PetiteSirah

quality posts: 79 Private Messages PetiteSirah

Hey guys.

My buddy Richard Shaffer, the man behind IsraeliWineDirect is interested in meeting some of us on 5/15. He's based in Chicago, but he'll be in Philly on 5/14, and would like to stop by and regale us with Israeli wine the following evening if there's sufficient interest. Since he's not local, this is the only date that will work, and I need to let him know by Monday evening.

He'd like to get 25 people total to show up, and he'll supply some wine (and I might add some myself), and you (and I) will supply glasses, corkscrews, & decanters/vinturis (if necessary).

Unlike a traditional woot tasting, though, there'd be an opportunity to buy; much like winery visits, especially those where the cost of tasting is low or free, there is an expectation that at least some of us will buy/order some wine if we like what we try.

Location -- KKV Clubhouse. For those of you who don't know it, PM or email me for the address.

YES!
-------

1. Loweeel
  2. Loweeel's friend Joe
  3. Joe's wife Anna
  4. Loweeel's friend Rachel
  5. CJ
  6. InShadows
  7. Synchrodan
  8. Synchrodanielle
  9. kkv123
  10. Tripgrad
  11. Tripgrad +1
  12. spdrcr05
  13. Loweeel's friend Jamie
  14. Loweeel's intern Rob
  15. Loweeel's friend Rob
  16. ? spdrcr05 +1

MIA:
  • jwhite
  • smartheart
  • schuey
  • Other NoVA/DC peeps

Regrets:
  • Hershel
  • Sonadora
  • Matt
  • Joel
  • Lasgar
  • iB
  • kesbeck
  • wv69

And here's what we'll be drinking!
From Richard:
  1. 2007 White Blend, 70% Gewurz 30% SB ($19, 14.0% ABV)
  2. DanielRogov wrote:A somewhat odd blend of 70% Gewurztraminer and 30% Sauvignon Blanc, medium-bodied, dry, but so highly aromatic and fruit-forward that you might think this was a sweet wine. On the nose and palate litchis, tropical fruits, ripe peaches, and notes of grass...

3. 2007 Sauvignon Blanc ($24, 13.0% ABV)
  4. DanielRogov wrote:Light, bright, and lively with pears and passion fruit at its core, those opening to show grapefruit, floral, and light mineral notes in the background. Unoaked, a fresh and thoroughly appealing wine finishing with an elegant note.

5. 2005 Merlot ($25, Shimson/Samson, 13.6% ABV)
  6. DanielRogov wrote:Medium-dark garnet, medium-bodied and with silky tannins allowing raspberry, blackberry, and cassis fruits to show through nicely, those complemented by generous hints of cocoa and a light earthy-graphite sensation that lingers nicely.

7. 2006 Cab blend ($29, 14.5% ABV)
  8. DanielRogov wrote:My earlier tasting note holds firmly: A blend of 70% Cabernet Sauvignon and 15% each of Merlot and Cabernet Franc. Dark ruby towards garnet, medium- to full-bodied, showing gentle spicy oak and soft tannins that yield to show currant, red and black berries and cherries on a lightly earthy-mineral background. Long and mouth-filling. Drink now-2010. Score 91

9. 2005 Cabernet ($27, Samson/Shimson, 13.9% ABV)
  10. DanielRogov wrote:(Advance Tasting): As during barrel tastings, dark garnet towards royal purple, medium- to full-bodied, with generous soft tannins integrating nicely and showing generous but well-proportioned blackberries, currants, lead pencil and sweet herbal aromas and flavors. Intense with the tannins and fruit rising on a long finish. Best 2008-2012. Score 91.

11. 2005 Syrah from a single, legendary, vineyard -- one of the 3 best in Israel along with Ortal and Katzrin ($30, Single Vineyard in the Jerusalem Mountains, 15.0% ABV) -- and from one of Israel's best producers, to boot!
  12. DanielRogov wrote:Blended with 7% of Cabernet Sauvignon, this dark-royal purple, deeply aromatic mouth-filling and lush red shows medium- to full-bodied, boasts tannins that are soft but comfortably gripping. A generous array of plum, cherry and berry fruits, those backed up very nicely indeed by spices (look especially for juniper and white pepper). On the long fiish hints of leather and citrus peel. "Lush" is a good word to describe this wine. Best through 2012. Score 93

13. 2006 Syrah ($40, 13.9% ABV, Judean Hills)
  14. DanielRogov wrote:A blend of Syrah and Cabernet Sauvignon (86% and 14% respectively),oak-aged for 12 months in French and American oak. Medium- to full-bodied, with soft tannins integrating nicely and with a nice "bite" of spicy wood. Concentrated on the palate, showing purple plum, blackberry and raspberry fruits, those supported by tantalizing hints of leather and smoked meat Drink from release-2011, perhaps longer. Score 91.

