MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 185 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

SoCal #6. Last Update: 01/17/09 12:38 pm

The floor is open to suggestions on themes.

THE Date: January 17th

OK, here is the updated "Living, Breathing Document". Remember it can change; it is not set in stone. Just post your correction and it will be updated.

THEME: Blind Wine Tasting ($25+ Red/White Wine per person)
DATE: 1/17/09
TIME: 3:30 PM Meet at Winery - 4:00 PM Tour - 5 PM Dinner - 8:00 PM Tasting at Java's
LOCATION: Tour / Dinner at the San Antonio Winery in LA first. Then convoy to Java's in Fullerton. Contact Java for directions.


Pictures here




Attendees:


    1. cradle snatcher - JoelSisk - yes for dinner
    2. MichelleShari - yes for dinner
    3. MarkDaSpark - Snacks & Cheeses, Wine Wafers, & Port - yes for dinner
    4. JavaDrinker - Bread & Water + glassware (non-fancy stuff) - yes for dinner
    5. Java's Boss and Java's Boss's wife - yes for dinner
    6. Merbill + SWMBO - no for dinner
    7. Clayfu - no for dinner
    8. Allanorn - no for dinner

MAYBES:
REGRETS:


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

clayfu


quality posts: 10 Private Messages clayfu

to continue a bit on Javier's comments, is this a wine.woot gathering or is this a Tim's friends gathering with an occasional wooter that might drop by. Just looking for some clarification. Can't really call it a SOCAL wine.woot tasting if it's the later.

cjsiege


quality posts: 14 Private Messages cjsiege
clayfu wrote:to continue a bit on Javier's comments, is this a wine.woot gathering or is this a Tim's friends gathering with an occasional wooter that might drop by. Just looking for some clarification. Can't really call it a SOCAL wine.woot tasting if it's the later.


I think Tim's aiming for it to be an official w.w gathering. Based on what he was saying in the Nov 1 thread. But that doesn't mean that other people can't come.

ddeuddeg


quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
cjsiege wrote:I think Tim's aiming for it to be an official w.w gathering. Based on what he was saying in the Nov 1 thread. But that doesn't mean that other people can't come.



I suppose if many of "Tim's friends" are wooters, it's pretty much a moot point, but who is the final arbiter on exactly what constitutes a wine.woot tasting, anyway?

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne


Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 185 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
ddeuddeg wrote:I suppose if many of "Tim's friends" are wooters, it's pretty much a moot point, but who is the final arbiter on exactly what constitutes a wine.woot tasting, anyway?



You are getting together to taste the wines first, and the party follows. Actually, the party starts when Java starts wearing the lampshade.


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

javadrinker


quality posts: 4 Private Messages javadrinker
ddeuddeg wrote:I suppose if many of "Tim's friends" are wooters, it's pretty much a moot point, but who is the final arbiter on exactly what constitutes a wine.woot tasting, anyway?



I don't think we need to go so far as to take this to arbitration but I would think the distinction would be fairly straightforward. There have been many wine.woot gatherings and if you click on any of the threads you'll see a summary of attendees and the like. The main thing you'll see is a list of wine.woot user ID's. If non-wooters are attending (which is more than welcome) then they are listed as "friend" or "+1" or something to that effect. The underlying theme that holds it all together is that this is a wooter event, started by wooters for wooters. I wouldn't go to a CT gathering or a Winelibrary gathering and call it a wine.woot tasting. Those gatherings would be sponsored and held by people with a common interest (above and beyond liking wine) and would rightfully be called whatever the heck they call their gatherings. By the same token, I wouldn't call a regular party that wooters have been invited to a woot gathering either. Many of us are friends now and we'll invite each other to stuff but there is a big difference (as C-Fu pointed out) between a wine.woot event and a party that includes some wooters as guests.

And the path to drunken poverty continues... Java's Stash at CT

  • Wine.woots: um, lost count.
  • Other woots: um, lost count too. I might have a problem.

javadrinker


quality posts: 4 Private Messages javadrinker
MarkDaSpark wrote:You are getting together to taste the wines first, and the party follows. Actually, the party starts when Java starts wearing the lampshade.



