jwhite6114


quality posts: 119 Private Messages jwhite6114

DETAILS:
DATE: 10/24/09
TIME: 6:00 PM
THEME: Masquerade Ball (bring a Halloween themed wine)
HOST: InShadows

ATTENDEES LIST (so far):

  1. InShadows
  2. Lasgar
  3. hershelk
  4. leroydasquirrel
  5. tripgrad


MAYBES:
  1. synchrodan
  2. synchrodan +1
  3. iByron


REGRETS:

  1. cjsiege
  2. Alaska1
  3. jwhite


WINES:


    last updated: 10/20

    CT | | | | | |

    InShadows


    quality posts: 1 Private Messages InShadows

    Any of those dates except for 9/19. That weekend is the Virginia Wine Festival.

    CT
    “Every time you think something or someone is stupid, it just means there is another thing in this world you don’t understand.” - In memory of Robert, 1975-2009
    If you make a man a fire, he'll be warm for a night. If you set him on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
    Past NoVA Gatherings

    PetiteSirah


    quality posts: 79 Private Messages PetiteSirah

    Thus beginning the long stretch of NoVA/DC tastings where I won't even be attending.

    Well, we had a nice run, guys :-D

    Hail the victor, the king without flaw
    Salute your new master ... Petite Sirah!


    "Who has two thumbs and loves Petite Sirah?" ThisGuy!

    InShadows


    quality posts: 1 Private Messages InShadows
    PetiteSirah wrote:Thus beginning the long stretch of NoVA/DC tastings where I won't even be attending.

    Well, we had a nice run, guys :-D



    bummer, can't we have a NoVA send-off gathering?

    CT
    “Every time you think something or someone is stupid, it just means there is another thing in this world you don’t understand.” - In memory of Robert, 1975-2009
    If you make a man a fire, he'll be warm for a night. If you set him on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
    Past NoVA Gatherings

    cjsiege


    quality posts: 13 Private Messages cjsiege

    Dates are too far out for me to plan. There is much travel and testing in my future. But I could be enticed into Fridays or Sundays.

    Alaska1


    quality posts: 0 Private Messages Alaska1

    I am hoping that this will be my first opportunity to join the group. My Birthday happens to be the 18th. I am not sure what my schedule will be at my new job will be but I will see if I can make it. Hope to meet you all soon.

    Little Vineyards Sonoma Valley Trio, Chateau Souverain Zinfandel Single-Vineyard Sampler Trio,Armida Winery Poizin Trio,Chase Family,Pack Cellars - Two Pack, Wellington Zinfandel Vertical Four Pack, InZinarator 4 pack, Peter Wellington 2006 Victory Reserve - 2 Pack, Saxon Brown 2008 Sonoma Valley Zinfandel - 3 Pack, Woodenhead Vintners 2006 Martinelli Road Old Vine RRV Zinfandel - 2 Pack

    hershelk


    quality posts: 6 Private Messages hershelk

    I thought I might bring up an idea I've mentioned before of doing a VA wine tour. If we start in NoVA and head west, I have a place in WV 2 hours west of here we could stay at overnight and then head back another route. We could head out 66 hitting vineyards and come back along 211 and 29 (or the other way around). September or October may be good from a weather standpoint. Anyone interested? If so anyone want to organize the vineyards?

    CT

    tripgrad


    quality posts: 3 Private Messages tripgrad

    I will be out of town on business both 9/5 & 9/12. 9/19 is Rosh Hashanah.
    That only leaves 9/26 pour moi.

    R.I.P.
    WINE.W00T NOV 4, 2012

    InShadows


    quality posts: 1 Private Messages InShadows
    hershelk wrote:I thought I might bring up an idea I've mentioned before of doing a VA wine tour. If we start in NoVA and head west, I have a place in WV 2 hours west of here we could stay at overnight and then head back another route. We could head out 66 hitting vineyards and come back along 211 and 29 (or the other way around). September or October may be good from a weather standpoint. Anyone interested? If so anyone want to organize the vineyards?



