jwhite6114


quality posts: 119 Private Messages jwhite6114

DETAILS:
DATE: 4/25/09
TIME: 7:00PM (EST)
THEME: Spanish Wines
HOST: InShadows (for directions, send a PM to him)

ATTENDEES LIST (so far):

  1. InShadows
    - Spanish rice and chicken dish
  2. jwhite6114
  3. cjsiege
    - chocolate cake
  4. Sonadora
  5. Matt (Sonadora+1)
  6. Hershelk
  7. SpdRcr05
  8. Lasgar
  9. tripgrad
  10. fairnymph


MAYBES:
  1. theresa1013
  2. Lasgar+1
  3. nabrunk+1
  4. SpdRcr05+1


REGRETS:
  1. Loweeel
  2. iByron
  3. synchrodan
  4. synchrodan+1
  5. nabrunk


WINES:

last updated: 4/24

CT | | | | | |

PetiteSirah


quality posts: 80 Private Messages PetiteSirah
jwhite6114 wrote:Alrighty NoVA / DC folks ... we've set a date and theme for #11; we've completed tasting (and hopefully recovering) from #10; HAK is back in NYC and up to his usual Big Apple hi-jinx. It's time to start picking dates for #12!

Since #11 is Mar 7, and there are all kinds of Passover and Easter observation days in early April, I am thinking we should look at mid-April to mid-May for this one.

Apr 18 - jw
Apr 25 - jw
May 2 -
May 9 (Mother's Day weekend -- prob not best timing)
May 16 - jw
May 23 (Memorial Day weekend -- prob best to avoid)

Start chiming in with dates that work for you and dates that don't!



I may be able to do 4/25, I will definitely be out of town on 4/18.

As for theme... how about palate training or a regional theme? Non-fortified wines of Iberia?

Hail the victor, the king without flaw
Salute your new master ... Petite Sirah!


"Who has two thumbs and loves Petite Sirah?" ThisGuy!

cjsiege


quality posts: 13 Private Messages cjsiege

I'm not available for 4/18.

InShadows


quality posts: 1 Private Messages InShadows

available for any and all dates posted.

CT
“Every time you think something or someone is stupid, it just means there is another thing in this world you don’t understand.” - In memory of Robert, 1975-2009
If you make a man a fire, he'll be warm for a night. If you set him on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Past NoVA Gatherings

leroydasquirrel


quality posts: 0 Private Messages leroydasquirrel

Hmmm...here's a theme thought everyone will cringe at. How about local Virginia Wineries? Each person bring a bottle from a different vineyard?

I eat my own toenails.

cheron98


quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
leroydasquirrel wrote:Hmmm...here's a theme thought everyone will cringe at. How about local Virginia Wineries? Each person bring a bottle from a different vineyard?



I was totally gonna suggest a similar theme for a Detroit tasting. Pick a Michigan wine

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

jwhite6114


quality posts: 119 Private Messages jwhite6114
PetiteSirah wrote:I may be able to do 4/25, I will definitely be out of town on 4/18.

As for theme... how about palate training or a regional theme? Non-fortified wines of Iberia?



So basically Spanish wines?

I like both of these ideas and would go with either.

cjsiege wrote:I'm not available for 4/18.



I've marked you down as being available for all of the other dates. Let me know if this is wrong.

leroydasquirrel wrote:Hmmm...here's a theme thought everyone will cringe at. How about local Virginia Wineries? Each person bring a bottle from a different vineyard?



Yeah ... InShadows will surely find something good to bring, and iB has a talent for finding good stuff anywhere. Otherwise we may need to keep it a small group if we limit it to good local wines.

cheron98 wrote:I was totally gonna suggest a similar theme for a Detroit tasting. Pick a Michigan wine



So does this mean I'll get my Iron Horse Cab Franc in April?

CT | | | | | |

hershelk


quality posts: 6 Private Messages hershelk

At this time I can't make May 9 or 16, but the rest fo the dates look OK for me.

We could try to do a movie night again. The problem is once we get through formally tasting each wine we run out of time. How about a movie night theme where each person brings a favorite $10 or less wine. We open them all up, start the movie and everyone can self serve the wines. Alternatively, we could skip the movie but use the great wines at $10 or less theme. These types of tasting really help you come up with good house wines to have around.

CT

sonadora


quality posts: 2 Private Messages sonadora

We can't do the 16th, family wedding to attend.

I think the rest of the dates would work.

As the weather gets nicer and it stays lighter later, maybe we could consider doing a tasting outside? I'd have to talk to Matt about dates, but we live in Alexandria and have a big (for the area!) backyard and a grill...and would be happy to host at some point. We could start a little earlier in the afternoon and have a tasting and bbq type thing....maybe a dry rose tasting with bbq?

Just a thought!

cheron98


quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
jwhite6114 wrote:So does this mean I'll get my Iron Horse Cab Franc in April?



What Iron Horse Cab Franc? You're delusional.

I dunno. We'll see. Since you've excluded the whole Easter weekend thing, that means I once again have to play the flight game. Which means y'all have to pick a date pronto.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

InShadows


quality posts: 1 Private Messages InShadows
leroydasquirrel wrote:Hmmm...here's a theme thought everyone will cringe at. How about local Virginia Wineries? Each person bring a bottle from a different vineyard?



Excellent idea, and we could possibly extend this theme a little more. It would have to almost be a day event but we could go to one of the better known VA wineries for a tasting. I would recommend Horton vineyards as that winery since they probably have the most diversity in wines in the area. We could have personalized tours and everything. It is a hike for most of us. I think the only person who would really champion this idea would be cj, but I love to drive on the weekends. Just expanding on an idea out there.

On a side note, Horton's pig pickin' is July 11th. Get your tickets now if you would like to attend.

CT
“Every time you think something or someone is stupid, it just means there is another thing in this world you don’t understand.” - In memory of Robert, 1975-2009
If you make a man a fire, he'll be warm for a night. If you set him on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Past NoVA Gatherings

cjsiege


quality posts: 13 Private Messages cjsiege
InShadows wrote:Excellent idea, and we could possibly extend this theme a little more. It would have to almost be a day event but we could go to one of the better known VA wineries for a tasting. I would recommend Horton vineyards as that winery since they probably have the most diversity in wines in the area. We could have personalized tours and everything. It is a hike for most of us. I think the only person who would really champion this idea would be cj, but I love to drive on the weekends. Just expanding on an idea out there.

On a side note, Horton's pig pickin' is July 11th. Get your tickets now if you would like to attend.


Oh, I'm all for a C'ville expedition. I've even got leads on some decent places to stay. (At least decent in my book. YMMV.) And if we're going to Horton, We also need to go to Barboursville and Keswick (my favorite!) while on THAT side of C'ville. And then we go to...... [wander off to do more research]

hershelk


quality posts: 6 Private Messages hershelk
cjsiege wrote:Oh, I'm all for a C'ville expedition. I've even got leads on some decent places to stay.



Depending on the size of the crowd, I have a place out in West VA 20 miles this side of Moorefield we could stay in overnight. Work our way west stopping along the way, stay overnight then follow a different path back.

Alternatively when the whether gets nice I am willing to hold a night in the country tasting.

CT

kkv123


quality posts: 10 Private Messages kkv123
hershelk wrote:Depending on the size of the crowd, I have a place out in West VA 20 miles this side of Moorefield we could stay in overnight. Work our way west stopping along the way, stay overnight then follow a different path back.

Alternatively when the whether gets nice I am willing to hold a night in the country tasting.



Now that's an offer I can't refuse. Count me in!

WV69


quality posts: 2 Private Messages WV69
hershelk wrote:Depending on the size of the crowd, I have a place out in West VA 20 miles this side of Moorefield we could stay in overnight. Work our way west stopping along the way, stay overnight then follow a different path back.

Alternatively when the whether gets nice I am willing to hold a night in the country tasting.



Ooooh, wine tasting, AND an adventure! Now THAT'S an idea I could get behind!!

