Quality Posts

Corrado

quality posts: 130 Private Messages Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

Russian River Backyard Chardonnay Trio
$34.99 + $5 shipping
Condition: White
Product: 1 C & T Cellars Chardonnay 3 Pack

Okay, I'm a bit dense. Not quite getting the clues.

CT Link above ($14.50/bottle average).

Corrado's Training Blog @ http://DrawnOutsideTheLinesOfReason.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/Corrado

It's not my fault that I love Gatzby! He's such a pretty, pretty "man."

lassow

quality posts: 132 Private Messages lassow

Think I got first sucker

I like to talk about wine, but I'd rather drink it.

vwap

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vwap

Wahoo! SWMBO enjoys Chard, and we're both pretty novice wine drinkers and learning more about'em, and this was relatively inexpensive so it was easy buy. Not that price determines quality, but WD has had a pretty good track record of quality juice..

Russian River Backyard Chardonnay Trio
Current numbers (updated each minute)
First sucker: vwap
Speed to first woot: 0m -2.-990s

j-o-h-n

quality posts: 4 Private Messages j-o-h-n

Russian River = j-o-h-n is in

Higher prices AND crappier blanks, no thank you

lassow

quality posts: 132 Private Messages lassow

ARRRRGGGHH!!!! Totally thought I had it. rats

I like to talk about wine, but I'd rather drink it.

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 173 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

The usual Beginning of the week listing of upcoming Wine.Woot gatherings (Courtesy of cjsiege):

cjsiege wrote:~~~ We interrupt this thread for a Public Service Announcement: ~~~
Upcoming Woot Wine Gatherings…The Early Edition for the week of May 25
Visit our Wine.Woot Event Calendar on Google Calendar!

May
5/30: Colorado #3: Sparkyclaus is Coming to Town!
5/30: NoVA/DC #13: Start of the Summer
5/30: Connecticut #4

June
6/6: Dallas #3: Cravin’ Crepes Woot Wine Dinner
6/13: NorCal #1: Calistoga
TBD: NYC #12
TBD: SoCal #10

July
7/18: NYC/CT/NoVA/DC - Sip & Sail-Summer Wine Tasting Cruise Around Manhattan
TBD: SE Florida #1

August
8/15: Detroit #?: Superspryte is Back In Town!

October
TBD: SoCal #?: Otolith Visits San Diego

Looking for some helping hands:~~~ We now return you to your regularly scheduled GTKY Thread.~~~

And you just missed 5/23: SoCal #9: An Evening with John Alan

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

koneco

quality posts: 16 Private Messages koneco

Woohoo! No New Hampshire shipping! This makes saving cash EASY.

If woot! wants to sell me something, it's gotta be for the stereo in my car! ... yknow, the normal woot. Or sellout.

MarkDaSpark

Was wondering what the barrel-ageing in neutral oak for 12 month, then putting it back into stainless does for the wine?

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

For all those new to “Labrat” and/or “rattery” …..

Cheron98 has kindly put all information about the Labrat program at the beginning of the Labrat Thread (where she kindly and graciously cross-posts all the labrat posts into one convenient place).

She has the rules of "rattery" there. As well as a listing of the labrats and offers from June 2 of last year (2008).

In essence, you sign up for the labrat program, which makes you eligible to receive an additional bottle from the current offer (via FedEx overnight) if:

a) You purchase the current offer before the deadline (usually 10 am CT, first day of the offer).

There are no set guidelines other than doing your best to present your opinions about the labrat bottle in a timely manner (since there may be some people on the fence about the current offer, and are waiting for your opinions). You can be as creative (or not) as you want. Read thru some of the previous labrats to get an idea. There are a lot of humorous reports, as well as serious ones.

Some have used the UC Davis Wine Scoring System and others have used the Parker 100 point system. Others have just used “It’s Good!”. There is no right or wrong way to report.

For a quick overview of the majority of wine scoring systems, the DeLong Wine Ratings Review is available as a PDF.

