+ Add a Comment

darlenee1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages darlenee1

Now it begins. Adam, we may have to get a second 100 qt stockpot. I know I can get my hands on another propane burner thingy from one of my friends who does all grain brewing ;) Maybe the pot as well. Plenty of time to coordinate travel details, etc., for those who are sad they missed out on the MOST AMAZING EVENT EVER!
Pre-Activities
Thursday night: Late night sushi at Miya's. Five dollars for five pieces of the only sustainable sushi on the East Coast, and one of three in the US! Check out the site, the place is awesome. Best of all, BYOB, no corking fee! Let me know ahead of time if you are joining, I'm friendly with the owner and can try and get him to make the night special for us. Plan on meeting at 10:00.
Friday Evening: We will do dinner at Bar, which has excellent pizza, without the hype. It's the local's secret spot because we don't like to wait in line for Pepe's. Reservation is for 7:00

When: July 31st 2010, arrival anytime if you leave Adam alone and hang out at the beach, 4:00 for the bake festivities.

Where: New Haven area, by the beach

Attending:
1. mother PAID PIZZA SUSHI
2. darlenee1 PAID PIZZA SUSHI
3. darlenee1's husband PAID PIZZA SUSHI
4. Krugsters PAID PIZZA1999 Blain-Gagnard Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru Les Caillerets
5. shamer PAID PIZZA
6. and their mum/m-i-l/gram PAID
7. HAK PAID
8. rpm PIZZA PAID
9. rpm's +1 PAID
10. wootified PAID
11. wootified's +1 PAID
12. speedoo PAID
13. polarbear22 PAID PIZZA
14. polarbear's wife PAID
15. ddeuddeg PAID PIZZA SUSHI
16. bahwm PAID PIZZA SUSHI
17. dsapp PAID
18. wife of dsapp PAID
19. justinranderson PAID PIZZA SUSHI
20. his fiance PAID PIZZA
21. kttest PAID
22. Cesare PAID
23. cjsiege-Cyberpub blend PAID PIZZA
24. MarkDaSpark PAID PIZZA
25. friend #1 of dsapp PAID
26.Friend #2 of dsapp PAID
27.tiger7610 PIZZA
28.kkv123 PAID PIZZA
Also participating for pizza: Mr. Sanderson's inlaws.

waitlist:
Redheadnik

I cannot be bothered to list all the tasty beverages y'all are bringing right now. Let's make sure we get some good pictures of the lineup!

Ran out of room for the wines, and can't think of a good quote for now

mother

quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother

Tentative date is July 31st.

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98

You're all crazy. I think this sets the record for earliest planning of a woot gathering ever.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

mother

quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother
cheron98 wrote:You're all crazy. I think this sets the record for earliest planning of a woot gathering ever.

Don't fight it Cheron

cjsiege

quality posts: 13 Private Messages cjsiege

Well, I've put it on the calendar. Now you are committed...or should be committed... or something like that.

rpm

quality posts: 167 Private Messages rpm
cheron98 wrote:You're all crazy. I think this sets the record for earliest planning of a woot gathering ever.

If you'd been there, you would understand.... wooters who miss it will will be saying for generations "next year in West Haven"

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

darlenee1

mother wrote:Tentative date is July 31st.

Steve and I were thinking last weekend July/first weekend August, so awesome

darlenee1

rpm wrote:If you'd been there, you would understand.... wooters who miss it will will be saying for generations "next year in West Haven"

My thoughts exactly. It was a night I will remember for a long time, and I'm glad others feel the same However, I started this thread as a smartass, and look how far it has gone already!

Krugsters

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Krugsters

I couldn't bring myself to read the other thread on how the clambake went.
ANNNNNNNNNNNNNND...our septic line STILL ISN'T FIXED AND WE MISSED THIS!!!

Oh, well. Put us down for next year.

If this is going to be 7/31 I guess the Sip and Sail will have to be Saturday, July 17th...?

rpm

Krugsters wrote:I couldn't bring myself to read the other thread on how the clambake went.

