HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42

With our hearty wine & food fest in the Catskills out of the way and #10 theme and date set, it's time to start picking dates for #11!

THEME: Mondavi Madness

DATE: 5/9
HOSTS: Krugsters
TIME: 5PM

This tasting is going to be a special tasting in honor of the (almost) one year anniversary of the passing of Robert Mondavi on May 16, 2008.

The tasting will be a near all Mondavi Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve vertical ranging from 1977 to 1999. Wines will all be provided by Krugsters (unless anyone else has any Mondavi Reserves to bring) and this tasting will include a fee to cover the cost of said wines which will get listed below.

Current known list of vintages for the Vertical:
1977 1979
1981 1988
1995 1996 1997 1998 1999
1994 Robert Mondavi Winery Cabernet Sauvignon
2005 Robert Mondavi Winery Cabernet Sauvignon Oakville
2006 Robert Mondavi Winery Merlot Private Selection California

ATTENDEES LIST (so far):
1. Krugsters
2 & 3. Shamer (+1)
4 & 5. gijose (+1)
6. HitAnyKey
7. Cheron
8. marekny7
9. Cesare
10. kttest
11. afranke
12 & 13. The Italian Aficionados
14 & 15. mattsito & ronga

MAYBE:
rpm & swmbo
thatguy

THINGS TO BRING:
Fee for the tasting: 20 people $36 ($26 w/o Door Prize) or 15 people $48 ($38 w/o Door Prize), etc

$10 for door prize (included above): a MAGNUM 1979 Robert Mondavi Winery Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve

Last updated: 4/10

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

Krugsters

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Krugsters

Since I'm going nowhere fast... every weekend works except Mother's Day.

How about April 18th?

And now we get to toss around theme.

We could travel to the Northern Rhone.
Or do the "It Was a Very Good Year" theme.

(If anyone needs an affordable wine from their birth year please let me know. I am constantly scanning numerous auction sites and have seen deals now into bottles from the 1940's up. Let me know your price limit as well).

fdiaz01

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fdiaz01
Krugsters wrote:Since I'm going nowhere fast... every weekend works except Mother's Day.

How about April 18th?

And now we get to toss around theme.

We could travel to the Northern Rhone.
Or do the "It Was a Very Good Year" theme.

(If anyone needs an affordable wine from their birth year please let me know. I am constantly scanning numerous auction sites and have seen deals now into bottles from the 1940's up. Let me know your price limit as well).

either sounds good... Northern Rhone sounds tempting since we will have the Southern style fresh in our heads to compare
For a Northern Rhone tasting it might be a good idea to pair up for some regions; regions like Hermitage and Cote Rotie can be expensive if we want a true representation

Krugsters

About to fall off.....

HitAnyKey42

If we do Northern Rhone, since I don't have any of those I would like to offer up myself as combining funds with someone to get a nicer (ie. higher priced) bottle of something.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

Krugsters

Bump

thatguy314

quality posts: 7 Private Messages thatguy314

So I think we're tabling Greece for May, right?

Here are some themes that I think we should also consider:

rice wines - not really wine, but it's offered on woot and something I think none of us really know about, I'd like to find someone professional to lead it

bubbly - instead of "why do it" the only question should be "why not?" we could investigate styles of bubbly, including a segment comparing the wines bubbled by different carbonation methods

bargain wines: nothing over $15

new world v. old world expressions of the same grapes (yes it's been done i know)

instead of a region, focus on a grape or a blend and examine them from different regions

HitAnyKey42

thatguy314 wrote:So I think we're tabling Greece for May, right?

Here are some themes that I think we should also consider:

rice wines - not really wine, but it's offered on woot and something I think none of us really know about, I'd like to find someone professional to lead it

bubbly - instead of "why do it" the only question should be "why not?" we could investigate styles of bubbly, including a segment comparing the wines bubbled by different carbonation methods

bargain wines: nothing over $15

new world v. old world expressions of the same grapes (yes it's been done i know)

instead of a region, focus on a grape or a blend and examine them from different regions

Rice wines - personally, I got no interest in that. If we do one of those, I'll probably pass.

