MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 174 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
LoonBoarder wrote:Mrs. LoonBoarder and I are headed out to visit DD (a smidgen north of LA) from 6/24 - 7/4. Apparently there are a few wineries in NH, so I guess they would qualify as 'not on the list of places you think of when you think of wine'. If the 26th or 27th work we could look into being on the 'maybe' list.

So, anyone up to welcome the LoonBoarders to LA this weekend? Or during the week if it's better for them?

Sorry, should have put this up sooner.

Suggestions? San Antonio Winery for Dinner & a Tour? A local favorite WineBar?

The MadWine Clan is off on vacation, and the 27th has a bday celebration for Nostrom0 & Soochee's son.

But we should welcome our Northeast brethren.

Of course, assuming that they have Friday or Saturday still open. Either night is fine with me now.

Discuss .....

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

LoonBoarder

quality posts: 5 Private Messages LoonBoarder

Aw, shucks! :blush:
We arrive tomorrow early afternoon, with precious little planned. DD has a bunch of days off after working several nights in a row (tonight being her last 'on' for a while.) I must consult with the social director to get an exact sense of availability, but I think Thursday night is out. I'm sure the "kids" have some shenanigans up their sleeves, but it would be a pleasure to meet up with some fellow wine.wooters!

Dude... wait, what?

javadrinker

quality posts: 4 Private Messages javadrinker
LoonBoarder wrote:Aw, shucks! :blush:
We arrive tomorrow early afternoon, with precious little planned. DD has a bunch of days off after working several nights in a row (tonight being her last 'on' for a while.) I must consult with the social director to get an exact sense of availability, but I think Thursday night is out. I'm sure the "kids" have some shenanigans up their sleeves, but it would be a pleasure to meet up with some fellow wine.wooters!

Sounds good. Let us know what part of town you'll be in and maybe we can find something that's not too far out of your way so we can at least have a wine quickie. Oh yeah...I went there.

And the path to drunken poverty continues... Java's Stash at CT

• Wine.woots: um, lost count.
  • Other woots: um, lost count too. I might have a problem.

javadrinker

And depending on where "north of LA" is and time constraints...how about some wine tasting in the Malibu area?

http://tinyurl.com/kkhtr9

There aren't many wineries there and they appear to be off the beaten path (some of them) but it could be interesting.

LoonBoarder

Santa Clarita, to be exact..

Dude... wait, what?

cjsiege

quality posts: 13 Private Messages cjsiege

On the calendar, altho' I like my name for the event better. (Of course I would...I thought it up!)

LB and Mrs. LB - Have a wonderful time! And don't even THINK about calling in to the office! Only idiots do that. (Or Combat Barbies!)

nallie

quality posts: 8 Private Messages nallie

Would love to be there but I'll be out of town. Hope you all have a wonderful time!

"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all." - h.keller
"If you can do something about it, there is no need to worry. If you cannot do anything about it, there is no use in worrying." - j.white (and also Shantideva)

cjsiege

quality posts: 13 Private Messages cjsiege

BUMP - must have higher profile! Did you all decide on Friday or Saturday?

soochee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages soochee

Nostrom0 and I might be able to join in if you meet June 30th-July 3rd. I'm currently renovating an apartment that needs to be done by June 30th, so can't get away until them.

San Antonio Winery might be a good option considering they're in Santa Clarita. They can come down the 5 fwy.

MarkDaSpark

cjsiege wrote:BUMP - must have higher profile! Did you all decide on Friday or Saturday?

Nothing firm yet. Depends on the Loon's DD plans. We could also do a mid-week thing next week if that's better.

Or that and a tour of Malibu area wineries on Saturday ...... *hic*

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

Paging the Loonies .... Any updates on the DD's plans for you two?

LoonBoarder

MarkDaSpark wrote:Paging the Loonies .... Any updates on the DD's plans for you two?

Razzin' frazzin' Valencia Hyatt wireless internet. Just got on tonight after we got back from a day at Universal Studios. Last night we went to DD's boyfriend's parents' for dinner. I think our internal clocks have finally adjusted!
We have plans for tomorrow AM, but I think we're open otherwise. Or all next week til Friday night

Dude... wait, what?

MarkDaSpark

LoonBoarder wrote:Razzin' frazzin' Valencia Hyatt wireless internet. Just got on tonight after we got back from a day at Universal Studios. Last night we went to DD's boyfriend's parents' for dinner. I think our internal clocks have finally adjusted!
We have plans for tomorrow AM, but I think we're open otherwise. Or all next week til Friday night

Okay, who's available tonight (Saturday), probably for dinner at San Antonio Winery?

Or would another night next week be better for everyone? Mon to Thursday?

zTimothyBz

quality posts: 2 Private Messages zTimothyBz

When will I be available?

Well, Saturday evening, I'm going to be at a hafla (bellydance party) at a yoga studio in Riverside. Sunday afternoon is an English Country Dance class in Culver City. And Wednesday, I'm planning on heading up to the Silent Movie Theater in Hollywood to see "It" (starring Clara Bow).

Oh, and I understand that next Saturday is something special, but don't recall what.

So let's pick a night so I can put it on my calendar.

-- T

Official holder of unofficial, unauthorized, non-woot gatherings.
My cellar

soochee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages soochee

We're available on Thursday if there's wine involved.

MarkDaSpark

soochee wrote:We're available on Thursday if there's wine involved.

Ummm, there's ALWAYS wine involved .... just not lint rollers everytime

So how does Thursday work for everyone else?

Say, around 7 PM?

San Antonio Winery?

Dinner and then a tour?

LoonBoarder

Thursday is open right now; if we reach consensus let's make this happen!

Dude... wait, what?

MarkDaSpark

LoonBoarder wrote:Thursday is open right now; if we reach consensus let's make this happen!

Ok, sounds like Thursday at 7pm is okay.

Now where?

San Antonio Winery for Dinner?

Or someplace else? Winebar?

javadrinker

MarkDaSpark wrote:Ok, sounds like Thursday at 7pm is okay.

Now where?

San Antonio Winery for Dinner?

Or someplace else? Winebar?

San Antonio dinner ends at 7pm so that's no good unless we start much earlier.

MarkDaSpark

javadrinker wrote:San Antonio dinner ends at 7pm so that's no good unless we start much earlier.

Ok, 6 or 6:30 then PEOPLE???

C'mon, let's show the loonies some SoCal hospitality!!!

MarkDaSpark

MarkDaSpark wrote:Ok, 6 or 6:30 then PEOPLE???

C'mon, let's show the loonies some SoCal hospitality!!!

Don't make me get the club out!!

Speak up now!

Thursday, July 2nd at 6:00 or 6:30 pm for Dinner? Meet at 5:30 or 6:00 for tour and tasting?

LoonBoarder +1 (or more?)
MarkDaSpark
JavaDrinker +1
Nostrom0
Soochee

Anyone else? AndyDuncan? PencilThieves? PSquishy? AnnSalisbury? Tim?

Hello? Is this thing on?

zTimothyBz

Java, why'd you have the winery close so early?

I doubt I'd leave work early enough to get up there in time. Thursday's going to holiday-weekend traffic. (I'd guess there's maybe a 5% chance the owner of our company will choose to close a bit early.) And since I have an electrician stopping by that morning, I lose the option of going in early.

Right now my plan is to see how things develop, and to try to meet up with y'all when I can.

-- T
p.s. to the Loons: Any chance you'd be up for seeing a silent film Wednesday evening?

My cellar

LoonBoarder

zTimothyBz wrote:Java, why'd you have the winery close so early?

I doubt I'd leave work early enough to get up there in time. Thursday's going to holiday-weekend traffic. (I'd guess there's maybe a 5% chance the owner of our company will choose to close a bit early.) And since I have an electrician stopping by that morning, I lose the option of going in early.

Right now my plan is to see how things develop, and to try to meet up with y'all when I can.

-- T
p.s. to the Loons: Any chance you'd be up for seeing a silent film Wednesday evening?

Just getting back from a trip out to Ventura, then down to Hollywood - putting a bunch of miles on the rental car.
DS and I are headed out for a round of golf in the AM, but we should be through in plenty of time to make it for 5:30. I'll confirm that we can make it - maybe as many as 5 of us!
[edit - :facepalm: - still have the pc on east coast time, of course we're talking about *tomorrow*... but still should work out.]

Dude... wait, what?

javadrinker

If it's dinner tomorrow at San Antonio Winery around 5:30(ish) then I'm in. Any later and we won't get to do any tasting before we're kicked out at 7pm. Also, my +1 can't make it so I'll be flying solo.

MarkDaSpark

javadrinker wrote:If it's dinner tomorrow at San Antonio Winery around 5:30(ish) then I'm in. Any later and we won't get to do any tasting before we're kicked out at 7pm. Also, my +1 can't make it so I'll be flying solo.

5:30 okay with everyone else too? Speak now or forever hold your peas ....

MarkDaSpark

MarkDaSpark wrote:

5:30 okay with everyone else too? Speak now or forever hold your peas ....

5:30 at http://www.sanantoniowinery.com/homefr.html]San Antonio Winery. Dinner stops at 6:00pm, so I'll make a reservation for 5:40pm.

737 Lamar Street, Los Angeles, CA 90031
323.223.1401 • 323.221.7261 fax

Maddelena Restaurant is different. You view sample entrees, put your salad, drink, & dessert on your tray, and they bring the entree to you.

Prices range $7.50 - $23.50
* Items Available Daily. Entreés include salad, bread and butter.

Partial List:

APPETIZERS
* Marinated Artichokes & Mushrooms
* Italian Salami and Cheese Antipasto
* Calamari Fritto
* Bruschetta

SALADS
* Cobb Salad
* Chicken Caesar Salad
* Grilled Chicken Breast Balsamic Salad
* European Green Salmon Salad
* Italian Tuna Salad

PASTA (ENTREÉS)
* Pasta of the Day
* Spaghetti with Meatballs or Sausages
* Maddalena Meat Lasagna
* Homemade Ravioli (Lobster, Mushroom or Spinach Ricotta)

CHICKEN (ENTREÉS)
* Rotisserie Chicken
* Chicken of the Day

MEAT (ENTREÉS)
* New York Steak

COLD PANINI
* Smoked Turkey & Cheese with 2 Side Orders
* Chicken Tarragon with 2 Side Orders
* Italian Sandwich with side of Salad

HOT PANINI
* Grilled Rib Eye with Fries
* Grilled Chicken Breast with Fries
* Grilled Tuna Melt with Fries
* Reuben Sandwich with 2 Side Orders
* Hot Roast Beef with 2 Side Orders
* Italian Meatballs with 2 Side Orders
* Italian Sausage with 2 Side Orders
* Seared Salmon with 2 Side Orders

Other items may be available as well, such as:

VEGETARIAN (ENTREÉS)
Capellini Pasta Ala Fresca
Pasta Romano with Olive Oil & Garlic
Spaghetti with Fresh Tomato & Basil
Lasagna Al Forno con Funghi

zTimothyBz

If a miracle (early company shutdown) happens, I'll be there. Otherwise, have fun kids.

-- T

My cellar

MarkDaSpark

Almost sounds like the last tour is at 4 pm. So if anyone wants to go, be there around 3:50 pm.