MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 185 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

SoCal #8. Last Update: 03/27/09 6:10 pm PDT

The floor is open to suggestions on themes.

THE Date: March 28th.

OK, here is the updated "Living, Breathing Document". Remember it can change; it is not set in stone. Just post your correction and it will be updated.

THEME: Italian Varietal wines
DATE: 3/28/2009
TIME: Wine tasting at 5:00 pm (Absinthe at 7 pm)
LOCATION: TimByrd's (off 605 fwy, Long Beach/Lakewood/Cypress area)

Attendees: (so far)

MAYBES:
REGRETS:

• everyone who misses this one

timbyrd wrote:.. snip ....

As an option for another gathering, I'll propose taking it to the next dimension - w.w cubed! It would be a day to get together and build Corrado-cubes.

-- T

timbyrd wrote:At the moment, either March 14th or 28th would do for SoCal #8 "Cube Day". (And yes, it's drink wine after using power tools, just like it's burn after pillaging.) I was looking on wikipedia about both dates, to see which would have a better excuse for a get together, but didn't notice anything.

-- T

Sounds like nobody wants to build the cubes....

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

Bueller? Bueller?

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

clayfu

quality posts: 10 Private Messages clayfu

where is timbyrd for inquiring minds.

timbyrd

quality posts: 2 Private Messages timbyrd
clayfu wrote:where is timbyrd for inquiring minds.

I'm here - last party guests didn't leave until a bit after 5am.

Oh. You mean where in SoCal will this event be taking place?

Well, depending on how look at your map:

- Long Beach area

or

- Just off the 605 between the 405 and the 91.

-- T

Official holder of unofficial, unauthorized, non-woot gatherings.
My cellar

annsalisbury

quality posts: 4 Private Messages annsalisbury

Please count me (+1) as a maybe for this GTG, depending on the date.

MarkDaSpark

annsalisbury wrote:Please count me (+1) as a maybe for this GTG, depending on the date.

Yea, more fresh blood .... err, new wineaux!!

Glad to hear you might be able to attend.

Which date is better for you? 14 or 28?

timbyrd

I'd like to point out that - Sparky's wording on the big list of w.w. events to the contrary - we are not building cubes for *me*. I already have three of my own, and no place to put more without doing some construction. So peeps, this is an opportunity to build cubes for yourselves. If there is a closet you are intending to install them in, be sure to measure before wandering by.

-- T

(edit: working -> wording)

My cellar

cjsiege

quality posts: 14 Private Messages cjsiege
timbyrd wrote:I'd like to point out that - Sparky's working on the big list of w.w. events to the contrary - we are not building cubes for *me*. I already have three of my own, and no place to put more without doing some construction. So peeps, this is an opportunity to build cubes for yourselves. If there is a closet you are intending to install them in, be sure to measure before wandering by.

-- T

Mmm-hmmm. And if you want to build a cube and forget to measure your own closet, you could just happen to use the dimensions for timbyrd's closet.

And then you could just happen to help build timbyrd some new closets at the SoCal #9!

annsalisbury

MarkDaSpark wrote:Yea, more fresh blood .... err, new wineaux!!

Glad to hear you might be able to attend.

Which date is better for you? 14 or 28?

Probably the 14th, but I don't think the 28th will be as bad as I thought. So go with the majority and I'll make it work.

MarkDaSpark

annsalisbury wrote:Probably the 14th, but I don't think the 28th will be as bad as I thought. So go with the majority and I'll make it work.

Well, so far you ARE the majority .....

So your 1st choice is the 14th, and 2nd would be the 28th?

K00L

quality posts: 0 Private Messages K00L

I (+1) plan on finally joining in.
I vote for the 14th as first choice.

I believe I could make either one, but the 28th may be solo.

annsalisbury

MarkDaSpark wrote:Well, so far you ARE the majority .....

So your 1st choice is the 14th, and 2nd would be the 28th?

