MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 182 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

SoCal #7: Weekend at MadWineaux - Madison Cellars Vineyard, Paso Robles Area.

Updated: 2/12/09, 10:30 pm

The MadWineaux (MadWine & MadWino) duo has graciously offered to host SoCal #7 at their vineyard in Paso Robles area on Saturday, February 14th (Holiday weekend). Overnighters welcome, but there is limited furniture (couch and some tables only). So we would need to bring our portable chairs with us.

Wood stove heats the 5 room house (I think I got this right), but no beds. So we'd have to bring sleeping bags, etc. But in their vineyard!!! Cool!

THE Date: February 13 - 15

OK, here is the updated "Living, Breathing Document". Remember it can change; it is not set in stone. Just post your correction and it will be updated.

THEME: Pre-SoCal#7 Festivities: Arrival & Dinner
DATE: February 13, 2009
TIME: TBD (6:00 PM or so for Dinner?)
LOCATION: Madison Cellars Vineyard, Paso Robles - Dinner at Loading Chute

Attendees: (so far)

THEME: Pre-SoCal#7 Festivities: Paso Robles Wine Tour
DATE: February 14, 2009
TIME: 10:00 AM - ??? (4:00 PM?)

SOCAL #7 THEME: Paso Robles Wines (Bring a Paso Wine & your Wine Glass)
TIME: 5:30 PM BBQ - 7:00/7:30 PM Wine Tasting

MAYBES:
REGRETS:

Okay. Some Details:

madwine wrote:Food: Bring what you want. Limited cooking supplies, but the basics are there, but muffins, yogurt, fruit, veggies, cheese, etc. I normally stop at Costco and buy pre-made stuff. Coffee in the a.m. followed by mimosa's works for me Bring to share or just for yourself (just hope some poor slob doesn't eat it on you and claim that they didn't see your name on it ). We will also dine out - or you can dine in. There are no rules of what you have to do and when you have to do it.

madwine wrote:There is space and WELCOME!

CJ, the basics are there. Cooking will be fun but gourmet is prob. out. Paper & plastic will be our china.

So, it's shaping up as: All arrive, meet & greet on Fri. followed by dinner at the Loading Chute. Sat., breakfast at home and wine tasting followed by grill out dinner. Sun., is open.

madwine wrote:Grill steaks, fish, chicken, veggie skwewers Sat. nite.? Jon wants to grill out by the outdoor fire. Voice your opinion here. And he wants to go for bacon & eggs for breakfast each morn. Hey, we could always call our neighbor and ask for fresh eggs right from the hen! The kids love to find where they lay their eggs. We pay $2. a dozen and it goes to their kids college fund.

madwine wrote:Yes, air mattress, sleeping bag, pillow, towel, toothbrush & toothpaste. It's a modest, sprawling ranch house. Clean w/ electricity & running water. Just no furniture.

Someone needs to provide napkins. Also a dessert for Saturday?

So, what should everyone bring?

1) Something to grill for Saturday night dinner (steaks, fish, chicken, veggie skwewers?)

2) Drinks (OJ/Milk/etc.) for breakfast on Sat/Sun.

3) Money for Dinner on Friday, plus limo (about how much?), plus for eggs/bacon on Sat/Sun (or bring your own).

4) Something to sleep on and in (air mattress and sleeping bag) as well as pillow, towel, toothbrush & toothpaste.

5) Something to sit on.

6) Oh, and a Paso Wine for the tasting. Duh.

7) Wine Glass for the Wine Tasting on Saturday.

madwine wrote:Then my job here is done!

K, we are located 15 miles from downtown Paso and 12 from Atascadero. There are NO services on the way, only ranches, vineyards, and wineries. We are 2 miles from the small town of Creston. If you blink, you will miss it. It has an elementary school, an old jail, a post office, a country store, a bar - w/ good burgers, and a restaurant (the Loading Chute). Jon & and dine there plenty. We'll prob. plan to eat there on Fri. nite. Hey, maybe they'll even have a barn dance going on.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

madwine

quality posts: 3 Private Messages madwine
MarkDaSpark wrote:SoCal #7: Weekend at MadWineaux - Madison Cellars Vineyard, Paso Robles Area.

The MadWineaux (MadWine & MadWino) duo has graciously offered to host SoCal #7 at their vineyard in Paso Robles area on Saturday, February 14th (Holiday weekend). Overnighters welcome, but there is limited furniture (couch and some tables only). So we would need to bring our portable chairs with us.

Wood stove heats the 5 room house (I think I got this right), but no beds. So we'd have to bring sleeping bags, etc. But in their vineyard!!! Cool!

