bahwm


quality posts: 26 Private Messages bahwm

Buffalo/WNY Wine Woot Tasting #2: South Buffalo, NY (aka: God's Country) Less than ONE WEEK to go for our Harvest Time tasting. If you know of other WNY Wooters, give them a call and let them know our plans for the 3rd. Wooters from all over are welcome!

Fall specialties is our food theme. Post your food and wine contributions in the forum and I will update your information below.

THEME: Woot zins or your favorite zin
DATE: 10/3/09
TIME: 5 PM
LOCATION: bahwm & ddeuddeg's house. Directions and contact info will be provided via PM.

Attendees: (so far)
1 & 2. bahwm & ddeuddeg (hosts)- Dinner: TBD but current thoughts are Scallop Chowder (needs a white, so, how about Triacipedis?); eggplant parm Wines: '05, '97 and '98 Pedroncelli Mother Clones, Wellington Vertical

Dessert: ddeuddeg's famous Autumn Cheesecake. Seriously, people from work HOPE that he will make this cheesecake for events!

3. & 4. Lighter + Ms Lighter - focaccia; Oil cured olive Fougasse; Side or Salad lukewarm zucchini, walnut and pasta thingie.
Wines: Pink Zin!
XYZin


5. tiger7610 - Russian Apple Pie
Wine: TBD

6. justinrsanderson - Beef Ribs (appetizer) or slow cooked brisket
Wines: SE Chase Hayne Vineyard Zin (2005)
2006 Inzinerator


7. randysanders - wines:'05 and '06 Earthquake Zin

8. Judy (randy's +1)- chocolate cake

9. & 10. Darren & Nicole (friends of D & B)- green salad

11. InShadows - wine: Armida Surf Zin

12. & 13. Ted & Heather (Friends of D & B)

MAYBES:
1. tommythecat


REGRETS:
* Sparky
* javadrinker
* fgfljsb
* cheron98
* stagelion
* laxdad +1
* jenludwig +1
* friend of jenludwig
* everyone who misses this one

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

tiger7610


quality posts: 17 Private Messages tiger7610

I'm in. Hopefully I can request an actual bottle of that blueberry vodka instead of just a small sip.

tommythecat78


quality posts: 18 Private Messages tommythecat78
tiger7610 wrote:I'm in. Hopefully I can request an actual bottle of that blueberry vodka instead of just a small sip.



That would depend on whether or not Polarbear will be there. He is the one that brought it from Connecticut. So if he is coming you will have to ask him.

___________________________________________________________________________________________
My Cellar (has not been updated in forever)
Do the people want fire that can be applied nasally? -Golgafrinchan Marketing Consultant

polarbear22


quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
tommythecat78 wrote:That would depend on whether or not Polarbear will be there. He is the one that brought it from Connecticut. So if he is coming you will have to ask him.



Not likely at this time. I can see what we can do about getting some more of the vodka there. I had it "imported" from NH. Otherwise, I could probably hand off to ddeuddeg this weekend. But it will take me until end of August I think to get my NH connection.

I will see what we can do.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

ddeuddeg


quality posts: 26 Private Messages ddeuddeg
polarbear22 wrote:Not likely at this time. I can see what we can do about getting some more of the vodka there. I had it "imported" from NH. Otherwise, I could probably hand off to ddeuddeg this weekend. But it will take me until end of August I think to get my NH connection.

I will see what we can do.



We may be working out some kind of a meet, or multiple hand-off, to deal with that Pedroncelli shipment, which I forgot to tell you I went ahead and ordered. I'll give you a heads-up when I get a call with details about the timing of the shipment.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne


Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

bahwm


quality posts: 26 Private Messages bahwm

+ + + bump + + +

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

cheron98


quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98

I would love to join, but I don't think I can swing it. I'd have to fly, I think, because I have yet to get my passport. And I don't think I can swing it. I've over-committed myself (again) as it is.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

ddeuddeg


quality posts: 26 Private Messages ddeuddeg
cheron98 wrote:I would love to join, but I don't think I can swing it. I'd have to fly, I think, because I have yet to get my passport. And I don't think I can swing it. I've over-committed myself (again) as it is.



You could drive through OH and PA. Or you could get an enhanced driver’s license a lot cheaper and faster than a passport. And you could save by staying in our as yet uncommitted guest suite.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne


Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

fgfljsb


quality posts: 3 Private Messages fgfljsb

Hi! I am checking with a few others in Roch to see if anyone is interested, but so far, pencil me in!!! (and let me know how this works - ie. what do we bring?!) thanks!

