Nostrom0

quality posts: 13 Private Messages Nostrom0

Hey Guys!

Well, since I missed SoCal #8 I feel obligated to keep the momentum going and setup the next w.w. gathering.
Seems like May 23rd works for everyone so I'm going to run with it.
Spoke with John today and he said May 23rd would be great. No fee for tasting, but I told him to bring extra so we can take anything home we like.

Bring something to gnosh on or a wine from Paso Robles to compare.

SoCal #9. Last Update: 05/23/09

THE Date: May 23.

OK, here is the updated "Living, Breathing Document". Remember it can change; it is not set in stone. Just post your correction and it will be updated.

THEME: John Alan Winery
DATE: 5/23/2009
TIME: 5pm
Upland, CA 91784

Attendees: (so far)

1. Nostrom0 +1
2. MarkDaSpark
3. JavaDrinker (05 Witch Creek PV Reserve)
4. annsalisbury +1
5. kylemittskus +1 (Tobin James Reserve Zin)
6. madwine/madwineaux +2

MAYBES:

1. zTimothyBz
2. kool
3. damightyanteater
4. merbill
5. Imagine4vr

REGRETS:

1. clayfu
2. lucidgrrl +1

*everyone who misses this one.

Oh yeah, and Java already called the bottom bunk!

Stash at CT

annsalisbury

quality posts: 4 Private Messages annsalisbury
Nostrom0 wrote:Hey Guys!

Well, since I missed SoCal #8 I feel obligated to keep the momentum going and setup the next w.w. gathering.
John Alan lives a few miles from me and offered to do a private pouring at my house. His winery is up in Paso Robles, but they don't have a tasting room. Is anyone interested?

Still need to hash out the details of whether he's going to charge us (don't think so) or whether we should just bring appropriate food (more likely).

Date: I'll be out of the country 4/19 to 4/27. Weekend of May 2nd as a starting point?

Oh sure. Is there a chance we could start in the afternoon (2 - 3 pm -ish)?

zTimothyBz

quality posts: 2 Private Messages zTimothyBz

Because it was tragic that pumpkin time came just as the gourmet pizzas were coming online!

Mid-afternoon sound good to me. But I'm already over-scheduled for the weekend of May 2nd. (Supposed to go to Escondido Ren Faire, but will have to skip that in favour of the San Diego round-ish thing, um, ah...).

How about the 9th - the day before Mother's Day?

(edit add: Though Sunday May 3rd might work)

-- T

Official holder of unofficial, unauthorized, non-woot gatherings.
My cellar

annsalisbury

zTimothyBz wrote:Because it was tragic that pumpkin time came just as the gourmet pizzas were coming online!

Indeed, but that's what happens when you've got a lot on your plate. Plus, the following day was brunch with my family for my Dad's b-day. Didn't want to be too pooped to party.

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 187 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

The 9th sounds good.

And we need a theme. TimB suggested "They make wine where?", as in bringing wines from unique terroirs. Like New York I keed, I keed!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

annsalisbury

MarkDaSpark wrote:The 9th sounds good.

And we need a theme. TimB suggested "They make wine where?", as in bringing wines from unique terroirs. Like New York I keed, I keed!

If he gets lined up, I thought it was John Alan wines, or did I misread that?

clayfu

quality posts: 10 Private Messages clayfu

@ offlines that I've been to where winemakers have come with their wines, we usually bring a similar wine to theirs and see how it matches up =)

Nostrom0

Hmmm. May 9th is out for SWMBO, May 16th is the Paso Wine Fest.
May 23rd?

Stash at CT

MarkDaSpark

annsalisbury wrote:If he gets lined up, I thought it was John Alan wines, or did I misread that?

Oops. True. Maybe the theme for the one following ....

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

Nostrom0 wrote:Hmmm. May 9th is out for SWMBO, May 16th is the Paso Wine Fest.
May 23rd?

That's Memorial Day weekend. Fine by me, but don't know others' schedules.

annsalisbury

MarkDaSpark wrote:That's Memorial Day weekend. Fine by me, but don't know others' schedules.

