jwhite6114

quality posts: 119 Private Messages jwhite6114

DETAILS:
DATE: 3/7/09
TIME: 7:00PM (EST)
THEME: Old World v. New World II -- The Next Seven
HOST: hershelk
please PM hershelk for directions
NOTE: In the interest of keeping things orderly, we are requesting that we keep the number of attendees at 20 or below. Right now there is ONE OPEN SPACE within this limit. Please speak up quickly if you are interested in attending.

If you are interested in attending another NoVA tasting, please chime in on the NoVA #12 thread as that event is still being planned.

ATTENDEES LIST (so far):

1. hershelk
  2. InShadows
    - Will bring some sort of food. Doesn't know what yet. Maybe a nice pesto tuna salad with sun-dried tomatoes.
  3. kkv
    - leaning towards a fresh shrimp/mango salsa to pair with the whites
    - or perhaps I'll bring hot crab hors d'oevres
  4. cjseige
    - cheese plate
  5. tripgrad
  6. tripgrad+1
  7. Loweeel
  8. Loweeel+1
  9. spdrcr05
  10. spdrcr05+1
    - Old world raspberry bars
  11. mizerock
  12. iByron
  13. iByron+1
  14. leroydasquirrel
    - mix of crawfish pistolettes , shrimp pistolettes, and crab pistolettes
  15. fairnymph
    - asparagus/leek/wild mushroom/fontina savory tart. With some tarragon for seasoning.
  16. tewkewl
  17. hershelk+1
  18. hershelk+2

REGRETS:
  1. Lasgar
  2. cheron98
  3. theresa1013
  4. SeanOD
  5. nabrunk
  6. jwhite6114
  7. WV69
  8. kmango
    - Cheesetique goodness
  9. kmango+1

WINES:
OLD WORLD:
NEW WORLD:

last updated: 3/6

CT | | | | | |

kkv123

quality posts: 10 Private Messages kkv123
jwhite6114 wrote:I'm a bit late (it's been a week since #8), but as we must always have at least two NoVA/DC gatherings in the works, I am starting the new thread now.

Dates anyone? I recommend looking at the following:

Mar 7
Mar 14
Mar 21
Mar 28

Chime in with preferences. Willing hosts, please state which of these dates work for you.

Dearest, I think you mean tasting #11. I'm hosting tasting #10 on January 31st.

Loweeel

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Loweeel
kkv123 wrote:Dearest, I think you mean tasting #11. I'm hosting tasting #10 on January 31st.

We could also do Feb 28 (at least in theory) and then again at the end of march.

Just something to keep in mind for #s 12-14 is that Passover is observed (but no seders) over the 2nd weekend in April. So while I can probably attend, I won't be cleansing my palate with much besides matzah.

Favorites: Roessler ¬ KRPN ¬ Etude ¬ Stuart ¬ KRPort ¬ Tøøthstejnn ¬ Titus ¬ URSA ¬ InZin ¬ SBMystery ¬ SxBS&Z+4 ¬ DC3&4 ¬ TyC3&FB ¬ FeEquus ¬ PSPS ¬ Harvey ¬ SBRes&CR ¬ Corison ¬ Noceto ¬ Humbug ¬ KRSEXY3SOME ¬ PoiZin06 ¬ POLY ¬ Castoro ¬ SBCab ¬ KRPS2K ¬ HW12 ¬ GSaké ¬ הגפןCab ¬ PepBr

CT ¬ PSychos' Path
"The one difference between me and Petite Sirah is that I don't have a dumb period." - YT

InShadows

quality posts: 1 Private Messages InShadows
jwhite6114 wrote:I'm a bit late (it's been a week since #8), but as we must always have at least two NoVA/DC gatherings in the works, I am starting the new thread now.

Dates anyone? I recommend looking at the following:

Mar 7
Mar 14
Mar 21
Mar 28

Chime in with preferences. Willing hosts, please state which of these dates work for you.

Feb 28, Mar 14, Mar 21 are out.. otherwise I'm free.