    I have no problem with this idea. I would like the group to at least go to one winery for a day or something. I'm not sure how many we could hit and I'm worried about drivers not being able to drink that much. Anyone have 16-20 year olds who want to drive us around? And storage of the wine that we buy along the way. How would that be handled? A big chest with ice in it?

    CT
    “Every time you think something or someone is stupid, it just means there is another thing in this world you don’t understand.” - In memory of Robert, 1975-2009
    If you make a man a fire, he'll be warm for a night. If you set him on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
    Past NoVA Gatherings

    hershelk


    quality posts: 6 Private Messages hershelk
    InShadows wrote:I have no problem with this idea. I would like the group to at least go to one winery for a day or something. I'm not sure how many we could hit and I'm worried about drivers not being able to drink that much. Anyone have 16-20 year olds who want to drive us around? And storage of the wine that we buy along the way. How would that be handled? A big chest with ice in it?



    Transportation would be the big issue. Not sure how hot it will be or what need there will be for wine refrigeration, but I I'm sure we can bring some coolers and ice and we can find a cool place at the WV place to keep stuff cool overnight. However, I'm also happy to do a shorter trip one day to a couple close wineries as well.

    CT

    cjsiege


    quality posts: 13 Private Messages cjsiege
    cjsiege wrote:Dates are too far out for me to plan. There is much travel and testing in my future. But I could be enticed into Fridays or Sundays.


    I am sensing danger... Bootcamp Barbie is on target to reemerge the last week Sept. & first week Oct.

    kkv123


    quality posts: 10 Private Messages kkv123
    hershelk wrote:I thought I might bring up an idea I've mentioned before of doing a VA wine tour. If we start in NoVA and head west, I have a place in WV 2 hours west of here we could stay at overnight and then head back another route. We could head out 66 hitting vineyards and come back along 211 and 29 (or the other way around). September or October may be good from a weather standpoint. Anyone interested? If so anyone want to organize the vineyards?



    I vote for October! Recent changes to some travel plans make it more likely that I'll be out of the country some time during the last two weeks in September. My dates are not yet certain because my itinerary has not yet been finalized.

    But of course, I will gladly assist in planning the wine trek in whatever manner I may. In light of the gracious offer of our host, it's the least I could do. Hershelk, what do you need - a list of suggested vineyards in that area? Something else?

    DiffEq


    quality posts: 3 Private Messages DiffEq

    Hey guys,

    Count me in! I'm pretty flexible for the most part. Sunday afternoons work best for me, but I can do a Friday/Saturday event if need be.

    I agree with InShadows' idea of visiting a Virginia winery - is anyone else interested in doing so?

    cjsiege


    quality posts: 13 Private Messages cjsiege

    Cross posted here for extra goodness:

    cjsiege wrote:Any NoVA/DC'ers willing to split? I call dibs on the Adobe Red, but I can't justify pulling out the CC for a single bottle of interest.

    Lasgar


    quality posts: 1 Private Messages Lasgar

    9/12 and 9/26 are both good for me as far as the posted dates go. The wine tour does sound like a great idea though and if I was not working on whatever day we decided to do it I would definitely come.

    tripgrad


    quality posts: 3 Private Messages tripgrad

    Atlantic Seaboard Wine Competition winners

    "Of the 21 Best of Category awards in this year's competition, 10 went to Virginia wineries. Washington area wineries did well."

    Sunset Hills Vineyard

    Chrysalis Vineyards

    Barrel Oak Winery

    Pearmund Cellars

    Rappahannock Cellars

    Ingleside Vineyards

    AmRhein Wine Cellars

    Lake Anna Winery

    R.I.P.
    WINE.W00T NOV 4, 2012

    InShadows


    quality posts: 1 Private Messages InShadows
    tripgrad wrote:Atlantic Seaboard Wine Competition winners

    "Of the 21 Best of Category awards in this year's competition, 10 went to Virginia wineries. Washington area wineries did well."

    Lake Anna Winery



    Lake Anna Winery.. I know them.. We know them..

    Anyways for those concerned. I ordered from Benessere today. I was offered either the 2007 or the 2008. I then asked how much of the 2007 remains since that is the one we tasted before. His reply was 6 cases. I bought 3 of them. Roughly two are sold. So if you are interested in purchasing some good pinot grigio, I have some to sell.