15. 2006 Special Reserve Cabernet ($90 and worth every penny, Single Vineyard, 14.0% ABV) -- from the UC Davis-trained winemaker and former UC-D professor who literally wrote the book on wine chemistry (and another on wine technology), the visionary genius who convinced Israelis that the Holy Land's PS can indeed be heavenly *rimshot*
  16. DanielRogov wrote:Cabernet Sauvignon blended with about 13% of [Visionary Genius]'s very special Petite Sirah. Full-bodied, dense and intense, but at the same time round and yielding, offering up chocolate-covered cherries, cassis, wild berry and kirsch, those balanced nicely by spicy-cedary oak. Long, complex and destined for elegance. Best 2009–2017. Score 93.

According to Rogov, they add that much cabernet to tame the PS; they *do not* add PS to the cab to give it structure.

None of these wines are Kosher.
I may break out a 2005 Kosher Israeli Single Vineyard Cab, a 2005 "bordeaux-plus" (4% Syrah) blend (under $20)

DanielRogov wrote:A Bordeaux-plus wine—that is to say, 50% Cabernet Sauvignon, 44% Merlot and 2% Petit Verdot, plus 4% Syrah. Full-bodied and concentrated but simultaneously soft and elegant, with generous cassis and black fruits, with velvety tannins and reflecting its 16 months in French oak with gently spicy and dusty wood, all of which lead to a super-long finish. Perhaps the best to date from the winery. Approachable and thoroughly enjoyable now but best 2010–2015. Score 93. K[osher]

, and if we get 20 confirmed (not maybe) attendees (inc. Richard) I will bust out one of my coveted Sea Horse Munch Petite Sirahs. Yes, this is a bribe, but it's your call if you want it.

Hail the victor, the king without flaw
Salute your new master ... Petite Sirah!

"Who has two thumbs and loves Petite Sirah?" ThisGuy!

cjsiege

quality posts: 13 Private Messages cjsiege

Me! 7pm or later please - I have to work a full day and it will take me at least an hour to drive up.

joelsisk

quality posts: 9 Private Messages joelsisk

If it was under $200 I might be there, but unfortunately not for $400++ flight.

themostrighteous

quality posts: 12 Private Messages themostrighteous

y'all: richard is the man - SO GO MEET & SHARE SOME OF ISRAEL'S FINEST WITH HIM!

do you know... what biodynamics is?

InShadows

quality posts: 1 Private Messages InShadows

count me in. I'll try and make it on time but I may be late.

CT
“Every time you think something or someone is stupid, it just means there is another thing in this world you don’t understand.” - In memory of Robert, 1975-2009
If you make a man a fire, he'll be warm for a night. If you set him on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Past NoVA Gatherings

hershelk

quality posts: 6 Private Messages hershelk

I'd love to, but I'll be out of the country. Darn.

CT

PetiteSirah

*bump*

Lasgar

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Lasgar

I would love to come but unfortunately I have to work.

kkv123

quality posts: 10 Private Messages kkv123

My experience with Israeli wines is extremely limited. Of those I've tried, not one has made me want to swallow, much less take a second sip.

Which is why I consider this to be such an exciting opportunity.

After all, how often does life present the chance to totally change your perception about something in one evening? To me, that makes an otherwise intriguing event positively IRRESISTIBLE.

I'll have to be tasting with a thimble. And forgo any sizable purchase whatsoever.

But if you'll have me under such conditions, I'm in.

God only knows how I'll square this with my trainer. I strongly suspect that attendance at this event will make me a no-show for the 5/30 tasting. Which is such a pity - I do so love rose. Sparkling ones especially.

PetiteSirah

kkv123 wrote:My experience with Israeli wines is extremely limited. Of those I've tried, not one has made me want to swallow, much less take a second sip.

After all, how often does life present the chance to totally change your perception about something in one evening? To me, that makes an otherwise intriguing event positively IRRESISTIBLE.

I'll have to be tasting with a thimble. And forgo any sizable purchase whatsoever.

God only knows how I'll square this with my trainer. I strongly suspect that attendance at this event will make me a no-show for the 5/30 tasting. Which is such a pity - I do so love rose. Sparkling ones especially.

That works for me :-). Feel free to bring a +1 if you'd like.

tripgrad

quality posts: 3 Private Messages tripgrad

I'm interested, plus 1.

R.I.P.
WINE.W00T NOV 4, 2012

spdrcr05

quality posts: 30 Private Messages spdrcr05

I'm in... +1 is a maybe

In periods of profound change, the most dangerous thing is to incrementalize yourself into the future -- Thomas Edision

PetiteSirah

LOCATION: We are confirmed for kkv's party room. I would appreciate a few bucks to help offset the cost of the room, but that's not required.

Please bring stemware -- I'll handle decanters, funnels, stemware for those who don't have it, and vinturi.

Let's try to be there at 7:30.

RJShaffer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages RJShaffer

Can't wait to see all of you in Washington, DC, and taste some wine from the Original Wine World. Thanks to Lowell for the event mgt.!

Richard

PetiteSirah

Guys, Richard and I put together a lineup and it is AWESOME. It will represent a nice range of Israel.

Richard is contributing 8 (count'em, 8!) bottles of wine.

I won't give out the specifics (i.e., names) because I don't want to spoil things, but I've updated the main post with what he's bringing and my possible contributions.

PetiteSirah

Finished the update and added tasting notes for Richard's contributions.

You guys are in for A TREAT!!!

ERMD

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ERMD
kkv123 wrote:My experience with Israeli wines is extremely limited. Of those I've tried, not one has made me want to swallow, much less take a second sip.

AHH come on; when I visited with you guys we had Munch PS and I thought that was fantastic.
Ok maybe not to your Bubbly taste but still great. Wish I could be there, bon vin

PetiteSirah

ERMD wrote:AHH come on; when I visited with you guys we had Munch PS and I thought that was fantastic.
Ok maybe not to your Bubbly taste but still great. Wish I could be there, bon vin

Bump!

kkv123

quality posts: 10 Private Messages kkv123
ERMD wrote:AHH come on; when I visited with you guys we had Munch PS and I thought that was fantastic.

What an evening that was! The thing I liked best was your captivating conversation. :-) But yes, the Munch was a quality product, although not optimally designed for my particular preferences.

So when are you and Mrs. ERMD coming to visit? We'd love to have you!

iByron

quality posts: 40 Private Messages iByron

Darn. That's the same weekend as Vinolovers' Wine Wisdom Weekend.

I'll be in the region, but taken.

iByron

iByron's iCellar (I'm a reciprocal CT Cellar Buddy)

Your Private WIneaux

PetiteSirah

and the wine is on its way to my office!

Must not drink that Cab-PS on my own...

cjsiege

What are we doing for food? Cuz I'm not going to get a chance to get dinner. Can we get Hell-burger takeout?

cjsiege

And would it be tacky to eat a bacon-cheeseburger while sipping Israeli wines?

PetiteSirah

cjsiege wrote:And would it be tacky to eat a bacon-cheeseburger while sipping Israeli wines?

Nope! Most of these are non-kosher. Knock yourself out!

PetiteSirah

cjsiege wrote:What are we doing for food? Cuz I'm not going to get a chance to get dinner. Can we get Hell-burger takeout?

It's pretty close. The problem, though is doing a large order, paying for it in cash, making sure everything's up to spec, and transporting it. I could probably pick up an extra burger or two but that's about my limit.

And nobody is to order a hell-burger more than medium on penalty of Dunce Cappage.

synchrodan

quality posts: 7 Private Messages synchrodan
PetiteSirah wrote:It's pretty close. The problem, though is doing a large order, paying for it in cash, making sure everything's up to spec, and transporting it. I could probably pick up an extra burger or two but that's about my limit.

And nobody is to order a hell-burger more than medium on penalty of Dunce Cappage.

Maybe everyone should just bring their own food of choice, and if that happens to be Hell Burger, then so be it. (which sounds like a terrific idea to me)

PetiteSirah

Wine should arrive shortly!

PetiteSirah

BUMPED. Looks like we won't have enough people for me to open a Sea Horse Munch. Your loss :-D!

synchrodan

quality posts: 7 Private Messages synchrodan
PetiteSirah wrote:BUMPED. Looks like we won't have enough people for me to open a Sea Horse Munch. Your loss :-D!

Will it help if I drink enough wine for 2 or 3 people :-) What time's this party getting started on Friday?

PetiteSirah

synchrodan wrote:Will it help if I drink enough wine for 2 or 3 people :-) What time's this party getting started on Friday?

We'd like everybody to be there at 7:30!

And not for qualifying for the Munch, no. But I promise, some of these wines will BLOW YOU AWAY.

PetiteSirah

Please bring your own stemware if you have it, I'll cover those who don't.

You're on your own for dinner -- I'll try to bring nametags/notepads/pens, and I might be able to bring some cheese and crackers, but work is insane this week.

Looking forward to seeing all of you guys tomorrow!!!

BlackCauldron

quality posts: 0 Private Messages BlackCauldron

I'm guessing it's at the clubhouse of KKV but can you please update the first post with the location instead of it being pending. thanks.

Edit: Thank you, kind sir!

"We are all mortal until the first kiss and the second glass of wine" Eduardo Galeano
Oh, poor miserable Gurgi deserves fierce smackings and whackings on his poor, tender head. Always left with no munchings and crunchings.

kesbeck

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kesbeck

All,

I'm very sorry but I'm not going to be able to attend tonight. I was hoping the cold I caught earlier in the week would be gone but it definitely isn't and I'd hate to get anyone sick. Enjoy the festivities - I'm sorry to miss it!

Kesbeck

CpprCr8

quality posts: 5 Private Messages CpprCr8

I'll be hurtling up 95/395 this evening. If the traffic is bad, I will be running late. Fingers crossed. I'll send a txt if I'm too far behind sked.

cjsiege & CpprCr8: A girl & a car, living the w.w dream!

PetiteSirah

CpprCr8 wrote:I'll be hurtling up 95/395 this evening. If the traffic is bad, I will be running late. Fingers crossed. I'll send a txt if I'm too far behind sked.

Please let me know what you want on your burger -- txt me. I'll have it there and waiting for you.