We're home that weekend as well.

Nostrom0

annsalisbury wrote:We're home that weekend as well.

Cool! Hopefully more people will chime in. Sparky, is one week before Colorado good for you?

Also, I don't think anybody needs to bring wine. I'd rather people took a bottle home if they taste anything they like. I'll check w/ John and make sure he's available that weekend.

Stash at CT

javadrinker

quality posts: 5 Private Messages javadrinker
MarkDaSpark wrote:That's Memorial Day weekend. Fine by me, but don't know others' schedules.

Hmmmm...the major downside to doing it that weekend is that CHP will likely be in special holiday enforcement mode. I'm obviously not condoning drunk driving under any circumstances but even the swish and spitters are likely to get extra scrutiny should they have to go through a check point.

And the path to drunken poverty continues... Java's Stash at CT

• Wine.woots: um, lost count.
  • Other woots: um, lost count too. I might have a problem.

zTimothyBz

MarkDaSpark wrote:Oops. True. Maybe the theme for the one following ....

So Sparky, why not post it as SoCal #10 (just for the social benefit of certain people in other parts of the country).

Meanwhile, for #9, the days that are currently possibilities for me in May are: 3, 9, 23, 24, 30, 31.

Ann: Still need to arrange to get your pizza stone back to you. Am planning on seeing Sparky on Saturday at Wine Cellar Club in Irvine. Should I give it to him?

Also, someone left a bag of lacy, black underwear at my party. Does it belong to any of the wineaux? (Ann? Sparky? Java?)

-- T

My cellar

MarkDaSpark

zTimothyBz wrote:So Sparky, why not post it as SoCal #10 (just for the social benefit of certain people in other parts of the country).

Meanwhile, for #9, the days that are currently possibilities for me in May are: 3, 9, 23, 24, 30, 31.

Ann: Still need to arrange to get your pizza stone back to you. Am planning on seeing Sparky on Saturday at Wine Cellar Club in Irvine. Should I give it to him?

Also, someone left a bag of lacy, black underwear at my party. Does it belong to any of the wineaux? (Ann? Sparky? Java?)

-- T

Must be Ann's, since Java and I had ours during our Paso Getaway last week.

annsalisbury

zTimothyBz wrote:Also, someone left a bag of lacy, black underwear at my party. Does it belong to any of the wineaux? (Ann? Sparky? Java?)

-- T

Tim, don't get me wrong, I had a good time at your party, but not that good of a time. ;)

Actually, if you're going to be in Irvine, you will be close enough to swing by or I can get the stone from you (I won't crash the party), but it will depend on time of day. We have something at the fairgrounds that starts at 11 a.m., and I'm not sure how long it will go.

No rush on the stone, though. I figured out a way to use my 12" cast iron skillet and get good results.

javadrinker

MarkDaSpark wrote:Must be Ann's, since Java and I had ours during our Paso Getaway last week.

Definitely weren't mine...I went comman...er, no, I can't do it...this thread has taken a turn for the worst.

Let's just go back to planning the drinking.

zTimothyBz

Heads up for people in the OC: Today's (Thu Apr 9) Orange County Register has a coupon for Total Wine that's take $15 off for every $100 you spend for 750 and 1.5l wine, good through the 19th.

(Will also post this in the deals thread.)

-- T

My cellar

BuckshotEsq

quality posts: 0 Private Messages BuckshotEsq

Hey all,

I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the correct place, but I'm looking for some winery recommendations. I don't live in SoCal (yet) but my brother is in San Diego and my folks are going to be out there next week visiting and condo shopping. My brother was looking for something to do to entertain them and he was thinking of taking them to a winery. My question is: are the wineries in SD County worth checking out for tastings, or should I recommend that they head up to Santa Barbara County for a day or two? Is it worth the drive? I have tried a few of the Santa Barbara area wineries and I enjoyed them, but I've never tried anything from SD. They don't have time for a trip up north. Any specific winery tours/tastings would be particularly appreciated. Thanks all.

