MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 181 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

Okay, time to start planning for a June/July SoCal Gathering. Date, Place, & Time TBD. Casa MadWine in Carlsbad? AnnSalisbury's in OC? Discuss!

Edit: Updating here from now on. (6/21/09, 10:45 PM)

Okay, here is the updated "Living, Breathing Document". Remember it can change, it is not set in stone. Just post your correction, and it will be updated.

THEME: They make Wine Where? (aka Not normal winemaking regions)
DATE: June 19th
START TIME: 7:15 PM
HOST: MadWine/MadWino's

ATTENDEES LIST:

MAYBES:

1. Annsalisbury +1 - White from Superspryteachu! I choose you! ( = Japan)
    2. AndyDuncan -
      2005 Bura Dingac, Peljesac Peninsula, Dalmation Coast, Croatia
    3. PencilThieves
      2006 Thimiopoulos Uranos Xinomavro, Greece
      1998 Château Musar, Lebanon

REGRETS:

If your wine needs decanting, please bring a decanter.

Glasses will be available, but bring your own nice Acrylic glass(es) (Non-breakable for Patio usage preferred) if you have them.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

clayfu

quality posts: 10 Private Messages clayfu

annsalisbury

quality posts: 4 Private Messages annsalisbury
They make Wine Where? (aka Not normal winemaking regions)

Color me over-technical today ("What do you mean just 'today?'"), but maybe this should be "winemaking regions new to us," as I have been informed that Romania has been making wines since the Romans invaded and started planting vines.

Nostrom0

quality posts: 13 Private Messages Nostrom0

I'm so there. I have a date with a lint roller...

Stash at CT

annsalisbury

And for grins, I just ordered a white from Japan made with a native varietal.

MarkDaSpark

annsalisbury wrote:Color me over-technical today ("What do you mean just 'today?'"), but maybe this should be "winemaking regions new to us," as I have been informed that Romania has been making wines since the Romans invaded and started planting vines.

Normal as in regions we expect wine (California, New York, Aus, NZ, France, Italy, Germany, etc.) to come from.

So Romania, while "old" would be considered "new".

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

madwine

quality posts: 3 Private Messages madwine
Nostrom0 wrote:I'm so there. I have a date with a lint roller...

Oh guppy!

tommythecat78

quality posts: 18 Private Messages tommythecat78

Throw me on the maybe list.

___________________________________________________________________________________________
My Cellar (has not been updated in forever)
Do the people want fire that can be applied nasally? -Golgafrinchan Marketing Consultant

MarkDaSpark

tommythecat78 wrote:Throw me on the maybe list.

Oh Yea!

When you going to be out this way? We can try to plan for it to be then ....

madwine

MarkDaSpark wrote:Oh Yea!

June 21 to 28 we'll be gone. And July 26 to 31 we'll be gone. Most weekends look good. Tommy is coming to town? How fun!!!

javadrinker

quality posts: 4 Private Messages javadrinker

Sorry, I won't be able to make any date in June or July...

...yeah, I just wanted to see what that felt like. Of course I'll be there, wherever and whenever.

And the path to drunken poverty continues... Java's Stash at CT

• Wine.woots: um, lost count.
  • Other woots: um, lost count too. I might have a problem.

zTimothyBz

quality posts: 2 Private Messages zTimothyBz

I, of course, bought wine while I was in England, so I claim that nation.

-- T

Official holder of unofficial, unauthorized, non-woot gatherings.
My cellar

madwine

javadrinker wrote:Sorry, I won't be able to make any date in June or July...

...yeah, I just wanted to see what that felt like. Of course I'll be there, wherever and whenever.

You crack me up! So, how did it feel?

MarkDaSpark

Cross-posting from NorCal thread, BECAUSE it is so spot on!

tenuki wrote:Denial - meeting strangers off the internet is a great idea!
Anger - omg, what was I thinking?! Who are these weirdos? argh!
Bargaining - okay, I can put up for an hour more, or at least until they open up that bottle I really wanted to try.
Depression - why am I still here? I can't even taste the wine anymore, my palate's shot, it's all just ... red.
Acceptance - oh dear lord, I'm one of them ...

Oi! Mosh good!!

This is so great and spot on! Have to copy it to SoCal woot gatherings (and to the Buffalo and Denver gatherings)!

annsalisbury

If you want a site "in the middle," we are happy to host.

tommythecat78

MarkDaSpark wrote:Oh Yea!

I don't currently have plans to be out that way. I just haven't been out to L.A. to visit friends in a long time and I missed my usual Thanksgiving trip last year. Once you guys narrow down the date I will try and make some tentative plans to be out there depending on how much travel will be and what is going on for work. July is rough as it is the busiest time of the year for my dept. But don't let that be a factor in the date choosing, as I am still a very firm maybe.