CT
“Every time you think something or someone is stupid, it just means there is another thing in this world you don’t understand.” - In memory of Robert, 1975-2009
If you make a man a fire, he'll be warm for a night. If you set him on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Past NoVA Gatherings

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98

You people are nuts. That's why I love you. I'll check my schedule when I return home and let you know

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

spdrcr05

quality posts: 30 Private Messages spdrcr05

I'm in. I don't plan my calendar out that far so whichever date we pick gets first dibs.

I would offer to host... but as Cheron, TripGrad, & InShadows can testify from coming to my LabRat mini-tastings, I'm parking challenged.

Edit: Should any other region start to get close we could add in things like that... technically a sanctioned WW NoVa/DC event as I posted it and got responses via the site. ;-)

In periods of profound change, the most dangerous thing is to incrementalize yourself into the future -- Thomas Edision

kkv123

Loweeel wrote:We could also do Feb 28 (at least in theory) and then again at the end of march.

Just something to keep in mind for #s 12-14 is that Passover is observed (but no seders) over the 2nd weekend in April. So while I can probably attend, I won't be cleansing my palate with much besides matzah.

For tasting #11, February 28th is a no-go for me. The other dates mentioned are clear so far.

Looking ahead to tasting #12, I'd also prefer to skip the second weekend in April (April 11). Over the years, my personal tradition has evolved to include observances of both Holy Week AND Passover.

nabrunk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nabrunk

Hi,

I'm new to woot and live in NoVA. How can be involved with/attend a gathering? Thanks.

"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars." ~ Oscar Wilde

cjsiege

quality posts: 13 Private Messages cjsiege
nabrunk wrote:Hi,

I'm new to woot and live in NoVA. How can be involved with/attend a gathering? Thanks.

Hi there nabrunk! Just keep checking the message boards and tell us you want to come! We normally meet in the Arlington/Alexandria area, due to Metro access. The host will send out a Private Message with info on address/directions when we get within a week or so of the gathering. (We do not post addresses or phone numbers openly, to assure privacy.)

Plan to bring a bottle of wine and a munchie!

nabrunk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nabrunk
cjsiege wrote:Hi there nabrunk! Just keep checking the message boards and tell us you want to come! We normally meet in the Arlington/Alexandria area, due to Metro access. The host will send out a Private Message with info on address/directions when we get within a week or so of the gathering. (We do not post addresses or phone numbers openly, to assure privacy.)

Plan to bring a bottle of wine and a munchie!

These are things I can do! I'm very excited!

"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars." ~ Oscar Wilde

jwhite6114

Loweeel wrote:We could also do Feb 28 (at least in theory) and then again at the end of march.

L -- sorry for my ignorance, but I am not following. If we have the tasting in March, are you good? Does a March tasting mean any restrictions for you (or anyone else)?

Edit: So should we start a thread for #12?

CT | | | | | |

cjsiege

As it stands right now, I'm available any date in March. Pending work travel...of course!

jwhite6114

Updated first post.

Seems we don't get a lot of folks responding until well after we've nailed down a date, so I recommend we start looking for a host for this event, and narrow down dates based on that person's availability.

CT | | | | | |

cheron98

Hurry up and pick a date, will ya, NWA is having a sale... I can't make 1/31, but if you tell me, like, now, the date for this one, I can probably swing it...

Loweeel

I really like the "kkvenue" -- lots of space, metro-accessible, lots of kitchen/counter space, comfy seats, large room, and we don't overwhelm the HVAC system (unlike my place in the summertime). The only downside, and it's a small one at that, is that the bathrooms are a bit out of the way.

I am happy to host if the tasting is a small one, but my place seems to top out at around 20.