Damnit Sparky...I DO NOT WEAR LAMPSHADES!!!!

.

.

.

I only steal them.

And the path to drunken poverty continues... Java's Stash at CT

  • Wine.woots: um, lost count.
  • Other woots: um, lost count too. I might have a problem.

timbyrd


quality posts: 2 Private Messages timbyrd
clayfu wrote:is this a wine.woot gathering or is this a Tim's friends gathering with an occasional wooter that might drop by[?]

(question mark mine)

And the answer is obvious, it's whatever you'd like the least, clay...

After looking at Java's clarification, perhaps I should withdraw the suggestion. I'm more interested in bringing people together than in dividing them into separate boxes. There will still be a get together on January 3rd. (Yes, we can.) There will still be woot-wine being poured. (Yes, we can.) All my acquaintances on wine.woot are still invited. (Yes, you are.) But that's not all.

-- T

Official holder of unofficial, unauthorized, non-woot gatherings.
My cellar

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 185 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
timbyrd wrote:(question mark mine)

And the answer is obvious, it's whatever you'd like the least, clay...

After looking at Java's clarification, perhaps I should withdraw the suggestion. I'm more interested in bringing people together than in dividing them into separate boxes. There will still be a get together on January 3rd. (Yes, we can.) There will still be woot-wine being poured. (Yes, we can.) All my acquaintances on wine.woot are still invited. (Yes, you are.) But that's not all.

-- T



Okay, sounds like we need a new date and/or place? Since the woot gatherings I've been to (SoCAL & NoVA/DC) have had (in)formal tastings as the primary event, with food, etc. and discussions free flowing around the tastings. And it doesn't sound as if Tim's party idea will be such.

New thoughts?


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

clayfu


quality posts: 10 Private Messages clayfu
timbyrd wrote:(question mark mine)

And the answer is obvious, it's whatever you'd like the least, clay...

After looking at Java's clarification, perhaps I should withdraw the suggestion. I'm more interested in bringing people together than in dividing them into separate boxes. There will still be a get together on January 3rd. (Yes, we can.) There will still be woot-wine being poured. (Yes, we can.) All my acquaintances on wine.woot are still invited. (Yes, you are.) But that's not all.

-- T



Just curious, you can't really call it a "wine.woot" gathering. More like Hey there's a gathering at my house you're all invited! Just found it funny that the wine.woot "gatherings" you've created have been with 1 -2 wooters at the most and the majority dominated by your friends who may or may not have interest in actually discussing and drinking the wine and more about having a fun party. (nothing wrong with having a party!)

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 185 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

Where is Madwine when we need her???? Oh right. At the nude beach in Hawaii ....

Okay, my suggestion is for an AVA or Region specific theme. So something like Coro Mendocino or Barossa (Aus) or Languedoc or similar. Thoughts?


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

spyyyyyke


quality posts: 0 Private Messages spyyyyyke

Can someone please elaborate on this, for the newer wine wooters (like me)? What goes on? Do we bring wine, food, pay some money, RSVP, or what? Where is this one taking place? How many people attend? What should I know that I am not thinking to ask?

Thanks!!!!!

clayfu


quality posts: 10 Private Messages clayfu
spyyyyyke wrote:Can someone please elaborate on this, for the newer wine wooters (like me)? What goes on? Do we bring wine, food, pay some money, RSVP, or what? Where is this one taking place? How many people attend? What should I know that I am not thinking to ask?

Thanks!!!!!



$100 a person =P

spyyyyyke


quality posts: 0 Private Messages spyyyyyke
clayfu wrote:$100 a person =P



Thank you. So where is it taking place? Or is that to be determined?

javadrinker


quality posts: 4 Private Messages javadrinker
spyyyyyke wrote:Thank you. So where is it taking place? Or is that to be determined?



Don't take C-man seriously...or really anyone with a or =P as part of their post. We haven't really gotten to the planning stage yet. This next So Cal gathering is still just in the a pre-idea stage. Hell, we only just finished having #4 this weekend and #5 snuck in as a mini-gathering a few weeks ago. Just keep an eye on this thread and hopefully we'll get #6 all planned and worked out.

And I guarantee you won't need to bring $100. Unless you really want to impress us. Ooooo. Aaaaah. $100.

And the path to drunken poverty continues... Java's Stash at CT

  • Wine.woots: um, lost count.
  • Other woots: um, lost count too. I might have a problem.

themostrighteous


quality posts: 12 Private Messages themostrighteous
javadrinker wrote:And I guarantee you won't need to bring $100. Unless you really want to impress us. Ooooo. Aaaaah. $100.


man, you are such a cheap date: i wouldn't settle for anything less than $1,000. :P

EDIT: :P isn't exactly =P, so nya!

do you know... what biodynamics is?

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 185 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
spyyyyyke wrote:Can someone please elaborate on this, for the newer wine wooters (like me)? What goes on? Do we bring wine, food, pay some money, RSVP, or what? Where is this one taking place? How many people attend? What should I know that I am not thinking to ask?

Thanks!!!!!



Basically, a good idea is to read one of the gathering threads that you are interested in attending, and that will give you a good idea of what is required, etc. there.

We hash out a theme, when, and where. And then we take it from there. Wine Wooters can bring 1, 2, or more bottles to share. We RSVP in the thread, and whoever started the post will usually update the first post to keep track of who is coming and bringing what wines.

Sometimes, if it is at a restaurant, there will be money needed. If it is local and at someone's place, you will usually bring some type of food to share as well.

The number of attendees will vary. A lot depends on the size of the location.


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

spyyyyyke


quality posts: 0 Private Messages spyyyyyke
javadrinker wrote:Don't take C-man seriously...or really anyone with a or =P as part of their post. We haven't really gotten to the planning stage yet. This next So Cal gathering is still just in the a pre-idea stage. Hell, we only just finished having #4 this weekend and #5 snuck in as a mini-gathering a few weeks ago. Just keep an eye on this thread and hopefully we'll get #6 all planned and worked out.

And I guarantee you won't need to bring $100. Unless you really want to impress us. Ooooo. Aaaaah. $100.



Whew! $100 would be . . . well . . . $100. Hope it's not the weekend of Jan 03 'cause I'd have to miss it. Any other weekend in Jan would be good. How about San Diego? Great deals on hotels these days because of the economy. And I know some incredible restaurants that don't cost a week's pay.

spyyyyyke


quality posts: 0 Private Messages spyyyyyke
spyyyyyke wrote:Whew! $100 would be . . . well . . . $100. Hope it's not the weekend of Jan 03 'cause I'd have to miss it. Any other weekend in Jan would be good. How about San Diego? Great deals on hotels these days because of the economy. And I know some incredible restaurants that don't cost a week's pay.



And another thing . . . weekend of the 17th or 24th kind of begs for an inauguration theme. Regardless of your political views, no question this is a historic event in this country's history. That said, I refuse to wear a top hat like Uncle Sam, and I refuse to grow a white beard.

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 185 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
spyyyyyke wrote:And another thing . . . weekend of the 17th or 24th kind of begs for an inauguration theme. Regardless of your political views, no question this is a historic event in this country's history. That said, I refuse to wear a top hat like Uncle Sam, and I refuse to grow a white beard.



Won't be the 24th, as Java and I will be in Chicago that weekend.


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 185 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
spyyyyyke wrote:Whew! $100 would be . . . well . . . $100. Hope it's not the weekend of Jan 03 'cause I'd have to miss it. Any other weekend in Jan would be good. How about San Diego? Great deals on hotels these days because of the economy. And I know some incredible restaurants that don't cost a week's pay.



Usually we try to get it at someone's place, then there are no dings to an outside source (restaurant).


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

spyyyyyke


quality posts: 0 Private Messages spyyyyyke
MarkDaSpark wrote:Usually we try to get it at someone's place, then there are no dings to an outside source (restaurant).



Are there any wine.wooters in San Diego other than me?

javadrinker


quality posts: 4 Private Messages javadrinker
spyyyyyke wrote:Are there any wine.wooters in San Diego other than me?



Au contraire mon frere (and I have no idea how that should be spelled). There are several SD wooters around and most of the So Cal gatherings have taking place down in your neck of the woods so far. Here's what you've missed so far:

SoCAL Wine Woot #3: (Aug. 15th) The PSith Master Arrives (TimByrd's Bday Party on Aug 9th)

Party for SoCal wine.wooters **WARNING**please see amended first post for viewer guidelines

San Diego/Temecula tasting event

You might want to read up to make sure you really want to hang with us.

Some of the SD wooters have gotten together for dinner now and then too (I made it down from OC for one once).

And the path to drunken poverty continues... Java's Stash at CT

  • Wine.woots: um, lost count.
  • Other woots: um, lost count too. I might have a problem.

Khrisward


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Khrisward

Yep, there sure are other wooters down here Spyke. I actually live in Solana Beach (near del mar) and work downtown (in the food/wine business), and I'm always looking for new friends who enjoy a good bottle of wine.

clayfu


quality posts: 10 Private Messages clayfu
spyyyyyke wrote:Are there any wine.wooters in San Diego other than me?



yes there are. Me. Just had a huge dinner full of great wine for my birthday on saturday. Yum Yum

spyyyyyke


quality posts: 0 Private Messages spyyyyyke

Good to know there are others down here. We should lobby to have the gathering down here.

Khrisward: Been her almost 20 years -- of course I know where Solana Beach is!

Clayfu: What part of the County are you in? (Never end a sentence with a preposition!)

I work in Mission Valley and live near SDSU.

clayfu


quality posts: 10 Private Messages clayfu
spyyyyyke wrote:Good to know there are others down here. We should lobby to have the gathering down here.

Khrisward: Been her almost 20 years -- of course I know where Solana Beach is!

Clayfu: What part of the County are you in? (Never end a sentence with a preposition!)

I work in Mission Valley and live near SDSU.



well.. since i messaged you to discuss buying a tooth and i stated i was at USD... =P.

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 185 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
spyyyyyke wrote:Good to know there are others down here. We should lobby to have the gathering down here.

Khrisward: Been her almost 20 years -- of course I know where Solana Beach is!

Clayfu: What part of the County are you in? (Never end a sentence with a preposition!)

I work in Mission Valley and live near SDSU.



Well, SoCal #2 & #3 were both in Carlsbad (SoCal #1 was in Temecula), so it's been mostly IN San Diego county.

And we are waiting to hear from the lovely MadWine (if she is back from Hawaii) about her availability again for this one.


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

javadrinker


quality posts: 4 Private Messages javadrinker

I'm still waiting for Chateau Nallie to be ready for an onslaught of wineaux...er...for a tasteful demure gathering of oenophiles.

And the path to drunken poverty continues... Java's Stash at CT

  • Wine.woots: um, lost count.
  • Other woots: um, lost count too. I might have a problem.

allanorn


quality posts: 0 Private Messages allanorn

I'd be up for an SD location around the 3rd, or we could try carpooling up to LA. I live in downtown SD for those who know the locale.

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 185 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

FYI,

JoelSisk will be around town during Martin Luther King holiday weekend for a wedding, and is willing to bring his Cradle-Robbing Visual Aid (MichelleShari) along if we can have a gathering that Saturday (17th?).

The wedding is in the San Fernando Valley, so not sure Casa Nallie or Casa Madwine would be applicable .....

But comments are welcome!!!


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

kylemittskus


quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus

I would like to attend but I will be in Mammoth snowboarding. Regrets.

Edit: that is, if you are sticking to January 3rd. I will continue to check in.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

K00L


quality posts: 0 Private Messages K00L
spyyyyyke wrote: . . . I refuse to wear a top hat like Uncle Sam, and I refuse to grow a white beard.



I already have a white beard, just not long and pointy.

K00L


quality posts: 0 Private Messages K00L
MarkDaSpark wrote:Well, SoCal #2 & #3 were both in Carlsbad (SoCal #1 was in Temecula), so it's been mostly IN San Diego county.

And we are waiting to hear from the lovely MadWine (if she is back from Hawaii) about her availability again for this one.



LAX area!!!! No problem going to OC!

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 185 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
kylemittskus wrote:I would like to attend but I will be in Mammoth snowboarding. Regrets.

Edit: that is, if you are sticking to January 3rd. I will continue to check in.



The 3rd will still be Tim's party, just not a Wine.Woot tasting gathering event per se. Tim has great parties, but it's not a normal Wine.Woot gathering.

No date or place or theme has been set yet.


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

joelsisk


quality posts: 10 Private Messages joelsisk

just thought I'd pop in and say hi! I don't want this to turn into the Craddle Robber fiasco like last time... though you all were able to do just fine without me and my craddle.

So, the short version is that we are definitely in town, and most likely available that Sat of MLK weekend (17 Jan), though, as Sparky mentioned, the wedding we're going to on Sun is in San Fernando Valley, so farther north than San Diego is a bit more convenient, though certainly not an absolute necessity.

Keep the discussion going, and we'll try to stay up to date and let you know any additional info as the time comes closer.

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 185 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
joelsisk wrote:just thought I'd pop in and say hi! I don't want this to turn into the Craddle Robber fiasco like last time... though you all were able to do just fine without me and my craddle.

So, the short version is that we are definitely in town, and most likely available that Sat of MLK weekend (17 Jan), though, as Sparky mentioned, the wedding we're going to on Sun is in San Fernando Valley, so farther north than San Diego is a bit more convenient, though certainly not an absolute necessity.

Keep the discussion going, and we'll try to stay up to date and let you know any additional info as the time comes closer.



What is this Craddle you speak of?

Now if it was the hot babe in the Cradle you speak of ......


Anywho, MadWine & Nallie are around the Carlsbad area. MadWine/MadWino have a fantastic place, but just south of Oceanside. TimByrd is in Lakewood, Off the 605 freeeway. Tim? Any plans for the 17th?

Or does anyone else have a location we could use in the LA area? Any restaurants with a low corkage fee?

Anyone? Is this thing on?


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

joelsisk


quality posts: 10 Private Messages joelsisk
MarkDaSpark wrote:What is this Craddle you speak of?

Now if it was the hot babe in the Cradle you speak of ......



Craddle, rhymes with paddle, it's like cradle with a Boston accent, yeah, that's it.

the only other thing I gots to say is that it was after 2 am and most of a bottle of V Sattui Dry Riesling

nallie


quality posts: 8 Private Messages nallie


Re: the MLK SoCal event with non-locals in attendance - Will know more tomorrow, but I just heard that some family members who were planning on visiting in April are instead coming in January. If it's for MLK weekend, I’m grieved to say I'll have to miss the Joel and Michelle show entirely. Otherwise, I'm in but cannot hostess, stay too late or travel too terribly far to attend as my kids do not go to their dad's that weekend. Regardless of my involvement, let’s find a way to show some special SoCal hospitality to our Joel and his cradle robbee.

"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all." - h.keller
"If you can do something about it, there is no need to worry. If you cannot do anything about it, there is no use in worrying." - j.white (and also Shantideva)

Tuba1060


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Tuba1060
clayfu wrote:well.. since i messaged you to discuss buying a tooth and i stated i was at USD... =P.



Hey, me too (the USD part, not the messaging)!

Anyway, I'm new to the w.w community, but I do love meeting people and drinking delicious wine with them. If the meetup ends up in SD, I'm in. And even if the meetup is elsewhere, I'm down to get together with some of the other locals at some point.