DeLong Wine has been on Wine.Woot before with their Varietal Chart and Tasting Books, and sponsors The Century Club for those who have tasted over 100 different varietals (and we have several Wine.Wooters as members, with others on the verge). Check out Century Club thread in the World of Woot Wine for more info. And they’ve added a “Doppel Member” status for those who have tasted over 200 different varietals. They are supposed to have a new form (Word and Excel) in May to help with the 200.

MarkDaSpark

Winery Link: C&T Cellars

Link to last offer and last thread by C&T Cellars (August 19, 2007).

Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

So, assuming Trent will meander over this way, I don't think I've seen a wine offered here that started in oak (neutral or otherwise), and then put back into stainless. I assume the reason for returning the wine to stainless vs. bottling was to age it en masse.

How much longer was the wine in the big tanks and what led to the decision to bulk-age vs. bottle and hold then age in the bottle?

edit: evidently MDS saw that as well, but was not quite so distracted by "Deadliest Catch" and typed faster.

joelsisk

quality posts: 7 Private Messages joelsisk
Corrado wrote:So, assuming Trent will meander over this way, I don't think I've seen a wine offered here that started in oak (neutral or otherwise), and then put back into stainless. I assume the reason for returning the wine to stainless vs. bottling was to age it en masse.

How much longer was the wine in the big tanks and what led to the decision to bulk-age vs. bottle and hold then age in the bottle?

And I'll assume that the neutral oak makes this less buttery and more crisp/acidic?

ps. Corrado - your facebook link is expired

MarkDaSpark

Corrado wrote:So, assuming Trent will meander over this way, I don't think I've seen a wine offered here that started in oak (neutral or otherwise), and then put back into stainless. I assume the reason for returning the wine to stainless vs. bottling was to age it en masse.

edit: evidently MDS saw that as well, but was not quite so distracted by "Deadliest Catch" and typed faster.

Muwhahahahahahaha!

sbsyncro

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sbsyncro

Or, as I am hoping, to tame the oakiness that is over-prevalent in a lot of Napa chardonnays

Does anyone know how "oaky" this particular chardonnay is? I am NOT a fan of the big, malolactic/oak-heavy chards, and much prefer the crisper "green apple/citrus" style chardonnays...

If its the latter, I'm in for three!

Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

joelsisk wrote:And I'll assume that the neutral oak makes this less buttery and more crisp/acidic?

ps. Corrado - your facebook link is expired

"fixed" the sig (was thinking that it was a bit outdated anywho.)

As for the barrel aging, I would also expect that the neutral oaking was designed to minimize the 'new oak' effect. My big curiosity was that the wine was returned back to stainless before bottling.

joelsisk

Corrado wrote:"fixed" the sig (was thinking that it was a bit outdated anywho.)

A picture of a semi-frozen, wet man with a grimace on his face is never outdated. Hmmm, where's Eric when you need a straight man?

(see what I did there?)

jwink

quality posts: 39 Private Messages jwink

Trent, the real question may be at what stage was the fruit/juice when you purchased it? Did you by surplus fruit? Was it already fermented, was it just juice, or was it in the referenced oak barrels waiting for someone like to to come along and figure out if they wanted to put it into new oak or just combine a bunch of barrels into a giant stainless vat?

What can you tell us about this specific wine purchase you made (without getting in trouble as you mention in the blog)? I think what the others are asking as well (along with me) is along the lines of, "why did you make the decisions you did with this wine?" That is if there were any to be made other than the purchase if it was in a "final stage".

Follow me on Twitter
Blooging away

joelsisk

And just in case you didn't have enough notice with CJ's PSA, Colorado #3 is next weekend in Denver. Anyone and everyone is welcome! We are close to being outnumbered by out-of-towners as it is! Come join the fun!

/shameless plug

thrawn1020

quality posts: 23 Private Messages thrawn1020
jwink wrote:Trent, the real question may be at what stage was the fruit/juice when you purchased it? Did you by surplus fruit? Was it already fermented, was it just juice, or was it in the referenced oak barrels waiting for someone like to to come along and figure out if they wanted to put it into new oak or just combine a bunch of barrels into a giant stainless vat?

What can you tell us about this specific wine purchase you made (without getting in trouble as you mention in the blog)? I think what the others are asking as well (along with me) is along the lines of, "why did you make the decisions you did with this wine?" That is if there were any to be made other than the purchase if it was in a "final stage".

Seconded.

Not too many to count, but dang. This place has a way of building a cellar for you.

yathink2

quality posts: 4 Private Messages yathink2

Trent, what does the 4% Napa do for the wine and when was it added? Thanks

Edelfaeule

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Edelfaeule
MarkDaSpark wrote:Was wondering what the barrel-ageing in neutral oak for 12 month, then putting it back into stainless does for the wine?

I have seen this done in several Pinot gris wines both domestic and Alsatian, and share your curiosity.

A few more questions for the winemaker:

-I would like to know if the wine was aged sur lie at all. If so, how long, and was bâttonage performed during this period?

-Were ambient or cultured yeasts used for fermentation?

-At what temperature was the wine fermented?

I'm fairly ignorant regarding négociant winemaking, recent blog post notwithstanding. I'm assuming that even if the wine was purchased after fermentation that you would have to know (or deduce from tasting the wine) the answers to these questions for blending or finishing purposes.

kevinx82

quality posts: 3 Private Messages kevinx82

Trent, I have sort of off-topic/off-current offering questions. I was "googling" the potential wine offering from WD's clue yesterday, and I came across multiple labels/wineries/vineyards that you participate in. How many labels/wineries/vineyards are you involved in? I saw at least 4-5 labels? What percentage of the wines you produce apply Negociant methodology?

MoveoverCinderella

quality posts: 3 Private Messages MoveoverCinderella

Trent, I have no questions...just a happy girl here that loves Charda"yeah"!!! In for two and all ways available....wink!

Love it or leave it!

artulo

quality posts: 13 Private Messages artulo

In for two - hard to resist at this price and looks very interesting with the combination of Russian River Valley plus the aging techniques employed here. Hope some of the above questions get answered.

I'm on staycation this week! Woot!

brentesq

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brentesq

I've been wooting wine for about 8 months, but this is my first post. Thanks all for the lively and helpful discussions.

I'm in for two and looking forward to them. I'd also be happy to labrat, but understand if my newbie status works against me.

thrawn1020

quality posts: 23 Private Messages thrawn1020
brentesq wrote:I've been wooting wine for about 8 months, but this is my first post. Thanks all for the lively and helpful discussions.

I'm in for two and looking forward to them. I'd also be happy to labrat, but understand if my newbie status works against me.

Welcome! Don't be intimidated by the whole thing, collectively we are always happy to help! And sign up for labrat anyway, being new doesn't always work against you.

Oh, and put the credit card on ice, that way you don't try to bust it out too often here. And forget all of the CVV codes on the back, so at least the darn thing has to unfreeze first. Your monthly bill will thank you.

Not too many to count, but dang. This place has a way of building a cellar for you.

JOATMON

quality posts: 19 Private Messages JOATMON
MarkDaSpark wrote:For all those new to “Labrat” and/or “rattery” …..

Are there going to be rats? Monday is a holiday, and I'm assuming no ability to ship FedEx.

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

MarkDaSpark

JOATMON wrote:Are there going to be rats? Monday is a holiday, and I'm assuming no ability to ship FedEx.

WD could still send them out tomorrow (Tuesday) for Wednesday delivery. The rats just need to hop to it .... before the new offer at Midnight.

WineDavid, perhaps this would be a good time to email the labrats to expect packages on Wednesday (if you are sending out labrat packages, that is).

MarkDaSpark

brentesq wrote:I've been wooting wine for about 8 months, but this is my first post. Thanks all for the lively and helpful discussions.

It actually doesn't work against you. WineDavid sends to newbies and oldies. There is a wide variety of people here, and sometimes it helps to get labrat impressions from those new to wine as well.

And welcome!! Good first post!

jwhite6114

quality posts: 119 Private Messages jwhite6114

How good is this deal?

At this price, I predict a lot of folks will be drinking a fair amount of C&T Chardonnay this summer.

Click the link above for discount details, CT prices, links, info, and all kinds of delicious goodness (OK, so the delicious goodness doesn't quite come through on a webpage, but the rest is there).

CT | | | | | |

CTmasterblender

quality posts: 16 Private Messages CTmasterblender

Good question and there are a couple of reasons. First, I like the wine as is when I bought it and thought more oak aging would take away from the fruit and the brightness of the wine. In stainless I can protect it better and I hade to put it through heat and cold stabilizing. The second reason was really timing, it was harvest time and the wrong time to bottle at the winery.

CTmasterblender

sbsyncro wrote:Or, as I am hoping, to tame the oakiness that is over-prevalent in a lot of Napa chardonnays

Does anyone know how "oaky" this particular chardonnay is? I am NOT a fan of the big, malolactic/oak-heavy chards, and much prefer the crisper "green apple/citrus" style chardonnays...

If its the latter, I'm in for three!

SORRY EVERYONE - It's been a big Vineyard morning.

This is not a big oaky wine, it has great fruit and acidity. I think it is a perfect summer Chard that you can enjoy with or without food.

CTmasterblender

jwink wrote:Trent, the real question may be at what stage was the fruit/juice when you purchased it? Did you by surplus fruit? Was it already fermented, was it just juice, or was it in the referenced oak barrels waiting for someone like to to come along and figure out if they wanted to put it into new oak or just combine a bunch of barrels into a giant stainless vat?

This was a rare situation were I new the winemaker who was hired by a couple to make a Russian River Chard from a pretty nice vineyard to start there own label. They got cold feet at some point and stopped playing the winery and the winemaker, so my friend called me and asked if I was interested. Of course I was because first I really respect this winemaker and second I love Russian River Chards. I went and tried the wine, bought it and moved it to Monticello where I bottle my C&T wines. This is when it got put into stainless and stabilized for bottling. This is a pretty rare situation, but one of the reasons I love doing a Negociant label. It was a really good day !!

Sorry I have to run to a blending session, I will be back online in an hour or so. Sorry for my late start. I really hope you all enjoy this wine, I sure have.

Trent

CTmasterblender

MoveoverCinderella wrote:Trent, I have no questions...just a happy girl here that loves Charda"yeah"!!! In for two and all ways available....wink!

Thanks

CTmasterblender

yathink2 wrote:Trent, what does the 4% Napa do for the wine and when was it added? Thanks

That is a miss print of Woots side. It's 100% Russian River. IF I were to do that I would probably be looking for creaminess or oak, but that isn't my style of Chard.

jwink

quality posts: 39 Private Messages jwink
CTmasterblender wrote:SORRY EVERYONE - It's been a big Vineyard morning.

This is not a big oaky wine, it has great fruit and acidity. I think it is a perfect summer Chard that you can enjoy with or without food.

In your opinion, this wine should be consumed this summer? With the absence of oak and being fruit forward (I'm guessing) that it may be at its peak for the next 12-18 months?

VERY hard to resist based on your reply above regarding how you came to purchase this wine. With the description story, and your blog, we may be approaching Block 13 QPR. My credit card is in the freezer as it's been over-stressed during the last few offerings.

Follow me on Twitter
Blooging away

Winedavid39

quality posts: 196 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

MarkDaSpark wrote:WD could still send them out tomorrow (Tuesday) for Wednesday delivery. The rats just need to hop to it .... before the new offer at Midnight.

WineDavid, perhaps this would be a good time to email the labrats to expect packages on Wednesday (if you are sending out labrat packages, that is).

rats will go out Tuesday for Wednesday delivery.

gonna have to hussle.

memongo

quality posts: 2 Private Messages memongo

There's no vintage date listed. 2007? 2006?

andyduncan

quality posts: 32 Private Messages andyduncan
memongo wrote:There's no vintage date listed. 2007? 2006?

2006, it's buried in the description

I'm putting WD's kids through college.