All bubbly - Not sure how keen I am on that one either, but I'd participate almost definitely if chosen.

El'Cheapo's - Not worth it for a tasting. Those are everday guzzlers not worth wasting time and energy to try and taste through.

New/Old - sure.

Grape/Blend focus - This idea I do quite like. Though depending on what we do, we might want to pick to for focusing on. Maybe start with a white focus and then a red focus. I believe NoVA already did one like this.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

thatguy314

HitAnyKey42 wrote:Rice wines - personally, I got no interest in that. If we do one of those, I'll probably pass.

All bubbly - Not sure how keen I am on that one either, but I'd participate almost definitely if chosen.

El'Cheapo's - Not worth it for a tasting. Those are everday guzzlers not worth wasting time and energy to try and taste through.

New/Old - sure.

Grape/Blend focus - This idea I do quite like. Though depending on what we do, we might want to pick to for focusing on. Maybe start with a white focus and then a red focus. I believe NoVA already did one like this.

Cheapos - I think you're confusing price and quality (which is something we all do a lot). Think '05 wolftrap. There are some goodies out there in the price range. A lot harder to do for under $10. But a lot of wines brought are in the ~$20 range, so you can still do pretty well in the under $15.

Krugsters

thatguy314 wrote:Cheapos - I think you're confusing price and quality (which is something we all do a lot). Think '05 wolftrap. There are some goodies out there in the price range. A lot harder to do for under $10. But a lot of wines brought are in the ~$20 range, so you can still do pretty well in the under $15.

Along these lines I like the "winebid, no more than $10 a bottle" idea.

Prize goes to the best find.

Or the birthyear wines.

marekny7

quality posts: 0 Private Messages marekny7
Krugsters wrote:Along these lines I like the "winebid, no more than $10 a bottle" idea.

Prize goes to the best find.

Or the birthyear wines.

How about this find for $10 a couple of months ago.

CT

Krugsters

marekny7 wrote:How about this find for $10 a couple of months ago.

NO WAY! YOU DID NOT GET THAT FOR $10!!!!

(You creep! )

See....proves you can get amazing bottles for $10 or less.

Wow marek congrats on that find. Amazing!

HitAnyKey42

So I heard a rumor that our buddy bigriller may be able to host this one. Someone nudge him to chime in.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

iByron

quality posts: 40 Private Messages iByron

Can't do 4/25 or 4/18. Others look okay for now.

iByron
(got two bottles of this for $5 each...plus the 15% markup of course inflating them all the way to $5.75!)

iByron's iCellar (I'm a reciprocal CT Cellar Buddy)

Your Private WIneaux

bigriller

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bigriller

got the nudge HAK. yes yes, i would love to host all of you at my place. If we did it at my place, it would have to be outside on our private terrace/roofdeck (big enough for 40-50 people). If it rains, then we will just have to get really cozy inside :-)

if we settle on my place, i will throw out dates that work for me... if not, we can do one in the summer instead.

threemoons

quality posts: 18 Private Messages threemoons

Back from SXSW; sorry I missed the last one; want to do this one regardless of which wine we do.

HitAnyKey42

bigriller wrote:got the nudge HAK. yes yes, i would love to host all of you at my place. If we did it at my place, it would have to be outside on our private terrace/roofdeck (big enough for 40-50 people). If it rains, then we will just have to get really cozy inside :-)

if we settle on my place, i will throw out dates that work for me... if not, we can do one in the summer instead.

Well we have to settle on something really fast, as we're fast approaching April already.
No tasting we do should have much more than 20 (if that many) so that shouldn't be much of an issue. More than that just gets too discombobilated and ends up with too much wine. Though we'd just end up having to limit the wines again with people either combining funds to get pricier bottles and/or bringing just food/cheese/etc instead of wine.