Favorites: Roessler ¬ KRPN ¬ Etude ¬ Stuart ¬ KRPort ¬ Tøøthstejnn ¬ Titus ¬ URSA ¬ InZin ¬ SBMystery ¬ SxBS&Z+4 ¬ DC3&4 ¬ TyC3&FB ¬ FeEquus ¬ PSPS ¬ Harvey ¬ SBRes&CR ¬ Corison ¬ Noceto ¬ Humbug ¬ KRSEXY3SOME ¬ PoiZin06 ¬ POLY ¬ Castoro ¬ SBCab ¬ KRPS2K ¬ HW12 ¬ GSaké ¬ הגפןCab ¬ PepBr

CT ¬ PSychos' Path
"The one difference between me and Petite Sirah is that I don't have a dumb period." - YT

jwhite6114

Loweeel wrote:I really like the "kkvenue" -- lots of space, metro-accessible, lots of kitchen/counter space, comfy seats, large room, and we don't overwhelm the HVAC system (unlike my place in the summertime). The only downside, and it's a small one at that, is that the bathrooms are a bit out of the way.

I am happy to host if the tasting is a small one, but my place seems to top out at around 20.

I like KKVenue (nice name for it ), too -- and have no issues contributing to facilities charges. It would be a bit large for some of the smaller gatherings, but could still be quite comfortable.

KKV, it sounds like this, then, is a question for you: can you host on one of the dates listed proposed for this event?

Mar 7 and Mar 28 seem to work for most of the respondents so far. I suspect Mar 28 would get the larger gathering, too, as it is further separated from #10.

CT | | | | | |

hershelk

quality posts: 6 Private Messages hershelk
Loweeel wrote:

I am happy to host and can handle a decent crowd if we don't mind spreading out. I'm just not sure of my March schedule yet. I know I could do the 7th as I will be out of town the beginning of the week and back by the 4th, so will unlikely leave again after that. Not quite as sure about the rest of the month yet.

CT

Lasgar

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Lasgar

The 14th and 28th both work for me.

cjsiege

urrrgh....must...not...drop...down...to...second page!

BUMP!

iByron

quality posts: 40 Private Messages iByron

We did the "big eight" in October. At some point we need to hit the "second seven " in a similar New World v Old World tasting:

Pinot Gris
Gewurtztraminer
Chenin Blanc
Gamay
Sangiovese
Tempranillo
Nebbiolo

Again, education would be the focus, and we'd do two of each varietal: one Old World and one New World bottling.

Aside from Sangiovese, Tempranillo, and maybe Chenin, that these are truly the "second seven" may be controversial and subject to debate. Both PG and Gewurtz are actually "gray" grapes that are traditionally produced white. We already did a Malbec OW/NW tasting back in #2 (or 3).

Probably best to do in April or May, but presented here for consideration.

iByron

iByron's iCellar (I'm a reciprocal CT Cellar Buddy)

Your Private WIneaux

cjsiege

I'm now unavailable for March 28. There is a good news story behind that which I will share soon. Not about me personally, but good news all the same.

cjsiege

iByron wrote:We did the "big eight" in October. At some point we need to hit the "second seven " in a similar New World v Old World tasting:

Pinot Gris
Gewurtztraminer
Chenin Blanc
Gamay
Sangiovese
Tempranillo
Nebbiolo

Again, education would be the focus, and we'd do two of each varietal: one Old World and one New World bottling.

Aside from Sangiovese, Tempranillo, and maybe Chenin, that these are truly the "second seven" may be controversial and subject to debate. Both PG and Gewurtz are actually "gray" grapes that are traditionally produced white. We already did a Malbec OW/NW tasting back in #2 (or 3).

iByron

Hmmm...6 of 7 all-time favorites for me!!! I am soooo up for this theme! If not in March, then definitely soon!

jwhite6114

Looks like Mar 7 is the best date for those responding so far. And Hershel has already indicated he can host that evening as well.

Shall we call it for Mar 7, then?

CT | | | | | |

InShadows

quality posts: 1 Private Messages InShadows
jwhite6114 wrote:Looks like Mar 7 is the best date for those responding so far. And Hershel has already indicated he can host that evening as well.

Shall we call it for Mar 7, then?

I'm now open for the 14th but if you are calling it for the 7th then it doesn't matter.

