themostrighteous

quality posts: 12 Private Messages themostrighteous

THEME: Meet the Incomparable pbear at Salpicón!!!
DATE & TIME: Wednesday, April 29, 2009 at 6 PM
PLACE: Salpicón
HOST: everybody! :P

ATTENDEES:
- tmr
- pbear
- pbear cousin #1
- pbear cousin #2
- ms. laura
- joel
- baniak
- zorandra
- crusaderbunny

WARNING: for those of you who are planning to attend, please note that i had to supply my CC to guarantee this reservation, and (this is the important part) please further note that i will be charged a $25 cancellation fee PER PERSON should i cancel or make any changes to the reservation after 2 PM on the date of the reservation. which is my very polite way of saying that, should you be unable to make it AND neglect to notify me by the morning of April 29, i will expect you to cover your $25 should the restaurant charge me the same. we be cool???

EDIT: and, just to be clear, I AM PUMPED ABOUT THIS!!! :D

do you know... what biodynamics is?

lauratchi

quality posts: 5 Private Messages lauratchi

I'm in on this one! And the timing is perfect. Woo hoo.

Little Vineyards Trio began the slow start to the slippery slope. it was alllllllllll downhill from there!

hld1970

quality posts: 16 Private Messages hld1970

Sounds good. So many places to choose...hmmm.

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22

If it helps narrow things down, I will be at the Sheraton on East North Water Street. (Somewhere downtown, right?)

Looking forward to getting together with some Windy City Wooters.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98

But! But! Oh, wait I'll be meeting pbear in Buffalo the weekend before

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

lauratchi

polarbear22 wrote:If it helps narrow things down, I will be at the Sheraton on East North Water Street. (Somewhere downtown, right?)

Looking forward to getting together with some Windy City Wooters.

I love some of the street names. East North Water Street. Don't type that one in your GPS wrong or you'll be in the river. Or the lake.

Little Vineyards Trio began the slow start to the slippery slope. it was alllllllllll downhill from there!

polarbear22

lauratchi wrote:I love some of the street names. East North Water Street. Don't type that one in your GPS wrong or you'll be in the river. Or the lake.

Really. Nice to use shuttle or taxi. Which, by the way, I do not plan to have a car. Will be using public transportation/taxi.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
My Cellar

lauratchi

polarbear22 wrote:Really. Nice to use shuttle or taxi. Which, by the way, I do not plan to have a car. Will be using public transportation/taxi.

Smart for downtown stuffs. Especially since the hotels charge big bucks to park.

zorandra

quality posts: 5 Private Messages zorandra

For those that may have never used it the Reader Restaurant Guide is a handy little tool. You can locate a restaurant not only by what you may be craving, but also by location, price, and amenities (BYOB?). In this case I do believe the public building of Tribune Tower might be the closest physical landmark to where said polarbear is staying. Though will it be cold enough in Chicago in April for one?! ;)

If you have any questions while using it let me know and I will see if I can help. I am the most indecisive person when it comes to food (I want to eat everything) so tools like this are my favourites.

I don't want the world, I just want your half. - TMBG, "Ana Ng"
CT (working on it)

polarbear22

zorandra wrote:For those that may have never used it the Reader Restaurant Guide is a handy little tool. You can locate a restaurant not only by what you may be craving, but also by location, price, and amenities (BYOB?). In this case I do believe the public building of Tribune Tower might be the closest physical landmark to where said polarbear is staying. Though will it be cold enough in Chicago in April for one?! ;)

If you have any questions while using it let me know and I will see if I can help. I am the most indecisive person when it comes to food (I want to eat everything) so tools like this are my favourites.

Thanks. I am an omnivore, so I can't narrow down by cuisine. More about what is convenient for all of us to get to.

My Cellar

hld1970

quality posts: 16 Private Messages hld1970
zorandra wrote: might be the closest physical landmark to where said polarbear is staying. Though will it be cold enough in Chicago in April for one?! ;)

Well, as a fan of Lost, if there is one on that island then there can be one here in April.

joekerjr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages joekerjr
zorandra wrote: Though will it be cold enough in Chicago in April for one?!

You really have to ask that question? I've been to opening days at Wrigley when it snowed. In fact, it was opening day only because the real opening day was supposed to happen the day before but got snowed out.

Besides, don't we have a Polar Bear Club here?

Imagine4vr

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Imagine4vr
joekerjr wrote:You really have to ask that question? I've been to opening days at Wrigley when it snowed. In fact, it was opening day only because the real opening day was supposed to happen the day before but got snowed out.

Besides, don't we have a Polar Bear Club here?

pm for you.

polarbear22

My flight gets in about 4:00 on the 29th. So I should have time to get to the hotel and then meet you all somewhere.

Looking forward to it. I am planning to be in Buffalo on the 25th, so I will get a large dose of wine.woot comraderie in five days.

My Cellar

themostrighteous

polarbear22 wrote:My flight gets in about 4:00 on the 29th. So I should have time to get to the hotel and then meet you all somewhere.

Looking forward to it. I am planning to be in Buffalo on the 25th, so I will get a large dose of wine.woot comraderie in five days.

gee, why don't you go to Minneapolis afterwards & make it an ice town trifecta while you're at it, knowwhatimsayin'?!? :P

looking forward to seeing you again. and please wear the flaming cycling socks. you just wouldn't be the same without them! :D

polarbear22

themostrighteous wrote:gee, why don't you go to Minneapolis afterwards & make it an ice town trifecta while you're at it, knowwhatimsayin'?!? :P

looking forward to seeing you again. and please wear the flaming cycling socks. you just wouldn't be the same without them! :D

Not Mpls. St. Paul, dat's da hometown. So Chicago will be downright balmy.

Flaming socks. Got it.

My Cellar

polarbear22

Bumping back up.

My Cellar

crusaderRabbit

quality posts: 0 Private Messages crusaderRabbit
polarbear22 wrote:Bumping back up.

This sounds fabulous. Calendar is marked.

I'm afraid that I can't be help selecting a place. I, too, am a true omnivore. And I don't know downtown. And I'm rather eccentric in my eating selection so no one else is likely to want to eat what I might suggest.

Wine and Sailing: mother nature's conversation with man.

themostrighteous

crusaderRabbit wrote:This sounds fabulous. Calendar is marked.

I'm afraid that I can't be help selecting a place. I, too, am a true omnivore. And I don't know downtown. And I'm rather eccentric in my eating selection so no one else is likely to want to eat what I might suggest.

here is what i would suggest dinner-wise: if there is a particular type of cuisine that pbear is fond of that is NOT readily accessible to him at home, then speak up / let's do that. if pbear has no preference AND we are prepared to go to a mid-priced restaurant, then i would suggest Salpicon. Priscilla Satkoff is an award-winning chef, her husband is an award-winning sommelier, and together they've put together what has got to be one of the few haute cuisine Mexican restaurants with a cellar to die for. plus, if we are not in a wine-y mood, they have KILLER margaritas with a selection of tequilas the likes of which you have not likely seen before. just sayin'.

polarbear22

themostrighteous wrote:here is what i would suggest dinner-wise: if there is a particular type of cuisine that pbear is fond of that is NOT readily accessible to him at home, then speak up / let's do that. if pbear has no preference AND we are prepared to go to a mid-priced restaurant, then i would suggest Salpicon. Priscilla Satkoff is an award-winning chef, her husband is an award-winning sommelier, and together they've put together what has got to be one of the few haute cuisine Mexican restaurants with a cellar to die for. plus, if we are not in a wine-y mood, they have KILLER margaritas with a selection of tequilas the likes of which you have not likely seen before. just sayin'.

That looks great!! Mexican restaurants here are decent, nothing real good. And only 1.5 miles from the hotel. Good distance to walk off dinner. Problem will be ine or tequila. They have all my favorite tequilas, and many, many more.

My Cellar

themostrighteous

polarbear22 wrote:That looks great!! Mexican restaurants here are decent, nothing real good. And only 1.5 miles from the hotel. Good distance to walk off dinner. Problem will be ine or tequila. They have all my favorite tequilas, and many, many more.

Chicago is blessed with some of the best Mexican restaurants in the US. (Rick Bayless' Topolobampo is another favorite & real close to your hotel as well though more of a "fine" dining experience.) the fact that we have the largest Mexican population outside of LA certainly helps!

as for drink selection, my dearest pbear, 'twon't be a problem at all. you are the guest of honor. if you want tequila, then tequila 'twill be - they have a broad selection of wines by the glass for those who want their wine fix.

so who is in at this point? we will need to make a reservation for groups larger than 6 at least 2-4 weeks in advance. though in this economic environment i have found that i can get a reservation just about anywhere at a moment's notice.

polarbear22

themostrighteous wrote:
as for drink selection, my dearest pbear, 'twon't be a problem at all. you are the guest of honor. if you want tequila, then tequila 'twill be - they have a broad selection of wines by the glass for those who want their wine fix.

Oh, main beverage will be wine. That is what will have brought us together. Maybe one tequilla to end the night. I don't have to speak until Friday AM.

I am now looking forward to the food in addition to the company. Only 6 weeks away.

My Cellar

lauratchi

polarbear22 wrote:Oh, main beverage will be wine. That is what will have brought us together. Maybe one tequilla to end the night. I don't have to speak until Friday AM.

I am now looking forward to the food in addition to the company. Only 6 weeks away.

Can't wait! We're in for sure!

tommythecat78

quality posts: 18 Private Messages tommythecat78

Count me in!!

___________________________________________________________________________________________
My Cellar (has not been updated in forever)
Do the people want fire that can be applied nasally? -Golgafrinchan Marketing Consultant

crusaderRabbit

quality posts: 0 Private Messages crusaderRabbit
tommythecat78 wrote:Count me in!!

Count me in!!

Wine and Sailing: mother nature's conversation with man.

polarbear22

TMR - when do you need a final head count? I have one or two of my cousins (Chicago denizens) that may join us? At least one for sure.

One is the cousin that I am traveling with to see her brother in Nairobi.

My Cellar

themostrighteous

polarbear22 wrote:TMR - when do you need a final head count? I have one or two of my cousins (Chicago denizens) that may join us? At least one for sure.

One is the cousin that I am traveling with to see her brother in Nairobi.

just saw this. (been away from the boards.) i just made a reservation at Salpicón for Wednesday, April 29 at 6 PM for a party of 8 people (you + 2 cousins, me, laura + hubby, tommy le chat & crusaderbunny). if anybody else wants to join us, speak up soon, else i might not be able to add you to the reservation.

WARNING: for those of you who are planning to attend, please note that i had to supply my CC to guarantee this reservation, and (this is the important part) please further note that i will be charged a $25 cancellation fee PER PERSON should i cancel or make any changes to the reservation after 2 PM on the date of the reservation. which is my very polite way of saying that, should you be unable to make it AND neglect to notify me by the morning of April 29, i will expect you to cover your $25 should the restaurant charge me the same. we be cool???

polarbear22

themostrighteous wrote:just saw this. (been away from the boards.) i just made a reservation at Salpicón for Wednesday, April 29 at 6 PM for a party of 8 people (you + 2 cousins, me, laura + hubby, tommy le chat & crusaderbunny). if anybody else wants to join us, speak up soon, else i might not be able to add you to the reservation.

Thanks TMR. I have to finalize confirmation with my second cousin. But I am responsible for them.

And just five weeks away.

My Cellar

zorandra

quality posts: 5 Private Messages zorandra

Always one for meeting new wine wooters, not to mention trying new food stuffs (Salpicon looks very chi-chi!) - sadly I think my prof will expect me in class that night. b00! Will make sure Layne sees this thread though as he works not too far from there and I am sure he would like to get together with you all.

Have a margarita for me.

I don't want the world, I just want your half. - TMBG, "Ana Ng"
CT (working on it)

baniak

quality posts: 0 Private Messages baniak

I would love to join you all, especially since I will be drinking for both zorandra and myself.

baniak

quality posts: 0 Private Messages baniak
baniak wrote:I would love to join you all, especially since I will be drinking for both zorandra and myself.

so, yeah... count me in!

tommythecat78

quality posts: 18 Private Messages tommythecat78
themostrighteous wrote:just saw this. (been away from the boards.) i just made a reservation at Salpicón for Wednesday, April 29 at 6 PM for a party of 8 people (you + 2 cousins, me, laura + hubby, tommy le chat & crusaderbunny). if anybody else wants to join us, speak up soon, else i might not be able to add you to the reservation.

Everything be cool. And ditto on the pumped part!!

___________________________________________________________________________________________
My Cellar (has not been updated in forever)
Do the people want fire that can be applied nasally? -Golgafrinchan Marketing Consultant

lauratchi

I am confuzzled. Is this for the tasting menu? Or just a link to the regular menu?

ianchudson

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ianchudson

Do you have room for 2 more? I should be back from Italy by then.

themostrighteous

lauratchi wrote:I am confuzzled. Is this for the tasting menu? Or just a link to the regular menu?

not sure what you are referring to...

themostrighteous

baniak wrote:so, yeah... count me in!

ok...

themostrighteous

ianchudson wrote:Do you have room for 2 more? I should be back from Italy by then.

'should' be? i need a little more certainty than that. please (re)confirm.

polarbear22

TMR - thanks again for coordinating this. Can't wait.

When do you need a final count?

My Cellar

themostrighteous

polarbear22 wrote:When do you need a final count?

my apologies for not responding directly (the answer is implied in the WARNING above), but let's say Monday 4/27. subject, of course, to the disclaimer that the restaurant may not be able to accommodate an INCREASE in the reservation at that point. as of this moment, i have increased the reservation to 12, given the following tentative attendee list:

tmr
pbear
pbear cousin #1
pbear cousin #2
ms. laura
joel
tommy le chat
crusaderbunny
baniak
ian (tentative)
ian's SO (tentative)
TBD

i will call the restaurant come Monday 4/27 to 'right-size' the reservation accordingly.

polarbear22

themostrighteous wrote:my apologies for not responding directly (the answer is implied in the WARNING above), but let's say Monday 4/27. subject, of course, to the disclaimer that the restaurant may not be able to accommodate an INCREASE in the reservation at that point. as of this moment, i have increased the reservation to 12, given the following tentative attendee list:

tmr
pbear
pbear cousin #1
pbear cousin #2
ms. laura
joel
tommy le chat
crusaderbunny
baniak
ian (tentative)
ian's SO (tentative)
TBD

i will call the restaurant come Monday 4/27 to 'right-size' the reservation accordingly.

Again, muchas gracias.

My Cellar