HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42

Just realized that I never started up the next thread which would be for the February/March tasting. So here it is. Start discussing folx.

THEME:Multiple Course Dinner & Wine Pairing Party

DATE: February, 28th
HOSTS: Krugsters & Shamer
TIME: The entire day and overnight

ATTENDEES LIST (so far):
1. Krugsters
2. Shamer
3. Cesare
4. Kttest
5. HitAnyKey
6. HitAnyKey+1
7. Thatguy
8. ThatGirl
9. Canonizer
10. Canonizer+1

THE DINNER & PAIRINGS:
1. Appetizer course: kttest/Cesare - a Pheasant Pate
paired w/ N.V. Mumm Napa Brut Rosé by HAK

2. Salad course: HitAnyKey/+1 - Spinach (and possibly Butter Leaf) Salad w/ Cranberries, Toasted Almonds, Pointe Reyes Blue Cheese, etc
paired w/ white wine (possibly a Buena Vista Chard) by Cesare

3. Soup course: thatguy - White Bean & Squash soup w/ thick cut bacon
paired w/ a Northern Rhone Syrah

4. Main course: Shamer/Krugsters - Prime Rib Steaks
paired w/ 2004 Woot Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon Monkey Prize by HAK
Side dish: ThatGirl - Polenta with Mushroom Medley

5. Dessert or cheese course: cannonizer/+1 - Mystery dish/wine (ie. not yet decided)

Accommodations within the house are now full, so anyone else wishing to attend would need to make other arrangements.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

HitAnyKey42

Any date that is Feb 21st or later currently works fine for me.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

Krugsters

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Krugsters

For next theme I think we should focus on a region in France.
Like the Rhone.
Or the Loire Valley.
Or Bordeaux.
Or perhaps Burgundy.

All of these, IMHO, should be tackled individually with the Rhone ideally split into Northern and Southern.

fdiaz01

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fdiaz01
Krugsters wrote:For next theme I think we should focus on a region in France.
Like the Rhone.
Or the Loire Valley.
Or Bordeaux.
Or perhaps Burgundy.

All of these, IMHO, should be tackled individually with the Rhone ideally split into Northern and Southern.

i vote for the Rhone!!!!

kttest

quality posts: 2 Private Messages kttest
fdiaz01 wrote:i vote for the Rhone!!!!

2/21 doesn't work for us.

- Krista
"Wine is the most civilized thing in the world." -Ernest Hemingway.
NYC Tastings Summary courtesy of HAK

Krugsters

fdiaz01 wrote:i vote for the Rhone!!!!

Me too. One of my favorite regions.
Northern or Southern?

HitAnyKey42

Krugsters wrote:Me too. One of my favorite regions.
Northern or Southern?

Well if we do the Rhone, according to my CT I have a couple choices though a few of them look to be el'cheapo's. But I got one that I could bring if I don't pick up anything else before then. And GV, Thatguy, & iByron all liked this one, so it should be a good choice. It's a Southern one.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

Krugsters

kttest wrote:2/21 doesn't work for us.

How about the 28th?

Krugsters

HitAnyKey42 wrote:Well if we do the Rhone, according to my CT I have a couple choices though a few of them look to be el'cheapo's. But I got one that I could bring if I don't pick up anything else before then. And GV, Thatguy, & iByron all liked this one, so it should be a good choice. No idea if it's Northern or Southern though, as CT doesn't seem to differentiate.

It's a southern Rhone.

HitAnyKey42

Krugsters wrote:It's a southern Rhone.

Bah! You beat me to my edit after I actually took a moment to read it (work got in the way the first time).

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

kttest

Krugsters wrote:How about the 28th?

I think that works for us.

- Krista

Krugsters

I might bring a Tavel. Yummy. Or a CNdP.

Areas to cover:
* Côtes du Vivarais
* Côtes du Rhône
* Côtes du Rhône Villages
* Côtes du Rhône Villages (specified villages)
* Côteaux du Tricastin
* Châteauneuf-du-Pape
* Vacqueyras
* Rasteau
* Gigondas
* Beaumes-de-Venise
* Tavel
we should have a good mix of red & whites from this region.

HitAnyKey42

Krugsters wrote:How about the 28th?

