MadWine, MadWine, MadWine - you KNOW it won't be a real w.w SoCal party if it's not at your place. Plus Doc O (along with ERMD) helped me write the MRSA chapter in my surely-destined-for-the-trashcan novel, so I owe him big time. Please, please, please reconsider. I'll even do that thing you like if you pinkie promise to hostess. Please?

Edit - Get your minds out of the gutter. She knows I mean watch the Fox News Network instead of CNN. The things I'll do for the w.w community...

otolith

I'm still on!

It will be myself, although I may try to talk some of my cohorts who will be at the conference into joining me.

Still am trying to find something local that's pretty good to bring along.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

otolith

MarkDaSpark wrote:Umm, what time is the wedding? Turns out I will be missing this gathering, as I've already paid for a conference in Vegas that Fri-Sun.

I kept on hoping that you would say your conference was unfortunately cancelled and that you'd be able to make it. Looks like that's not going to happen, so I gotta say what I initially thought, "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

--John Muir

soochee

Turns out we'll be in SD for that weekend too for the Miramar Airshow and then heading to Vegas for the wedding on Sunday. We'll be staying in the San Diego Bay/Marina area.

We would love to join you for dinner, but we'll have the kiddies. The 3rd Corner would only work if they have outdoor seating, so we can chain the kids to the fence...I mean let them play.

We'll be at the Airshow on Saturday if anyone else is interested. http://www.miramarairshow.com/

MarkDaSpark

otolith wrote:I kept on hoping that you would say your conference was unfortunately cancelled and that you'd be able to make it. Looks like that's not going to happen, so I gotta say what I initially thought, "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

Let me know if you want me to drop off the Crystal Skull Vodka with MadWine.

And I'm as well. Was looking forward to meeting you. Kept hoping Nostrom0 could fly me, but since they aren't even in Vegas that Saturday .....

otolith

Leave the skull with MW if she'll still be so kind as to host.

Do you guys/gals have a couple recommendations on a nicer restaurant for a group of people to go? Probably be 20 or so of us going.

--John Muir

nallie

otolith wrote:Leave the skull with MW if she'll still be so kind as to host.

Do you guys/gals have a couple recommendations on a nicer restaurant for a group of people to go? Probably be 20 or so of us going.

There are so many great places to eat in San Diego that you're going to have to narrow your search down for us, Doctor. Are you looking for ocean view dining, best food ever, surrounding ambiance such as is available in La Jolla or Rancho Santa Fe or Del Mar, most elaborate decor, most expense account friendly or all of the above?

WineWootaholic

quality posts: 1 Private Messages WineWootaholic

[

nallie wrote:Plus Doc O (along with ERMD) helped me write the MRSA chapter in my surely-destined-for-the-trashcan novel, so I owe him big time. Please, please, please reconsider.

Nallie, what's this comment about? The kind of MRSA I had last year (3 times) and you are writing a book, and I was not consulted? (Raised eyebrows) humf....at least I should get a copy, or be able to prooof raed it...

wwa

A man not old, but mellow, like good wine,
Stephen Phillips (1845-1915)

"I love cooking with wine, Sometimes I even put it in the food."

33 wine.woot's, 9 woot-off wines

Nostrom0

MarkDaSpark wrote:Let me know if you want me to drop off the Crystal Skull Vodka with MadWine.

And I'm as well. Was looking forward to meeting you. Kept hoping Nostrom0 could fly me, but since they aren't even in Vegas that Saturday .....

I can come pick you up since we're flying back up Sunday night. Did you need to be back Sunday morning? Cause I'm usually not in any shape to fly the morning after one of our events.

Stash at CT

otolith

nallie wrote:There are so many great places to eat in San Diego that you're going to have to narrow your search down for us, Doctor. Are you looking for ocean view dining, best food ever, surrounding ambiance such as is available in La Jolla or Rancho Santa Fe or Del Mar, most elaborate decor, most expense account friendly or all of the above?

I think a place close to downtown and the convention center is what we're shooting for. Either on Sunday or Monday evening. I would prefer seafood of some sort (the fresh, local stuff) as the specialty. A nice wine list is nice, but not necessary (can't believe I just said that). We're not looking for a black tie or an overly formal restaurant, but something nice. We'll probably all be in suits anyway.

--John Muir

javadrinker

otolith wrote:I think a place close to downtown and the convention center is what we're shooting for. Either on Sunday or Monday evening. I would prefer seafood of some sort (the fresh, local stuff) as the specialty. A nice wine list is nice, but not necessary (can't believe I just said that). We're not looking for a black tie or an overly formal restaurant, but something nice. We'll probably all be in suits anyway.

Doc, I assume this particular dinner thing you're asking about is something for you and your colleagues as part of whatever convention thing you're doing, yes?

What's your actual availability for the woot gathering? Where are you guys staying too? Since MW can't host we have to look at some options. Chatting with SooChee about it on FB and we're thinking this might be something we can have at someone's hotel now since it's a fairly small group.

Right now I figure it's you, your +1, your mini +2, me, Nallie, Nostrom0, SooChee.

Sparky appears to be a maybe now. Anyone else I missed? MW, since you're not hosting are you still thinking of making this?

So SooChee and I were thinking dinner and then tasting to follow with anyone willing to host in their hotel.

Thoughts from everyone?

otolith

javadrinker wrote:Doc, I assume this particular dinner thing you're asking about is something for you and your colleagues as part of whatever convention thing you're doing, yes?

Correct.

I would think Saturday should work best for me to get together (I would also assume all of you, unless you want to do it on Sunday night and go to work hung over on Monday), and I could just plan the dinner with my colleagues for Monday.

--John Muir

Nostrom0

You can come to our hotel room. I believe it'll be a decent size and a small balcony at the marina.

Stash at CT

javadrinker

Nostrom0 wrote:You can come to our hotel room. I believe it'll be a decent size and a small balcony at the marina.

I do not unapprove.

I'll find a nice cheap notel Motel to stay near you guys and then pretend I'm part of the cool crowd when I hang out with you.

I'm assuming Doc O and family are staying in the same general area (Downtown SD maybe?).

Nallie, how do you feel about coming down to SD?

I'll probably stay at one of the many area LQ's. My budget is tighter than the rest of youse but I do get a suite upgrade.