I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

superspryte

quality posts: 21 Private Messages superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

cheron98 wrote:
REGRETS:
  • NOT superspryte

*happy dance*

I also think the theme should be something silly like deep fry. But this should be decided much much later.

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

Email sent to my mailing list re: the swine flu and a recap of my injury. If anyone wants their email address added to my update list, please PM me and I'll add you. In general I'll keep everyone updated to the best of my ability.

As most of you know, I've been planning a trip to Michigan for the summer vacation this year, which falls in early August. Due to the recent outbreaks of the swine flu, Japan has been panicking. I can only imagine what those of you in the US, Mexico and Canada have been going through. This past week there were four verified cases...by the end of the weekend there were something like over 150. That being said, the Japanese government is starting to close schools and will probably soon be placing restrictions on international travel (my company has already forbidden travel to North America). If this pandemic continues I might not be able to leave Japan and/or return.

As of yet I haven't canceled my plans, but I won't be buying a ticket until I'm more certain of whether it's worth buying. Unfortunately this will make it more expensive (probably), but it's better than losing the money altogether. Sorry if this messes with anyone's plans. Trust me when I say it messes mine up more. T_T; I'll keep everyone updated as best I can.

Little update about my foot, I took an unpaid week off from work. The guy who hit me had accident insurance so it paid for all of my hospital visits, prescriptions and the week off of work. My company wasn't too happy about the time off, but my students aren't too unhappy so it's fine. Started up again on Monday even though it's not completely healed yet, but I've been wearing tennis shoes to walk to and from work and have been changing at the schools for maximum support. It's been keeping the pain tolerable. I'm sure you all know how much being immobile is impossible for a busybody like me, so it's been rough not being able to take care of myself. Thankfully Moo Cow has been here to deal with me. Without his help I'd have gone insane. So thanks to Moo Cow! ^_^

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
superspryte wrote:That being said, the Japanese government is starting to close schools and will probably soon be placing restrictions on international travel (my company has already forbidden travel to North America). If this pandemic continues I might not be able to leave Japan and/or return.

Meepers!

We'll keep the date open for you!! Seems like it's dying down over here, at least in our area. Haven't really heard much from it since the initial panic mode that we love to go through. Canton closed schools for 2 or 3 days a little while ago to completely disinfect the buildings when one student testing positive for it, but aside from that, there really hasn't been too much going on. That I've heard of anyway. Then again, I tend to ignore the nightly news because it's always just depressing anyway.

Please keep us updated!

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

cheron98 wrote:Meepers!

We'll keep the date open for you!! Seems like it's dying down over here, at least in our area. Haven't really heard much from it since the initial panic mode that we love to go through. Canton closed schools for 2 or 3 days a little while ago to completely disinfect the buildings when one student testing positive for it, but aside from that, there really hasn't been too much going on. That I've heard of anyway. Then again, I tend to ignore the nightly news because it's always just depressing anyway.

Please keep us updated!

Thanks! I'm fairly confident things will die down by then and that I'll be able to make it, but I thought after the weekend's news it was important to let everyone know. If I can't be there I'm determined to have a skype call with everyone for at least part of it! *pout*

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

Looking for a ticket, with aims to buy in the next couple weeks. Will let you know if I find one I can afford... Now that the ban on travel isn't being taken seriously I'm gonna see what I can do. But I suspect all the cheap tickets are gone.

bahwm

quality posts: 29 Private Messages bahwm
cheron98 wrote:Meepers!

Please keep us updated!

Last week there was a confirmed case of celery flu in one of our elementary schools. The student was cleared to return to school this past Monday. Try to stay healthy, all!

SS, hope to see you in August!

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

cheron98

bahwm wrote:Last week there was a confirmed case of celery flu in one of our elementary schools. The student was cleared to return to school this past Monday. Try to stay healthy, all!

SS, hope to see you in August!

bahwm - does that mean you and ddeuddeg are planning on coming out for this?

bahwm

cheron98 wrote:bahwm - does that mean you and ddeuddeg are planning on coming out for this?

Yep! We're hoping to. ddeuddeg just said that Superspryte better be there!

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

Slydon

quality posts: 17 Private Messages Slydon

Staff

oooooooooooooooo

Hi, I'm one of the writers. My powers are limited but I'll do what I can.

cheron98

Slydon wrote:oooooooooooooooo

so... is... that an "I'm coming"?

bahwm

cheron98 wrote:so... is... that an "I'm coming"?

I thought it was a comment on my last statement on my last post here?