Yes, please. We can do both dates, though. As much as I like them, we won't be building cubes. We have all the storage we need and I want no reason to use the master bedroom closet for wine storage. Once the current wine is out of there, we will be living within our storage budget. {Yeah, right.}

Tuba1060

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Tuba1060

Put me in for a tentative yes, with an equally tentative +1. I'll know for sure as I get a better handle on my workload - as a parallel to that, I'm indifferent between the two dates, as I don't know the workload. Figured this is a good one to make my W.W meet-up debut.

timbyrd

Well, now it turns out I'm going to be in England March 12-22. (Blame the Monday side-deal this week.) So the 14th is out for me.

-- T

My cellar

MarkDaSpark

timbyrd wrote:Well, now it turns out I'm going to be in England March 12-22. (Blame the Monday side-deal this week.) So the 14th is out for me.

-- T

Carp! Everyone was chiming in that the 14th was better. What about early in April (since I will be flying to Buffalo late April).

MarkDaSpark

Bump.

annsalisbury

MarkDaSpark wrote:Bump.

So... what's the new date?

MarkDaSpark

annsalisbury wrote:So... what's the new date?

Sounds like the 28th will be it.

MarkDaSpark

Bump back to page 1.

And is anyone interested????

annsalisbury

MarkDaSpark wrote:Bump back to page 1.

And is anyone interested????

I think we are still in. We could always reschedule...

MarkDaSpark

Tuba1060 wrote:Put me in for a tentative yes, with an equally tentative +1. I'll know for sure as I get a better handle on my workload - as a parallel to that, I'm indifferent between the two dates, as I don't know the workload. Figured this is a good one to make my W.W meet-up debut.

Great. Also, are you just for the tasting or are you interested in building cubes too?

And need to know from k00l as well.

K00L

MarkDaSpark wrote:Great. Also, are you just for the tasting or are you interested in building cubes too?

And need to know from k00l as well.

Sparky, I am in for the tasting. Not too interested in the cubes.

timbyrd

As seems to happen with events at my place, something else is going to occur at the same time. The sales director of an absinthe importer is visiting the US, and the 28th was chosen for the Southern California get together and my house was volunteered as the location.

But we'll keep it a purist alcoholic sorta-kinda gathering. And for clayfu's sake, I won't invite the bellydancers. :P

-- T

My cellar

Nostrom0

quality posts: 13 Private Messages Nostrom0
timbyrd wrote:As seems to happen with events at my place, something else is going to occur at the same time. The sales director of an absinthe importer is visiting the US, and the 28th was chosen for the Southern California get together and my house was volunteered as the location.

But we'll keep it a purist alcoholic sorta-kinda gathering. And for clayfu's sake, I won't invite the bellydancers. :P

-- T

Which absinthe?

Stash at CT

timbyrd

Nostrom0 wrote:Which absinthe?

I believe that this trip, er, visit, he's promoting Clandestine.

-- T

My cellar

javadrinker

quality posts: 4 Private Messages javadrinker

I won't be able to make it this go around. I have family birthday gatherings going on the 28th. Let's see, if memory serves...I have my sis's birthday in March, my niece's birthday in March, and my nephew's birthday in March. And they all culminate right around that weekend. This is going to be an expensive month.

And the path to drunken poverty continues... Java's Stash at CT

• Wine.woots: um, lost count.
  • Other woots: um, lost count too. I might have a problem.

timbyrd

Man, you just gotta think outside the bottle. Tell your sis, niece and nephew that you are throwing them a party on the 28th, and that it's going to be so big you can't have it at your place. Problem solved.

Well, if Java isn't coming then that means clay probably isn't either, because I personally have never seen the latter without the former. That means I can invite dancing girls without worrying about corrupting the purity of the tasting. (What can I say, I like women and song with my wine.)