CT
“Every time you think something or someone is stupid, it just means there is another thing in this world you don’t understand.” - In memory of Robert, 1975-2009
If you make a man a fire, he'll be warm for a night. If you set him on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Past NoVA Gatherings

Loweeel

iByron wrote:We did the "big eight" in October. At some point we need to hit the "second seven " in a similar New World v Old World tasting:

Pinot Gris
Gewurtztraminer
Chenin Blanc
Gamay
Sangiovese
Tempranillo
Nebbiolo

iByron

It will be hard to find decent Gamay that's actually gamay (as opposed to Napa Gamay, aka Valdigue) outside of Beaujolais that would be sufficient to "face off" with a Cru Beaujolais.

Same with Nebbiolo outside of the Piedmonte.

There are other cross terroir battles that might be interesting -- inc., Barbera, (I'm sure you guys are sick of PS and have at least had a few), Verdelho, PV, CF, Viognier, Marsanne, Roussane,

CT ¬ PSychos' Path

jwhite6114

Loweeel wrote:It will be hard to find decent Gamay that's actually gamay (as opposed to Napa Gamay, aka Valdigue) outside of Beaujolais that would be sufficient to "face off" with a Cru Beaujolais.

There are other cross terroir battles that might be interesting -- inc., Barbera, (I'm sure you guys are sick of PS and have at least had a few), Verdelho, PV, CF, Viognier, Marsanne, Roussane,

OK ... who is posting using Loweeel's account? Or has the wine gone to my head and made me imagine that Loweeel said we might possibly be sick of PS?

CT | | | | | |

Loweeel

jwhite6114 wrote:OK ... who is posting using Loweeel's account? Or has the wine gone to my head and made me imagine that Loweeel said we might possibly be sick of PS?

I realize that *YOU* are . I'm not. I could do a nice Israel/Australia/Cali/PA showcase, if there's interest w/r/t the theme.

I'm good with whatever you guys want to do, theme-wise.

CT ¬ PSychos' Path

WV69

quality posts: 2 Private Messages WV69

Hey all, sorry i'm late with this, but I am most likely in for this one.

I LOVE Byron's idea of the "Second Seven" with the learning component being front and center.

I could host as well if needed/wanted, date dependent. Metro accessible, etc., blah, yadda.

jwhite6114

For the most part, 3/7 and 3/14 work for the same number of people, though there is an attendee for each date that cannot make the other.

I threw out making it 3/7. At the time this was the only date for which anyone had volunteered to host -- WV has now indicated he can host, too. While some have indicated they are newly available for 3/14, no one seems to have objected to 3/7.

Thoughts before we call it 3/7 and commence the wrestling match between Hershel and WV to host?

CT | | | | | |

iByron

quality posts: 40 Private Messages iByron
Loweeel wrote:It will be hard to find decent Gamay that's actually gamay (as opposed to Napa Gamay, aka Valdigue) outside of Beaujolais that would be sufficient to "face off" with a Cru Beaujolais.

I agree. The part about Nebbiolo might be debatable...there's true Neb in the new world) but I definitely agree.

What I went for with the bit eight -- and would be going for with second seven -- was/is varietals one would typically find anywhere they're buying wine: a restaurant with a limited wine list, the wine section of a grocery store, the South.

What people (I hope) took from the comparison was the typical characteristics of the grapes as well as the subtle (or not so subtle) differences in style and terroir.

That is what I would hope people could take from a "second seven" tasting: grapes that would typically be found in slightly more broad environs (mid-range restaurant wine lists, wine sections in gourmet grocery stores, two or three major cities in the South), and a sense of what the general characteristics would of each are.

And again, I think the only three that can be said to be solidly in the "seconds" are Chenin Blanc, Sangiovese, and Tempranillo. The other four spaces are up for grabs (maybe Pinot Gris/Grigio is on the fence).

iByron

iByron's iCellar (I'm a reciprocal CT Cellar Buddy)

Your Private WIneaux

tripgrad

quality posts: 3 Private Messages tripgrad

OK, I'm in for this plus one.
Since we had several newbies attend #10, I think we can give up on the idea of small gatherings. Everyone wants to be part of the best in the country!

R.I.P.
WINE.W00T NOV 4, 2012

cheron98

Sooo is 3/7 the settled-upon date then? Wanna get that thread title updated?