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

Well if anyone wants to help me make it, help me do some research for plane tickets? I still can't find anything affordable ($1000 or so is my limit... for the tickets). I'm looking for Narita (NRT) to Detroit Metro (DTW) on or around the 7th of August (vacation starts the 6th) and returning the 19th (last day of vacation is the 21st). I don't mind if I lose a few days in the US if it's cheaper to fly. So far I haven't found much under $2000. They exist. I know it. My friend said she found tickets for $700 last week so I'm determined.

So yeah, if you do find something the fastest way to get ahold of me is to be creative and figure out my gmail address (you can do it...it's not that hard) and shoot me a link or a recommendation. We'll see what happens. I'm planning to be there so don't count me out yet!

cheron98

superspryte wrote:Well if anyone wants to help me make it, help me do some research for plane tickets? I still can't find anything affordable ($1000 or so is my limit... for the tickets). I'm looking for Narita (NRT) to Detroit Metro (DTW) on or around the 7th of August (vacation starts the 6th) and returning the 19th (last day of vacation is the 21st). I don't mind if I lose a few days in the US if it's cheaper to fly. So far I haven't found much under $2000. They exist. I know it. My friend said she found tickets for $700 last week so I'm determined.

So yeah, if you do find something the fastest way to get ahold of me is to be creative and figure out my gmail address (you can do it...it's not that hard) and shoot me a link or a recommendation. We'll see what happens. I'm planning to be there so don't count me out yet!

have you tried using sidestep, or maybe going through Priceline for a name-your-own-price attempt?

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

cheron98 wrote:have you tried using sidestep, or maybe going through Priceline for a name-your-own-price attempt?

Priceline requires that the departing airport be from the US or Canada. The cheapest on Sidestip is $1648.

cheron98

superspryte wrote:Priceline requires that the departing airport be from the US or Canada. The cheapest on Sidestip is $1648.

Well maybe you can use Priceline for the US-Japan return portion of the trip and then see what you can do about the Japan-US trip Might help.

Lighter

quality posts: 10 Private Messages Lighter
superspryte wrote:Priceline requires that the departing airport be from the US or Canada. The cheapest on Sidestip is $1648.

I did a few minutes with orbitz. Leaving and returning on Saturday or Sunday gets the round trip prices around $810 USD inc tax and fees. Weekday travel is what knocks it up to $1600.

I don't know how to play international dateline on the dates to scrimp out a bit more time.

Ultimately, you'll have to search and purchase on Japan sites, not on USA sites. Continental, Delta and United seemed to have the best prices for a Detroit originated flight. I'd start looking on their Japan sites to get a base-line. The find the Japan equivalents of cheap tickets dot com.

(These childish w00t filters are really annoying. Isn't anyone who has completed puberty working there?)

bahwm

Lighter wrote:I did a few minutes with orbitz. Leaving and returning on Saturday or Sunday gets the round trip prices around $810 USD inc tax and fees. Weekday travel is what knocks it up to $1600.

I don't know how to play international dateline on the dates to scrimp out a bit more time.

Ultimately, you'll have to search and purchase on Japan sites, not on USA sites. Continental, Delta and United seemed to have the best prices for a Detroit originated flight. I'd start looking on their Japan sites to get a base-line. The find the Japan equivalents of cheap tickets dot com.

(These childish w00t filters are really annoying. Isn't anyone who has completed puberty working there?)

What about flying through Toronto, Ontario, Canada or St. Catherines or Hamilton? You would probably have a 3 - 4 hour drive on this end, but it might be cheaper. Just a thought.

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

Lighter wrote:I did a few minutes with orbitz. Leaving and returning on Saturday or Sunday gets the round trip prices around $810 USD inc tax and fees. Weekday travel is what knocks it up to $1600.

The problem is, I can't take any personal days off at the end of the vacation. My "weekend" is Thursday and Friday so I have to work both Saturday and Sunday mornings. I'd have to return on Wednesday night or Thursday (preferably Wednesday to have recovery time). And in Japan the flights appear cheap until they add as much again in additional fees. It's ridiculous. T_T;

Zoomba77

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Zoomba77

Put cyborgdo11 and I down as "Maybe". I'm moving mid/late August so I'm not sure what my weekends are going to be like.

cheron98

Zoomba77 wrote:Put cyborgdo11 and I down as "Maybe". I'm moving mid/late August so I'm not sure what my weekends are going to be like.

mooooving? Find a new place a little more centrally located for you two?

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

I have sent an email to my friends and family in the US letting them know that the plans have been canceled. Unless some weird coincidence happens I won't be finding a ticket. That being said, I'd still like to be on a skype call for part of the tasting, to say hello. Although the idea of being on cheron's massive TV scares me a little. Anyway, sorry for the letdown. I blame the piggy flu. T_T;

cheron98

superspryte wrote:I have sent an email to my friends and family in the US letting them know that the plans have been canceled. Unless some weird coincidence happens I won't be finding a ticket. That being said, I'd still like to be on a skype call for part of the tasting, to say hello. Although the idea of being on cheron's massive TV scares me a little. Anyway, sorry for the letdown. I blame the piggy flu. T_T;

But but... stupid piggy flu. Guess we'll have to pick a new theme and stuff.

cjsiege

quality posts: 13 Private Messages cjsiege
cheron98 wrote:

But but... stupid piggy flu. Guess we'll have to pick a new theme and stuff.

Nah! It's DTW #7: Superspryte is Back In Town -- via Skype!

cheron98

cjsiege wrote:Nah! It's DTW #7: Superspryte is Back In Town -- via Skype!

Well I'll have to pick new wines Can't drink the Ambrosia I picked up special without Spryte!

cheron98

Ooh, guess I'll need to get a webcam and microphone, huh...

tiger7610

quality posts: 17 Private Messages tiger7610

They are not hard to find, I found mine in walmart works like a charm for over 3 years now

cheron98 wrote:Ooh, guess I'll need to get a webcam and microphone, huh...

cheron98

tiger7610 wrote:They are not hard to find, I found mine in walmart works like a charm for over 3 years now

One might even pop up in the wootoff

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg

I just received notice of a meeting I have to attend in Rochester on 8/15, so I'm afraid bahwm and I will have to move to the Regrets column. Sorry.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

cheron98

ddeuddeg wrote:I just received notice of a meeting I have to attend in Rochester on 8/15, so I'm afraid bahwm and I will have to move to the Regrets column. Sorry.

Hmm... so that makes it me and Spryte, hm? Where's all the peeps?!

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

cheron98 wrote:Hmm... so that makes it me and Spryte, hm? Where's all the peeps?!

Awww, well we can have a conference call another time. Over Xmas I might be in Hong Kong though...

Just lemme know when someone's gonna have a camera and microphone there and I'll be there in skype glory to say hello.

PS - One of my friends has Munchkin here!!!

tommythecat78

quality posts: 18 Private Messages tommythecat78
cheron98 wrote:Hmm... so that makes it me and Spryte, hm? Where's all the peeps?!

Now that my roommate is not getting married, I should be able to make it.

___________________________________________________________________________________________
My Cellar (has not been updated in forever)
Do the people want fire that can be applied nasally? -Golgafrinchan Marketing Consultant

cheron98

tommythecat78 wrote:Now that my roommate is not getting married, I should be able to make it.

Aw, sad for your roommate.

Yay for us!

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

cheron98 wrote:Aw, sad for your roommate.

Yay for us!

No, it would've been sad if the roomie had decided not to get married AFTERWARDS. ^_~

PS - Are we still skyping? Y'all can see my new apartment if we are. o_O; But I'll have been there 2 weeks...not long enough to completely settle in and get all the niceties I want (new curtains...just gonna have the ugly ones from my old apt).

tommythecat78

cheron98 wrote:Aw, sad for your roommate.

Yay for us!

Back to getting married. I will just have to leave early on Sunday morning.

___________________________________________________________________________________________
Do the people want fire that can be applied nasally? -Golgafrinchan Marketing Consultant

cheron98

tommythecat78 wrote:Back to getting married. I will just have to leave early on Sunday morning.

[sarcasm]Oh boy, I can see that marriage lasting FOREVER.[/sarcasm]

Yes, Spryte, the plan is still to Skype, but I still need to go out and pick up a webcam and stuff. Will do that this weekend Or next.

tommythecat78

cheron98 wrote:[sarcasm]Oh boy, I can see that marriage lasting FOREVER.[/sarcasm]

Yes, Spryte, the plan is still to Skype, but I still need to go out and pick up a webcam and stuff. Will do that this weekend Or next.

You have no idea.

cheron98

Well, it's just the three of us. And I'd hate for tommy to drive all the way out from Chi-town to then have to rush back in the morning.

How about we postpone until more people are available?

tommythecat78

cheron98 wrote:Well, it's just the three of us. And I'd hate for tommy to drive all the way out from Chi-town to then have to rush back in the morning.

How about we postpone until more people are available?

I leave the call up to you. I am OK either way.

cheron98

tommythecat78 wrote:I leave the call up to you. I am OK either way.

Let's postpone. If this month continues the way it started, I'm going to be up to my eyeballs in work scaffolding. Plus I have people who want me to help them move on that day. And blah. Let's postpone.