REGRETS:

1. CalTiki
2. wombativ
3. MarkDaSpark
4. JOATMON

Updated: 6/10

mewalk707

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mewalk707
mewalk707 wrote:Now I guess we should talk about what time to start and theme. Any ideas?

Yes, i'm replying to my own post. This is my theme idea:

Non-traditional growing region (or however best it would be to word that)

I recently tried a St. Supery Malbec and it made me wonder how it fares along side the Argentinian that we had here a little while back.

It could go something like this:

--Colores del Sol Malbec vs. St. Supery Malbec (I have both ready to go!)
--Gabbiano Chianti Riserva vs. _______ Sangiovese
--etc.

What do you think?

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
mewalk707 wrote:Yes, i'm replying to my own post. This is my theme idea:

I recently tried a St. Supery Malbec and it made me wonder how it fares along side the Argentinian that we had here a little while back.

--etc.

What do you think?

I'm for it. Although I'm in So Cal. Our next meeting's theme is "They Grow Wine Where?" so that could be a more catchy name to the theme you are trying to get at. And you may steal it. It wasn't my idea anyway!

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

PetiteSirah

quality posts: 78 Private Messages PetiteSirah

You know who's in Calistoga? My favorite of the ProducerS, Vincent Arroyo.

Any Calistoga-centric tasting would be remiss without several of his wines, especially his PS (Rattlesnake Acres, Winemaker's Reserve, Regular, Greenwood Ranch, in decreasing order of preference).

Hail the victor, the king without flaw
Salute your new master ... Petite Sirah!

"Who has two thumbs and loves Petite Sirah?" ThisGuy!

CAGrl

quality posts: 13 Private Messages CAGrl

I will be plus one. Bringing the hubby along. Hmmm, do you know of any good dog friendly hotels in the area? And is your place doggy friendly? I might be make it a weekend and spend Saturday night up there with our dog.

CAGrl

mewalk707 wrote:Yes, i'm replying to my own post. This is my theme idea:

--etc.

What do you think?

Great idea. My friend and I tried this Malbec that was awesome. I'm gonna need some more guidance since I'm not very familiar with wines and wineries. But I can definitely grab a bottle of the malbec that I tried, I believe it was Gascon 2006 (or 2007).

tenuki

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tenuki

Hmm, I can pick up whatever. I've also still got the Spatburgunder Assmannhauser (German pinot noir).

CT

mewalk707

CAGrl wrote:I will be plus one. Bringing the hubby along. Hmmm, do you know of any good dog friendly hotels in the area? And is your place doggy friendly? I might be make it a weekend and spend Saturday night up there with our dog.

My house is doggy friendly as long as your doggy is kitty friendly. Not that she'll stick around to find out. My yard however, is not doggy secure. It is only partially fenced.

Let me see what I can find out about dog friendly hotels. I'll let you know what I come up with.

CAGrl

mewalk707 wrote:My house is doggy friendly as long as your doggy is kitty friendly. Not that she'll stick around to find out. My yard however, is not doggy secure. It is only partially fenced.

Let me see what I can find out about dog friendly hotels. I'll let you know what I come up with.

Thanks. My dog doesn't quite know what to do with cats, but she doesn't attack or bark at them. Thanks for the help on the hotel recommendations.

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 174 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
PetiteSirah wrote:You know who's in Calistoga? My favorite of the ProducerS, Vincent Arroyo.

Any Calistoga-centric tasting would be remiss without several of his wines, especially his PS (Rattlesnake Acres, Winemaker's Reserve, Regular, Greenwood Ranch, in decreasing order of preference).

Oh man! Rock Wall Wine (location of D&D in February) is having an Open House on the 13th from 12:00 to 5:00 pm for their new wines. They just bottled a Zinfandel, a Zinfandel Reserve, a Cabernet Sauvignon, a Petite Sirah, a Tannat and two blends, Rock Star Rouge and Rock Star Blanc.

Now I want to come up and visit you guys .... and hit Rock Wall before (Sip and Spit). But then while I'm up that way, have to go to Sonoma and Napa. $$$$$

Hmmm, don't feed the son ... carry the one .... skip coffee for a month ... or two ...

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

mewalk707

CAGrl wrote:Thanks. My dog doesn't quite know what to do with cats, but she doesn't attack or bark at them. Thanks for the help on the hotel recommendations.

I stopped at the visitor center today. This is their list of pet friendly lodgings. All phone numbers are 707-942-____ unless otherwise noted.

Bear Flag Inn - 5534
Brannan Cottage Inn - 4200
Calistoga Village Inn - 0991
Chanric Inn - 4535
Chateau de Vie - 6446
Chien Blanc - 1655
Calistoga Ranch - 9476
Enchanted Cottage - 9463
Hillcrest B&B - 6334
Meadowlark - 5651
Mountain Home Ranch - 6616
Pink Mansion - 0558
Solage - 866-942-7442
Trailside Inn - 4106
Washington St. Lodge - 6968
Wisteria Garden Cottages - 5358

I have no idea what the price ranges are for these. If they are too much or unavailable you guys can always crash at my place. We can put one of my air mattresses in the "extra" room. It used to be a garage. Now it's just used for storage. In the summertime it's the coolest room in the house.

mewalk707

MarkDaSpark wrote:Oh man! Rock Wall Wine (location of D&D in February) is having an Open House on the 13th from 12:00 to 5:00 pm for their new wines. They just bottled a Zinfandel, a Zinfandel Reserve, a Cabernet Sauvignon, a Petite Sirah, a Tannat and two blends, Rock Star Rouge and Rock Star Blanc.