-- T

My cellar

MarkDaSpark

timbyrd wrote:Man, you just gotta think outside the bottle. Tell your sis, niece and nephew that you are throwing them a party on the 28th, and that it's going to be so big you can't have it at your place. Problem solved.

Well, if Java isn't coming then that means clay probably isn't either, because I personally have never seen the latter without the former. That means I can invite dancing girls without worrying about corrupting the purity of the tasting. (What can I say, I like women and song with my wine.)

-- T

And it doesn't sound like anyone wants to build the cubes either (I don't need any). So maybe just the tasting.

Maybe before the absinthe and the belly dancers?

MarkDaSpark

Tim,

Can we do the Wine Tasting starting at 5:00 pm, and have the Absinthe group start later?

What time are you thinking for them?

annsalisbury

MarkDaSpark wrote:Tim,

Can we do the Wine Tasting starting at 5:00 pm, and have the Absinthe group start later?

What time are you thinking for them?

I think that might work best for us, too.

MarkDaSpark

annsalisbury wrote:I think that might work best for us, too.

TimothyB?? TimothyB?? TimothyB??

(instead of Bueller? Bueller?)

MarkDaSpark

zTimothyBz wrote:Well, now it turns out I'm going to be in England March 12-22. (Blame the Monday side-deal this week.) So the 14th is out for me.

-- T

Okay. Tim is out of the country, and hasn't responded.

So, I will email him and hope he checks while on his trip.

Probably no updates until he gets back ....

zTimothyBz

quality posts: 2 Private Messages zTimothyBz

One of my absinthe friends asked me this:

Tim, if possible, could you send me a list of wines the winos will be tasting that night? I am putting together a little tapas menu for you. It would be nice to know everything I will be pairing.

What should I be telling her?

I've passed on the 5-7 vs 7-?? suggestion. For now, let's assume that's the plan. Since there will likely be cooking done in my kitchen before the gathering, some of the absinthe drinkers may become temporary wineaux.

-- T

My cellar

MarkDaSpark

zTimothyBz wrote:One of my absinthe friends asked me this:

What should I be telling her?

I've passed on the 5-7 vs 7-?? suggestion. For now, let's assume that's the plan. Since there will likely be cooking done in my kitchen before the gathering, some of the absinthe drinkers may become temporary wineaux.

-- T

We do need a theme .... Maybe Mandolina, since it was up recently, and we have a quick tasting order to go with.

Anybody else have any thoughts?

annsalisbury

MarkDaSpark wrote:We do need a theme .... Maybe Mandolina, since it was up recently, and we have a quick tasting order to go with.

Anybody else have any thoughts?

No Mandolina in the house. Maybe something broader, like Italian varietals?

MarkDaSpark

annsalisbury wrote:No Mandolina in the house. Maybe something broader, like Italian varietals?

Good Idea! Let's go with that one.

K00L

annsalisbury wrote:No Mandolina in the house. Maybe something broader, like Italian varietals?

OK, now that we are getting closer, what should I bring? Wine, of course. Food, donation, belly dancers?

MarkDaSpark

K00L wrote:OK, now that we are getting closer, what should I bring? Wine, of course. Food, donation, belly dancers?

An Italian Varietal for the wine, Some food item for 8-10 people, and Tim will provide the belly dancers .....

Just let us know what you are bringing, so we can make sure no duplicates.

annsalisbury

MarkDaSpark wrote:An Italian Variatel for the wine, Some food item for 8-10 people, and Tim will provide the belly dancers .....

Just let us know what you are bringing, so we can make sure no duplicates.

Count me in for some kind of Italian deli meat and either crackers or bread. For the meat, how much? A pound, a pound and a half, two pounds...?

MarkDaSpark

annsalisbury wrote:Count me in for some kind of Italian deli meat and either crackers or bread. For the meat, how much? A pound, a pound and a half, two pounds...?

Umm, ask your butcher shop (or deli) how much for 8 to 10 people.