InShadows


quality posts: 1 Private Messages InShadows

I haven't made it definite yet but there is now a charity Texas hold-em tournament on the 25th of April to help raise money for a 14 month old girl who's liver totally failed. I wish I could do both that day if the 25th is chosen but the tournament is being held from 2-11pm, which is a lot later than usual for them. I haven't bought the ticket yet but I should soon if I want a seat.

CT
“Every time you think something or someone is stupid, it just means there is another thing in this world you don’t understand.” - In memory of Robert, 1975-2009
If you make a man a fire, he'll be warm for a night. If you set him on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Past NoVA Gatherings

cheron98


quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98

Let's revisit the whole Memorial Day Weekend thing. If the idea is to head out to hershel's little cabin in the woods or do the winery hop thing, would that weekend really be all that bad a choice to do it?

I'd like to come... April 25th is out since I'm heading to Buffalo that weekend, but any of the others MAY be possibilities. Depending, y'know, on y'all picking a date and flight options etc etc. Although if tommy is gonna come, driving may be back on the table. Since we can split driving

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

darlenee1


quality posts: 7 Private Messages darlenee1

My best friend lives in the DC area. If you guys choose a weekend that school is out, like Memorial Day, maybe I'll be able to make the trip down as well

Ran out of room for the wines, and can't think of a good quote for now

jwhite6114


quality posts: 119 Private Messages jwhite6114

Sounds like there are a lot of folks who would go for a holiday weekend. I, for one, won't likely be able to do any holiday weekends (family time), but if that works for the crowd then I can put it on the table in the date selection.

CT | | | | | |

Loweeel


quality posts: 5 Private Messages Loweeel
jwhite6114 wrote:Sounds like there are a lot of folks who would go for a holiday weekend. I, for one, won't likely be able to do any holiday weekends (family time), but if that works for the crowd then I can put it on the table in the date selection.



I probably won't be around any long weekend over the Summer. Hopefully, I'll be doing lots of job interviews, but my weekend schedule will be sporadic and subject to change at a moment's notice.

Stupid legal job market.

Favorites: Roessler ¬ KRPN ¬ Etude ¬ Stuart ¬ KRPort ¬ Tøøthstejnn ¬ Titus ¬ URSA ¬ InZin ¬ SBMystery ¬ SxBS&Z+4 ¬ DC3&4 ¬ TyC3&FB ¬ FeEquus ¬ PSPS ¬ Harvey ¬ SBRes&CR ¬ Corison ¬ Noceto ¬ Humbug ¬ KRSEXY3SOME ¬ PoiZin06 ¬ POLY ¬ Castoro ¬ SBCab ¬ KRPS2K ¬ HW12 ¬ GSaké ¬ הגפןCab ¬ PepBr

CT ¬ PSychos' Path
"The one difference between me and Petite Sirah is that I don't have a dumb period." - YT

spdrcr05


quality posts: 30 Private Messages spdrcr05

I'm good for any date (i.e. put me down for all of them J-dub)... although I'll express a preference for either the 25th or the 2nd as these bracket my birthday.

I'm definitely up for the wine tour! Like IS I love going for drive on the weekends. Although I'd certainly participate in a themed fixed site tasting as well.

Edit: She's a lot more dependent on dates, but I'm going to go ahead and say I'm +1

In periods of profound change, the most dangerous thing is to incrementalize yourself into the future -- Thomas Edision

darlenee1


quality posts: 7 Private Messages darlenee1
darlenee1 wrote:My best friend lives in the DC area. If you guys choose a weekend that school is out, like Memorial Day, maybe I'll be able to make the trip down as well



Speaking of said best friend, she joined woot without my knowledge and is a tentative yes for your previous gathering (nabrunk). Small world!

Ran out of room for the wines, and can't think of a good quote for now

kkv123


quality posts: 10 Private Messages kkv123
jwhite6114 wrote:Sounds like there are a lot of folks who would go for a holiday weekend.



I've got to throw my cap into the ring for non-holiday weekends.

I've previously attempted just such a winery tour on a July 4th weekend using a cabin at Bryce as home base, and it was not quite what we anticipated.

The crowds, both on the roads and at the vineyards, were horrendous. Barboursville and Horton were particularly bad. At Barboursville, tasters jostled for position along the entire length of the counter, standing four people deep. The staff was overwhelmed and so were we. Halfway through the wine list, we left.

At Horton Vineyard, the gentleman pouring our tasting was none other than the owner himself, Dennis Horton. When it became clear that our primary interest was learning about the wine (rather than "getting a cheap buzz" like everyone else, he muttered) he kindly slowed the pace of our tasting down, serving three or four groups before returning back to us.

As we were leaving, Dennis remarked that he wished we had come on another weekend. We did, too.

My .02.


tripgrad


quality posts: 3 Private Messages tripgrad
jwhite6114 wrote:It's time to start picking dates for #12!
Since #11 is Mar 7, and there are all kinds of Passover and Easter observation days in early April, I am thinking we should look at mid-April to mid-May for this one.
  • Apr 18 - jw is s&m h tc*
  • Apr 25 - jw l cj is s&m h tc*
  • May 2 - cj is s&m tc*
  • May 9 (Mother's Day weekend -- prob not best timing)
  • May 16 - jw cj is tc*
  • May 23 (Memorial Day weekend -- prob best to avoid)
* - indicates maybe (traveler)

Start chiming in with dates that work for you and dates that don't!


I like 4/18 because it is right after Income Tax due date. Also the earlier we hold the next, then we could also do it again at end of May.

R.I.P.
WINE.W00T NOV 4, 2012

jwhite6114


quality posts: 119 Private Messages jwhite6114
tripgrad wrote:I like 4/18 because it is right after Income Tax due date. Also the earlier we hold the next, then we could also do it again at end of May.



4/18 and 4/25 are appearing the front runners at this point. That would leave late May and early June likely starting points for #13.

We have a mix of folks, it seems, who can do either 4/18 -or- 4/25, but not both. Do we have a volunteer host who can help determine which of these dates will work best?

CT | | | | | |

jwhite6114


quality posts: 119 Private Messages jwhite6114
darlenee1 wrote:Speaking of said best friend, she joined woot without my knowledge and is a tentative yes for your previous gathering (nabrunk). Small world!



That's funny! She and her hubby made it to NoVA #10, and appeared to have a good time. She has chimed in on #11 as well (though she cannot make it), so hopefully we have another DC regular!

CT | | | | | |

darlenee1


quality posts: 7 Private Messages darlenee1
jwhite6114 wrote:That's funny! She and her hubby made it to NoVA #10, and appeared to have a good time. She has chimed in on #11 as well (though she cannot make it), so hopefully we have another DC regular!



She told me she had fun! I look forward to attending one of y'alls tastings with her in the future

Ran out of room for the wines, and can't think of a good quote for now

InShadows


quality posts: 1 Private Messages InShadows

if it is May 2nd I will be +2.

Edit: I've secretly switched this post with somebody's else. Let's see if they notice.

CT
“Every time you think something or someone is stupid, it just means there is another thing in this world you don’t understand.” - In memory of Robert, 1975-2009
If you make a man a fire, he'll be warm for a night. If you set him on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Past NoVA Gatherings

cjsiege


quality posts: 13 Private Messages cjsiege

If we hold #12 (or lucky #13) on May 30, then it will be on my birthday!

Lasgar


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Lasgar

4/25, 5/9, and 5/23 are all good for me.

jwhite6114


quality posts: 119 Private Messages jwhite6114

First post updated -- 4/25 is looking like the best candidate so far.

Any objections to calling this one for 4/25?

Anyone willing to host on 4/25?

CT | | | | | |

InShadows


quality posts: 1 Private Messages InShadows
jwhite6114 wrote:First post updated -- 4/25 is looking like the best candidate so far.

Any objections to calling this one for 4/25?

Anyone willing to host on 4/25?



Fine by me. My friends will be upset, but meh their loss.

I can always host, if you don't mind slugging out to da burbs. Sleeping arrangements can always be negotiated.

CT
“Every time you think something or someone is stupid, it just means there is another thing in this world you don’t understand.” - In memory of Robert, 1975-2009
If you make a man a fire, he'll be warm for a night. If you set him on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Past NoVA Gatherings

cheron98


quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
jwhite6114 wrote:First post updated -- 4/25 is looking like the best candidate so far.

Any objections to calling this one for 4/25?

Anyone willing to host on 4/25?



4/25 is no good for me - Buffalo tasting. Which means you get no Cab Franc

And, iirc, no me means no tommy, which means you don't get whatever wine you snaked from him either

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

CpprCr8


quality posts: 5 Private Messages CpprCr8
InShadows wrote:I can always host, if you don't mind slugging out to da burbs.


I'm good with that! Means I have 1/2 hour less of driving to do!

cjsiege & CpprCr8: A girl & a car, living the w.w dream!

jwhite6114


quality posts: 119 Private Messages jwhite6114
CpprCr8 wrote:I'm good with that! Means I have 1/2 hour less of driving to do!



'Burbs is good for me, too (as long as it ain't that awful Tom Hanks movie). But if 4/25 doesn't work for our traveling friends, does 4/18 work better for everyone?

Edit: Hmmm ... 4/18 looks like we lose Loweeel, CJ, and Lasgar, but pick up TCat, OctoCat, and TripGrad.

CT | | | | | |

nabrunk


quality posts: 0 Private Messages nabrunk
InShadows wrote:Fine by me. My friends will be upset, but meh their loss.

I can always host, if you don't mind slugging out to da burbs. Sleeping arrangements can always be negotiated.



Where are the 'burbs' by your reckoning? I'm a 'burb dweller myself (ugh, Manassas) so closer (to me) is better (for me)!

Did I mention that it's not all about me?

"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars." ~ Oscar Wilde

nabrunk


quality posts: 0 Private Messages nabrunk
darlenee1 wrote:She told me she had fun! I look forward to attending one of y'alls tastings with her in the future



Hi Dar! Tricksy, ain't I? I did have fun at the woot, and hope to make another soon!

"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars." ~ Oscar Wilde

InShadows


quality posts: 1 Private Messages InShadows
nabrunk wrote:Where are the 'burbs' by your reckoning? I'm a 'burb dweller myself (ugh, Manassas) so closer (to me) is better (for me)!

Did I mention that it's not all about me?



The 'burbs are Woodbridge.. aka Hoodbridge aka Ikeaville aka Potomacville...

CT
“Every time you think something or someone is stupid, it just means there is another thing in this world you don’t understand.” - In memory of Robert, 1975-2009
If you make a man a fire, he'll be warm for a night. If you set him on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Past NoVA Gatherings

fairnymph


quality posts: 55 Private Messages fairnymph

I know I can do 4/25 and 5/2; I could probably do 4/18 though it'd be annoying. It'd be cool to meet the out-of-towners who can make that date, so that would persuade me....

I could also do 4/5 or 4/11 though I'll be observing Passover (sephardic-style) dietary restrictions on the latter date - I know I'll be town in early April to help my friend remodel the apartment she just bought (downtown, much closer to y'all!).

My Cellar * Read my ramblings on LiveJournal.

79 wine.woots, 42 shirt.woots, 18 woots, 3 sellout.woots, 1 kids.woot

"I like my Sirah like I like my women: young, Petite and inky." - Thralow on CT

tripgrad


quality posts: 3 Private Messages tripgrad

Israeli wine tasting - March 10, 2009
This class will introduce you to a variety of styles from wineries
throughout Israel. Though a small country, the growing
conditions are diverse! We will have 2 whites, 2 reds and a dessert
wine. Three cheeses, two typical of the region, will be paired with
each style.
Our guest lecturer, Jay Caplan, has lectured often on Israeli wines.
The wines were selected to show the quality as well as variety that is
currently being produced.
Cost is $20 cash.

R.I.P.
WINE.W00T NOV 4, 2012