If this is going to be 7/31 I guess the Sip and Sail will have to be Saturday, July 17th...?

Hmmm. But, then, when do we fit in next year's RPM/woopdedoo/wine.woot Magical History (and just plain tasting) Tour? July 20-22? That time frame worked well last year - none of the wineries were so busy that they couldn't take time for us.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

cheron98

mother wrote:Don't fight it Cheron

I never said I wasn't interested. But I'm currently more interested in the next RPM tour... and they are awful close together.

Plus I've got people all wanting to do another Mackinac trip next summer...

We shall see.

cheron98

rpm wrote:If you'd been there, you would understand.... wooters who miss it will will be saying for generations "next year in West Haven"

Trust me. I wanted to be there.

Lobsters... Clambakes...

These are some of the very few things I miss about being out east. I attempted to do a sort-of clambake here last year. They didn't understand it.

cheron98

Krugsters wrote:If this is going to be 7/31 I guess the Sip and Sail will have to be Saturday, July 17th...?

You're all killing me.

no wait! I got it! I'll just take off from ... no that won't quite work... well maybe if I take off July 16 - 23. Or maybe just the 19-23. Fly to NYC on the evening of the 16th, or early morning 17th like this year, then fly from NYC to California on the 20th, stay in Cali til the 23.

You know, this would work better for ME if you had the clambake on the 24th. Cuz then i could fly from Cali back to NYC to drive to CT (or hitch a ride) and then fly back here on the 25th. That would like so totally rock.

rpm

cheron98 wrote:You're all killing me.

no wait! I got it! I'll just take off from ... no that won't quite work... well maybe if I take off July 16 - 23. Or maybe just the 19-23. Fly to NYC on the evening of the 16th, or early morning 17th like this year, then fly from NYC to California on the 20th, stay in Cali til the 23.

You know, this would work better for ME if you had the clambake on the 24th. Cuz then i could fly from Cali back to NYC to drive to CT (or hitch a ride) and then fly back here on the 25th. That would like so totally rock.

It's early enough that we could try to work the dates to make it as easy as possible for folks who want to do all three events, but I confess I don't know quite what that would work out to. My thought for mid-week scheduling is to give people the option of doing a weekend touring either ahead of us or afterwards (or both) - which a number of Tourists did last time.

It is absolutely NOT my intention to make a Magical History Tour conflict with other events, or put people in a position of having to decide on one or the other. Both the Sip & Sail and the Clam-Bake are more than local events, but will I think draw most of their attendees from the Northeast. The Magical History Tour will draw from all over, if the first tour is any indication. It's a pity there isn't enough worthwhile wine touring in this area to make the whole thing a week-long event, beginning with Sip & Sail, touring NYC, then wine country on Long Island, then Upstate, and culminating with the Clam-Bake in West Haven on the following Saturday. I wonder.... it's just there's so much bad wine made both on Long Island and Upstate, and precious little that's good enough to go out of your way for, that I'd be hard pressed to make it worthwhile.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

darlenee1

Krugsters wrote:I couldn't bring myself to read the other thread on how the clambake went.

Kathy, that really stinks You can always do the sip and sail the weekend before, turning this into a way for people to begin and end their vacations to the great Northeast? I can arrange a midweek brewery tour of Vermont or something, as there's not much in terms of wine to visit, as rpm stated.

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
rpm wrote:It's early enough that we could try to work the dates to make it as easy as possible for folks who want to do all three events, but I confess I don't know quite what that would work out to. My thought for mid-week scheduling is to give people the option of doing a weekend touring either ahead of us or afterwards (or both) - which a number of Tourists did last time.

