Volunteer Moderator

Beehive Cheese Duo
$29.99 + $5 shipping
Condition: Cheese
Products:
1 One Pound Barely Buzzed
1 One Pound Seahive

No CT links on this one.

...but with a name like this, shouldn't this be honey?

Corrado's Training Blog @ http://DrawnOutsideTheLinesOfReason.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/Corrado

It's not my fault that I love Gatzby! He's such a pretty, pretty "man."

Cesare

quality posts: 1642 Private Messages Cesare

Beehive Cheese website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

alien88

quality posts: 18 Private Messages alien88

Yay! cheese! Last cheese I bought was amazing.. in for one.

wooters.us - scoring more bags of Koi for you than others.

filteauf

quality posts: 0 Private Messages filteauf

Hmmm, I saw cheese and clicked the button, now I read:

Nutrition Facts:

* Serving Size: 1 oz (28g)
* Servings per Container: 8

I'm trusting these are both 1 pound like the description.

afranke

quality posts: 10 Private Messages afranke

One pound of each cheese, but the descriptions says 8 servings of a 1-oz. size?

Apparently proofreaders do English, not math.

fairnymph

quality posts: 55 Private Messages fairnymph

I have the Barely Buzzed in my fridge right now, actually! I picked it up at gourmet store here in Chapel Hill.

I'll be honest - I'm not very impressed by it, but then I tend towards strongly flavoured cheese. The BB is quite mild (like a mild cheddar or jack) other than the coffee and lavender flavours, which are fairly limited being only on the edges. Maybe it'd be more interesting if the rind:cheese ratio were higher, though coffee/cheese isn't the best pairing, IMO. The lavender has promise. Texture is firm and smooth, not crumbly.

My Cellar * Read my ramblings on LiveJournal.

79 wine.woots, 42 shirt.woots, 18 woots, 3 sellout.woots, 1 kids.woot

"I like my Sirah like I like my women: young, Petite and inky." - Thralow on CT

alien88

quality posts: 18 Private Messages alien88
filteauf wrote:Hmmm, I saw cheese and clicked the button, now I read:

Nutrition Facts:

Perhaps it comes in two containers?

wooters.us - scoring more bags of Koi for you than others.

yathink2

quality posts: 4 Private Messages yathink2

Yumm... so what do i call this? the flavors sound really good. what is this, besides cheese anyway

afranke

quality posts: 10 Private Messages afranke

Will it fondue?

JOATMON

quality posts: 19 Private Messages JOATMON

How will this be shipped out, and when? I'd like to order, but with my travel schedule...

(I lie, I already ordered. But my fear is that this will be wasted because I'll be away when it ships, and will sit for a week unchilled).

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

fairnymph

afranke wrote:Will it fondue?

The BB melts nicely, so it wouldn't be a problem texture-wise, and the flavour is of course subjective.

zorandra

quality posts: 5 Private Messages zorandra

So, when the description says it will go with a "medium-bodied red wine" - what are some suggestions? Any recent WW offerings that it might pair with?

I don't want the world, I just want your half. - TMBG, "Ana Ng"
CT (working on it)

koneco

quality posts: 16 Private Messages koneco

These cheeses seem very, very interesting. I wonder if someone's ever had them before and can give me a hint as to how they taste. Certainly not bad, but what wine varieties do they go well with? Which crackers might you recommend? Do they stand well enough on their own?

I am sad that I lost track of the time and did not get to the K, but I have another seven bottles coming in from woot (Lupine and ... something else), and I want to know (because two pounds of cheese will take longer to go through if there is nothing to enjoy them with), if they are going to rock my world once I can pair them with the proper dance partner.

fairnymph

zorandra wrote:So, when the description says it will go with "medium-bodied red wine" - what are some suggestions? Any recent WW offerings that it might pair with?

Um, I can chime in here, too. I've tried pairing the BB with Cab, Pinot Noir, and Zin - none worked that well, but then none of them (well, maybe the Cab) were rich enough. A less fruity, less sour, richer red wine would work better. Syrah of the non-jammy style that was just featured, maybe the Ty Caton Field Blend, and definitely Carmenere if you can find it - those would go well, I suspect.

timwelsh

quality posts: 22 Private Messages timwelsh
filteauf wrote:Hmmm, I saw cheese and clicked the button, now I read:

Nutrition Facts:

Hi - Tim from Beehive Cheese here. They are 1 LB wedges. Servings per should be 16.

timwelsh

alien88 wrote:Perhaps it comes in two containers?

Hi, Tim from Beehive Cheese here. They are 1 LB wedges. Servings per should be 16

lauratchi

quality posts: 5 Private Messages lauratchi
timwelsh wrote:Hi - Tim from Beehive Cheese here. They are 1 LB wedges. Servings per should be 16.

Thanks for staying up Tim. Any good serving suggestions?

Little Vineyards Trio began the slow start to the slippery slope. it was alllllllllll downhill from there!

corran24

quality posts: 2 Private Messages corran24
fairnymph wrote:Um, I can chime in here, too. I've tried pairing the BB with Cab, Pinot, and Zin - none worked that well, but then none of them (well, maybe the Cab) were rich enough. A less fruity, less sour, richer red wine would work better. Syrah of the non-jammy style that was just featured, maybe the Ty Caton Field Blend, and definitely Carmenere if you can find it - those would go well, I suspect.

awesome. i still have a bottle of Ty Caton field blend left from my last purchase. now the only problem is deciding whether or not to get the cheese. all these posts are certainly tempting my wallet...

timwelsh

koneco wrote:These cheeses seem very, very interesting. I wonder if someone's ever had them before and can give me a hint as to how they taste. Certainly not bad, but what wine varieties do they go well with? Which crackers might you recommend? Do they stand well enough on their own?

I am sad that I lost track of the time and did not get to the K, but I have another seven bottles coming in from woot (Lupine and ... something else), and I want to know (because two pounds of cheese will take longer to go through if there is nothing to enjoy them with), if they are going to rock my world once I can pair them with the proper dance partner.

Tim from beehive cheese here. I go with medium red using the bigger cheese, bigger wine logic. Barely Buzzed is not a strong cheese and tends to get clobbered by a big red. My fav is a zin or a pinot that lets the cheese, coffee and lavender speak as well. The combination can really get crazy and complex. The paste of the cheese is creamy (thanks Jerseys) and that extra fat can handle tannins.

timwelsh

lauratchi wrote:Thanks for staying up Tim. Any good serving suggestions?

The Barely Buzzed is tasty with rare roast beef, dried cherries and a rosemary cracker or bread - don't forget your favorite pinot.

zorandra

quality posts: 5 Private Messages zorandra

Will there be labrats to help coax the rest of us out of our holes? If so, please do not put the cheese on a springloaded trap!

I don't want the world, I just want your half. - TMBG, "Ana Ng"
CT (working on it)

timwelsh

afranke wrote:Will it fondue?

Seahive, sure. I haven't tried it with Barely Buzzed, but why not? Dip a chunk of rare ribeye in.

Fondue would not be the first thing I'd do with either cheese - check out the flavor of the cheese on its own, then crack a bottle of wine that you think may work, then check the fridge for something to nibble with it. Do the Fondue with what is left tomorrow.

Like all cheese, enjoy at room temperature and not cold from the ice box.

winefarm

quality posts: 7 Private Messages winefarm
timwelsh wrote:The Barely Buzzed is tasty with rare roast beef, dried cherries and a rosemary cracker or bread - don't forget your favorite pinot.

actually, no. the Rats from K Vintners received a nibble of this cheese. They should be chiming in soon (hopefully).

WD

yumitori

quality posts: 22 Private Messages yumitori
timwelsh wrote:
Hi, Tim from Beehive Cheese here. They are 1 LB wedges. Servings per should be 16

Hi, Tim!

What sort of cheese would you call these?
What stage of ripeness are they at (when shipped)?

Troublemaker

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Troublemaker

Is it pasteurized?

magus57

quality posts: 3 Private Messages magus57

I'm intrigued by what's being offered today, but I have a few questions, if anybody could answer:

1. I've never bought cheese that wasn't fresh from a deli and refrigerated - how long do these types of cheeses last, and how should they be stored? I'll probably be the only one eating it, and I don't want to force myself to eat two pounds of cheese in a short time.

2. What are the closest cheeses in terms of general taste and texture? Is it anything like Brie or Camembert? I haven't tried many cheeses in my lifetime, and I've never been a fan of the very strong (and in my opinion bitter) cheeses, but I'm always up for something new - as long as it doesn't end up hurting my wallet from not liking it at all.

3. Are there any specific recipes for meals that would go together with these cheeses? I see a few references as to what would go together, but I'm not much of a cook, and would probably require a recipe for anything.

And I actually had a fourth question, but this would be to somebody who's ordered from wine.woot.com or somebody who works for woot:

Do I have to be 21 to be able to get this item? Does wine.woot.com make the age restriction apply for all items sold (meaning USPS or FedEx or whoever needs to know that I'm 21 just because it's from wine.woot.com), or just for alcoholic items (meaning they give USPS or FedEx or whoever special notice that it is alcoholic)?

timwelsh

Troublemaker wrote:Is it pasteurized?