    CT
    “Every time you think something or someone is stupid, it just means there is another thing in this world you don’t understand.” - In memory of Robert, 1975-2009
    If you make a man a fire, he'll be warm for a night. If you set him on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
    Past NoVA Gatherings

    tripgrad


    quality posts: 3 Private Messages tripgrad
    InShadows wrote:
    Anyways for those concerned. I ordered from Benessere today. I was offered either the 2007 or the 2008. I then asked how much of the 2007 remains since that is the one we tasted before. His reply was 6 cases. I bought 3 of them. Roughly two are sold. So if you are interested in purchasing some good pinot grigio, I have some to sell.



    Tasted by cjsiege on 5/22/2009: "This is NOT your typical PG. Nose is lychee, honeysuckle, and underripe peach. Taste is unsweetened applesauce, lemony candy, and honeysuckle. Flavors are more like an auslese riesling than a PG. Perfect summery wine! A real surprise! Very tasty with chinese food!"

    R.I.P.
    WINE.W00T NOV 4, 2012

    tripgrad


    quality posts: 3 Private Messages tripgrad

    Bargain alert for NoVA wineaux:
    Wednesday's Washington Post featured a red their wine-writer, Dave McIntyre, called "the best red wine for $10 or less I've tasted all year." Higueruela 2008
    It was the top-rated wine of eight recommended "great value" wines they called "recession busters". This weekend it is an Arrowine Door-Buster sale. Today and tomorrow (Friday and Saturday) come into Arrowine to get the excellent 2008 Higueruela red from Bodegas Santa Quiteria in Almansa, Spain for just $7.99 (20% off) per bottle by the case. Sorry, no phone or e-mail orders.
    http://www.arrowine.com

    R.I.P.
    WINE.W00T NOV 4, 2012

    cjsiege


    quality posts: 13 Private Messages cjsiege
    tripgrad wrote:Tasted by cjsiege on 5/22/2009: "This is NOT your typical PG. Nose is lychee, honeysuckle, and underripe peach. Taste is unsweetened applesauce, lemony candy, and honeysuckle. Flavors are more like an auslese riesling than a PG. Perfect summery wine! A real surprise! Very tasty with chinese food!"


    And here I was wondering if anyone actually reads the tasting notes I input...

    FWIW, I was wondering which wine to serve with a cheese tray this evening. I'm down to my last Benessere. Well - it looks like my decision just got made. Thanks, Shadow! I know I have more on the way!

    InShadows


    quality posts: 1 Private Messages InShadows
    cjsiege wrote:And here I was wondering if anyone actually reads the tasting notes I input...

    FWIW, I was wondering which wine to serve with a cheese tray this evening. I'm down to my last Benessere. Well - it looks like my decision just got made. Thanks, Shadow! I know I have more on the way!



    Excellent choice if I do say so myself. I had a bottle of Benessere last night as well considering I have more on the way. Funny how that works.

    CT
    “Every time you think something or someone is stupid, it just means there is another thing in this world you don’t understand.” - In memory of Robert, 1975-2009
    If you make a man a fire, he'll be warm for a night. If you set him on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
    Past NoVA Gatherings

    tripgrad


    quality posts: 3 Private Messages tripgrad
    tripgrad wrote:I will be out of town on business both 9/5 & 9/12. 9/19 is Rosh Hashanah.
    That only leaves 9/26 pour moi.


    My business trip to SoAm has been extended to the end of Sept.
    Let's do this in Oct.

    R.I.P.
    WINE.W00T NOV 4, 2012

    PetiteSirah


    quality posts: 79 Private Messages PetiteSirah

    If any of you guys are interested in any of my furniture:

    * kitchen table/chairs
    * 2 solid wood barstools
    * any of the set including wine bar/side tables/coffee table/bar-height tables w/ 2 matching stools that fit underneath
    * metal and vinyl green outdoor chairs
    * gas grill w/ tank and propane level indicator
    * queen size mattress w/ boxspring, frame, headboard, footboard, matching mirror
    * Ikea MALM nightstands (x2) and matching 2-col, 3-row (6 drawer) dresser
    * 30" phillips wide-screen CRT (heavy, not HD) -- comes with turntable; stand also available

    Please let me know (email is best -- other name at gmail) -- I'd much rather deal with people I know than have to deal with sorting through responses from strangers on craigslist. Basically, make me an offer

    Hail the victor, the king without flaw
    Salute your new master ... Petite Sirah!


    "Who has two thumbs and loves Petite Sirah?" ThisGuy!

    sonadora


    quality posts: 2 Private Messages sonadora

    We could potentially be in for the 5th. Or the 19th. Otherwise, we've got company and out of town weddings to attend.

    InShadows


    quality posts: 1 Private Messages InShadows

    I has 3 cases of wine. *gulg, gulg* I has 35 bottles of wine.... Send me a PM for scheduling a pickup.

    CT
    “Every time you think something or someone is stupid, it just means there is another thing in this world you don’t understand.” - In memory of Robert, 1975-2009
    If you make a man a fire, he'll be warm for a night. If you set him on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
    Past NoVA Gatherings

    Alaska1


    quality posts: 0 Private Messages Alaska1

    I am now in the area. Please pet me know if you all get something together. I am not quite sure of my schedule yet.

    Little Vineyards Sonoma Valley Trio, Chateau Souverain Zinfandel Single-Vineyard Sampler Trio,Armida Winery Poizin Trio,Chase Family,Pack Cellars - Two Pack, Wellington Zinfandel Vertical Four Pack, InZinarator 4 pack, Peter Wellington 2006 Victory Reserve - 2 Pack, Saxon Brown 2008 Sonoma Valley Zinfandel - 3 Pack, Woodenhead Vintners 2006 Martinelli Road Old Vine RRV Zinfandel - 2 Pack

    InShadows


    quality posts: 1 Private Messages InShadows
    Alaska1 wrote:I am now in the area. Please pet me know if you all get something together. I am not quite sure of my schedule yet.



    *pets Alaska1*

    CT
    “Every time you think something or someone is stupid, it just means there is another thing in this world you don’t understand.” - In memory of Robert, 1975-2009
    If you make a man a fire, he'll be warm for a night. If you set him on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
    Past NoVA Gatherings

    Alaska1


    quality posts: 0 Private Messages Alaska1
    InShadows wrote:*pets Alaska1*



    oooops! Got me on that one!

    Little Vineyards Sonoma Valley Trio, Chateau Souverain Zinfandel Single-Vineyard Sampler Trio,Armida Winery Poizin Trio,Chase Family,Pack Cellars - Two Pack, Wellington Zinfandel Vertical Four Pack, InZinarator 4 pack, Peter Wellington 2006 Victory Reserve - 2 Pack, Saxon Brown 2008 Sonoma Valley Zinfandel - 3 Pack, Woodenhead Vintners 2006 Martinelli Road Old Vine RRV Zinfandel - 2 Pack

    musicwriter18


    quality posts: 0 Private Messages musicwriter18

    I'm new to this woot wine business although I've already bought in on 3 in my first month. This stuff is addictive. Anyway, I'd love to be a part of this NoVa/DC wine meetup deal.

    cjsiege


    quality posts: 13 Private Messages cjsiege
    musicwriter18 wrote:I'm new to this woot wine business although I've already bought in on 3 in my first month. This stuff is addictive. Anyway, I'd love to be a part of this NoVa/DC wine meetup deal.


    Welcome! Keep your eyes on this space for updates!

    bunnymasseuse


    quality posts: 2 Private Messages bunnymasseuse
    InShadows wrote:Any of those dates except for 9/19. That weekend is the Virginia Wine Festival.



    Also the weekend of the Maryland Wine Festival in Westminster

    /out of hiding

    121 Woots and counting

    InShadows


    quality posts: 1 Private Messages InShadows
    bunnymasseuse wrote:Also the weekend of the Maryland Wine Festival in Westminster

    /out of hiding



    welcome back! that sounds like fun too but a little far for me. plus I can probably sneak in for free at the VA one.

    sidenote but related: if we aren't having it the weekend of the 19th should we maybe create a thread on these festivals for a meet up for the day or just tack it onto this one? I will definitely be at the VA one on Saturday.

    CT
    “Every time you think something or someone is stupid, it just means there is another thing in this world you don’t understand.” - In memory of Robert, 1975-2009
    If you make a man a fire, he'll be warm for a night. If you set him on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
    Past NoVA Gatherings

    bunnymasseuse


    quality posts: 2 Private Messages bunnymasseuse
    InShadows wrote:welcome back! that sounds like fun too but a little far for me. plus I can probably sneak in for free at the VA one.

    sidenote but related: if we aren't having it the weekend of the 19th should we maybe create a thread on these festivals for a meet up for the day or just tack it onto this one? I will definitely be at the VA one on Saturday.



    Good question, I'm sure a lot of the other states have wine festivals too but I'm not sure if individual threads would be best or a thread dedicated to just Festival meet-ups instead?

    121 Woots and counting

    cheron98


    quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98

    BUNNY! You're OK! Welcome back!!

    I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

    bunnymasseuse


    quality posts: 2 Private Messages bunnymasseuse
    cheron98 wrote:BUNNY! You're OK! Welcome back!!



    Heh yeah I'm ok, hubby has had me slaving away at WoW-age online, that and him traveling a lot left me with a lot of house stuff to do!

    121 Woots and counting

    PetiteSirah


    quality posts: 79 Private Messages PetiteSirah
    bunnymasseuse wrote:Heh yeah I'm ok, hubby has had me slaving away at WoW-age online, that and him traveling a lot left me with a lot of house stuff to do!



    Holy scaffolding you're alive!

    And I'm leaving for good on Saturday...

    Hail the victor, the king without flaw
    Salute your new master ... Petite Sirah!


    "Who has two thumbs and loves Petite Sirah?" ThisGuy!

    bunnymasseuse


    quality posts: 2 Private Messages bunnymasseuse
    PetiteSirah wrote:Holy scaffolding you're alive!

    And I'm leaving for good on Saturday...



    Leaving for good like no longer in the area-good?

    121 Woots and counting

    InShadows


    quality posts: 1 Private Messages InShadows
    bunnymasseuse wrote:Leaving for good like no longer in the area-good?



    since he didn't answer.. yes. He moved up to NYC on Saturday. He took up a new job and new residence up there too. We all wish him good luck up in the Big Apple. And now we also have an extra place to stay at when we go up to sip 'n sails or other events.

    CT
    “Every time you think something or someone is stupid, it just means there is another thing in this world you don’t understand.” - In memory of Robert, 1975-2009
    If you make a man a fire, he'll be warm for a night. If you set him on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
    Past NoVA Gatherings

    jwhite6114


    quality posts: 119 Private Messages jwhite6114

    I have updated the first post with latest responses and added October dates.

    InShadows, I think a separate thread for local wine festival meet ups is a good idea.

    Hershel, I think a separate thread for VA/WV winery tour is probably also warranted for best responses.

    Anyone up for hosting the next NoVA gathering -- maybe that will help us peg a date.

    CT | | | | | |

    InShadows


    quality posts: 1 Private Messages InShadows
    jwhite6114 wrote:I have updated the first post with latest responses and added October dates.

    InShadows, I think a separate thread for local wine festival meet ups is a good idea.

    Hershel, I think a separate thread for VA/WV winery tour is probably also warranted for best responses.

    Anyone up for hosting the next NoVA gathering -- maybe that will help us peg a date.



    October is kinda hectic for me. The first weekend I'll be up in Pittsburgh for opening weekend for the hockey season. The 10th I can possibly be there but the next day I go out to Seattle for a conference. The 17th I will be back from the conference but I might go down to my alma mater for a reunion. That all depends on how jet lag I am and if I'm up for a 5 1/2 hour drive down to the beach. The 24th I'm available.

    CT
    “Every time you think something or someone is stupid, it just means there is another thing in this world you don’t understand.” - In memory of Robert, 1975-2009
    If you make a man a fire, he'll be warm for a night. If you set him on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
    Past NoVA Gatherings