The floor is open to suggestions on themes.

EDIT:

THE Date: February 14-15

OK, here is the updated "Living, Breathing Document". Remember it can change; it is not set in stone. Just post your correction and it will be updated.

THEME: TBD
TIME: TBD

Thoughts, comments are welcome. Corrections too!

What?!? When did this happen? Where was I? I thought we were all watching football?

You got it all mostly right. 5 bedroom house. One furniture set and limited kitchen stuff, think paper plates and plastic forks. Not for the light sleeper, as the wolves will howl at night and early am.

ERMD

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ERMD
madwine wrote:What?!? When did this happen? Where was I? I thought we were all watching football?

You got it all mostly right. 5 bedroom house. One furniture set and limited kitchen stuff, think paper plates and plastic forks. Not for the light sleeper, as the wolves will howl at night and early am.

Oh man, will J open his cellar? By the way where are the new ones? nothing on the site yet.Allmost out(I know 'already'?)

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98

Stupid company not giving us all the stupid holidays.

Stupid cost of flights out to CA.

Stupid not knowing CA well enough to figure out a proper airport to fly to ANYWAY.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

ERMD

cheron98 wrote:Stupid company not giving us all the stupid holidays.

Stupid not knowing CA well enough to figure out a proper airport to fly to ANYWAY.

SLO or I go LAX and drive along the ocean a big portion

cheron98

ERMD wrote:SLO or I go LAX and drive along the ocean a big portion

What is SLO?

ERMD

cheron98 wrote:What is SLO?

St Luis Obisbo (spelling wrong)

cheron98

ERMD wrote:St Luis Obisbo (spelling wrong)

There's still issues 1 & 2 to deal with Especially since I'm heading out to San Fran area the following weekend

clayfu

quality posts: 10 Private Messages clayfu

Too bad, i'd totally go if it wasn't for the fact that... my school doesn't give president's day off... and i'll be up north visiting the girley for valentines day!

tommythecat78

quality posts: 18 Private Messages tommythecat78

I may be in on this one. Will probably be +2 if I can go. I will probably fly into LA and drive up with my friend and my cousin.

Edit: Maybe not the +2...Those 2 are dating so they may have other plans for Valentines Day.

___________________________________________________________________________________________
My Cellar (has not been updated in forever)
Do the people want fire that can be applied nasally? -Golgafrinchan Marketing Consultant

javadrinker

quality posts: 4 Private Messages javadrinker

One other thing we discussed is that kids are welcome this go-around (not that I have any myself). The Madwine tots will be around and any kids present can camp out (or indoors really) while the grown-ups try to not act like grown-ups.

And the path to drunken poverty continues... Java's Stash at CT

• Wine.woots: um, lost count.
  • Other woots: um, lost count too. I might have a problem.

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42

If I wasn't already going to be flying back home from Ft. Lauderdale that same day (the 14th) after a weeklong Caribbean cruise, I'd so consider going this time around. Especially since it's being billed as a weekend affair. Not that I could afford it anyway, I just want to get my ass out to CA.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

madwine

javadrinker wrote:One other thing we discussed is that kids are welcome this go-around (not that I have any myself). The Madwine tots will be around and any kids present can camp out (or indoors really) while the grown-ups try to not act like grown-ups.

Yes, and there is a tree fort that Jon built in the vineyard too. I will also bring a t.v. that will serve the kids for the Game Cube, and the adults for the "Singing Machine" at night. I will try to answer any and all questions, if not, defer to Sparky & Java. Because this is what happened: One minute, I have 3 armchair quarterbacks watching the game, who then went pro (outside to play football at half time), then back to armchair quarterbacks & event coordinators. All the while feverishly checking their calendars and coaching the games at the same time! Make me dizzy!

madwine

Jon & I will be driving up Fri. morn. If anyone wants to convoy at that time let me know. It's also a good idea to have everyones cell. If one is out of service range (this is the country), someone else should or could be in range. If anyone is flying in, I'm sure the driving peeps can all pool our resources together to ensure you are outfitted for "camping".

nallie

quality posts: 8 Private Messages nallie

Well, my initial response was 'no way in heck am I taking my precious innocents to a "tasting" ', but then what to my wondering (not wandering, for the record my eyes do not wander, not that there is anything wrong with that) eyes should appear but a gift from Loweeel, Java, Tim and Sparky via MadWine.

What could such a gift be that it would cause me to reconsider my initial refusal? Two books, one about the 3 martini playdate and one about the 3 martini family vacation. So, after I do a little reading I just may just be in after all, at least for a day trip... I'll keep you posted.