annsalisbury

BuckshotEsq wrote:Hey all,

I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the correct place, but I'm looking for some winery recommendations. I don't live in SoCal (yet) but my brother is in San Diego and my folks are going to be out there next week visiting and condo shopping. My brother was looking for something to do to entertain them and he was thinking of taking them to a winery. My question is: are the wineries in SD County worth checking out for tastings, or should I recommend that they head up to Santa Barbara County for a day or two? Is it worth the drive? I have tried a few of the Santa Barbara area wineries and I enjoyed them, but I've never tried anything from SD. They don't have time for a trip up north. Any specific winery tours/tastings would be particularly appreciated. Thanks all.

Well... the wineries vary widely in terms of quality and none of them are exceptional. I would suggest a trip to Julian and a stop at the Orfila tasting room, located right next to the King Leo confectionary - or they could go to the Orfila winery ... I forgot where in SD County, but you can Google it. A fun trip into the hills will take you to Shadow Mountain and Hawk Watch.

Not all that far away is Temecula, but those can be hit and miss too. I like the Leonesse port and Alex's Red Barn, but it's been awhile since we've been there. If Doffo is still open, he had some good stuff too.

If one wanted, one could start on State Hwy 79(?) and go Shadow Mountain and Hawk Watch and continue up the road to Temecula and hit both areas easily in the same day.

zTimothyBz

This thread talks about a previous temecula trip. Was it only a year ago?

-- T

My cellar

MarkDaSpark

Nostrom0 wrote:Cool! Hopefully more people will chime in. Sparky, is one week before Colorado good for you?

Also, I don't think anybody needs to bring wine. I'd rather people took a bottle home if they taste anything they like. I'll check w/ John and make sure he's available that weekend.

Yes, it's fine.

clayfu

BuckshotEsq wrote:Hey all,

go up to St SYnez/Lompoc/Santa Maria. It's where all the hip wineries are making their wine (40-50 miles north of Santa Barbara downtown)

madwine

quality posts: 3 Private Messages madwine
Nostrom0 wrote:Hey Guys!

Seems like May 23rd works for everyone so I'm going to run with it.
Spoke with John today and he said May 23rd would be great. No fee for tasting, but I told him to bring extra so we can take anything home we like.

Everyone down to bring something to gnosh on?

SoCal #9. Last Update: 04/10/09

THE Date: May 23.

OK, here is the updated "Living, Breathing Document". Remember it can change; it is not set in stone. Just post your correction and it will be updated.

THEME: John Alan Winery
DATE: 5/23/2009
TIME: 5pm

Attendees: (so far)

1. Nostrom0 +1
2. MarkDaSpark
3. JavaDrinker

MAYBES:

1. zTimothyBz
2. annsalisbury

REGRETS:

*everyone who misses this one.

Soooo, May 23, is the final date? K, let me think about this and the boys situation. Again, how far are you from me? You gonna fly down & pick us up and then fly us back home

Edit: This struck me as funny: Look at No.'s 1, 2, and 3. Hee hee. They never miss an event. I'm jealous!!!

javadrinker

madwine wrote:Soooo, May 23, is the final date? K, let me think about this and the boys situation. Again, how far are you from me? You gonna fly down & pick us up and then fly us back home

Edit: This struck me as funny: Look at No.'s 1, 2, and 3. Hee hee. They never miss an event. I'm jealous!!!

Whoa whoa whoa...it's only 2 & 3 that never miss an event...or any opportunity to drink. We'd show up for the opening of a paper bag if there was wine involved. #1 is still a rookie...he's only not missed an event since he started hanging out with us. And his +1 ditches us left and right.

annsalisbury

Count me (+1) in, please. We can make 5 pm. What can we bring?

madwine

javadrinker wrote:Whoa whoa whoa...it's only 2 & 3 that never miss an event...or any opportunity to drink. We'd show up for the opening of a paper bag if there was wine involved. #1 is still a rookie...he's only not missed an event since he started hanging out with us. And his +1 ditches us left and right.

