HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42

A great time was had by all at A Cafe for some Southern Rhone. Time to start setting things up for the one after next.

THEME: TBD

DATE: TBD
HOSTS: TBD
TIME: TBD

ATTENDEES LIST (so far):

This one would most likely be sometime in June with #11 being May and then hopefully the Sip/Sail in July.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

Krugsters

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Krugsters

OK...let's go...

Sunday, May 10th is out (Mother's Day).

May 9th might be OK though.
And Memorial Day is at the end of the month.

My travel might be limited though since I'll be as big as Rhode Island by then.

Krugsters

I have an idea for the May tasting (the question is when DON'T I have an idea for a tasting)...

May 16th is the one year anniversary of the passing of Robert Mondavi. How about we have a 10 year vertical of the famed Cab reserves? It would be from '77 to '99.

I've already been pecking and hunting for bottles for a while and if we have 20 people participating it would be about $32 per person.

Whadda think?

thatguy314

quality posts: 7 Private Messages thatguy314
Krugsters wrote:I have an idea for the May tasting (the question is when DON'T I have an idea for a tasting)...

May 16th is the one year anniversary of the passing of Robert Mondavi. How about we have a 10 year vertical of the famed Cab reserves? It would be from '77 to '99.

I've already been pecking and hunting for bottles for a while and if we have 20 people participating it would be about $32 per person.

Whadda think?

Who is this Robert Mondavi Character anyways? Is he like a less important Carlo Rossi?

But seriously, I think that since the week after the 16th is my birthday, we could have a big hullabaloo in the celebration of me.

Krugsters

thatguy314 wrote:Who is this Robert Mondavi Character anyways? Is he like a less important Carlo Rossi?

But seriously, I think that since the week after the 16th is my birthday, we could have a big hullabaloo in the celebration of me.

What do you think about the Mondavi idea though?
We can have birthday cake for thatguy as well!!
The twins might be here by then too...

thatguy314

Krugsters wrote:The twins might be here by then too...

Woo hoo!

Krugsters

thatguy314 wrote:Woo hoo!

I just got the '77, '79 & '81.
I have on hold the '96, '97, '98 & '99

fdiaz01

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fdiaz01
Krugsters wrote:I have an idea for the May tasting (the question is when DON'T I have an idea for a tasting)...

Whadda think?

sounds great. Im in!

gijose

quality posts: 4 Private Messages gijose

sounds like a good way to learn a lot about cabernets!

NYC!

Krugsters

OK I have two days to decide to bid on the 90's lots up for auction.

If we agree to do the Mondavi vertical I might humbly ask if people could send in checks to cover their attendance to the tasting. I'd have to wait till all the bills are in though to get a total in which to divide by.

Of course, I will try to find the best deals and to keep costs low.

threemoons

quality posts: 18 Private Messages threemoons

Yah, Mother's Day is right out but otherwise flexible; after SXSW not going anywhere anytime soon.

Krugsters

So far for attendance we have Krugsters (hopefully), Shamer, Shamer's Brit Mom, Fdiaz, threemoons, gijose, & thatguy. (Thatgirl?)
(If you're planning on bringing plus one's please speak up).

HAK can you update the first post?

We need to limit this tasting to max 20 so if you'd like to attend please post.

Shamer has agreed to host on the condition that I stay in the big red chair & not move.
Kinda like Jabba The Hut.
I'll agree to this if I can chain HAK to the chair and he dons a gold bikini.

So...May 16th, our place.

Time 1:00 PM, 2PM ???

This is what I have my eye on so far.
All are Mondavi Cab Reserves:
'77, '79, '81 (all confirmed)
'83, '85, '88 (chasing)
'95 (maybe)
'96, '97, '98, '99 (most likely)
Door Prize: A MAGNUM of 1979 but not confirmed yet.

Also there was a tasting in Toronto by a wine club back in 1998 of Mondavi's Reserve Cabs.
Here's the link for notes:
http://www.winetasters.ca/WSTNotes/ntmondavi.html

gijose

I should definitely be able to make it no problem, and the +1 as well. I'll have to ask her first though.

NYC!

fdiaz01

Krugsters wrote:

So...May 16th, our place.

Time 1:00 PM, 2PM ???

This is what I have my eye on so far.
All are Mondavi Cab Reserves:
'77, '79, '81 (all confirmed)
'83, '85, '88 (chasing)
'95 (maybe)
'96, '97, '98, '99 (most likely)
Door Prize: A MAGNUM of 1979 but not confirmed yet.

Also there was a tasting in Toronto by a wine club back in 1998 of Mondavi's Reserve Cabs.
Here's the link for notes:
http://www.winetasters.ca/WSTNotes/ntmondavi.html

oh, sorry didn't look at the date. I can't make the 16th because Jean's graduation is on the 17th so will be in DC....the following 2 weekends should be ok with me

gijose

30th is the only day I for sure could not make.

NYC!

Krugsters

fdiaz01 wrote:oh, sorry didn't look at the date. I can't make the 16th because Jean's graduation is on the 17th so will be in DC....the following 2 weekends should be ok with me

How about Saturday, May 2nd? If it gets later in the month it will be too late for me.

kttest

quality posts: 2 Private Messages kttest
Krugsters wrote:How about Saturday, May 2nd? If it gets later in the month it will be too late for me.

May 2, is out for us, but if that works for everyone, we'll have to miss it.

Krugsters, you definitely have to stay in that red chair!

- Krista
"Wine is the most civilized thing in the world." -Ernest Hemingway.
NYC Tastings Summary courtesy of HAK

Krugsters

kttest wrote:May 2, is out for us, but if that works for everyone, we'll have to miss it.

Krugsters, you definitely have to stay in that red chair!

Perhaps we should make this the April tasting #11 then?

bigfrank

quality posts: 10 Private Messages bigfrank

I am running a wine and beer tasting at a local Church in Middle Village Queens at Our Lady of Hope Church, Date is May 9 at 7 pm tickets are $20, Wine can be purchased at below wholesale prices.

join me in the hot tub at www.bigfrankshottub.com

HitAnyKey42

Bumpety bumping to get the planning for this back under way.
The weekend of June 6th is out for me as I'll be in Pt. Pleasant, NJ partying it up with about 30+ friends at 5 houses we got rented out.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

SippinOn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SippinOn

I came across this post after looking for a good price on the '07 Blue Jay PN. I'm in nYc, and would totally down to meet up with the group and taste whatever is being offered.

So what Do I have to do ?

HitAnyKey42

SippinOn wrote:I came across this post after looking for a good price on the '07 Blue Jay PN. I'm in nYc, and would totally down to meet up with the group and taste whatever is being offered.

So what Do I have to do ?

For now...exactly what you just did.

Though since we haven't set a date or theme for this one yet, feel free to put forth your input on what dates might be good (or not good if it's a smaller list). We should be aiming for June, since the Sip-n-Sail will essentially take the place of the July tasting.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

afranke

quality posts: 10 Private Messages afranke

If this tasting in in June, a nice summer month, how about we rock the roses?

HitAnyKey42

afranke wrote:If this tasting in in June, a nice summer month, how about we rock the roses?

Personally I don't want a tasting of all rosés. Also from recollection of the DC group doing one, it gets very difficult to discern differences between them when you have a lot of them.
Do I have any other suggestions yet, though? No.
And with that, I'm off to bed after staying up too late tonight after getting back from my super exhausting weekend which I can tell people about tomorrow.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

Krugsters

HitAnyKey42 wrote:Personally I don't want a tasting of all rosés. Also from recollection of the DC group doing one, it gets very difficult to discern differences between them when you have a lot of them.
Do I have any other suggestions yet, though? No.
And with that, I'm off to bed after staying up too late tonight after getting back from my super exhausting weekend which I can tell people about tomorrow.

How about the Loire Valley?

HitAnyKey42

I don't have anything in my cellar from there. How about somewhere else?

Though actually, I think we should figure out a date and a host first. As then people will be able to figure out if they can even attend, and then the theme get decided amongst them.

I already know 6/13 is out for me as I have a bday party to go to that evening. I'll have to doublecheck the others later.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

fdiaz01

Krugsters wrote:How about the Loire Valley?

Loire sounds great. I think it is very summer appropriate, both the reds and whites, and I do not get to drink them often so would love to learn more.

Krugsters

fdiaz01 wrote:Loire sounds great. I think it is very summer appropriate, both the reds and whites, and I do not get to drink them often so would love to learn more.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Perfect summer drinking at a great price point.

fdiaz01

guys we are falling behind. Let's taste some vino!!! we haven't even chosen a date right?

Jean and I will be moving to "Manhattan" soon (pretty uptown) so although not for the next one we might be able to host in the not too distant future (depending on # of attendees)

HitAnyKey42

As I stated up above, before we pick a date we really need to find a host. And for the host to advise on available dates.
And I think it's too soon to burden Krugsters with hosting (even if she does volunteer).

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

cjsiege

quality posts: 13 Private Messages cjsiege

*bump*

So...June??? Not looking to promising for y'all.

HitAnyKey42

Bumping this up again. Obviously this will become our August tasting, with the Sip-n-Sail being July.
Sooo....who wants to host? Is bigriller still out there? You wanna offer that rooftop hosting option? If people truly want to make another trip out my way, I'm more than willing to host again. Just remember, we can't do a full 20 people at my place...then again, I doubt that many would want to travel so far. Though you'd get to view my new wine cellar in person if you did.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

Krugsters

HitAnyKey42 wrote:Bumping this up again. Obviously this will become our August tasting, with the Sip-n-Sail being July.
Sooo....who wants to host? Is bigriller still out there? You wanna offer that rooftop hosting option? If people truly want to make another trip out my way, I'm more than willing to host again. Just remember, we can't do a full 20 people at my place...then again, I doubt that many would want to travel so far. Though you'd get to view my new wine cellar in person if you did.

HAK...can you do an outdoor thing in your front yard? Will that be cool with the neighbors? You could fit more that way.

PetiteSirah

quality posts: 78 Private Messages PetiteSirah

I might even be able to attend... as a NY resident! :-D

Depends on the date, though. Won't be up permanently before 8/22.

Hail the victor, the king without flaw
Salute your new master ... Petite Sirah!

"Who has two thumbs and loves Petite Sirah?" ThisGuy!

HitAnyKey42

Krugsters wrote:HAK...can you do an outdoor thing in your front yard? Will that be cool with the neighbors? You could fit more that way.

As far as I know I can. I know I've seen people enough times have small gatherings out in front of their units for bbq's, etc.
And on a side note, I do supposedly have access to a rather large common room in the community center. I'd just have to find out how much it actually would cost to rent, but it probably wouldn't be necessary.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

Cesare

quality posts: 1561 Private Messages Cesare

There will be a little pre-cruise gathering on Friday 7/17 but it's going to be very limited and unofficial. Just some food and whatever wine I open or whatever local people want to bring. And actually drink, not taste. For the early out of towners and some locals. Looks like maybe a dozen people, who I have contacted. If I haven't then you're not invited! :P

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

kttest

PetiteSirah wrote:I might even be able to attend... as a NY resident! :-D

Depends on the date, though. Won't be up permanently before 8/22.

We are NOT available 8/1 or 8/8.

- Krista

Krugsters

kttest wrote:We are NOT available 8/1 or 8/8.

We are NOT available 8/22 or 8/29.

How about 8/15?

kttest

Krugsters wrote:We are NOT available 8/22 or 8/29.

How about 8/15?

8/15 sounds OK to me.

- Krista

thatguy314

kttest wrote:8/15 sounds OK to me.

Going to be away 8/14-8/23