*exlaxer?
*markbodzin?
*jcastagno?
*Truelyscrumptious?
*TPABDEVIL?

CT

acohen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages acohen
bkarney wrote:It's our turn to join in on the fun! Due to interest being expressed in the main thread I thought we should start knocking around some ideas. I'm pretty flexible on dates and can host if need be.

Date: TBD

Place: Fort Lauderdale/Miami/Palm Beaches and the surrounding areas

Attendees:
*bkarney +1

Theme: TBD

Wines: TBD

Food: TBD

I would certainly be interested and I am in the Boca/FLL area. Let's throw a date up and try to get some critical mass.

bardolator

quality posts: 3 Private Messages bardolator

Dangit, we need something in Tampa! I headed over here all excited that there was going to be a South Florida shindig...only to discover that it was, y'know, SOUTH South Florida. XD

(My best friend's husband is more conversant with fine wines than I am; if you're reading this, Paul, give me a ring; I think we need to start our own!)

ERMD

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ERMD

You know guys, if we do it central ie Orlando we could pull n florida south Fla and Tampa.

bkarney

quality posts: 5 Private Messages bkarney
ERMD wrote:You know guys, if we do it central ie Orlando we could pull n florida south Fla and Tampa.

I'm game as I would probably make a weekend out of it. Plus, maybe some of the GA/Jax folks can join us if it is more centrally located. Basically, as long as I don't need to fly to get there I'm in!

CT

yathink2

quality posts: 4 Private Messages yathink2
bkarney wrote:I'm game as I would probably make a weekend out of it. Plus, maybe some of the GA/Jax folks can join us if it is more centrally located. Basically, as long as I don't need to fly to get there I'm in!

I would be interested. It would take some work to pull it off, because I have teenagers. But not impossible.

wendy98765

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wendy98765

I might be interested in SE Florida, depending on where.

babalooo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages babalooo

I'm in Ft. Lauderdale....if it's a S. FL event, I may be interested.

dr_zarkoff2

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dr_zarkoff2

This is Fort Myers checking in. I'm game.

platanutre

quality posts: 1 Private Messages platanutre

Anywhere in between Tampa and Orlando (hometown) you can count me in as well.

ERMD

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ERMD

I'm interested but kinda busy. March 23-30 in Paso/Santa Barbara area. April 25 Tampa and Jimmy Buffett

WilfBrim

quality posts: 18 Private Messages WilfBrim

Me, me me me me me!!!!!

I just moved from NorthWest FL (Penscola) to Homestead. Count me in.

I just moved into this house, and whist unpacking looked around and though: "Wow. This would be a great place for a wine.woot.com meet up and drukfest". So I'm offering my place.

yathink2

quality posts: 4 Private Messages yathink2

looks like you have enough to pull off a South Florida thing... Maybe somebody needs to set up a central FL thing.... I would be interested in that. Got kids, South FL is kinda out of the question. But, hey never say never...

Best to all... Its worth it.

nvaine

quality posts: 63 Private Messages nvaine

Has anybody mentioned that Naples, FL, is beautiful this time of year?

(This time of year is anywhere from January through December.)

It's midway for the Tampa to Miami folks, too.

chefjess

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chefjess

I'm actually in St Louis and we don't have a group, but was able to join the Southern Cal folks in Vegas last year. I will be in Jupiter/Juno Beach area March 19-24 so if this is scheduled for that time, I may be game.

exlaxer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages exlaxer
ERMD wrote:You know guys, if we do it central ie Orlando we could pull n florida south Fla and Tampa.

I'm also in if something comes together for a central Fladah gathering of wine.woot.wineaux.

I hope you can sleep at night knowing that you just made me buy 3.

kbiehl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kbiehl

I am in Delray Beach. I would definitely be in for a SE Florida wine tasting..

markbodzin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages markbodzin

I live in Ft. Lauderdale, work in Boca, and am happy to travel.

bkarney

well it certainly sounds that we have critical mass for one, maybe two gatherings. I've seen enough interest expressed in the tri-county area alone for a gathering and probably enough for a central Tampa/Orlando gathering. ERMD, et al, you guys wanna split these up?

CT

jcastagno

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jcastagno

I'm central / gulf coast... Tampa area so anything within a reasonable driving distance works for me be it orlando to the east or sarasota to the south

Truelyscrumptious

quality posts: 12 Private Messages Truelyscrumptious

I'm interested! I'm in the St. Pete area but I'm alright with Orlando, Miami, Naples, or Homestead.

I really hope something happens with this. It appears to be fizzling out

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98

Hey Floridians! Good to see there's so much expressed interest over here, but it looks like y'all need someone to just take up the reins and run with it.

You want to get something going? Someone step up and just simply START it. Just asking around for who's interested isn't going to do it. Toss out a region - if you feel like there needs to be multiples, then multiple people need to step up. Throw out a couple dates - don't actually rely on saying "so who can think of a good time" because you'll get a hundred different dates. Don't let that discourage you - try first for picking a month and tossing up the dates of the weekends, and see who is available. Then do it!

Don't let it fizzle out!

And remember, some of us are crazy and love to see these things get started and hit the ground running, so we travel in from everywhere. Y'know... I've never been to Florida...

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

Truelyscrumptious

quality posts: 12 Private Messages Truelyscrumptious

Yup, fizzled out

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22

And my daughter will be in West Palm Beach from June 1 to end of August, so I may be able to join you all.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

TPABDEVIL

quality posts: 1 Private Messages TPABDEVIL

Alright, Im moving next month (June) so let me get settled in and we will figure it out...

bardolator

Tampa would be great for me (I'm in Wesley Chapel). bkarney suggested an all-Wellington tasting. I have one each of the 2007 Roussanne and the Marsanne to offer (or various other w.w offerings if we decide to open it up to non-Wellington wines).

I'll start looking around for a venue; school will be out in two weeks so I'll have time to work on this. Might be out of state during July.

If we can get something regular going, I'd love to see an occasional wine swap (I'd trade a bottle of one offering for one from another, etc.) and/or a contact list for sharing orders.

bkarney

Sounds like July may be a good time. How bout 11th or the 18th of July? The thought of an all Wellington (with perhaps a special exception or two) tasting sounds delicious! I make an amazing Roquefort cheese moose filled Belgian Endive.... really, it's quite good. Cheron, I know you don't like the stinkier cheeses but it's worth the trip....and bring that Epiphany PS with you nudge nudge

Edit: Just saw your post bardolator...

How about: setting up one in SE FL (Tri-county area) AND one on the west coast! SE FL in July, West Coast sometime early August

CT

cheron98

bkarney wrote:Sounds like July may be a good time. How bout 11th or the 18th of July? The thought of an all Wellington (with perhaps a special exception or two) tasting sounds delicious! I make an amazing Roquefort cheese moose filled Belgian Endive.... really, it's quite good. Cheron, I know you don't like the stinkier cheeses but it's worth the trip....and bring that Epiphany PS with you nudge nudge

Edit: Just saw your post bardolator...

How about: setting up one in SE FL (Tri-county area) AND one on the west coast! SE FL in July, West Coast sometime early August

It's not "stinky" I don't like, it's "blue". And unfortunately I would not be able to attend in July, what with NYC on the 18th and family arriving sometime in there. But I'll get down there eventually. Who knows, I may be sitting at home on a Friday night and go "Gee, what am I gonna do this weekend" and book a last minute vacation package to Florida

bardolator

How about sometime in August, then? I'll have to be back to teach school, and I'm sure we would all love to meet cheron. ;)

cjsiege

quality posts: 13 Private Messages cjsiege

Suggest that you all update the title and the first post to reflect aiming for July or August. This will highlight progress on setting a date. Thanks!

cheron98

bardolator wrote:How about sometime in August, then? I'll have to be back to teach school, and I'm sure we would all love to meet cheron. ;)

Gosh, I feel like a rock star or something

Dallas folks were all "I got to meet the famous cheron!" and you're all excited to meet me, and I'm just thinking "I just talk a lot..."

bkarney

cheron98 wrote:Gosh, I feel like a rock star or something

Dallas folks were all "I got to meet the famous cheron!" and you're all excited to meet me, and I'm just thinking "I just talk a lot..."

haha, you get your butt down here, we'll find you a place to crash. I have a roommate in the guest room right now, but I expect that he'll be out of there way before you make it down

CT

cheron98

bkarney wrote:haha, you get your butt down here, we'll find you a place to crash. I have a roommate in the guest room right now, but I expect that he'll be out of there way before you make it down

It's a shame you're not closer to Orlando. I can get an awesome room rate at a newish resort there for like $105/night for a villa that sleeps like 8.

bkarney

cheron98 wrote:It's a shame you're not closer to Orlando. I can get an awesome room rate at a newish resort there for like $105/night for a villa that sleeps like 8.

you can get steals down here as well, especially at the resorts (ie: Harbor Beach Marriott and W - both places are sick!). They would rather rent the room for next to nothing than have it sit unoccupied. The walk-up rate is usually particularly good, especially if it's not in the middle of the season. I fully expect that my roomie will be out by the end of June, if not sooner.

CT

bkarney

cheron98 wrote:Gosh, I feel like a rock star or something

and if there is ever a question as to why..... allow me to present Exhibit "A".
x-post

eric9tx wrote:*snip*

Cheron is a snuggling nut case. When we told her Friday evening that we gave up on trying to get to Cincy and resigned ourselves to a "vacation" in Dallas, she changed her plans, too. Saturday morning, we picked her up at DFW. I mean, seriously, who does that???

We drank, ate, drank, shopped, and drank some more. In spite of being a self-proclaimed lightweight, she certainly gave it her best shot. Met up with some Dallas wooters for a fun tasting event, including 16 wines, tons of food, and some freebie gifts and a bottle of wine at the end. We also subjected her to Cork multiple times, which was her undoing on Saturday night. (Sorry, dear.) At least she also got the opportunity to experience a mall with two personal shopping assistants. Dinner with woot-folk Sat night was a blast, and we ate at a very nice Dallas steakhouse Sunday night. We got some odd looks walking in with 3 bottles (apparently no one had ever brought their own before) but soon the restaurant staff loved us.

Thanks, cheron, for the awesome time!!!

It's cause you kick-ass, duh!

CT

cheron98

bkarney wrote:It's cause you kick-ass, duh!

TPABDEVIL

quality posts: 1 Private Messages TPABDEVIL

Im open for Tampa or Orlando as I am almost dead center between them. Date doesnt really matter for me so much.. although i am ashamed to admit to not having any Wellington... Ill have to dig something comparable out of my Woot Wine Cellar (a huge stack of boxes!!). My wifey works the school system also, so i think they start back in 2nd week of August, but shouldnt be an impediment...

bkarney

*bump*

How is everyone's availability for August 1st or 8th.... any takers? Let's do this thang folks!

CT

Aslansmom

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Aslansmom

I would definitely be interested!! Either date would be fine with me!

wendy98765

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wendy98765

Did we pick a place yet?