Yes, both cheeses are made with pasteurized milk.

RuffBear

quality posts: 0 Private Messages RuffBear

Hey Tim:
I welcome opportunities to support small, family-owned businesses. And I'm a huge fan of cheese. (Tilsiter being a personal fave.)
But, being a California voter, I need to know if you supported Proposition 8 in any way. My hard-earned dollars do not go to any firm that actively participated in my losing civil rights. And I'm afraid being from Utah means your company gets the 3rd-degree.
Regards,
RuffBear

claybully

quality posts: 0 Private Messages claybully

Finally something that us utahn's can buy...something from Utah!

thatmatt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thatmatt

What's the shelf-life on these cheeses?

R70Runner

quality posts: 19 Private Messages R70Runner

8oz does not a pound make! Am I buying 8oz or 1pound???? Want, but need to know? Woot bring out the Cheese Guru to clear the cloud of confussion!!!!!!!!

I have cheese MONEY burning a hole in my pocket! HELP ME! Love the cheesees!!!!!!!

shmorf

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shmorf
R70Runner wrote:8oz does not a pound make! Am I buying 8oz or 1pound???? Want, but need to know? Woot bring out the Cheese Guru to clear the cloud of confussion!!!!!!!!

I have cheese MONEY burning a hole in my pocket! HELP ME! Love the cheesees!!!!!!!

timwelsh wrote:Hi - Tim from Beehive Cheese here. They are 1 LB wedges. Servings per should be 16.

R70Runner

quality posts: 19 Private Messages R70Runner
shmorf wrote:

Ok, I'm IN!!!! First WINE Woot! LOVE CHEESE!!!! happy to, and proud of supporting the little guy! Can't wait! MMMMMMM

treznor70

quality posts: 1 Private Messages treznor70
magus57 wrote:Do I have to be 21 to be able to get this item? Does wine.woot.com make the age restriction apply for all items sold (meaning USPS or FedEx or whoever needs to know that I'm 21 just because it's from wine.woot.com), or just for alcoholic items (meaning they give USPS or FedEx or whoever special notice that it is alcoholic)?

I'll let others respond to your other questions, and I'm particularly interested in reading the answer to #1.

For this question though, you do not have to be 21. Other non-alcoholic items have been sold on wine.woot that there was no age restriction for. There is special labeling that goes on packages that contain alcohol so the drivers know to check your age. Of course, for the non-alcoholic items there's no need for that labeling. Order away!

beezlebubba

quality posts: 6 Private Messages beezlebubba

in for one. loved the three sisters cheeses and the balsamic and the sausages...etc. kinda sux being from Jersey and not being able to get the alcoholic offerings...but my wallet is way happy I am sure.
on another note its amazing to me with one page of comments how people can't read some posts and answer their own questions before they're asked. happens almost everyday.

JadenKale

quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale
R70Runner wrote:Ok, I'm IN!!!! First WINE Woot! LOVE CHEESE!!!! happy to, and proud of supporting the little guy! Can't wait! MMMMMMM

I'm disappointed in Wisconsin not supporting something so cheesy!!!

I've gotta think about it a little bit, but I'm really tempted to snag some.

arioth

quality posts: 1 Private Messages arioth

Ooooh! I saw them making this cheese on an episode of Road Tasted with the Neelys. I almost looked up the website then and ordered, it looked so good. I'm seriously considering this one!

lauratchi

quality posts: 5 Private Messages lauratchi
arioth wrote:Ooooh! I saw them making this cheese on an episode of Road Tasted with the Neelys. I almost looked up the website then and ordered, it looked so good. I'm seriously considering this one!

That's where I saw this cheese! I've been trying to figure it out all night. Thanks!

Little Vineyards Trio began the slow start to the slippery slope. it was alllllllllll downhill from there!

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42

I’m going to need a lot of convincing for this one. I have liked all the cheese offerings we’ve had so far (though still have that Gouda unopened in my fridge) but with having to cut back on all sorts of purchases, I’m hesitant. Especially since I haven’t yet seen or heard anything truly “special” about this cheese yet. One of the questions above that someone else already asked is a biggie for me that will help twist my arm.
I’m looking to see someone (be it cheesemaker or those who have had this) put more specific wine pairing suggestions, and more importantly food/recipe suggestions. Are there any good recipe’s that this cheese would be good in? What specific dishes does it go well with? What types of cheeses is it similar to in flavor profile? Stuff like that.
And the other important thing is how long it would last. I’d be pretty much eating most of this by myself, and I typically don’t go through a lot at a time. So it would need to keep well for a good while.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings