HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42

Starting up the thread for the January tasting.

THEME:Ring in the New Year with the Old
Please bring a wine that is 10 years old or older. No more than two wines per country/region.

IMPORTANT NOTE: The Format of this tasting has been decided to be done differently than any other we've done in the past. We've decided that we've too often had too many wines at the tastings and our palates are dead near the end.
So for this tasting we will have only 10 wines. Each attendee will list the wine they intend to offer up for the tasting. Then the collective attendees will vote on their top 10 choices. Those 10 wines will be opened and those attendees whose wines are not chosen are then responsible for bringing food.
Particularly for this tasting as these will be older wines, if one of the wines ends up being dead, then a wine from one of those not in the main list will be used as a backup.

DATE: Saturday, January 24th
HOSTS: Krugsters & Shamer
TIME: 3PM

ATTENDEES LIST (so far):
1. Krugsters - 1979 Clos l'Église (Pomerol)
2. Shamer - 1971 J. Pedroncelli Cabernet Sauvignon (Sonoma County)
3. HitAnyKey - 1987 Vincent Arroyo Petite Sirah
4. Cesare - 1996 Antichi Vigneti di Cantalupo Ghemme Collis Breclemae
5. Kttest - 1997 Sassotondo Ciliegiolo Toscana IGT
6. speedoo - 1998 S. Anderson Blanc de Blancs (Napa Valley)
7. rpm - 1978 Inglenook Cabernet Sauvignon Limited Cask (Napa Valley)
8. fdiaz - 1985 R. López de Heredia Rioja Reserva Viña Tondonia (Spain) (bottle provided by fdiaz&Thatguy&Thatgirl)
9. Thatguy - (combined contribution with fdiaz)
10. Thatgirl - (combined contribution with fdiaz)
11. bmckenna - 1997 Aldegheri Amarone della Valpolicella Santambrogio (Italy, Veneto)
12. marekny7 - 1998 Errazuriz Founder's Reserve Don Maximiano (Chile, Aconcagua)
13. iByron - 1993 Freiherr von Schleinitz Koberner Weißenberg Riesling Spätlese
14. iByron's +1
15. Thatgirl's +1 from England
16. bigriller - a very, very, very nice Burgundy white
17. bigriller's +1

The WINE LIST: (to be voted on)
1. 1979 Clos l'Église (Pomerol)
2. 1971 J. Pedroncelli Cabernet Sauvignon (Sonoma County)
3. 1987 Vincent Arroyo Petite Sirah
4. 1996 Antichi Vigneti di Cantalupo Ghemme Collis Breclemae
5. 1997 Sassotondo Ciliegiolo Toscana IGT
6. 1998 S. Anderson Blanc de Blancs (Napa Valley)
7. 1978 Inglenook Cabernet Sauvignon Limited Cask (Napa Valley)
8. 1985 R. López de Heredia Rioja Reserva Viña Tondonia (Spain)
9. 1997 Aldegheri Amarone della Valpolicella Santambrogio (Italy, Veneto)
10. 1998 Errazuriz Founder's Reserve Don Maximiano (Chile, Aconcagua)
11. 1993 Freiherr von Schleinitz Koberner Weißenberg Riesling Spätlese
12. 1998 R. López de Heredia Rioja Reserva Viña Tondonia (Spain)

VOTING PROCESS: Everyone needs to Vote for 12 wines. The top 10 wines will be chosen for the tasting. The other 2 will be brought by their owner as a backup in case one of the others are dead.
Anyone who doesn't have a wine chosen for the tasting will be responsibile for other things such as foods & cheeses, etc. Only exceptions to this rule is if two (or more) people pool their funds to buy an expensive older bottle of wine.
The DEADLINE for Voting will be next Sunday, Jan 11th.
Everyone who has not posted their specific bottle of choice that they would bring, please do so NOW.

MAYBES:

• canonizer - a '79 Bordeaux

Things Needed:
1. $5 for the door prize - 1995 Domaine Daniel Rion et Fils Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru Les Beaux Monts

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

speedoo

quality posts: 41 Private Messages speedoo

Count me in. I'll bring 1998 S. Anderson Blanc de Blancs.