"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all." - h.keller
"If you can do something about it, there is no need to worry. If you cannot do anything about it, there is no use in worrying." - j.white (and also Shantideva)

MarkDaSpark

nallie wrote:Well, my initial response was 'no way in heck am I taking my precious innocents to a "tasting" ', but then what to my wondering (not wandering, for the record my eyes do not wander, not that there is anything wrong with that) eyes should appear but a gift from Loweeel, Java, Tim and Sparky via MadWine.

What could such a gift be that it would cause me to reconsider my initial refusal? Two books, one about the 3 martini playdate and one about the 3 martini family vacation. So, after I do a little reading I just may just be in after all, at least for a day trip... I'll keep you posted.

Excellent! Java was thinking Lucidgrrl might bring her kids (Chewie included) up if she can that weekend.

And MadWine also got the same books from all of us as well .... hmmm, a theme for the two of them?

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

cheron98 wrote:Stupid company not giving us all the stupid holidays.

#1: You could fly into LB or LAX. Java or I could probably drive you up too.

#2: SAN Luis Obispo =SLO

MarkDaSpark

madwine wrote:Yes, and there is a tree fort that Jon built in the vineyard too. I will also bring a t.v. that will serve the kids for the Game Cube, and the adults for the "Singing Machine" at night. I will try to answer any and all questions, if not, defer to Sparky & Java. Because this is what happened: One minute, I have 3 armchair quarterbacks watching the game, who then went pro (outside to play football at half time), then back to armchair quarterbacks & event coordinators. All the while feverishly checking their calendars and coaching the games at the same time! Make me dizzy!

Tree Fort??!!?? TREE FORT?!!!!?!?!!! Whoo Hoo!!

madwine

MarkDaSpark wrote:Excellent! Java was thinking Lucidgrrl might bring her kids (Chewie included) up if she can that weekend.

And MadWine also got the same books from all of us as well .... hmmm, a theme for the two of them?

Yes, I did! And Thank You All! But you also told me to keep it hush, hush, till Nallie got hers. And I did!

madwine

MarkDaSpark wrote:Tree Fort??!!?? TREE FORT?!!!!?!?!!! Whoo Hoo!!

Sparky, no, the tree fort is for the kids! You go shoot a gun or ride the quad, K? Once an adult goes in there, it's no longer sacred. Jacob always checks it. It's sound!

tenuki

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tenuki
madwine wrote:Sparky, no, the tree fort is for the kids! You go shoot a gun or ride the quad, K? Once an adult goes in there, it's no longer sacred. Jacob always checks it. It's sound!

Obviously he needs to build a fort for drunken adult males Sadly I was thinking the same thing Sparky was, whoo hoo!

CT

MarkDaSpark

madwine wrote:Sparky, no, the tree fort is for the kids! You go shoot a gun or ride the quad, K? Once an adult goes in there, it's no longer sacred. Jacob always checks it. It's sound!

Adult????? Me?????? Just ask Cheron .... I don't wanna grow up, I'm a Toys Я Us kid.

MarkDaSpark

Bad news .... Weekend in Paso is out. Complications per MadWine.

So any other weekend in February??? Or do we want to do the Wine Cube building party in Feb instead of March?

tommythecat78

quality posts: 18 Private Messages tommythecat78
MarkDaSpark wrote:Bad news .... Weekend in Paso is out. Complications per MadWine.

So any other weekend in February??? Or do we want to do the Wine Cube building party in Feb instead of March?

___________________________________________________________________________________________
My Cellar (has not been updated in forever)
Do the people want fire that can be applied nasally? -Golgafrinchan Marketing Consultant

MarkDaSpark

MarkDaSpark wrote:Bad news .... Weekend in Paso is out. Complications per MadWine.

Sounds like it's back on for the Vineyard. More info next week.

joelsisk

quality posts: 9 Private Messages joelsisk
MarkDaSpark wrote:Sounds like it's back on for the Vineyard. More info next week.

Hope you all get more than Java, Sparky, and a married couple

javadrinker

quality posts: 4 Private Messages javadrinker
joelsisk wrote:Hope you all get more than Java, Sparky, and a married couple

Since you won't be around Java & Sparky might be all they get.

And the path to drunken poverty continues... Java's Stash at CT

• Wine.woots: um, lost count.
  • Other woots: um, lost count too. I might have a problem.

MarkDaSpark

javadrinker wrote:Since you won't be around Java & Sparky might be all they get.