Do we think it'll be warm enough yet to be out on a rooftop in April? I know I get cold pretty easily, and if I'm shivering while trying to taste wine...well, it'll kinda suck.
In any case, throw out the dates that would work for you so we can at least get an idea of if you hosting the April one will work out.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

HitAnyKey42

I just realized that I doubt the 18th will work out for me unless we make sure to do it as an early afternoon thing. I just remembered that I have a 40th Bday party of a friend of mine that I need to go to that night. Luckily it's in the city (at Hurley's on W. 48th street) but it would still play havok with my day and whether or not I can (or would want to) go to a wine tasting on the same day.
Though if I talk to Maya and she decides she'd want to come in for the wine tasting and then us go to the party afterwards, that would certainly be an option.
So if the 18th gets chosen, I would be a Maybe for now.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

Krugsters

HitAnyKey42 wrote:Well we have to settle on something really fast, as we're fast approaching April already.
No tasting we do should have much more than 20 (if that many) so that shouldn't be much of an issue. More than that just gets too discombobilated and ends up with too much wine. Though we'd just end up having to limit the wines again with people either combining funds to get pricier bottles and/or bringing just food/cheese/etc instead of wine.

Do we think it'll be warm enough yet to be out on a rooftop in April? I know I get cold pretty easily, and if I'm shivering while trying to taste wine...well, it'll kinda suck.
In any case, throw out the dates that would work for you so we can at least get an idea of if you hosting the April one will work out.

OK...so how's about we swap the two tastings?
The Mondavi one at our place for April & the May one at bigriller's on the rooftop?

Dates....April 25th? Or how about an early afternoon Sunday tasting? Does that work?

bigriller

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bigriller
Krugsters wrote:OK...so how's about we swap the two tastings?
The Mondavi one at our place for April & the May one at bigriller's on the rooftop?

Dates....April 25th? Or how about an early afternoon Sunday tasting? Does that work?

That would be perfect for me... i might have to be in Paris for April (work, not play, though a weekend trip to burgundy is in the mix!) and May works from a weather standpoint as well. Only weekend in may that doesnt work is may 16th, but ill start posting on nyc 12. itll be great to see you guys again.

fdiaz01

Krugsters wrote:OK...so how's about we swap the two tastings?

i can do the 25th but not that Sunday since will be upstate for a department retreat

thatguy314

fdiaz01 wrote:i can do the 25th but not that Sunday since will be upstate for a department retreat

Are you buying $3000 of wine for it again this year?

fdiaz01

thatguy314 wrote:Are you buying $3000 of wine for it again this year?

not for that retreat but for the one in May, Yes don't think we spent that much though

Krugsters

I;m back....

So, looks to be headed towards April 25th for the Mondavi tasting and the may tasting at bigriller's place since that works better for him.

Is that OK for most...please chime in!

Oh, and the door prize will be a Magnum of 1979 Robert Mondavi Reserve Cab.

Also confirmed....the '96, '97, '98 & '99 bottles are won. This joins the others I mentioned in the #12 thread (HAK can you cross post the stuff over there to here?
Thanks!

iByron

quality posts: 40 Private Messages iByron
Krugsters wrote:I;m back....

So, looks to be headed towards April 25th for the Mondavi tasting and the may tasting at bigriller's place since that works better for him.

Is that OK for most...please chime in!

Oh, and the door prize will be a Magnum of 1979 Robert Mondavi Reserve Cab.

Also confirmed....the '96, '97, '98 & '99 bottles are won. This joins the others I mentioned in the #12 thread (HAK can you cross post the stuff over there to here?
Thanks!

So are you saying April or May?

iByron's iCellar (I'm a reciprocal CT Cellar Buddy)

Your Private WIneaux

Krugsters

iByron wrote:So are you saying April or May?

April for #11-Mondavi theme
May for #12

Krugsters

As things are falling into place it looks as though we'll have 12 wines, all Mondavi Reserve Cabs, for the tasting plus 2 door prizes

Also, I think the 18th is no longer a good date. It's looking to be the 25th.

HitAnyKey42

Krugsters wrote:As things are falling into place it looks as though we'll have 12 wines, all Mondavi Reserve Cabs, for the tasting plus 2 door prizes

I'm updating the front post now. I only found in you posts 7 of the years which you had confirmed as obtained. Let me know what the others are.
Let me know what the other door prize is unless you want it kept as a surprise. Also, is the $10 per person really going to cover two door prizes? That '79 Mag is pricey as is.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

darlenee1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages darlenee1

This sounds interesting, I may be in. Also, while checking auction sites let me know if you see anything good from 1974, 1978, and 1995. I'm hoping for 30-40 a bottle. Thanks, Krugsters. And how's the whole baby thing going?

Ran out of room for the wines, and can't think of a good quote for now

Krugsters

HitAnyKey42 wrote:I'm updating the front post now. I only found in you posts 7 of the years which you had confirmed as obtained. Let me know what the others are.
Let me know what the other door prize is unless you want it kept as a surprise. Also, is the $10 per person really going to cover two door prizes? That '79 Mag is pricey as is.

I've only confirmed 7 bottles so far and waiting to the other 5 to pan out.
This waiting includes the other door prize.

Including the 2 door prizes, the cost per person should be between $42 and $45. I'll announce the other door prize once it's confirmed.

Krugsters

darlenee1 wrote:This sounds interesting, I may be in. Also, while checking auction sites let me know if you see anything good from 1974, 1978, and 1995. I'm hoping for 30-40 a bottle. Thanks, Krugsters. And how's the whole baby thing going?

What varietals/regions are you looking for within these vintages? Winebid is an excellent place to start. If I know more specifics I can be of more help.

Baby thing is going OK. They tried to make an early entrance this week which required a hospital stay but all is well now. Thanks for asking...

HitAnyKey42

Krugsters wrote:I've only confirmed 7 bottles so far and waiting to the other 5 to pan out.
This waiting includes the other door prize.

Including the 2 door prizes, the cost per person should be between $42 and $45. I'll announce the other door prize once it's confirmed.

Ok, let me know when the others get confirmed.
Everyone, please start "signing up". This was discussed repeatedly and there were a lot of tentatives while in the #12 thread. Now we need people to confirm.
Hopefully rpm catches this thread, or someone gets him to notice it. This is one I'm sure he would be interested in.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

Krugsters

HitAnyKey42 wrote:Ok, let me know when the others get confirmed.

I believe fdiaz said he could make it on the 25th.

marekny7

quality posts: 0 Private Messages marekny7

This is a no go for me as I will be away on vacation.

CT

Krugsters

HitAnyKey42 wrote:Ok, let me know when the others get confirmed.
Everyone, please start "signing up". This was discussed repeatedly and there were a lot of tentatives while in the #12 thread. Now we need people to confirm.
Hopefully rpm catches this thread, or someone gets him to notice it. This is one I'm sure he would be interested in.

Agreed. We need people to confirm. If we don't have close to 20 people we'll have to come up with another theme.
We need the 20 attendees to cover the cost of the wine & prizes. Or the price per person increases.

Will try for another sit down on this unless people don't want this.

gijose

quality posts: 4 Private Messages gijose

I'm in +1 for sure

NYC!

thatguy314

That's at the real upper end of our price range, we'll have to see what the finances look like.

That said, ThatGirl works til 6 on Saturdays anyways.

fdiaz01

Krugsters wrote:I believe fdiaz said he could make it on the 25th.

Yep, I'm in.

Krugsters

thatguy314 wrote:That's at the real upper end of our price range, we'll have to see what the finances look like.

That said, ThatGirl works til 6 on Saturdays anyways.

It should still be about $32 per person. If you'd rather not be in for the door prizes ($10) that would be OK if this was a factor in attendance.

WE'd hate not to see you there!

fdiaz01

so my friend Mario is coming so ill be +1