But I'll open my next-to-last bottle around the holidays to make sure it's still good.

Krugsters

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Krugsters

Mine:
http://www.cellartracker.com/wine.asp?iWine=159256
1979 Clos l'Église (Pomerol)
So we have St. Émilion and Pomerol covered.
We still could use a left bank wine and if people want I can switch to:
1970 Château Rausan-Ségla (Rauzan-Ségla) from Margaux
http://www.cellartracker.com/wine.asp?iWine=22717

For Shamer:
http://www.cellartracker.com/wine.asp?iWine=584654
1971 J. Pedroncelli Cabernet Sauvignon

fdiaz01

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fdiaz01

I could bring a 1999 Tour Pibran Pauillac to get something from the left bank. However if someone else has something from that region i could bring an older red Rioja since we didnt get to taste a traditional one during the last tasting.. still early i guess....

HitAnyKey42

I suppose we could start discussing dates (and hosts), but it could even be too early for that right now. After all, do any of us REALLY know what we're going to be doing in the new year?
Obviously I'd say the 3rd should be out...still too close to New Years and the holidays.
That leaves probably the 10th, 17th, & 24th as probably best dates. I'm leaving the 31st out as that's too close to February and we all know we're gonna want to do a tasting in Feb.
As it stands right now I don't even have any tentative plans for any of those weekends, so I'm flexible for now.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

Krugsters

HitAnyKey42 wrote:I suppose we could start discussing dates (and hosts), but it could even be too early for that right now. After all, do any of us REALLY know what we're going to be doing in the new year?
Obviously I'd say the 3rd should be out...still too close to New Years and the holidays.
That leaves probably the 10th, 17th, & 24th as probably best dates. I'm leaving the 31st out as that's too close to February and we all know we're gonna want to do a tasting in Feb.
As it stands right now I don't even have any tentative plans for any of those weekends, so I'm flexible for now.

The 17th is MLK weekend. I think that's a bad weekend since many go away.

canonizer

quality posts: 22 Private Messages canonizer

I have to stay in 'maybe' land for winter tastings. My goal is to spend as much time as possible in vermont. However, assuming you have room and the skiing isn't happening, I'll definitely check in closer to the date.

signed.

rpm

quality posts: 167 Private Messages rpm
canonizer wrote:I have to stay in 'maybe' land for winter tastings. My goal is to spend as much time as possible in vermont. However, assuming you have room and the skiing isn't happening, I'll definitely check in closer to the date.

rpm - Pre 1980 California Cab tbd.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

Krugsters

rpm wrote:rpm - Pre 1980 California Cab tbd.

So we have California covered.

(I just wanted to see all 3 NYC at top, hee,hee)

Cesare

quality posts: 1563 Private Messages Cesare

We'll cover Italy, put us down for 2 tbd Italian wines.

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

Krugsters

Cesare wrote:We'll cover Italy, put us down for 2 tbd Italian wines.

Excellent!!!

thatguy314

quality posts: 7 Private Messages thatguy314

I'm bringing a Rioja. I haven't decided which yet though.

Tonight, I'm going to test a [url=http://www.cellartracker.com/wine.asp?iWine=94262[/url]. If it's as nice as I hope, M and I will bring one as our submission. The guy at PJ said it's drinking well now and has structure for at least another decade.

HitAnyKey42

thatguy314 wrote:I'm bringing a Rioja. I haven't decided which yet though.

Tonight, I'm going to test a 1995 La Rioja Alta Rioja Gran Reserva 904. If it's as nice as I hope, M and I will bring one as our submission. The guy at PJ said it's drinking well now and has structure for at least another decade.

I've added you to the list. I she going to join you for this tasting, or too soon to know?

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

thatguy314

quality posts: 7 Private Messages thatguy314
HitAnyKey42 wrote:I've added you to the list. I she going to join you for this tasting, or too soon to know?

She should come unless something comes up.

threemoons

quality posts: 18 Private Messages threemoons

Wow, more than 10 years old--gotta start digging...yes, please count me in on this! What kind of food pairing is being contemplated?

shamer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shamer
threemoons wrote:) What kind of food pairing is being contemplated?

Hmmmm....no idea. I say since the last three tasting will have been pretty narrow in scope we should open this one up to whatever. Any thoughts?

HitAnyKey42

threemoons wrote:Wow, more than 10 years old--gotta start digging...yes, please count me in on this! What kind of food pairing is being contemplated?

It hasn't been contemplated yet.
But I'd personally say that the food doesn't really need much of a theme, especially since the regions and types of wines will be so widespread as well. So simply wine-friendly food sounds like a good idea to me.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

kttest

quality posts: 2 Private Messages kttest
shamer wrote:Hmmmm....no idea. I say since the last three tasting will have been pretty narrow in scope we should open this one up to whatever. Any thoughts?

HitAnyKey42 wrote:It hasn't been contemplated yet.
But I'd personally say that the food doesn't really need much of a theme, especially since the regions and types of wines will be so widespread as well. So simply wine-friendly food sounds like a good idea to me.

I'd agree, anything that would be good with wine!

- Krista
"Wine is the most civilized thing in the world." -Ernest Hemingway.
NYC Tastings Summary courtesy of HAK

Krugsters

kttest wrote:I'd agree, anything that would be good with wine!

So there it is. Bring anything to pair with your selection that you want. Anything!

Should we start discussing a place and date?

bmckenna

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bmckenna

I'm down. I've got a few '99 and a '97 Napa Cab that I'd be willing to bring...will add them to my CT within the next week or so.

HitAnyKey42

Krugsters wrote:Should we start discussing a place and date?

Whichever date we choose, I vote for a time of 3pm or later. That's because we tend to have to work every Saturday of January and it'll be easier for me to get out of the office the later it is. As for date any of the three middle of the month Saturday's are fine with me right now.

The where....is there anyone even capable of hosting besides Krugsters and Cesare? We should most likely give Krugsters a break both because she'll have hosted #7 the prior month and she'll be much further along in the pregnancy.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

kttest

HitAnyKey42 wrote:Whichever date we choose, I vote for a time of 3pm or later. That's because we tend to have to work every Saturday of January and it'll be easier for me to get out of the office the later it is. As for date any of the three middle of the month Saturday's are fine with me right now.

The where....is there anyone even capable of hosting besides Krugsters and Cesare? We should most likely give Krugsters a break both because she'll have hosted #7 the prior month and she'll be much further along in the pregnancy.

Does this mean you're not offering to host?

I vote for the 10th or 24th with a 3pm start time.

- Krista

HitAnyKey42

kttest wrote:Does this mean you're not offering to host?

I vote for the 10th or 24th with a 3pm start time.

I would be glad to host if people wanted to make the trip out to me. Though, since I'd almost definitely have to be working those Saturdays I don't know how timing for setup and all that jazz would work out. So I should probably hold off until at least February for me hosting another one.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

Krugsters

We really, really don't mind hosting again in January. I need as much social activity as possible before I don't anymore!!
The weekend of the MLK holiday is out for us. That's the 17th.
How about the 24th? At 2:00 PM?

Cesare

quality posts: 1563 Private Messages Cesare
Krugsters wrote:We really, really don't mind hosting again in January. I need as much social activity as possible before I don't anymore!!

Sounds great.

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

kttest

Krugsters wrote:We really, really don't mind hosting again in January. I need as much social activity as possible before I don't anymore!!

Sounds good to me, thanks! HAK time to update the first post

- Krista

threemoons

kttest wrote:I'd agree, anything that would be good with wine!

Yeah, maybe people's most favorite wine nibbles. In my case that will probably mean CHEESE of some sort. :D

Oh, can I assume this will NOT be on New Year's Eve? I assume we all already have plans therefor....

kttest

threemoons wrote:Yeah, maybe people's most favorite wine nibbles. In my case that will probably mean CHEESE of some sort. :D

Oh, can I assume this will NOT be on New Year's Eve? I assume we all already have plans therefor....

Per Krugsters above we are aiming for 1/24 at 2pm, definitely not New Year's Eve.

- Krista

canonizer

If we're thinking the 24th, please put me down as a maybe. I'll think on wine.

signed.

HitAnyKey42

threemoons wrote:Oh, can I assume this will NOT be on New Year's Eve? I assume we all already have plans therefor....

I wish I already had plans for NYE. Right now I ain't got a clue what I'm doing. And I suppose sitting at home drinking myself into a stupor isn't the best of ideas?

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

canonizer

HitAnyKey42 wrote:I wish I already had plans for NYE. Right now I ain't got a clue what I'm doing. And I suppose sitting at home drinking myself into a stupor isn't the best of ideas?

I'll be in colorado, thinking of you guys. Ok, I probably won't be thinking of you guys.

signed.

threemoons

kttest wrote:Per Krugsters above we are aiming for 1/24 at 2pm, definitely not New Year's Eve.

24th works for me! :D

kttest

HitAnyKey42 wrote:I wish I already had plans for NYE. Right now I ain't got a clue what I'm doing. And I suppose sitting at home drinking myself into a stupor isn't the best of ideas?

It's still early! I haven't even given it any thought yet. There is too much to do until then...oh no the holiday stress has begun!

Oh and how about updating that first post??

- Krista

HitAnyKey42

kttest wrote:Oh and how about updating that first post??

Updated just for you, my dear.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

RJShaffer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages RJShaffer
HitAnyKey42 wrote:Updated just for you, my dear.

My pal Lowell Jacobson mentioned there'd be a wine.woot gathering in NYC sometime late Jan. Just wanted to mention I import wine from boutiques in Israel and I'll be in NYC around Feb 3rd. I'll have winery teams/winemakers from Flam, Margalit, Tulip, Tzora and maybe others. Anyone interested in a woot wine event Sunday 2/1 perhaps? I'll bring the wine!

Richard Shaffer
Israeli Wine Direct

canonizer

RJShaffer wrote:My pal Lowell Jacobson mentioned there'd be a wine.woot gathering in NYC sometime late Jan. Just wanted to mention I import wine from boutiques in Israel and I'll be in NYC around Feb 3rd. I'll have winery teams/winemakers from Flam, Margalit, Tulip, Tzora and maybe others. Anyone interested in a woot wine event Sunday 2/1 perhaps? I'll bring the wine!

Richard Shaffer
Israeli Wine Direct

Richard, You might just find your generosity taxed with such a wonderful offer! Lowell has great things to say.

signed.

canonizer

Also, If I am able to make it to this event,I will be bring either a '77 or a '79 bourdeaux. There are two bottles sitting on the bottom shelf of a closet in my office. They have been standing upright for at least 2 years. In all probability, the corks are gone, but perhaps there's a gem in the batch?

signed.

canonizer

Roommate found an uninventoried bottle of 1985 docg Barbaresco bottled by bianco luigi & figlio in one of his sister stores that he bought for $18. Supposed to be an excellent year for piedmont and he already told me I couldn't have it!

signed.

RJShaffer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages RJShaffer

GREAT! Just need to agree to the date if you guys want to make this happen so we can plan the rest of our trip around it.

We would LOVE to see you guys!

We want a BIG crowd to make these Israeli winemakers feel the love!!

Richard

HitAnyKey42

RJShaffer wrote:My pal Lowell Jacobson mentioned there'd be a wine.woot gathering in NYC sometime late Jan. Just wanted to mention I import wine from boutiques in Israel and I'll be in NYC around Feb 3rd. I'll have winery teams/winemakers from Flam, Margalit, Tulip, Tzora and maybe others. Anyone interested in a woot wine event Sunday 2/1 perhaps? I'll bring the wine!

Richard Shaffer
Israeli Wine Direct

I would most definitely be interested. And as far as I know that Sunday should be just fine for me. Especially if you're bringing the wine.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings