2. zTimothyBz
3. kylemittskus
4. Nostrom0
5. soochee
6. annasalisbury

last updated 8/20/09

nallie

quality posts: 8 Private Messages nallie
joannevicious wrote:I'll be in San Diego over the weekend of August 22nd. Any potential gatherings? I could possibly host something though I won't know until closer to that weekend.

Long shot for me but not entirely impossible. Anyone else?

"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all." - h.keller
"If you can do something about it, there is no need to worry. If you cannot do anything about it, there is no use in worrying." - j.white (and also Shantideva)

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 181 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
nallie wrote:Long shot for me but not entirely impossible. Anyone else?

Sounds good to me. Previous weekend I'll be in San Clemente as well.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

joannevicious

quality posts: 4 Private Messages joannevicious

Hmmm maybe I'll check back in come August. And I could do the 21st or the 23rd if the 22nd isn't so hot.

sanity

quality posts: 5 Private Messages sanity
joannevicious wrote:Hmmm maybe I'll check back in come August. And I could do the 21st or the 23rd if the 22nd isn't so hot.

This is the same time of year we got together last year at madwino's and madwine's. Good times, as java would say.

I'll be in Utah for several days, so no go for me.

Where do you hail from? And if you're ever in Vegas....

joannevicious

sanity wrote:This is the same time of year we got together last year at madwino's and madwine's. Good times, as java would say.

I grew up in the greater San Diego area (lived in Carlsbad, Encinitas, Leucadia, Cardiff, Del Mar, Solana Beach (yeah, we moved a lot)); but I've been in the Bay Area for the past 15 years.

I'll be staying in Vista while I'm down. Is there a good wine bar somewhere along the 5? That could be a place to meet for those who are around.

zTimothyBz

quality posts: 2 Private Messages zTimothyBz

The 22nd is the Playford Ball for me, so that's out.

By the way, my b-day party has just been relocated to August 15th. I'm in Lakewood - near Long Beach - off the 605 freeway. I've even been given a theme "Luxury Cruise on the SS Geburtstag".

-- T

Official holder of unofficial, unauthorized, non-woot gatherings.
My cellar

joannevicious

Would people mind suggesting some good wine bars & decent places to eat? I would be much obliged

THANKS

javadrinker

quality posts: 4 Private Messages javadrinker

Alright, we're in August now. Let's get this going.

Unfortunately I've got nothing to add besides that mini rah rah speech but I'm pretty sure I can make dinner or wine or whatever we decide to do.

And the path to drunken poverty continues... Java's Stash at CT

• Wine.woots: um, lost count.
  • Other woots: um, lost count too. I might have a problem.

MarkDaSpark

javadrinker wrote:Alright, we're in August now. Let's get this going.

Unfortunately I've got nothing to add besides that mini rah rah speech but I'm pretty sure I can make dinner or wine or whatever we decide to do.

Paging MadWine. Paging MadWine.

Is Casa MadWine available for SoCal #11 on August 22nd?

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

tenuki

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tenuki
MarkDaSpark wrote:Paging MadWine. Paging MadWine.

Is Casa MadWine available for SoCal #11 on August 22nd?

Hmm, if that's true might be a maybe for the 22nd Still thinking about going down for go tournament 9/19 as well ...

CT

madwine

quality posts: 3 Private Messages madwine
tenuki wrote:Hmm, if that's true might be a maybe for the 22nd Still thinking about going down for go tournament 9/19 as well ...

Oh, if Mr. Tenuki is in, then we're on! Can't wait to meet Mr. Kill Madwine! Yea, we can book it!

joannevicious

madwine wrote:Oh, if Mr. Tenuki is in, then we're on! Can't wait to meet Mr. Kill Madwine! Yea, we can book it!

FABULOUS. Can we make it a date?! What should I bring?

tenuki

madwine wrote:Oh, if Mr. Tenuki is in, then we're on! Can't wait to meet Mr. Kill Madwine! Yea, we can book it!

Yay! Anyone have couch space? I have a friend in Pasadena if not, but I have no idea where Casa Madwine is, maybe that's why none of my hits work :P

CT

javadrinker

tenuki wrote:Yay! Anyone have couch space? I have a friend in Pasadena if not, but I have no idea where Casa Madwine is, maybe that's why none of my hits work :P

They are in Carlsbad. I can offer a couch for Friday night if you want (in Fullerton) but I'm more than likely staying in the Carlsbad area Saturday night. I have a tendency to stay up all night when MW and MWo are involved so no coming back to Fullerton for me.

tenuki

javadrinker wrote:They are in Carlsbad. I can offer a couch for Friday night if you want (in Fullerton) but I'm more than likely staying in the Carlsbad area Saturday night. I have a tendency to stay up all night when MW and MWo are involved so no coming back to Fullerton for me.

Thanks, not sure on travel plans yet. Saturday's what I'm worried about though

CT

cjsiege

quality posts: 13 Private Messages cjsiege
tenuki wrote:Thanks, not sure on travel plans yet. Saturday's what I'm worried about though

Since you will be up all night, there's no need to worry about a bunk.

joannevicious

tenuki wrote:Thanks, not sure on travel plans yet. Saturday's what I'm worried about though

we do at the house we're staying at in vista.

javadrinker

joannevicious wrote:we do at the house we're staying at in vista.

So it sounds like this is finally turning into a formal gathering. Maybe you should update the original post with all the info we slap into for these gatherings.

We should all start talking about a theme too so we can pick our wines.

And how did the gathering with Doc Ot get a number before this event. Maybe this one should be #12 and Doc Ot gets lucky number #13.

joannevicious

javadrinker wrote:So it sounds like this is finally turning into a formal gathering. Maybe you should update the original post with all the info we slap into for these gatherings.

And how did the gathering with Doc Ot get a number before this event. Maybe this one should be #12 and Doc Ot gets lucky number #13.

Hm, I want 13... We could do some crazy out of order thing and since 12 is taken and all this one could be 13...

Also, I am totally down with spearheading the separate thread, but since I am not physically hosting I don't want to step on any toes.....

MarkDaSpark

javadrinker wrote:So it sounds like this is finally turning into a formal gathering. Maybe you should update the original post with all the info we slap into for these gatherings.

Actually this should be #11 - I skipped to 12 for Doc O's visit.

annsalisbury

quality posts: 4 Private Messages annsalisbury

I may actually be able to make this one, and by Aug. 22 I will need such a gathering.

javadrinker

MarkDaSpark wrote:Actually this should be #11 - I skipped to 12 for Doc O's visit.

You know I thought that might be the case after I started paying attention.

#11 it is.

Joanne you have been numbered...you are #11.

Now, as far as themes are concerned, seeing as Joanne is coming from the North to visit us, how about a "Northern Exposure" theme. Only I don't mean Northern California in this case. How about nothing but wines from farther North like Washington, Oregon, and even Idaho if someone wants?

javadrinker

joannevicious wrote:Hm, I want 13... We could do some crazy out of order thing and since 12 is taken and all this one could be 13...

Also, I am totally down with spearheading the separate thread, but since I am not physically hosting I don't want to step on any toes.....

No need to create a separate thread. I say just update the first post in this thread.

And don't worry about our "hosts"...they never take charge in these types of matters. Last thing MW and MWo want to do is keep a thread up to date. Which doesn't take away from the fact that they are opening up their lovely home (once again) to a bunch of drunks/wine enthusiasts (once again).

madwine

javadrinker wrote:No need to create a separate thread. I say just update the first post in this thread.

And don't worry about our "hosts"...they never take charge in these types of matters.

and I'm good w/ that theme too. Anyone else? And did we decide on a time?

joannevicious

madwine wrote:

and I'm good w/ that theme too. Anyone else? And did we decide on a time?

I put 5pm. I like to start a little earlier because with the 5 month old and the 3 year old we have to get up early. I can adjust if necessary.

joannevicious

sanity wrote:This is the same time of year we got together last year at madwino's and madwine's. Good times, as java would say.

I have to say, I particularly like putting sanity in the "regrets" because that's where mine belongs most of the time...

;-)

javadrinker

joannevicious wrote:I put 5pm. I like to start a little earlier because with the 5 month old and the 3 year old we have to get up early. I can adjust if necessary.

Awesome...and put me down for bringing water (wine to be determined later). It's my thing...except last time when I forgot to bring the water.

Anyone bringing food?

I also sent an e-mail to Nostrom0 and Soochee to see if they can make it. I'm guessing they'll be a no since they are likely still living out of boxes.

joannevicious

javadrinker wrote:Awesome...and put me down for bringing water (wine to be determined later). It's my thing...except last time when I forgot to bring the water.

I have a thing for sparkling water. I always bring my own. So since you're in charge of water I vote for sparkling. Unflavored. :D

Oh, and I'll probably bring some food of some sort...

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus

I'm probably a no. I'm actually in Carlsbad right boe on a little vacation, but that weekend is less than a month from my comps. I should be at the library every free hour I have once I get home. I'm soooooo scared!

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

madwine

javadrinker wrote:Awesome...and put me down for bringing water (wine to be determined later). It's my thing...except last time when I forgot to bring the water.

Anyone bringing food?

I also sent an e-mail to Nostrom0 and Soochee to see if they can make it. I'm guessing they'll be a no since they are likely still living out of boxes.

Yes, let's stick w/ the hearty appetizers that we normally do. And Sparky, if you're going to bring a pizza again, bring the whole pizza and not a half eaten one.

And 5:00 is good for us. Everyone else good w/ that?

Imagine4vr

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Imagine4vr

I am seriously considering driving out for this ..

Please will someone recommend an inexpensive nearby hotel or two?

Also .. how long a drive from there to Dodger Stadium? Mapquest says it's just over an hour from Carlsbad, but I'm looking for a realistic time frame? Anyone interested in going to the Cubs/Dodgers game on Sunday? Or maybe even Friday night?

joannevicious

I'll probably bring some Charles Smith...

joannevicious

Question: will hot tubbing be made available?

javadrinker

joannevicious wrote:Question: will hot tubbing be made available?

Not unless we all fit in the bathtub. The hot tub was at Nostrom0's old place.

So what kind o' sparkly fancy water do you want? And how much? I'm bringing a case of regular water plus your stuff. If it was a local I'd say blow it out your...but you're our guest so I'm going to try to be on my best behavior.

javadrinker

Imagine4vr wrote:I am seriously considering driving out for this ..

Please will someone recommend an inexpensive nearby hotel or two?

Also .. how long a drive from there to Dodger Stadium? Mapquest says it's just over an hour from Carlsbad, but I'm looking for a realistic time frame? Anyone interested in going to the Cubs/Dodgers game on Sunday? Or maybe even Friday night?

It takes a good hour to get to Dodger Stadium from my house and I'm in OC (stupid always around traffic). You're looking at 2 1/2 to 3 hours from Carlsbad. Sadly I'm a no go for the game but it does sound fun.

cjsiege

quality posts: 13 Private Messages cjsiege
javadrinker wrote:
So what kind o' sparkly fancy water do you want? And how much? I'm bringing a case of regular water plus your stuff. If it was a local I'd say blow it out your...but you're our guest so I'm going to try to be on my best behavior.

Don't forget the lemon and lime wedges! Can't have sparkly fancy water without the wedges....and gin.

tenuki

javadrinker wrote:Not unless we all fit in the bathtub. The hot tub was at Nostrom0's old place.

In that case, I want Bling H20

Bah, I just realized I don't get to meet Java +1, how sad :P

CT

Nostrom0

quality posts: 13 Private Messages Nostrom0

I also sent an e-mail to Nostrom0 and Soochee to see if they can make it. I'm guessing they'll be a no since they are likely still living out of boxes.[/quote]

Hi All, Sorry for being MIA. We are still living out of boxes. Luckily, we finally found the kids! True to form, the wine was the first thing to go in the house and safely stowed in our new 50 bottle wine fridge The rest are in converted refrigerators (2 of them!) in Nostrom0's airplane hangar until he can get the home cellar going. The rest we just chugged.

Put us down for a solid maybe. I miss my peeps and desperately need lots and lots of wine. I'll bring celery with cream cheese stuffing and Chateau St. Michelle Riesling (one of my all time favs) from Washington.

Stash at CT

soochee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages soochee
Nostrom0 wrote:I also sent an e-mail to Nostrom0 and Soochee to see if they can make it. I'm guessing they'll be a no since they are likely still living out of boxes.

Hi All, Sorry for being MIA. We are still living out of boxes. Luckily, we finally found the kids! True to form, the wine was the first thing to go in the house and safely stowed in our new 50 bottle wine fridge The rest are in converted refrigerators (2 of them!) in Nostrom0's airplane hangar until he can get the home cellar going. The rest we just chugged.

Put us down for a solid maybe. I miss my peeps and desperately need lots and lots of wine. I'll bring celery with cream cheese stuffing and Chateau St. Michelle Riesling (one of my all time favs) from Washington.[/quote]

That was me. Nostrom0 must have been using my computer. Bad Nostrom0!