I think tenuki was interested, until MadWine nixed us in the Tree Fort .... she said it was for kids!!!

allanorn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages allanorn

Tempting. I'd have to make it a weekend since I'd be driving or possibly taking the train from SD. When do you need to know so I can reserve a floor space?

madwine

allanorn wrote:Tempting. I'd have to make it a weekend since I'd be driving or possibly taking the train from SD. When do you need to know so I can reserve a floor space?

The train is HOURS long. We're driving up from SD too. We'll leave Fri a.m. We'll be there the whole weekend, so consider floor space reserved. Just give us all a heads up.

tenuki

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tenuki
MarkDaSpark wrote:I think tenuki was interested, until MadWine nixed us in the Tree Fort .... she said it was for kids!!!

Just kinda lurking, but might be interesting. Spend Fri. night in Santa Cruz or Monterey, and hang out a little Sat. for a tasting? Probably have to find someone to drag along if I do. For some reason the thought of meeting strangers with kids in a vineyard in the middle of nowhere is more frightening than strangers in Vegas.

CT

madwine

tenuki wrote:Just kinda lurking, but might be interesting. Spend Fri. night in Santa Cruz or Monterey, and hang out a little Sat. for a tasting? Probably have to find someone to drag along if I do. For some reason the thought of meeting strangers with kids in a vineyard in the middle of nowhere is more frightening than strangers in Vegas.

We are all harmless! Come see for yourself

MarkDaSpark

tenuki wrote:Just kinda lurking, but might be interesting. Spend Fri. night in Santa Cruz or Monterey, and hang out a little Sat. for a tasting? Probably have to find someone to drag along if I do. For some reason the thought of meeting strangers with kids in a vineyard in the middle of nowhere is more frightening than strangers in Vegas.

Lots of wineries in the area! Hit Santa Barbara on the way up or down too.

I'll probably hit Turley on the way back down.

allanorn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages allanorn
madwine wrote:The train is HOURS long. We're driving up from SD too. We'll leave Fri a.m. We'll be there the whole weekend, so consider floor space reserved. Just give us all a heads up.

How long does it take to drive? I thought the train was something like 8 hours but I could be mistaken. I think I used Google and the drive was 6 hours?

If you're in SD feel free to give me a jingle - I'm looking for some new people to share wine with and know where a lot of the good wine bars are.

madwine

allanorn wrote:How long does it take to drive? I thought the train was something like 8 hours but I could be mistaken. I think I used Google and the drive was 6 hours?

If you're in SD feel free to give me a jingle - I'm looking for some new people to share wine with and know where a lot of the good wine bars are.

If you are in SD proper, you should be able to make the drive in 5 hours, providing you don't have two kids in the back seat asking for food and bathroom breaks every hour or so. Jon's best time was 3 hours, 45 min out of Carmel Valley. This was non-stop - he was driving the Excursion w/ the extra lg. tank. My best was 5 hours and that was w/ two kids.

In comparison, the train is like 9 or 10 hours. It stops at every station ALL the way up there and back. On the plus side, there is the bar cart I've never taken it, but I know people who have. They were retired and had a lot of time on their hands so it was no big deal.

We're in Carlsbad. Our wine bar seems to always be in our kitchen

annsalisbury

quality posts: 4 Private Messages annsalisbury

Just got back from Paso, so this trip is a no go for us. If you want any suggestions on places to taste / eat, I'm happy to provide 'em.

duckduckgoose

quality posts: 3 Private Messages duckduckgoose

Interested in attending...has a theme/time of day been selected yet? Will be driving down from Santa Cruz.

Thanks!

DrWineaux

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DrWineaux

FYI
http://www.rhonerangers.org/about/pasorobles.php

Event Feb 15th

madwine

duckduckgoose wrote:Interested in attending...has a theme/time of day been selected yet? Will be driving down from Santa Cruz.

Thanks!

A handful of us will be there "camping" out for the whole weekend. So, no formal tasting time has been set yet for the day trippers. Please let us know your schedule. I'm sure many will also want to tour the Paso area and wine taste, dine, hang-out. The floor is open on theme. Well and for sleeping bags too I'm thinking a Paso theme is prob. appropriate.

MarkDaSpark

DrWineaux wrote:FYI
Paso Robles Rhone Rangers Experience

Event Feb 15th

Fixed the link.

The day's events included a seminar on "Rhone Essentials" with tastings of the region's core Rhone varietals and blends, a vintners' lunch where attendees and vintners share food, wine and conversation, and a walk-around tasting featuring wines from all members of the Paso Robles chapter of the Rhone Rangers. Tickets for seminar, lunch and tasting are just $75/person, and tickets to the tasting are $25/person.