Now I want to come up and visit you guys .... and hit Rock Wall before (Sip and Spit). But then while I'm up that way, have to go to Sonoma and Napa. $$$$$

Hmmm, don't feed the son ... carry the one .... skip coffee for a month ... or two ...

Stop at Rock Wall, then come to Calistoga... you know you want to. Bring your air mattress and i'll give you dibs on the living room.

Well, my NorCal friends... what can we use to entice Sparky??

mewalk707

I'm going to throw out another idea for theme. Let's have a picnic! It's probably going to be a nice warm day. I'll get a tri-tip from Busters BBQ (yummm), somebody can bring some potato salad, etc.

Are there picnic type wines?? I really don't know. I'm just looking for an excuse to make eric9tx's white sangria. It sounds so good.

MarkDaSpark

mewalk707 wrote:Stop at Rock Wall, then come to Calistoga... you know you want to. Bring your air mattress and i'll give you dibs on the living room.

Well, my NorCal friends... what can we use to entice Sparky??

Interesting idea ..... although do you have any dogs?

And it would mean not going to sleep until the party is over .....

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

mewalk707

MarkDaSpark wrote:Interesting idea ..... although do you have any dogs?

And it would mean not going to sleep until the party is over .....

No dogs, except CAGrl might be bringing hers.

The party will be outside. If we move indoors in the evening we will probably go to the kitchen. My living room is small and at the far end of the house. The house has a weird layout. The kitchen is larger and much more group-friendly.

MarkDaSpark

mewalk707 wrote:No dogs, except CAGrl might be bringing hers.

The party will be outside. If we move indoors in the evening we will probably go to the kitchen. My living room is small and at the far end of the house. The house has a weird layout. The kitchen is larger and much more group-friendly.

Could work then. Put me down as a Maybe. Have to see finances (since you KNOW I'll be going to wineries) and stuff. May not know til next week sometime.

And the reason I asked about dogs, is that my sister's dog always loves to wake me up early in the morning (New Year's Day) by licking my face. And Nostrom0 had one dog that snored and another who climbed up on my airbed.

Nostrom0

quality posts: 13 Private Messages Nostrom0
MarkDaSpark wrote:And Nostrom0 had one dog that snored and another who climbed up on my airbed.

Yeah, but when I came in the two of you were spooning.

Stash at CT

MarkDaSpark

Nostrom0 wrote:Yeah, but when I came in the two of you were spooning.

Only because he thought I was you ....

CAGrl

mewalk707 wrote:I stopped at the visitor center today. This is their list of pet friendly lodgings. All phone numbers are 707-942-____ unless otherwise noted.

Bear Flag Inn - 5534
Brannan Cottage Inn - 4200
Calistoga Village Inn - 0991
Chanric Inn - 4535
Chateau de Vie - 6446
Chien Blanc - 1655
Calistoga Ranch - 9476
Enchanted Cottage - 9463
Hillcrest B&B - 6334
Meadowlark - 5651
Mountain Home Ranch - 6616
Pink Mansion - 0558
Solage - 866-942-7442
Trailside Inn - 4106
Washington St. Lodge - 6968
Wisteria Garden Cottages - 5358

I have no idea what the price ranges are for these. If they are too much or unavailable you guys can always crash at my place. We can put one of my air mattresses in the "extra" room. It used to be a garage. Now it's just used for storage. In the summertime it's the coolest room in the house.

Sorry for the late response. Thanks so much for the recommendations. I really appreciate it all. I will definitely have to look them up when I have the time. Or take you up on your offer of the "extra" room. Not sure yet though.

CAGrl

mewalk707 wrote:I'm going to throw out another idea for theme. Let's have a picnic! It's probably going to be a nice warm day. I'll get a tri-tip from Busters BBQ (yummm), somebody can bring some potato salad, etc.

Are there picnic type wines?? I really don't know. I'm just looking for an excuse to make eric9tx's white sangria. It sounds so good.

Picnic or outdoor bbq sounds like a great idea. Guess we should really figure out what to get and what to do since it's only couple weeks away. I'm so excited about it.

CAGrl

MarkDaSpark wrote:Could work then. Put me down as a Maybe. Have to see finances (since you KNOW I'll be going to wineries) and stuff. May not know til next week sometime.

And the reason I asked about dogs, is that my sister's dog always loves to wake me up early in the morning (New Year's Day) by licking my face. And Nostrom0 had one dog that snored and another who climbed up on my airbed.

