jwhite6114


quality posts: 119 Private Messages jwhite6114

DETAILS:
DATE: 7/26/09
TIME: 3:00PM (EST)
THEME: AVA Flagship
Bring a wine from an AVA that is known for that varietal. Examples: Chianti from Tuscany; Cab Sauv from Napa; Malbec from Argentina
HOST: PetiteSirah

ATTENDEES LIST (so far):

  1. madwine
  2. madwino
  3. cjsiege
    - cake
    - cake
    - cake
    - paper goods / utensils
  4. PetiteSirah
  5. jwhite
    - cheese / crackers
  6. NonVenomous
  7. NonVenomous+1
  8. cheron
  9. iByron
  10. InShadows
  11. synchrodan


MAYBES:
  1. brettashley01
  2. spdrcr05
  3. SeanOD
  4. nabrunk


REGRETS:
  1. Sonadora
  2. hershelk
  3. theresa1013
  4. Lasgar
  5. kkv123
  6. ddeuddeg
  7. bawhm
  8. brettashley01
  9. HaK


WINES:

last updated: 7/25

CT | | | | | |

HitAnyKey42


quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42

As I'm the one who just reminded JW to start this thread, I'll be the first to reply. As long as it's a date I can travel down there...I'm like there dude!

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

cjsiege


quality posts: 14 Private Messages cjsiege

My calendar is showing them being here the last week of July. Not sure if this is weekend inclusive.

jwhite6114


quality posts: 119 Private Messages jwhite6114

:ahem:

Madwine? Paging Madwine!

CT | | | | | |

madwine


quality posts: 3 Private Messages madwine

Gosh, Sorry, I'm on top of this . . but tomm. morn. I was just working on all the D.C. paperwork yesterday & today. I'm sooo excited!! (Yea, whatever, I was working on my mob & scrabble game too)!

Edit: I am very excited to see my D.C. peeps! I will post the dates tomm.



madwine


quality posts: 3 Private Messages madwine
cjsiege wrote:My calendar is showing them being here the last week of July. Not sure if this is weekend inclusive.



Yes! They are weekend inclusive. But one goes Sat. to Sat. and the other goes Sun. to Sun. I'll check the dates in the a.m.

Edit: Take that back. One is July 26 to July 31. The other is July 25 to July 30. We fly the 25th to the 2nd. Not the best dates for a get together, I know. Maybe we can do a happy hour?



HitAnyKey42


quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
madwine wrote:Edit: Take that back. One is July 26 to July 31. The other is July 25 to July 30. We fly the 25th to the 2nd. Not the best dates for a get together, I know. Maybe we can do a happy hour?



If you are flying home on the 2nd, that means you can go to a W.W event on Saturday night, Aug 1st, right?
I really want to be able to plan to come down to meet you guys, and I can't do that if it's just a happy hour.
C'mon girl, plan your trip better!

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

PetiteSirah


quality posts: 80 Private Messages PetiteSirah
madwine wrote:Yes! They are weekend inclusive. But one goes Sat. to Sat. and the other goes Sun. to Sun. I'll check the dates in the a.m.

Edit: Take that back. One is July 26 to July 31. The other is July 25 to July 30. We fly the 25th to the 2nd. Not the best dates for a get together, I know. Maybe we can do a happy hour?



Sunday night!!! :-D

Hail the victor, the king without flaw
Salute your new master ... Petite Sirah!


"Who has two thumbs and loves Petite Sirah?" ThisGuy!

madwine


quality posts: 3 Private Messages madwine
PetiteSirah wrote:Sunday night!!! :-D



The 26th? Yea!



cjsiege


quality posts: 14 Private Messages cjsiege

If we go with a Sunday, we may want to start a bit earlier in the day. Some of us *do* have to work the next morning.

PetiteSirah


quality posts: 80 Private Messages PetiteSirah
cjsiege wrote:If we go with a Sunday, we may want to start a bit earlier in the day. Some of us *do* have to work the next morning.



Fine by me!

Hail the victor, the king without flaw
Salute your new master ... Petite Sirah!


"Who has two thumbs and loves Petite Sirah?" ThisGuy!

madwine


quality posts: 3 Private Messages madwine
cjsiege wrote:If we go with a Sunday, we may want to start a bit earlier in the day. Some of us *do* have to work the next morning.



Yea, I know, the timing just stinks! I would love to see you though. We'll figure something out. Don't stress! I know you went over the map of D.C. w/ me when we were in Paso, but now I forget where everyone is and the driving distance. Sooooo... Math? Nope! Maps? Nope! Planning? Nope! I must be good at something?



madwine


quality posts: 3 Private Messages madwine
PetiteSirah wrote:Fine by me!



Sunday brunch Champagne tasting? I know CJ will like that! She loves her bubbly!



madwine


quality posts: 3 Private Messages madwine
HitAnyKey42 wrote:If you are flying home on the 2nd, that means you can go to a W.W event on Saturday night, Aug 1st, right?
I really want to be able to plan to come down to meet you guys, and I can't do that if it's just a happy hour.
C'mon girl, plan your trip better!