Lighter


quality posts: 10 Private Messages Lighter

Tentative - yes for both of us. BUT, as happened with last Buffalo meet, things can suddenly change.

Fall in Western New York is big time autumn produce. I'd suggest those who do serious cooking plan to do some fall specialties. Although I live in the midst of vast cabbage plantations, I will show restraint!

tiger7610


quality posts: 17 Private Messages tiger7610

I wouldnt mind some cabbage. I wonder if even though its hopefully still be warm we might want to try to make some mulled spice wine for desert? I'm willing to help with the preparation if needs be if someone can find a good recipe and a good wine for that.

ddeuddeg


quality posts: 26 Private Messages ddeuddeg
fgfljsb wrote:Hi! I am checking with a few others in Roch to see if anyone is interested, but so far, pencil me in!!! (and let me know how this works - ie. what do we bring?!) thanks!



We'll be planning the theme and menu as soon as possible. That will be easier to do if a few more people sign up, and we can begin to get a sense of how many people to plan for. Last time we did the vast majority of the tasting first and then had dinner. That seemed to work out, and we're happy to do it that way again. We'll have people bring cheese, crackers, bread, appetizers, maybe desserts, wine. More info should be forthcoming in a few weeks, but this one's definitely a go. We'll hope for Lighter and others not to fall victim to the crowded schedule syndrome. As things stand now, bahwm and I don't seem to have a free Saturday between Labor Day and Halloween, including a seven course dinner with wine pairings that we're hosting (and cooking) for 8 people on October 17 as a benefit for Shakespeare in Delaware Park.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne


Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

ddeuddeg


quality posts: 26 Private Messages ddeuddeg
tiger7610 wrote:I wouldnt mind some cabbage. I wonder if even though its hopefully still be warm we might want to try to make some mulled spice wine for desert? I'm willing to help with the preparation if needs be if someone can find a good recipe and a good wine for that.



A mulled spiced wine would probably be a nice accompaniment to the apple and pecan topped cheesecake I'll be making -- a major fall favorite!

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne


Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

bahwm


quality posts: 26 Private Messages bahwm
fgfljsb wrote:Hi! I am checking with a few others in Roch to see if anyone is interested, but so far, pencil me in!!! (and let me know how this works - ie. what do we bring?!) thanks!


Thank you for the bump and the emails earlier today. I JUST got back from my "Summer Camp for Foreign Language Teachers". It was a lot of fun and I got a lot of good ideas.

I will edit the first page in the next couple of days so that either CJ or Sparky can include it in the weekly calendar.

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

bahwm


quality posts: 26 Private Messages bahwm
Lighter wrote:Tentative - yes for both of us. BUT, as happened with last Buffalo meet, things can suddenly change.

Fall in Western New York is big time autumn produce. I'd suggest those who do serious cooking plan to do some fall specialties. Although I live in the midst of vast cabbage plantations, I will show restraint!


I like the idea of fall specialties. Cabbage is also very good. Cole slaw anybody? Golambki anybody? Sorry about the spelling, I'm not too sure about it, but I do like "Pigs in a Blanket". Oh, yeah, pork and sausage stew with cabbage and homemade parsley biscuits. Mmmmm- this after I just picked some tomatoes and beans. Caprese salad with tomatoes from our garden is a definite possibility. The Seghesio Arneis goes especially well with a Caprese salad--we had it during last year's RPM tour. Unfortunately, we don't have any Seghesio Arneis in the cellar.

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

bahwm


quality posts: 26 Private Messages bahwm

Let's throw some thoughts out there for more foods so we can start talking about a wine theme.

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

cheron98


quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
bahwm wrote:Let's throw some thoughts out there for more foods so we can start talking about a wine theme.



I have a soup recipe that I'll send you guys. It's my signature fall soup

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

ddeuddeg


quality posts: 26 Private Messages ddeuddeg
cheron98 wrote:I have a soup recipe that I'll send you guys. It's my signature fall soup



Excellent! Just 5 minutes ago, Bonnie and I were talking about a soup for our benefit dinner on October 17th. Maybe we can use yours. One couple who will be attending the dinner has already had my signature fall soup, and although I wouldn't mind repeating it, I'd rather do a different one.

EDIT:Sheesh! By the time I've posted this, the recipe is already in my inbox. You are really something wonderful!

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne


Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

bahwm


quality posts: 26 Private Messages bahwm

Updates made to the first post.

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

rpm


quality posts: 167 Private Messages rpm

I won't be able to make it, and so can't really claim a voice, but it would be a real service to the rest of the woot community if you themed your wine tasting on Finger Lakes wines - taking advantage of your proximity to find some of the best of them - and reporting to the community on what's out there these days that's actually worth looking for. Caveat: only wines made from traditional vinifera varietals, no labrusca or hybrid varietals.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

bahwm


quality posts: 26 Private Messages bahwm
rpm wrote:I won't be able to make it, and so can't really claim a voice, but it would be a real service to the rest of the woot community if you themed your wine tasting on Finger Lakes wines - taking advantage of your proximity to find some of the best of them - and reporting to the community on what's out there these days that's actually worth looking for. Caveat: only wines made from traditional vinifera varietals, no labrusca or hybrid varietals.



Rest assured,there will be no V.labrusca in our home! Here is the posting from Sparky from our last tasting in which we were featuring Finger Lakes, Niagara Peninsula and Southern Ontario (Canada) wines.
There certainly are many Finger Lakes wines that we have not tasted.

[quote postid="3162355" user="MarkDaSpark"] Wine List: (CellarTracker links where possible), Total 32 wines.




May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

bahwm


quality posts: 26 Private Messages bahwm
rpm wrote:I won't be able to make it, and so can't really claim a voice, but it would be a real service to the rest of the woot community if you themed your wine tasting on Finger Lakes wines - taking advantage of your proximity to find some of the best of them - and reporting to the community on what's out there these days that's actually worth looking for. Caveat: only wines made from traditional vinifera varietals, no labrusca or hybrid varietals.


Sorry. Double post.

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

jenludwig


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jenludwig

I'm going to check what we have going on that date and TRY really really hard to convince the husband.

bahwm


quality posts: 26 Private Messages bahwm
jenludwig wrote:I'm going to check what we have going on that date and TRY really really hard to convince the husband.


Hey, at least we're not total strangers! We met at Sip & Sail! Plus, we have a few friends in common--PB and his wife... Hope you'll be able to join us.

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

tiger7610


quality posts: 17 Private Messages tiger7610

Technically if we do 6 degrees of separations we all have someone we know in common.

bahwm


quality posts: 26 Private Messages bahwm

Bumpidity bump.

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

Lighter


quality posts: 10 Private Messages Lighter

Heave Ho!

justinrsanderson


quality posts: 1 Private Messages justinrsanderson

I'm pretty new to wine.woot, but I'd love to participate (I'm in Orchard Park).

My input:

Meat: Beef Short Rib (I'd love to make/bring along) It could be small portions (1 rib/pp).

Wine: Locals could be interesting (though, I haven't found any I am crazy for) I have an overabundence of California Zin (2005-2007 vintages) that I would like to share.

"If it smells done, it's done. If it smells burnt, it's burnt. If it don't smell, it ain't done yet."

bahwm


quality posts: 26 Private Messages bahwm
justinrsanderson wrote:I'm pretty new to wine.woot, but I'd love to participate (I'm in Orchard Park).

My input:

Meat: Beef Short Rib (I'd love to make/bring along) It could be small portions (1 rib/pp).

Wine: Locals could be interesting (though, I haven't found any I am crazy for) I have an overabundence of California Zin (2005-2007 vintages) that I would like to share.


Hi Justin! Welcome! We knew there were some other locals out there! Hopefully, they'll come out of hiding soon!

Mmmm, Beef Short Rib sounds good. Obviously, we're still in the planning stages. I will put your name on the list. Will you be coming alone or +1?

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

ddeuddeg


quality posts: 26 Private Messages ddeuddeg
bahwm wrote:Hi Justin! Welcome! We knew there were some other locals out there! Hopefully, they'll come out of hiding soon!

Mmmm, Beef Short Rib sounds good. Obviously, we're still in the planning stages. I will put your name on the list. Will you be coming alone or +1?



I'm thinking about a batch of my famous scallop chowder for this event. That alone would be worth showing up for. We're still working on the wine theme.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne


Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

justinrsanderson


quality posts: 1 Private Messages justinrsanderson
ddeuddeg wrote:I'm thinking about a batch of my famous scallop chowder for this event. That alone would be worth showing up for. We're still working on the wine theme.



Scallop chowder sounds great. Where can you get quality scallops around here? It's always hit or miss at Wegmans. The 4.99-5.99/lb lobsters were great last week though.

I would love to come + 1, but my other half won't know her work schedule until Monday Sept 28.

What wine themes are being considered?

"If it smells done, it's done. If it smells burnt, it's burnt. If it don't smell, it ain't done yet."

Lighter


quality posts: 10 Private Messages Lighter
ddeuddeg wrote:I'm thinking about a batch of my famous scallop chowder for this event. That alone would be worth showing up for. We're still working on the wine theme.



If that holds I'll do up a couple foccaccia (s - i?) - one for sissies and one for folks who want to scream. And something from seasonal produce that can be lukewarm.

Wine? No real thoughts here. The New York wine thing has been done. Unless we want to haul down to a parking lot in Lackawanna and chug Wild Irish Rose out of a recycle bag . . .

bahwm


quality posts: 26 Private Messages bahwm
Lighter wrote:If that holds I'll do up a couple foccaccia (s - i?) - one for sissies and one for folks who want to scream. And something from seasonal produce that can be lukewarm.

Wine? No real thoughts here. The New York wine thing has been done. Unless we want to haul down to a parking lot in Lackawanna and chug Wild Irish Rose out of a recycle bag . . .





May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

bahwm


quality posts: 26 Private Messages bahwm
Lighter wrote:If that holds I'll do up a couple foccaccia (s - i?) - one for sissies and one for folks who want to scream. And something from seasonal produce that can be lukewarm.

Wine? No real thoughts here. The New York wine thing has been done. Unless we want to haul down to a parking lot in Lackawanna and chug Wild Irish Rose out of a recycle bag . . .


Seriously, though, foccaccia sounds really good.

As for the seasonal produce--are you thinking fruits or veggies? As an appetizer, side or dessert?

We may have all of our food choices made and then, set the wine selection. I will post food updates a little later in the week. I agree re: wine selection. We've already done the NYS/WNY/Southern Ontario wine thing. Of course, there are other wineries out there that we didn't select--some of which are worth trying. But I think we could save that for another time. Maybe read the comments made from our last tasting in April, 2009, and if you like what you see, pull a few more corks from that winery, take notes and keep a list for future reference.

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

Lighter


quality posts: 10 Private Messages Lighter
bahwm wrote:Seriously, though, foccaccia sounds really good.



And can make the trip over while still hot and drippy.



As for the seasonal produce--are you thinking fruits or veggies? As an appetizer, side or dessert?



We're a month out! But not dessert. If there were such a thing as TexItal that would be the style. Of course, I reserve the right to change my mind daily until October!!!

stagelion


quality posts: 0 Private Messages stagelion

I've not been wooting wine long, but I've been drinking wine longer! I'd love to make it, but alas I'm doing a show at Kavinoky that night. Kudos to those working with the Shakespeare benefit! Hopefully there will be more of these in the future.

cheron98


quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
ddeuddeg wrote:You could drive through OH and PA. Or you could get an enhanced driver’s license a lot cheaper and faster than a passport. And you could save by staying in our as yet uncommitted guest suite.



I could drive through OH and PA. But that would be like... oh, it's only an extra hour. Huh.

no, no I can't. I'm sorry

Unleeeess... hey tommy, wanna carpool again?

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

ddeuddeg


quality posts: 26 Private Messages ddeuddeg
stagelion wrote:I've not been wooting wine long, but I've been drinking wine longer! I'd love to make it, but alas I'm doing a show at Kavinoky that night. Kudos to those working with the Shakespeare benefit! Hopefully there will be more of these in the future.



a) We have a friend in that production, IIRC. Just finished playing Julius Caesar. We'll probably find a way to get to a performance. Drop us a PM , and we can discuss drinks after the show.
b) More of these in the future? Count on it.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne


Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

ddeuddeg


quality posts: 26 Private Messages ddeuddeg
cheron98 wrote:oh, it's only an extra hour.


Maybe not even an extra hour, once you factor in the time getting hassled at the border, just for having the unmitigated gall to have friends in Buffalo.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne


Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

cheron98


quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
ddeuddeg wrote:Maybe not even an extra hour, once you factor in the time getting hassled at the border, just for having the unmitigated gall to have friends in Buffalo.



LOL true!

"Why do you have friends in Buffalo?"

I don't think I'll ever forget that. Stupid border guards!

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"