___________________________________________________________________________________________
Do the people want fire that can be applied nasally? -Golgafrinchan Marketing Consultant

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
tommythecat78 wrote:I don't currently have plans to be out that way. I just haven't been out to L.A. to visit friends in a long time and I missed my usual Thanksgiving trip last year. Once you guys narrow down the date I will try and make some tentative plans to be out there depending on how much travel will be and what is going on for work. July is rough as it is the busiest time of the year for my dept. But don't let that be a factor in the date choosing, as I am still a very firm maybe.

Tommy, when you come out here I've got somewhere you can get a wine for this. I'd get it myself but I don't feel like trying to ship it out there

Or maybe you can find your own wine and I'll just send a bottle of this stuff along with you

Or maybe I'll buy a bottle and bring it to Buffalo and give it to Sparky to bring back with him, in the event you end up not going to this one.

Sparky, were you planning on checking bags for your return flight from Buffalo? I'd hate to be the ca... oh wait you're going to some wineries. Nevermind, you'll be checking stuff

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

MarkDaSpark

cheron98 wrote:Tommy, when you come out here I've got somewhere you can get a wine for this. I'd get it myself but I don't feel like trying to ship it out there

Or maybe you can find your own wine and I'll just send a bottle of this stuff along with you

Or maybe I'll buy a bottle and bring it to Buffalo and give it to Sparky to bring back with him, in the event you end up not going to this one.

Sparky, were you planning on checking bags for your return flight from Buffalo? I'd hate to be the ca... oh wait you're going to some wineries. Nevermind, you'll be checking stuff

Not much. Will have a bag to check, and the two bottles of Cold River Vodka from PB. Not planning on buying any wine during the trip.

MarkDaSpark

tommythecat78 wrote:I don't currently have plans to be out that way. I just haven't been out to L.A. to visit friends in a long time and I missed my usual Thanksgiving trip last year. Once you guys narrow down the date I will try and make some tentative plans to be out there depending on how much travel will be and what is going on for work. July is rough as it is the busiest time of the year for my dept. But don't let that be a factor in the date choosing, as I am still a very firm maybe.

It will probably be June, but we could have another in July as well.

cheron98

MarkDaSpark wrote:Not much. Will have a bag to check, and the two bottles of Cold River Vodka from PB. Not planning on buying any wine during the trip.

Uh huh.

cheron98

MarkDaSpark wrote:Not much. Will have a bag to check, and the two bottles of Cold River Vodka from PB. Not planning on buying any wine during the trip.

Gift wine acquired Will be bringing to Buffalo this weekend.

MarkDaSpark

cheron98 wrote:Uh huh.

Told you I wasn't buying any wine .....

tommythecat78

MarkDaSpark wrote:Told you I wasn't buying any wine .....

You were pretty damn close to getting some of that chambourcin(?) at Pilliterri.

MarkDaSpark

tommythecat78 wrote:You were pretty damn close to getting some of that chambourcin(?) at Pilliterri.

Close, but no cigar ...... How was the cigar btw?

MarkDaSpark

Okay, SoCal #9 is out of the way, and a HUGE Success!

So on to new business.

When? TommytheCat might be out in June, but not July (busy time of the year for him).

1st weekend (6/7) in June is too close, 2nd Weekend (13/14) is the NoCal#1 gathering. 3rd weekend (20/21) is Father's Day weekend. 4th Weekend (27/28) is questionable for me (may be a travel day back from Phoenix on the 27th), but might be okay.

1st weekend in July (4/5) is Independence Day,

nallie

quality posts: 8 Private Messages nallie
MarkDaSpark wrote:Okay, SoCal #9 is out of the way, and a HUGE Success!

So on to new business.

When? TommytheCat might be out in June, but not July (busy time of the year for him).

1st weekend (6/7) in June is too close, 2nd Weekend (13/14) is the NoCal#1 gathering. 3rd weekend (20/21) is Father's Day weekend. 4th Weekend (27/28) is questionable for me (may be a travel day back from Phoenix on the 27th), but might be okay.

1st weekend in July (4/5) is Independence Day,

I am most likely to attend if it's Father's Day weekend (either Friday or Saturday) and nearer my neck of the woods. Two really big howevers, however. I believe the MadWines have a previous engagement with a hopefully swine-flu-free resort that weekend AND I can't yet promise I'll attend even if all my conditions are met. So, I don't expect to be accommodated. Just putting it out there.

"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all." - h.keller
"If you can do something about it, there is no need to worry. If you cannot do anything about it, there is no use in worrying." - j.white (and also Shantideva)

Nostrom0

6/27 is pretty much the only date I can't make. Having Max's birthday party that day at Travel Town.

Stash at CT

MarkDaSpark

Nostrom0 wrote:6/27 is pretty much the only date I can't make. Having Max's birthday party that day at Travel Town.

So the 27th it is then? .....

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
MarkDaSpark wrote:So the 27th it is then? .....

Donde?

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

MarkDaSpark

kylemittskus wrote:Donde?

Cuándo first.

cjsiege

quality posts: 13 Private Messages cjsiege
MarkDaSpark wrote:Cuándo first.

Cuando y donde son correlacionado - eh?

Nostrom0

Might as well make me +1. Soochee will be there as well.

Stash at CT

kylemittskus

Nostrom0 wrote:Might as well make me +1. Soochee will be there as well.

When and where I ask! When and where?! It is already June 1.

cjsiege

kylemittskus wrote:When and where I ask! When and where?! It is already June 1.

"Ask not for whom the bell tolls. It tolls for thee."

So, when can everyone come over to your place?

kylemittskus

cjsiege wrote:"Ask not for whom the bell tolls. It tolls for thee."

So, when can everyone come over to your place?

A-mazing!!!! Donne for the win!

cjsiege

kylemittskus wrote:A-mazing!!!! Donne for the win!

Only the best common bastardization of Donne for our dearest English-Lit Grad Student!

MarkDaSpark

cjsiege wrote:Cuando y donde son correlacionado - eh?

Mais Non, ma petite chou-chou.

First we must figure when. Then we can figure where. For it is written - "I swear to drunk I'm not God"

Anywho, next two weekends are too close (and too many good things happening perhaps).

The 20th (Sat.) is right before Father's Day. Thoughts? May be bad for the MadWine clan, as they are leaving the 21st. But Nallie might be able to attend then.

The 27th is bad for Nostrom0 (which is not a bad thing if we want no pictures of lint rolling mania).

How about a Friday night? Start at 7:30 or 8 pm? Then we could do the 19th.

Otherwise we are into July, which is a busy month for Tommy to try to come out here.

How is July 11th for everyone? Although it is one week before Sip & Sail.

And much later is getting close to when our out of town visitors are coming in August.

To make a long story short (too late!), I'd like to see if we could do June 19th. Thoughts?

LoonBoarder

quality posts: 7 Private Messages LoonBoarder
MarkDaSpark wrote:Mais Non, ma petite chou-chou.

First we must figure when. Then we can figure where. For it is written - "I swear to drunk I'm not God"

Anywho, next two weekends are too close (and too many good things happening perhaps).

The 20th (Sat.) is right before Father's Day. Thoughts? May be bad for the MadWine clan, as they are leaving the 21st. But Nallie might be able to attend then.

The 27th is bad for Nostrom0 (which is not a bad thing if we want no pictures of lint rolling mania).

How about a Friday night? Start at 7:30 or 8 pm? Then we could do the 19th.

Otherwise we are into July, which is a busy month for Tommy to try to come out here.

How is July 11th for everyone? Although it is one week before Sip & Sail.

And much later is getting close to when our out of town visitors are coming in August.

To make a long story short (too late!), I'd like to see if we could do June 19th. Thoughts?

Mrs. LoonBoarder and I are headed out to visit DD (a smidgeon north of LA) from 6/24 - 7/4. Apparently there are a few wineries in NH, so I guess they would qualify as 'not on the list of places you think of when you think of wine'. If the 26th or 27th work we could look into being on the 'maybe' list.

Dude... wait, what?

MarkDaSpark

LoonBoarder wrote:Mrs. LoonBoarder and I are headed out to visit DD (a smidgeon north of LA) from 6/24 - 7/4. Apparently there are a few wineries in NH, so I guess they would qualify as 'not on the list of places you think of when you think of wine'. If the 26th or 27th work we could look into being on the 'maybe' list.

We may have to split it, since MadWine/MadWino will be out of town, Nostrom0/Soochee have a bday celebration for their son that day, and I will be out the 26th and may get back late afternoon on the 27th.

So maybe one on the 19/20, and something at San Antonio Winery (in LA) on the 27th?

Thoughts from the usual suspects???

nallie

quality posts: 8 Private Messages nallie
MarkDaSpark wrote:We may have to split it, since MadWine/MadWino will be out of town, Nostrom0/Soochee have a bday celebration for their son that day, and I will be out the 26th and may get back late afternoon on the 27th.

So maybe one on the 19/20, and something at San Antonio Winery (in LA) on the 27th?

Thoughts from the usual suspects???

If it is at MadWine's on the 19th I can almost guarantee my attendance.

No pressure, MadWine.

"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all." - h.keller
"If you can do something about it, there is no need to worry. If you cannot do anything about it, there is no use in worrying." - j.white (and also Shantideva)