My attendance to this solely depends on whether or not the DFW tasting actually pulls through. If it does, then I'm going to Texas the weekend before and will not attend this. If not (and I'll make that determination for myself by the end of this week) then I will be here. There. With you guys. That one.

hershelk

Should we just call #11 as March 7 at my place? I also like the next 7 or 8 old world v New World concept. It also let us limit the number of wines a bit. The education component is also interesting and it bookend nicely with the big 8 which was also at my place. I could handle a crowd the size we just had, but not much bigger.

In addition to Chenin Blanc, Sangiovese and tempranillo, I think we should include Pinot Grigio/Pinot Gris, Gewurztraminer and Viognier. The Viognier allows us to bring in Virginia's strong suit. Cabernet Franc would also offer some VA opportunities. Other possibilities to add include several already mentioned by Loweel and iByron.

CT

jwhite6114

hershelk wrote:Should we just call #11 as March 7 at my place? I also like the next 7 or 8 old world v New World concept. It also let us limit the number of wines a bit. The education component is also interesting and it bookend nicely with the big 8 which was also at my place. I could handle a crowd the size we just had, but not much bigger.

In addition to Chenin Blanc, Sangiovese and tempranillo, I think we should include Pinot Grigio/Pinot Gris, Gewurztraminer and Viognier. The Viognier allows us to bring in Virginia's strong suit. Cabernet Franc would also offer some VA opportunities. Other possibilities to add include several already mentioned by Loweel and iByron.

3/7 it is. There has been plenty of time to object, and with a host lined up I think we need to go for it.

I will update the thread momentarily, and start a thread for #12 soon as well.

CT | | | | | |

kkv123

hershelk wrote:In addition to Chenin Blanc, Sangiovese and tempranillo, I think we should include Pinot Grigio/Pinot Gris, Gewurztraminer and Viognier. The Viognier allows us to bring in Virginia's strong suit. Cabernet Franc would also offer some VA opportunities.

If we include VIognier, I can bring the 2007 Pearmund Vionier that Gary Vaynurchuk reviewed so enthusiastically. I can bring the 2006 as well if we wish to do a vertical tasting of this wine.

WV69

quality posts: 2 Private Messages WV69
hershelk wrote:In addition to Chenin Blanc, Sangiovese and tempranillo, I think we should include Pinot Grigio/Pinot Gris, Gewurztraminer and Viognier. The Viognier allows us to bring in Virginia's strong suit. Cabernet Franc would also offer some VA opportunities. Other possibilities to add include several already mentioned by Loweel and iByron.

I think this is a great idea, and I absolutely think we should add in the Cab Franc. I mean, why hold back?!

Depending upon the number of folks participating, maybe we can have one of each varietal from US terroir, and one or two companions from "elsewhere"...maybe from regions that are well known for that varietal (or not well-known for it, suprise us!). I dunno, something like that.

mizerock

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mizerock

I heard raves about the last event, I'm putting the next one (3/7) on my calendar right now.

JVC MiniDV Camcorder with 35x Optical Zoom Acoustic Research Black iPod Dock and 3 Piece Speaker Set
RCA Active Noise Canceling Headphones
Laser Level – 2 Pack
Dazzle DVD Recorder

hershelk

kkv123 wrote:If we include VIognier, I can bring the 2007 Pearmund Vionier that Gary Vaynurchuk reviewed so enthusiastically. I can bring the 2006 as well if we wish to do a vertical tasting of this wine.

Time to create the grid. We already have a new world Viognier. Thanks KKV. Depending on the crowd and number of bottles we can talk about a vertical. Any further discussion on which veriatals should be included.

CT

Loweeel

hershelk wrote:Time to create the grid. We already have a new world Viognier. Thanks KKV. Depending on the crowd and number of bottles we can talk about a vertical. Any further discussion on which veriatals should be included.

I am happy to do cross-terroir PS (Cali/PA/Australia/Israel) if there is interest;

Otherwise I'd prefer:
New world CF (Iron Horse '05)

CT ¬ PSychos' Path

sonadora

quality posts: 2 Private Messages sonadora

Hershel has cats right?