It is absolutely NOT my intention to make a Magical History Tour conflict with other events, or put people in a position of having to decide on one or the other. Both the Sip & Sail and the Clam-Bake are more than local events, but will I think draw most of their attendees from the Northeast. The Magical History Tour will draw from all over, if the first tour is any indication. It's a pity there isn't enough worthwhile wine touring in this area to make the whole thing a week-long event, beginning with Sip & Sail, touring NYC, then wine country on Long Island, then Upstate, and culminating with the Clam-Bake in West Haven on the following Saturday. I wonder.... it's just there's so much bad wine made both on Long Island and Upstate, and precious little that's good enough to go out of your way for, that I'd be hard pressed to make it worthwhile.

I share your view that the tour would be national while the Sip & Sail and Clambake are more regional. (S&S clearly was less so, right Java?) I just don't think that you can plan them all to coordinate. There is only so much summer.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

polarbear22

darlenee1 wrote:Kathy, that really stinks You can always do the sip and sail the weekend before, turning this into a way for people to begin and end their vacations to the great Northeast? I can arrange a midweek brewery tour of Vermont or something, as there's not much in terms of wine to visit, as rpm stated.

If folks don't mind the drive, a mid-week swing by the Finger Lakes offers some nice wines.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
My Cellar

rpm

polarbear22 wrote:If folks don't mind the drive, a mid-week swing by the Finger Lakes offers some nice wines.

It's true there are some nice wines in the Finger Lakes region. I italicize because both qualifiers are necessary: the ratio of nice wines to wines not worth the trouble to taste is not especially high, and, of the nice wines, they do not usually get beyond nice or good to being exceptional. And, I don't think I have ever had a Finger Lakes wine (or a Long Island wine, for that matter) I would characterize as great or even potentially great.

I should probably spend a day or so up there in the next 6 months, but when I start planning the trip, invariably I, or SWMBO, look at the cost (gas, B&B, food, etc. - not counting tasting fees, if any) and determine that I can get several bottles (cases?) of wine I know will be at least superior for the money. The adventure doesn't make up for the disappointment I've had with so many New York and Connecticut wines.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

polarbear22

rpm wrote:It's true there are some nice wines in the Finger Lakes region. I italicize because both qualifiers are necessary: the ratio of nice wines to wines not worth the trouble to taste is not especially high, and, of the nice wines, they do not usually get beyond nice or good to being exceptional. And, I don't think I have ever had a Finger Lakes wine (or a Long Island wine, for that matter) I would characterize as great or even potentially great.

I should probably spend a day or so up there in the next 6 months, but when I start planning the trip, invariably I, or SWMBO, look at the cost (gas, B&B, food, etc. - not counting tasting fees, if any) and determine that I can get several bottles (cases?) of wine I know will be at least superior for the money. The adventure doesn't make up for the disappointment I've had with so many New York and Connecticut wines.

We should get some of the better FL wines for a tasting. Anthony Road has a German winemaker now, and their Reislings stood out as the best for me. I have no experience with Reisling from Germany. (I don't count the semi-sweet wines that my Dad used to buy.) So I lack the comparison. But I think that the quality is continuing to improve in that area. As to CT wine, I have nothing to add.

My Cellar

jenludwig

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jenludwig
polarbear22 wrote:We should get some of the better FL wines for a tasting. Anthony Road has a German winemaker now, and their Reislings stood out as the best for me. I have no experience with Reisling from Germany. (I don't count the semi-sweet wines that my Dad used to buy.) So I lack the comparison. But I think that the quality is continuing to improve in that area. As to CT wine, I have nothing to add.

**Off Topic ** I'm a Finger Lakes wine fan:-) I own a 15 person van and would be willing to work with up to 10 people to do a day/weekend/midweek whatever tour sometime after this October if people are interested.

**On Topic** I will be watching the dates for the clam bake for next year. I was disappointed not to be able to make it to this years! Definitely interested, I just can't commit quite this far in advance!

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42

Since this thread came back to the top of the list...count me in for this one next year. If I have to cancel, I'll do it as we get closer, but for now I'm a definite yes.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

darlenee1

HitAnyKey42 wrote:Since this thread came back to the top of the list...count me in for this one next year. If I have to cancel, I'll do it as we get closer, but for now I'm a definite yes.

Alright! Added to the list

darlenee1

Also, a thought. Should we limit the amount of people who can come? We seemed to be right at capacity last time, unless we want to talk about renting tables, etc. And it would involve more work for Adam, so what says he?

speedoo

quality posts: 41 Private Messages speedoo

Put me down as a very definite maybe!!

So sorry I had to miss #1.

on edit... make me a "Yes"... but like HAK, I may have to cancel as we get closer.

(how's that for a self-serving waffle)

rpm

I should be listed as a definite and +1 (SWMBO)

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

polarbear22

darlenee1 wrote:Now it begins. Adam, we may have to get a second 100 qt stockpot. I know I can get my hands on another propane burner thingy from one of my friends who does all grain brewing ;) Maybe the pot as well. Plenty of time to coordinate travel details, etc., for those who are sad they missed out on the MOST AMAZING EVENT EVER!

Attending:
mother
darlenee1
darlenee1's husband
Krugsters
shamer
HAK

Maybes:
cheron98
rpm
jenludwig

Put my wife and I down as well. I did not realize that I never chimed in.

My Cellar

bahwm

quality posts: 26 Private Messages bahwm
polarbear22 wrote:Put my wife and I down as well. I did not realize that I never chimed in.

Please add ddeuddeg and me to the list. Somehow I thought we were down! I'd hate to miss such an awesome meal and gathering.

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 26 Private Messages ddeuddeg
bahwm wrote:Please add ddeuddeg and me to the list. Somehow I thought we were down!

That's because I chimed in with "Count us in!" (2 minutes before Darlenee1, btw), but it was on the previous clambake thread, so I guess it didn't get picked up.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

wootified

quality posts: 5 Private Messages wootified

please count me and +1 as definite

P.S. I've stopped keeping this up to date
Woot:75 Sell:15 Kids:12 Shirts:0 Wine:44

ddeuddeg

ddeuddeg wrote:That's because I chimed in with "Count us in!" (2 minutes before Darlenee1, btw), but it was on the previous clambake thread, so I guess it didn't get picked up.

Chopped liver? Still not on the attendees list.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

rpm

ddeuddeg wrote:Chopped liver? Still not on the attendees list.

I don't think any work has been done to update it; lots of us have said we're definite, but no change.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

ddeuddeg

rpm wrote:I don't think any work has been done to update it; lots of us have said we're definite, but no change.

I forgot, darlenee1's been away.

darlenee1

Hey guys, I've been gone for a bit. Will update the original post now

darlenee1

OK, I have fifteen definites already, and it's still almost a year away. Of course, I know plans change, etc as time goes on. However, if you want to limit the size, you should chime in soon, Adam.

Also, I see they have added some new boxes. I am no longer as cool as many of you

bahwm

quality posts: 26 Private Messages bahwm
darlenee1 wrote:OK, I have fifteen definites already, and it's still almost a year away. Of course, I know plans change, etc as time goes on. However, if you want to limit the size, you should chime in soon, Adam.

Also, I see they have added some new boxes. I am no longer as cool as many of you

You're as cool as I am cool. Thanks for the update.

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

dsapp

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dsapp

Please put us down as planning to attend. Thanks!

dsapp + wife of dsapp

darlenee1

dsapp wrote:Please put us down as planning to attend. Thanks!

dsapp + wife of dsapp

done Looking forward to the start of classes? I go back Saturday.

darlenee1

Just a bump since we're only 10 months out mother, you never mentioned if you wanted to put a cap on attendance?

polarbear22

Driving down Route 8 this morning I was thinking of the clambake. Don't worry, I had a napkin so no droll on the shirt.

Work was playing golf at Great River in Milford.

Darlene - I waved when I went by your exit off Route 8. Both ways, just in case.

My Cellar

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 174 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

This from the super-uber planner?

Put me down for a maybe. Never been to a clambake before. And need to visit CT for a woot gathering .....

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.