You should come! You know you really want to. Who doesn't wanto to come visit wine country and meet new people. By the way, my dog loves to lick my husband's face every morning, but she does stop if you don't move.

tenuki

Just sort of lurking until things get set, might be +2 as I'll ask J and worstveg.

CT

MarkDaSpark

tenuki wrote:Just sort of lurking until things get set, might be +2 as I'll ask J and worstveg.

That might get me to make it up there ....

mewalk707

I just bought two sets each of these and these. Gotta love buy one get one free. We should be set for glasses. Decanters on the other hand... I have two coffee pots and a blender carafe. If this is a problem someone might want to consider bringing one. I wonder where I could get a nice decanter?

tenuki

MarkDaSpark wrote:That might get me to make it up there ....

And if you do we should totally hit Mumm since all of US want to go :P

CT

MarkDaSpark

tenuki wrote:And if you do we should totally hit Mumm since all of US want to go :P

You just want to use my special Mumm pin that Bubblykindofgal got us for the youknowwhat tour ....

wombativ

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wombativ
MarkDaSpark wrote:You just want to use my special Mumm pin that Bubblykindofgal got us for the youknowwhat tour ....

Insert "Santana Champ" and "On a Boat" references here . . .

Nostrom0

MarkDaSpark wrote:That might get me to make it up there ....

Hey, I'll fly you up there, but there's a 2-case carry-on limit :P

Stash at CT

joannevicious

quality posts: 4 Private Messages joannevicious

I'm pretty much a "no" with a slight chance of "yes." We'll be getting back from a week in Boston late on the 12th AND there's a possibility of a conflicting dinner party. On the off-chance I am able to go, kittykris's idea of an East Bay carpool sounds fabulous (and I just got this, not that I'd want to be the designated driver :-P).

I think I'll organize the NorCal #2 for July/August. Probably at Felini, I'll see if I can arrange a waved corkage on a weekend so we don't have to go on a Tuesday (assuming people are interested).

mewalk707

joannevicious wrote:I'm pretty much a "no" with a slight chance of "yes." We'll be getting back from a week in Boston late on the 12th AND there's a possibility of a conflicting dinner party. On the off-chance I am able to go, kittykris's idea of an East Bay carpool sounds fabulous (and I just got this, not that I'd want to be the designated driver :-P).

I think I'll organize the NorCal #2 for July/August. Probably at Felini, I'll see if I can arrange a waved corkage on a weekend so we don't have to go on a Tuesday (assuming people are interested).

It sounds like you have a lot going on. I hope you can make it, but if you don't I will see you at NorCal #2. Count me in even if it's a tuesday.

kittykris, got your pm and have responded. Would love to have you join us

mewalk707

Nostrom0 wrote:Hey, I'll fly you up there, but there's a 2-case carry-on limit :P

Hmmm... do I add you as a maybe? Or are you just teasing Sparky because you know he won't be able to stay under 2 cases?

Nostrom0

mewalk707 wrote:Hmmm... do I add you as a maybe? Or are you just teasing Sparky because you know he won't be able to stay under 2 cases?

Definitely put me down on the Maybe's. Can't let Sparky represent alone.

Stash at CT

MarkDaSpark

Nostrom0 wrote:Hey, I'll fly you up there, but there's a 2-case carry-on limit :P

Fine .... We'll talk ...

Or do you want to carpool up? No two-case limit then!!!

CAGrl

So have we decided on a time yet? And what we're actually going to be doing? Just curious.

Nostrom0

MarkDaSpark wrote:

Fine .... We'll talk ...

Or do you want to carpool up? No two-case limit then!!!

But driving is so... pedestrian. Either way but flying is way better.

Stash at CT

MarkDaSpark

Nostrom0 wrote:But driving is so... pedestrian. Either way but flying is way better.

Flying would be way better to get there and back, but how to get those three ... err, two cases back .....

Plus if it's a two case limit, I'm not sure you really want me to wear the same clothes the whole time ...

And if you and Java aren't going up there this weekend, he might want to join us .... and I heard it's quite cramped in the luggage compartment

Nostrom0

MarkDaSpark wrote:Flying would be way better to get there and back, but how to get those three ... err, two cases back .....

Plus if it's a two case limit, I'm not sure you really want me to wear the same clothes the whole time ...

And if you and Java aren't going up there this weekend, he might want to join us .... and I heard it's quite cramped in the luggage compartment

If Java comes then of course drive. Then we can each bring two cases home.

Edit: Do you want me to make hotel arrangements? I can see if there's vacancy here

Stash at CT

MarkDaSpark

Nostrom0 wrote:If Java comes then of course drive. Then we can each bring two cases home.

Edit: Do you want me to make hotel arrangements? I can see if there's vacancy here

Looks interesting. How much?

Nostrom0

MarkDaSpark wrote:Looks interesting. How much?

Nevermind. They're booked solid for Saturday.

Stash at CT

MarkDaSpark

Nostrom0 wrote:Nevermind. They're booked solid for Saturday.

Just as well. I have dibs on Mewalk's living room with my airbed.