This is true! But # 1 is quickly making it into the circle of no.'s 2 & 3. You'

Oops. I was trying to edit an edit, yap at the kids and look at the calendar. Anyway this is Memorial Day weekend, right?

MarkDaSpark

madwine wrote:This is true! But # 1 is quickly making it into the circle of no.'s 2 & 3. You'

Oops. I was trying to edit an edit, yap at the kids and look at the calendar. Anyway this is Memorial Day weekend, right?

Yes. And we also need to find out sometime in June for another gathering at Casa MadWine (Southern).

Nostrom0

javadrinker wrote:We'd show up for the opening of a paper bag if there was wine involved.

ROFL Oh dude I haven't laughed that hard all day. Thanks, I needed that.

I'm moderately certain +1 will be in attendance.

Stash at CT

Nostrom0

annsalisbury wrote:What can we bring?

Something foodish.

Stash at CT

madwine

Nostrom0 wrote:Something foodish.

I'm bringing a lint roller. Hey, no one likes lint on their clothes.

Nostrom0

Leaving the country. Back April 29th. Bump!

Stash at CT

clayfu

annsalisbury wrote:Count me (+1) in, please. We can make 5 pm. What can we bring?

seriously, bring comparable wines. Otherwise it looks like you're free-loading. Especially if you don't end up buying the guys wines. We do this very often in Orange county where winemakers send us wine to drink (a case at a time) and we'll always bring our own wines as well to show we aren't just getting together to free load off them.

MarkDaSpark

Cross-posting from NorCal thread, BECAUSE it is so spot on!

tenuki wrote:Denial - meeting strangers off the internet is a great idea!
Anger - omg, what was I thinking?! Who are these weirdos? argh!
Bargaining - okay, I can put up for an hour more, or at least until they open up that bottle I really wanted to try.
Depression - why am I still here? I can't even taste the wine anymore, my palate's shot, it's all just ... red.
Acceptance - oh dear lord, I'm one of them ...

Oi! Mosh good!!

This is so great and spot on! Have to copy it to SoCal woot gatherings (and to the Buffalo and Denver gatherings)!

You have to add it to your sig! Or get WD to add it somewhere on the main Wine.Woot page!

annsalisbury

clayfu wrote:seriously, bring comparable wines. Otherwise it looks like you're free-loading. Especially if you don't end up buying the guys wines. We do this very often in Orange county where winemakers send us wine to drink (a case at a time) and we'll always bring our own wines as well to show we aren't just getting together to free load off them.

Thanks for the info - and the assumption. Have we met?

I will defer to our host's / organizer's wishes. If he wants food, we will bring food. If he wants wine, we will bring wine. If he wants belly dancers . . . Well, he will have to talk to Tim, as we have none at our disposal.

N - What's your preference?

MarkDaSpark

annsalisbury wrote:Thanks for the info - and the assumption. Have we met?

I will defer to our host's / organizer's wishes. If he wants food, we will bring food. If he wants wine, we will bring wine. If he wants belly dancers . . . Well, he will have to talk to Tim, as we have none at our disposal.

N - What's your preference?

He's on a cruise with the family til the 29th, so we'll have to wait until then.

clayfu

annsalisbury wrote:Thanks for the info - and the assumption. Have we met?

nu-uh. At least I don't think so.

K00L

quality posts: 0 Private Messages K00L

[quote postid="3147316" user="annsalisbury"]Thanks for the info - and the assumption. Have we met?

I will defer to our host's / organizer's wishes. If he wants food, we will bring food. If he wants wine, we will bring wine. If he wants belly dancers . . . quote]

OK, I'll bring the belly dancers....

Sparky, Java, what size do you wear?

(at least I know they will be there!)

annsalisbury

K00L wrote:OK, I'll bring the belly dancers....

Sparky, Java, what size do you wear?

(at least I know they will be there!)

Now see, that right there, is a quality post.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 233 Private Messages kylemittskus

Bump.

I'm a maybe. If Mark and Java are belly dancing, I'm a strong maybe.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen