themostrighteous

quality posts: 12 Private Messages themostrighteous

THEME: (Non) Port-on-Port: SB's Vertical Goes Head-to-Head w/ KR's Horizontal
DATE & TIME: Friday, October 16 at 7 PM
PLACE: (K)new website / urbandaddy / yelp
HOST: moi of course!
VICTIMS: zorandra + 1, tommythec, burnini + SWMBO, cj, jihadistbunny, joker(jr) + SWMBO

have a 3-pack of SB's port vertical. have a 6-pack of KR's port horizontal. what to do?!? DUH!!! HEAD-TO-HEAD TASTING TIME BABY!!!

the theme is REDUNKULOUSLY straightforward: i contribute the wine, y'all pay for my meal. now THAT is a deal worthy of wine.woot. capice?!? (*)

SO??? WHO'S IN?!? AND WHO'S (INSANE FOR MISSING) OUT?!?

(*) the only caveat here is that i am only going to open a number of bottles that is commensurate with participation. this being (non) Port, i'm thinking at most a 1-to-1 ratio, or something along those lines. so if y'all want to sample all 9 bottles, then y'all better show up, y'hear?!?

do you know... what biodynamics is?

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98

Gonna need a date before committing WAY too much going on! So many tastings, so little liver...

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

Imagine4vr

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Imagine4vr

I love this idea and if it's before Feb 23, (unless you'd like the location to be in AZ) please count me in. I also have a set of the KR Ports depending on the # of people ...

never mind - I'm sure the timing just won't happen.

joekerjr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages joekerjr

OOOOOHHHH man! Great idea! There's no way I can spit a port though, non or not. Gonna need a train.

hld1970

quality posts: 16 Private Messages hld1970

I still have one of the Chateua Souverain ports offered here as well as some others in my cellar. I like this idea. Perhaps we could have it at a fondue place- Geha's. anyone?

themostrighteous

joekerjr wrote:OOOOOHHHH man! Great idea! There's no way I can spit a port though, non or not. Gonna need a train.

yeah, i've been pondering that myself - may have to line up a car service for that evening...

snk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages snk
themostrighteous wrote:yeah, i've been pondering that myself - may have to line up a car service for that evening...

Well the good news is that at least you don't have to finish the bottle that same night. Port should be good for at least a week after opening, no?

themostrighteous

snk wrote:Well the good news is that at least you don't have to finish the bottle that same night. Port should be good for at least a week after opening, no?

if it is good juice, the question is not whether we CAN keep it for a week (or more) but rather whether we WILL allow it to survive the night. my guess is that it will ( be good juice) and that the will not (allow it to survive the night). throw in a good cigar & that outcome is virtually guaranteed! :D

damightyanteater

quality posts: 12 Private Messages damightyanteater
cheron98 wrote:Gonna need a date before committing WAY too much going on! So many tastings, so little liver...

Same here, but I'm very interested as I have developing interest in these wines, but hardly anyone to share it with.

My last 5 woots:
  • Robert Craig Mount Veeder Cabernet Sauvignon x2
  • Woot Cellars Boss Monster Zinfandel Six - Pack
  • Armida Winery Poizin Trio
  • Olivestri Siloro olio nuovo
  • Wellington Vineyard Designate Cabernet Trio

tommythecat78

quality posts: 18 Private Messages tommythecat78

Since I have no port I will provide the cigars for anyone that is so inclined. I can pick up a bottle as well.

___________________________________________________________________________________________
My Cellar (has not been updated in forever)
Do the people want fire that can be applied nasally? -Golgafrinchan Marketing Consultant

burrnini

quality posts: 10 Private Messages burrnini

I've yet to post on wine.woot, but a potential port and cigar tasting is too good to pass up. I'll do my absolute best to be there! and I have a very good bottle of port I've been saving for a reason that eludes me.

zorandra

quality posts: 5 Private Messages zorandra

Sounds good to me. Need a bit more info regarding time and location. But am interested.

I don't want the world, I just want your half. - TMBG, "Ana Ng"
CT (working on it)

aces219

quality posts: 4 Private Messages aces219

I just wanted to pop in and say that I love that this is an orthogonal tasting. Does my math geek heart good. Enjoy!

themostrighteous

aces219 wrote:I just wanted to pop in and say that I love that this is an orthogonal tasting. Does my math geek heart good. Enjoy!

we aim to please! :D

shall we try to pin down a date in March for this y'all?

burrnini

seeing as how i'm the first to post...i'd like to suggest the very last weekend in march. the 27 or 28. it is the only weekend that i am guaranteed to not have to work. and please not the weekend before that...it is probably the worst weekend for me.

Walstib

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Walstib

I'd be happy to offer up a set of the KR ports for consumption. Also have a Wellington white port if there is interest.

We'll be out of town the first weekend of March, but other than that March is good.

cheron98

date?

joekerjr

cheron98 wrote:date?

no thanks; i'm married.

hld1970

quality posts: 16 Private Messages hld1970
joekerjr wrote:no thanks; i'm married.

Nice one, Joe!

lauratchi

quality posts: 5 Private Messages lauratchi
hld1970 wrote:Nice one, Joe!

I confess I guffawed as well.

Little Vineyards Trio began the slow start to the slippery slope. it was alllllllllll downhill from there!

damightyanteater

quality posts: 12 Private Messages damightyanteater

The first or the last weekend in March work best for me.

My last 5 woots:
  • Robert Craig Mount Veeder Cabernet Sauvignon x2
  • Woot Cellars Boss Monster Zinfandel Six - Pack
  • Armida Winery Poizin Trio
  • Olivestri Siloro olio nuovo
  • Wellington Vineyard Designate Cabernet Trio

zorandra

March is coming close - bump!

Trying to plan the calendar for Art Inst visit and other stuff and want to make sure this gets in there.

CT (working on it)

burrnini

it is now march...has anyone picked an official date yet?

crusaderRabbit

quality posts: 0 Private Messages crusaderRabbit

You've got my interest. As I happen to be unemployed at the moment, I don't have restrictions on the date. And I need to get out of this house.

Wine and Sailing: mother nature's conversation with man.

themostrighteous

zorandra wrote:March is coming close - bump!

Trying to plan the calendar for Art Inst visit and other stuff and want to make sure this gets in there.

howdy! i realize that i started this thread, but i just haven't had / will not have the time to play the role of master of ceremonies this time, so i would appreciate if one of you would take over this event. so who is it going to be???

burrnini

since it doesn't look like this event will pan out...i decided to host my own. since it was just me, i had a glass or three of cognac instead of a nice bottle of port and a good los blancos cigar that i picked up from a local cigar shop at a special event they held.

lauratchi

quality posts: 5 Private Messages lauratchi

We are out on this one. I'm not a huge lover of port, so, sorry, no desire to partake and definitely not to host.

Little Vineyards Trio began the slow start to the slippery slope. it was alllllllllll downhill from there!

themostrighteous

themostrighteous wrote:so who is it going to be???

looks like it will be no one... :-(

EDIT: changing the thread title accordingly.

Imagine4vr

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Imagine4vr
themostrighteous wrote:looks like it will be no one... :-(

EDIT: changing the thread title accordingly.

I'd be happy to hostess and plan - if ya'll want to come to AZ

themostrighteous

Imagine4vr wrote:I'd be happy to hostess and plan - if ya'll want to come to AZ

it's all your fault of course: you move to AZ, and the Windy City W.W Crew evaporates! :P

zorandra

Well, after some discussing Layne and I were thinking that we could do it here. We do not have the biggest place but we have the balcony area where folks could smoke cigars if they so wanted. Perhaps if we did it the last weekend in March it would give us the best chance of warm weather?? For no cigar smoking in zee casa. And I am of course saying that knowing that March or July you can never predict the weather in Chicago. However, later in the month will give more time to plan.

And for those wondering we live in Andersonville, far northside near Clark/Foster.

Ideas, comments, whatnot...

CT (working on it)

zorandra

Imagine4vr wrote:I'd be happy to hostess and plan - if ya'll want to come to AZ

Hey you!

CT (working on it)

cheron98

themostrighteous wrote:it's all your fault of course: you move to AZ, and the Windy City W.W Crew evaporates! :P

You can always do what tommy did and switch loyalties to the Detroit crew We'd be happy to have ya!

joekerjr

zorandra wrote:Well, after some discussing Layne and I were thinking that we could do it here. We do not have the biggest place but we have the balcony area where folks could smoke cigars if they so wanted. Perhaps if we did it the last weekend in March it would give us the best chance of warm weather?? For no cigar smoking in zee casa. And I am of course saying that knowing that March or July you can never predict the weather in Chicago. However, later in the month will give more time to plan.

And for those wondering we live in Andersonville, far northside near Clark/Foster.

Ideas, comments, whatnot...

Very gracious of you two. I can't make a March date though. April is good though. Anybody else?

zorandra

joekerjr wrote:Very gracious of you two. I can't make a March date though. April is good though. Anybody else?

Looks like March may not be happening at this point! So sad. The last week in March is still far enough away to make some plans so it is still a possibility...

Right now April is open but due to research project/presentation things might change; with that being said I suppose the last weekend would be best as I would have presented my paper by then.

CT (working on it)

deaconmsa07

quality posts: 0 Private Messages deaconmsa07

Any news on a date? Sounds like fun.

zorandra

Seriously! Chicago needs a revival. Get the paddles - CLEAR!

CT (working on it)

themostrighteous

zorandra wrote:Seriously! Chicago needs a revival. Get the paddles - CLEAR!

here they are. it is time to come out of hibernation peeps! the summer was cool enough after all.

i would still like to do this tasting, especially since the weather is finally cooling. can y'all post some Friday & Saturday evenings that work for you in October & November? i will do so later today.

COME ON, CHICAGO, LET'S HEAR FROM YOUS!!! :D

cheron98

themostrighteous wrote:here they are. it is time to come out of hibernation peeps! the summer was cool enough after all.

i would still like to do this tasting, especially since the weather is finally cooling. can y'all post some Friday & Saturday evenings that work for you in October & November? i will do so later today.

COME ON, CHICAGO, LET'S HEAR FROM YOUS!!! :D

Well, October is kind of out for me. What with Vegas and all

November - any weekend pre-Thanksgiving should be OK.

themostrighteous

themostrighteous wrote:COME ON, CHICAGO, LET'S HEAR FROM YOUS!!! :D

must be that everyone is exclusively sipping brewskis now that the Bears look like they might contend...

come on, people, SPEAK UP!

(if the Port thing doesn't do it for you, then speak up on that front - we're an easygoing bunch...)