We would love to see you too! We will make this work, somehow, someway! Funny, my boys are gone for the week . . . (for the 1st time ever away from Mom) and every one else is working . . . I have to be in D.C. just in case . . . So, if a gathering doesn't work, I'll just come find you. What else to I have to do?



PetiteSirah


quality posts: 80 Private Messages PetiteSirah
madwine wrote:We would love to see you too! We will make this work, somehow, someway! Funny, my boys are gone for the week . . . (for the 1st time ever away from Mom) and every one else is working . . . I have to be in D.C. just in case . . . So, if a gathering doesn't work, I'll just come find you. What else to I have to do?



fold my laundry and drink my wine

Hail the victor, the king without flaw
Salute your new master ... Petite Sirah!


"Who has two thumbs and loves Petite Sirah?" ThisGuy!

jwhite6114


quality posts: 119 Private Messages jwhite6114

So in all of this, is there a date chosen?

CT | | | | | |

CpprCr8


quality posts: 5 Private Messages CpprCr8

I've got 7/26 on my calendar at home - starting earlier in the day and possibly a brunch/linner thing.

cjsiege & CpprCr8: A girl & a car, living the w.w dream!

HitAnyKey42


quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
CpprCr8 wrote:I've got 7/26 on my calendar at home - starting earlier in the day and possibly a brunch/linner thing.



I guess there's no possible way to do it as a Saturday shindig? I'm not sure if I can get down there for a Sunday thing.
Both because Sundays I have softball and the return trip would be a bit hellish with having to work on Monday.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

cjsiege


quality posts: 14 Private Messages cjsiege
HitAnyKey42 wrote:I guess there's no possible way to do it as a Saturday shindig? I'm not sure if I can get down there for a Sunday thing.
Both because Sundays I have softball and the return trip would be a bit hellish with having to work on Monday.


MW can chime in anytime, but my understanding is that they have family committments on the Saturdays.

madwine


quality posts: 3 Private Messages madwine
cjsiege wrote:MW can chime in anytime, but my understanding is that they have family committments on the Saturdays.



whelp (my dad used to say that), is that a word? One starts the Congressional Youth Leadership Council on Sat. And the other starts the National Young Scholars Medicine program on Sun. Yes! I am a proud momma! I would love to see all of you! apcray, let me check w/ Jon. AGAIN. CJ . . . you know where we are staying, right? Give me one more day . . or I just have to go find you all!



HitAnyKey42


quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
madwine wrote:whelp (my dad used to say that), is that a word? One starts the Congressional Youth Leadership Council on Sat. And the other starts the National Young Scholars Medicine program on Sun. Yes! I am a proud momma! I would love to see all of you! apcray, let me check w/ Jon. AGAIN. CJ . . . you know where we are staying, right? Give me one more day . . or I just have to go find you all!



Well if something doesn't get nailed down soon, you'll just have to come to NY to "find me".

In any case, if one of them is starting some thing on Saturday...that surely can't mean that you are totally unavailable Saturday night. I'm sure you can find a way to steal yourself away for a few hours. :nudge: :nudge:

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

sonadora


quality posts: 2 Private Messages sonadora

I'll be out for this one, sadly. Will be in Sonoma at the Wine Blogger Conference all week!

cjsiege


quality posts: 14 Private Messages cjsiege
sonadora wrote:I'll be out for this one, sadly. Will be in Sonoma at the Wine Blogger Conference all week!


But...but...but...couldn't you just blog into the blogging conference?

hershelk


quality posts: 6 Private Messages hershelk

I will have to pass on this one. I am going to Disney for my B-day (free B-day entry, how could I miss it).

CT

jwhite6114


quality posts: 119 Private Messages jwhite6114
madwine wrote:whelp (my dad used to say that), is that a word? One starts the Congressional Youth Leadership Council on Sat. And the other starts the National Young Scholars Medicine program on Sun. Yes! I am a proud momma! I would love to see all of you! apcray, let me check w/ Jon. AGAIN. CJ . . . you know where we are staying, right? Give me one more day . . or I just have to go find you all!



One more day?

Three more days?

Are you even coming to DC?

CT | | | | | |

NonVenomous


quality posts: 0 Private Messages NonVenomous

I'm totally new to Wine.Woot! so I'm wondering, can anyone attend? I'd love to try and buy some with the BF.

jwhite6114


quality posts: 119 Private Messages jwhite6114
NonVenomous wrote:I'm totally new to Wine.Woot! so I'm wondering, can anyone attend? I'd love to try and buy some with the BF.



Absolutely! Chime in on the appropriate thread (like this one) that you are interested in participating.

At this stage we're still trying to set a date (ahem! MW). Once that is set we'll find a host and a theme, and then folks start listing what they'll bring.

It's quite informal, and lots of fun.

CT | | | | | |

theresa1013


quality posts: 0 Private Messages theresa1013

Sorry to be a bit off-topic, but I was wondering if anyone here knows how to get in touch with wootvirgin/wv69. I have a few bottles of wine that I've been holding for him, but I haven't seen him around lately and I'm trying to find a way to reach him. Thanks!

NonVenomous


quality posts: 0 Private Messages NonVenomous
jwhite6114 wrote:Absolutely! Chime in on the appropriate thread (like this one) that you are interested in participating.

At this stage we're still trying to set a date (ahem! MW). Once that is set we'll find a host and a theme, and then folks start listing what they'll bring.

It's quite informal, and lots of fun.



Oh nice!! Well, I'd love to join in plus one! We are in North Virginia for now and I can gladly volunteer to help and possibly host a smaller gathering (I'm in an apartment) as long as no one minds coming to a houseful of snakes. lol.

jwhite6114


quality posts: 119 Private Messages jwhite6114
NonVenomous wrote:Oh nice!! Well, I'd love to join in plus one! We are in North Virginia for now and I can gladly volunteer to help and possibly host a smaller gathering (I'm in an apartment) as long as no one minds coming to a houseful of snakes. lol.



Snakes are cool ... how do they taste with wine?

(kidding! I used to own a boa, but got rid of him years ago).

CT | | | | | |

jwhite6114


quality posts: 119 Private Messages jwhite6114

OK, after much poking, prodding, and badgering, madwine has finally confirmed that the afternoon of Sunday July 26th is a good time for her and Jon.

So ... with that said ... do we have someone able to host this event?

CT | | | | | |

NonVenomous


quality posts: 0 Private Messages NonVenomous
jwhite6114 wrote:Snakes are cool ... how do they taste with wine?

(kidding! I used to own a boa, but got rid of him years ago).



Lol. I'm a breeder with 9 snakes for now (unfortunately I had to down size due to moving 7 hours from home) and as of today 22 eggs ready to hatch, expecting a new clutch of eggs in the next ten days so yeah, tons of baby snakes!

cheron98


quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
jwhite6114 wrote:Snakes are cool ... how do they taste with wine?

(kidding! I used to own a boa, but got rid of him years ago).



Mmm snakes. Python is chewy like gum and doesn't really go with wine. But rattlesnake - yum. Lots of little bones, but tasty with a nice crisp apply white.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

cheron98


quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
NonVenomous wrote:Lol. I'm a breeder with 9 snakes for now (unfortunately I had to down size due to moving 7 hours from home) and as of today 22 eggs ready to hatch, expecting a new clutch of eggs in the next ten days so yeah, tons of baby snakes!



Wow, that is just amazingly awesome

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

NonVenomous


quality posts: 0 Private Messages NonVenomous
cheron98 wrote:Mmm snakes. Python is chewy like gum and doesn't really go with wine. But rattlesnake - yum. Lots of little bones, but tasty with a nice crisp apply white.



Lol... It all tastes just like chicken anyways.


Now, please excuse another newb question...
Will this be a Woot! wine event where we will be able to try and buy, or is this a personal party where we bring our own to share and try?

We made a nice Green Apple Riesling last year I wouldn't mind sharing.

cheron98


quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
jwhite6114 wrote:OK, after much poking, prodding, and badgering, madwine has finally confirmed that the afternoon of Sunday July 26th is a good time for her and Jon.

So ... with that said ... do we have someone able to host this event?



Wow. I'm really loving Southwest's travel change policies.

So I'm canceling the Labor Day weekend flight, and totally coming out for this one. Because I must meet MadWine!

Arriving in BWI, on the 25th at 10am, Departing on the 26th at 8:40pm. So it'd better be "afternoon"

Yay!

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

cheron98


quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
NonVenomous wrote:Lol... It all tastes just like chicken anyways.


Now, please excuse another newb question...
Will this be a Woot! wine event where we will be able to try and buy, or is this a personal party where we bring our own to share and try?

We made a nice Green Apple Riesling last year I wouldn't mind sharing.



made?

These tasting events are just "everybody bring stuff to try" - no purchase opportunities. It's more a way for us to meet up with each other and to try stuff we might not otherwise get a chance to try. Wines that have previously been on woot are generally brought out, so people who have missed out on offers can see just what they've missed

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

cheron98


quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98

So... can someone come get me and bring me back and let me crash with them or should I rent a car?

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

PetiteSirah


quality posts: 80 Private Messages PetiteSirah
cheron98 wrote:So... can someone come get me and bring me back and let me crash with them or should I rent a car?



To the extent there is still furniture in my house (and there will be a pull-out couch) you are welcome to stay and I should be able to go get you.

Besides, I'll need the power of all 8 arms to help me pack!

Hail the victor, the king without flaw
Salute your new master ... Petite Sirah!


"Who has two thumbs and loves Petite Sirah?" ThisGuy!

cheron98


quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
PetiteSirah wrote:To the extent there is still furniture in my house (and there will be a pull-out couch) you are welcome to stay and I should be able to go get you.

Besides, I'll need the power of all 8 arms to help me pack!



And there will be 2 cases of wine JUST FOR YOU coming out with me Yay Southwest and free baggage check.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"