As far as I know 28th works for me too.
Should we give Kathy a break and have someone else host this one? I'm sure Cesare/kttest will probably volunteer, but do we have anyone else out there capable/want to host? I'm always up for it, but all attendees need to remember/realize how far it is to travel out to me.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

Krugsters

HitAnyKey42 wrote:As far as I know 28th works for me too.
Should we give Kathy a break and have someone else host this one? I'm sure Cesare/kttest will probably volunteer, but do we have anyone else out there capable/want to host? I'm always up for it, but all attendees need to remember/realize how far it is to travel out to me.

Here's a thought for something different...If enough people are interested we'd be willing to host an evening (or day) at our house in the Catskills. A get-away from city life.
We can sleep 3 couples (or individuals). For those who might want privacy over the weekend there are plenty of affordable places to stay in Windham. I can provide more info if needed.
There's skiing, snow tubing, snowmobiling and hiking 5 minutes from the house.
Thoughts?

kttest

Krugsters wrote:Here's a thought for something different...If enough people are interested we'd be willing to host an evening (or day) at our house in the Catskills. A get-away from city life.
We can sleep 3 couples (or individuals). For those who might want privacy over the weekend there are plenty of affordable places to stay in Windham. I can provide more info if needed.
Thoughts?

That sounds like fun.

- Krista

Krugsters

kttest wrote:That sounds like fun.

So that's one couple...perhaps...
Anyone else?

HitAnyKey42

Krugsters wrote:So that's one couple...perhaps...
Anyone else?

I'm not sure. It does sound like fun, but not sure if it's something I can swing right now, especially since it would be just a month after the big expense of my cruise.
Plus it'd be more fun if I were actually a part of a couple.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

Krugsters

HitAnyKey42 wrote:I'm not sure. It does sound like fun, but not sure if it's something I can swing right now, especially since it would be just a month after the big expense of my cruise.
Plus it'd be more fun if I were actually a part of a couple.

Well, if you stay at the house, it's free. Just the gas $$ to get up there.

thatguy314

quality posts: 7 Private Messages thatguy314

What ever happened to Greek wines? That going to be the next one?

cjsiege

quality posts: 13 Private Messages cjsiege
thatguy314 wrote:What ever happened to Greek wines? That going to be the next one?

Greek wine??? As in "this tasting might also include wine from Crete"? Hmmm. That might be inducement enough to get me to come up! Cuz I've got a real favorite wine from Crete.

Krugsters

cjsiege wrote:Greek wine??? As in "this tasting might also include wine from Crete"? Hmmm. That might be inducement enough to get me to come up! Cuz I've got a real favorite wine from Crete.

I think Greece was slated for the Ides of March tasting.

thatguy314

Krugsters wrote:I think Greece was slated for the Ides of March tasting.

Ah. Jorel, master of scheduling doesn't CC me on these dates. March it is.

So February = valentines day, so perhaps it should be "high alcohol wines that don't taste high alcohol so as to make to make your date more pliable"

any takers?

Krugsters

thatguy314 wrote:

So February = valentines day, so perhaps it should be "high alcohol wines that don't taste high alcohol so as to make to make your date more pliable"

any takers?

How do you think I met my now husband?

kttest

thatguy314 wrote:Ah. Jorel, master of scheduling doesn't CC me on these dates. March it is.

any takers?

Krugsters wrote:How do you think I met my now husband?

HAHAHA

- Krista

canonizer

quality posts: 22 Private Messages canonizer
Krugsters wrote:Here's a thought for something different...If enough people are interested we'd be willing to host an evening (or day) at our house in the Catskills. A get-away from city life.
Thoughts?

Krugsters, that an amazing offer. I would really be interested in taking you up on it provided enough people are ready to make the trip.

signed.

thatguy314

canonizer wrote:Krugsters, that an amazing offer. I would really be interested in taking you up on it provided enough people are ready to make the trip.

Ditto. That would be fantastic.

Is there still a lot of snow in March?

Krugsters

We could host the February (Rhone) tasting for those interested in snow sports.

If 2 guys don't mind sharing a bedroom (or sleeping on the couch) we have in the house:

2. Cesare & Kttest
3. ThatGuy and possibly That Girl
3. Cannonizer
4. HAK???

If this is the list the house accommodations are full.

canonizer

Krugsters wrote:We could host the February (Rhone) tasting for those interested in snow sports.

If 2 guys don't mind sharing a bedroom (or sleeping on the couch) we have in the house:

2. Cesare & Kttest
3. ThatGuy and possibly That Girl
3. Cannonizer
4. HAK???

If this is the list the house accommodations are full.

I wouldn't mind asking if Lilit would like to come with me ;), but I certainly don't mind sharing a bedroom with a dude.

signed.

Krugsters

canonizer wrote:I wouldn't mind asking if Lilit would like to come with me ;), but I certainly don't mind sharing a bedroom with a dude.

Lilit is welcome if you don't mind sleeping on a air mattress.

Perhaps HAK doesn't mind the couch?? Or sharing with That Guy if That Girl doesn't go??

HitAnyKey42

Krugsters wrote:Lilit is welcome if you don't mind sleeping on a air mattress.

Perhaps HAK doesn't mind the couch?? Or sharing with That Guy if That Girl doesn't go??

So I'm more than 90% convinced that I'll make the trip for this one. Though if possible, some of us should try to arrange carpooling.

As for where I sleep...totally doesn't matter as long as I'm "mostly" comfortable. Privacy don't matter to me either. I can just as easily sleep on an aerobed in the middle of the livingroom.
My qualms of the "expense" was more related to the other activities sucking up my funds so soon after dropping quite a bundle on the upcoming cruise. But with Cesare/Kttest, Thatguy(and probably Thatgirl), and Cannonizer & Lilit going....I just won't be able to resist also joining the party.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

Krugsters

HitAnyKey42 wrote:So I'm more than 90% convinced that I'll make the trip for this one. Though if possible, some of us should try to arrange carpooling.

As for where I sleep...totally doesn't matter as long as I'm "mostly" comfortable. Privacy don't matter to me either. I can just as easily sleep on an aerobed in the middle of the livingroom.
My qualms of the "expense" was more related to the other activities sucking up my funds so soon after dropping quite a bundle on the upcoming cruise. But with Cesare/Kttest, Thatguy(and probably Thatgirl), and Cannonizer & Lilit going....I just won't be able to resist also joining the party.

Great!! Now the house is full so if anyone else wants to join in for Rhone in the Catskills let me know. There's a gorgeous house rental down the road for which I can send you the link.

thatguy314

So is it rhone or rhone varietals? I think it might be interesting to have one or two examples of rhone grapes grown outside the region and see how they differ. Obviously I don't think any of us need to know what a syrah/shiraz is like out of the rhone, but it might be nice to compare say Marsanne/Roussanne/Viognier or Grenache v. Garnacha, or something along those lines. Again, I think maybe only a bottle or 2 like that, but I think it would be a nice comparison, and a look at terroir.

Krugsters

let's set a date...how about the 28th? Does that work for everyone?

canonizer

thatguy314 wrote:Ditto. That would be fantastic.

Is there still a lot of snow in March?

March is the snowiest month. It's just that the snow quality can be inconsistent with the approaching mud season.

signed.

canonizer

Krugsters wrote:let's set a date...how about the 28th? Does that work for everyone?

Lilit and I are free that weekend.

Thanks for hosting yesterday and henceforth.

I will soon be living here
, which is convenient for pretty much everyone transportation and driving-wise, should we want more locations.

signed.

Krugsters

I think it was decided to hold off on the Rhone tasting for a date/venue that more people can attend.
This is such an important area I agree.

For this tasting it will be bring whatever you want...
Perhaps the Kitchen Sink Tasting??

canonizer

Krugsters wrote:I think it was decided to hold off on the Rhone tasting for a date/venue that more people can attend.
This is such an important area I agree.

For this tasting it will be bring whatever you want...
Perhaps the Kitchen Sink Tasting??

In some respects I felt the dessert wine was the Kitchen Sink Tasting!

I wouldn't mind picking a grape, as Lee offered, and running from there.

I'd say we should do whites, except for that fact that it'll be winter.

We could set a price of ~$25 and see who comes in with the best 'qpr'.

just throwin' ideas out. I'm tempted to get a 'best of woot' tasting, but they're pretty much all so young, hot and bothered.

signed.

ThatGirl214

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ThatGirl214

Hey Guys...I finally joined the Wine.Woot boards. Thanks for the great tasting last night. I am definitely in for the Rhone tasting. Can't wait!

Krugsters

Welcome! Just wondering...why did you choose 214?
That's Valentine's Day...

and why is thatguy 314?

speedoo64

quality posts: 3 Private Messages speedoo64
canonizer wrote:Lilit and I are free that weekend.

Thanks for hosting yesterday and henceforth.

I will soon be living here
, which is convenient for pretty much everyone transportation and driving-wise, should we want more locations.

Excellent! When do you move, and will you have sufficient space to host our usual crew?

That's an area I know pretty well, very convenient access for both driving and subway travel.